You are here
An email to ask a colleague to do something
Learn how to write an email to ask a colleague to do something.
Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and tips and do the exercises.
- Some people prefer you to use their first names, and others prefer you to use their title (e.g. Ms/Mr) + their surnames. Find out what is normal in your company when writing emails.
- Explain the reason for the request.
- Give a deadline when possible.
- Give dates clearly.
- Make your request polite by starting it with Do you think you could … ? or I would be grateful if you/we/I could … .
- If you don't know the person you are writing to well, you can finish by writing Best regards just before you sign your name.