Possessives: reciprocal pronouns

Level: intermediate

When two or more people do the same thing, we can use the possessive forms of the reciprocal pronouns each other’s and one another’s:

They helped to look after each other’s children.

Submitted by Sophy on Fri, 23/02/2018 - 20:44

Hi Peter! I have a question for you. In exercise n° 1 about possessive : reciprocal pronouns I believe my answer was correct, however, the system informs me that I am wrong. Coul you help me?

Hello Sophy,

Did you press the Show Answers button (which appears after you press Finish) to see the difference between your answer and the system's answer? If you still don't understand what's wrong after that, please tell us what you think the correct answer is.

Submitted by Tomoaki Hachiya on Thu, 01/02/2018 - 06:57

As for possesive form, if you put an apostrophe to make possesive form, you cannot differentiate a single and plural, e.g. I will follow my teacher's plan. I will follow my teachers' plan. The pronunciations of above two sentences are exactly the same, aren't they? Then you cannot have get the information if the teacher is an only one teacher or two or more teachers, right? Maybe, it can't be helped anyway. Please let me know your advice.

Hello Tomoaki Hachiya,

You are correct. The pronunciation of these forms is identical and so only the context tells us if the speaker is referring to one or to more than one teacher.

Best wishes,

Excuse me! As the above sentences given, I'm afraid I'm wrong with the plural noun after singular possessive and singular noun after plural possessive. So are these sentences correct? If they are correct, can you identify them? Thank you. 1. I will follow my teacher's plan. 2. I will follow my teacher's plans. 3. I will follow my teachers' plan. 4. I will follow my teachers' plans.

Hi Kunthea,

All the sentences are correct! But they mean different things.

1. one teacher, one plan
  2. one teacher, many plans
  3. many teachers, one plan
  4. many teachers, many plans

Does that make sense?

Jonathan

Submitted by Agnes Nguyen on Sat, 31/12/2016 - 15:24

Hi there, Is this the proper way to use two possessive nouns in a sentence? E.g I am going over to Lauren's parents' house this evening. Many thanks!

Submitted by Peter M. on Sun, 01/01/2017 - 09:34

In reply to by Agnes Nguyen

Hi Agnes Nguyen,

You can use two possessive forms in the same sentence. Your example is a good one and it is correct.

Best wishes,

Hi Peter, Can I combine preposition and colon to make possessive forms of noun phrase? E.g The master plan of TSN airport' expansion schem. Many thanks!

Submitted by Peter M. on Fri, 06/01/2017 - 08:40

In reply to by Agnes Nguyen

Hi Agnes Nguyen,

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. There is no colon in the sentence you give. Are you sure you have written it correctly?

Best wishes,

So sorry as I mistyped. The correct is follow. E.g The master plan of TSN airport's expansion scheme. Many thanks!

Hello Agnes Nguyen,

There is still no colon in that sentence! The colon is this symbol

I think what you mean is an apostrophe (') and it is possible to use a possessive form with an apostrophe and possession shown with 'of' in the same sentence. Whether or not it is good style will depend upon the context in which it is used.

Best wishes,

Thank you very much indeed as I was on the level about apostrophe (')! Yes is it good style for journal style? Many thanks!

Hello Agnes Nguyen,

It can be good style, but it would depend on the particular use and context.

Best wishes,

Submitted by taj25 on Mon, 28/11/2016 - 08:31

hi peter how can i connect correct sentence like (n+v+c). i don't know how to use it.

Hello taj25,

I'm not completely sure I understand what you mean, but 'n' could be a noun phrase, 'v' a verb phrase and 'c' a complement. There are many sentences that fit this pattern, e.g. a sentence with a link verb like 'She looked happy'.

Is that what you mean?

Submitted by taj25 on Wed, 23/11/2016 - 11:04

hai let u know , where it use 'has" and have. i always confuse about that. pls clarify

Submitted by Peter M. on Thu, 24/11/2016 - 06:37

In reply to by taj25

Hello taj25,

We use 'has' when the subject is the third person and is singular (he/she/it). We use have for other forms (I/you/we/they).

I have a house.

You have a house.

We have a house.

They have a house.

He has a house.

She has a house.

The company has a house.

Best wishes,

hi peter i am worrying about "as soon as" what does that mean. why we using "as as". i don't know how to use it. if u have any lesson let me know. thanks

Hello taj25,

You can find a definition and examples of 'as soon as' in the dictionary (scroll down the page), and more information on how to use it on our verbs in time clauses page (it's similar to 'when').

Submitted by Ricardosaza on Sat, 24/09/2016 - 23:57

Hello. I want to study English for improve the same. Somebody can expalin about you advice me. I need very much grammar and estructure the sentences too. Thank you. My name is Pedro Ricardo Rodriguez. please help me, Grettings.

