Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and tips and do the exercises.
- Focus on the most important facts. Don't give unnecessary background information.
- Make sure you include:
- the reason for writing (e.g. I am writing to ...)
- what went wrong
- what you would like to happen now.
- Complaint letters are usually written in a formal style.
- Use passives to be less direct and more formal, e.g. I was served quickly.
- Use Yours faithfully to sign off if you don't know the name of the person you're writing to.