Hello Ricardosaza,

Welcome to LearnEnglish! You can study grammar in our grammar section (which is where we already are) and also in the language sections of our various series and programmes. For example, you might find Elementary Podcasts helpful - each episode has many tasks with it, some of which focus on grammar and vocabulary, and others on listening skills, for example. You can find that series here.

Please also visit our Help pages and our Frequently Asked Questions page. You can find a lot of practical advice there on learning most effectively.

Best wishes,

Submitted by Alifson on Fri, 27/05/2016 - 20:59

Hello Mr Peter, I am one of your student, I also gland to be your student, how can I putting my picture thank you.

Hello Alifson,

To put your picture, press on the words My account at the very top of this webpage. You should then see some information about your account and a small tab at the top that called Edit. If you press on that, you'll come to a page where there is a section where you can upload a picture.

Submitted by menanoshy on Sun, 12/04/2015 - 14:25

i have some problems but when i revew agine and agine i will be good in grammer .thanx for your to teach me

Submitted by aisha 6 on Wed, 16/07/2014 - 09:46

how i can put them in sentence

Hello aisha 6,

If you click on the link above (or here) then you will see how to use reciprocal pronouns in sentences, with explanations and examples to help clarify them.

Best wishes,

Submitted by ANKUR SAINI on Sat, 29/06/2013 - 05:13

Hello  , i am new register in British council please confirm me how to procedure in entered in regularly course  please can anybody  tell me .

Hello Ankur Saini,

LearnEnglish is a collection of online learning material for you to access and use free of charge.  Now that you've successfully registered for the site, feel free to explore and use the site to improve your English.  However, LearnEnglish does not organise courses so if you want to take a regular course then you need to contact the British Council where you would like to study.  You can find a list of British Council Teaching Centres here.

Best wishes,

Submitted by Zoje10 on Wed, 27/02/2013 - 16:56

hello,

is it possible that i can see oll the points of my oll games that i play?

Hello,

You asked this question on another page and I answered it there. Please ask questions once only to save time!

Best wishes,

Adam

Submitted by Hayet on Sun, 27/01/2013 - 16:33

when can we use reciprocal pronouns?

Submitted by Deborah Lika on Fri, 25/01/2013 - 16:57

hello everybody...i'm new here and i really want to know how to use this site..please can anybody tell me

Hello Deborah, and welcome to LearnEnglish!

To use the site, just see it as a library – borrow whatever interests you! A good place to start is our Elementary Podcasts. These are short radio shows about different topics. To help your listening, vocabulary and grammar, you can listen to them, read the transcripts, and do the exercises. You can talk to other learners in the comments, too. There is lots of other material in our Listen and Watch section as well. If you want to work on grammar, take a look at our grammar section.

Don't forget that we also have a search box. Put a topic you're interested in into the box – like 'meeting people' or 'the present simple' - and you'll get a list of pages about that topic.

We have a lot of different levels on the site, so don't worry if something is too hard – find something easier, and come back to it later. Just try to look at something every day!

Hope that helps,

Jeremy Bee

Submitted by alneiraster on Fri, 25/01/2013 - 15:51

Hello,

I want to know if "whose" could be a reciprocal pronoun?

Thanks

Submitted by umm-e-aimen on Fri, 10/08/2012 - 19:56

Reciprocal pronouns sound confusing

Submitted by Inas Nur Atika on Sun, 05/08/2012 - 17:28

Hi friends

I'm still confused with possessives : reciprocal pronouns because there isn't any further explanation.Does anyone can give me some example on how to use it ?

Submitted by anpha on Mon, 30/07/2012 - 16:01

hi everyone!

That the great way to learn E

Submitted by fati tima on Thu, 24/05/2012 - 14:13

hi this is a great site to learn English wow

Submitted by IenaHanish on Sat, 14/04/2012 - 03:49

I really want to learn English because I do not know English. Anyone who wants to help me because I can not speak in English.Pls help me...hiks2...

Submitted by Orxan Agayev on Fri, 09/03/2012 - 12:55

its very good grammar

Submitted by NasimKashif on Thu, 05/01/2012 - 12:06

Hello Adam.

I am new comer in this great family of learning English. I have been searching for some good institutes so as to improve my English skills especially with regards to grammar and vocabulary. A friend of mine told me to join this site. It looks good; lets see how much I can get benefit of this great effort by the British Council.

Regards

Nasim

Submitted by anis nabila (not verified) on Thu, 05/01/2012 - 03:17

hello...

i am very weak in writing assey... i need help from you adam...

Submitted by bakkar74 on Wed, 04/01/2012 - 08:36

Dear Adam,

I appreciate your cooperation with all else rely it's great website to introduce new gate for any person look up to learn English on his free time.

Thanks and regards