How to pay a compliment

Learn some words and phrases to pay or accept compliments.

Do the preparation task first. Then watch the video and do the task. You can read the transcript at any time.

Man: Good morning!

Woman: Morning!

Man: By the way, I just wanted to say well done on clinching that deal!

Woman: Oh, thanks. It wasn't too difficult.

Man: You're being modest! You did really well.

Woman: Thank you.

Man: You're a great manager, you know.

Woman: Do you think so?

Man: Oh, yeah.

Woman: I appreciate that.

-----

Man: Have you cut your hair?

Woman: Oh yes, I did, actually. Thanks for noticing!

Man: Where did you get it done?

Woman: Oh, just that place on the high street.

Man: They did a great job and it looks great with the outfit.

Woman: Do you think so?

Man: Oh yeah. Very fashionable.

Woman: Oh, it's just an old thing.

Man: Well, you've got a great sense of style.

Woman: Thank you, you too.

Man: Thank you.

-----

Man: Nice perfume, too. Is that Dream?

Woman: Well, yes, it is, actually.

Man: You wear it well.

Woman: I'm flattered.

Man: My pleasure.

Woman: Listen, do you want something?

Man: No. I'm just being polite, you know.

Woman: Hmmm.

Submitted by Jack Milgram on Mon, 08/02/2021 - 08:05

Oh, I'm actually quite good at complimenting others. But I hate that I'm lack words when getting compliments. I'm just standing as a complete idiot.

Submitted by sqam7521 on Sun, 15/12/2019 - 08:10

Hello everyone , I am new here. :)

Submitted by parisaach on Sat, 24/08/2019 - 07:57

personaly, I am not good at complimenting other people and I really don't enjoy when some one complimenting me when they don't believe in what they say. Actually I'm not much flattered when some one specially a stranger admire me or compliment about my outfit, my appereance, etc. I can't say I don't affected when somebody say possitive words to me, actually words have influance on people, but I really don't care if a stranger love me or hate me, though about friends and family it is really important and I would be happy to know they love me and my appereance, etc. In my country some people really exagerate in complimenting and admiring other people specially those who can help them, like their boss, their barber, their teacher. I think complimenting other people is good when you like some one's outfit, haircut, hair color it is good to say that it can make them happy .
Yeah... as you say, I think there're positive complimenting and negative complimenting. The latter is used to take advantage of someone or to deal with an annoying or demanding person; the former is used to just tell someone's good points from different views. :)

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Mon, 29/04/2019 - 13:13

I like this video! everybody☆⌒(*^-゚)b(゚∇^d)(b^ー゚)d(゚ー゚@)♪good

Submitted by Kashif Anwar on Sat, 27/04/2019 - 13:06

Its fun listening and doing the exercise. Missed few points in listening but found the transcript useful

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Sat, 09/03/2019 - 12:39

Want a compliment? 。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ very d(*⌒▽⌒*)b good 。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Sat, 09/03/2019 - 12:38

Well, I found a boy, beautiful and sweet Oh, I never knew you were the someone waiting for me d(-_^)good!! Ed

Submitted by elnaz on Fri, 08/03/2019 - 14:10

Hello everyone To me, we should observe our words both in compliment and blam.

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Mon, 14/01/2019 - 14:19

As just complement, I used to be easy to accept compliment. Now, don't flatter me, I'm nothing...! (´-`).。oO(I wish I could.....)

Submitted by Vienna2018 on Sun, 13/01/2019 - 19:17

Dear Bristishcouncil! What a great video activity! It helps me to learn vocabulary and also listening. Thank so much for providing us a such of useful website, especially for free. I also have a question. When we say ' I am flattered' that means we are pleased about somebody's compliment which given to us or when we feel that that compliment seems too much and insincerely? like the woman in the video when she asked the man 'Look, do you want something?' Thank you

Hello Vienna2018,

I'm glad you liked the video!

When a person says 'I'm flattered' they mean that the other person has said something nice about them. It does not imply any dishonesty. We often say it to thank another person for a compliment or positive comment.

However, 'flattery' is the attempt to manipulate a person's feelings by saying nice things. The things may be true or not, but the intention is to make the person well-disposed towards the speaker. When a person says 'Are you trying to flatter me?' they mean that they suspect the other person of this kind of manipulation.

Submitted by bellatambunan on Fri, 07/09/2018 - 02:47

Hi everyone. I like when someone gives me a compliment. It's fun to know that you good at something from others especially someone you really care of. And I also like to give compliments to other when they deserve it. It feels good when you see the smile and pride on their face. So the person who compliments and the person who is complimented on, both are satisfied.

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Thu, 23/08/2018 - 14:11

Perhaps, it makes everybody feel better! But when someone pays me a compliment, I become a bit suspicious!

Submitted by Rinchik on Wed, 06/12/2017 - 16:56

Hello everybody! I don’t find it’s difficult to pay a compliment to someone deservedly. And I feel we should do such things. I’m pleased to get a compliment if it is sincere without any exaggeration although I get blushed.

Submitted by Petertin17 on Sun, 19/11/2017 - 16:17

Hi everyone! I think compliment is good for our life. It get more motivation in the life.Furthermore, the compliment make our effective in work, but it also bring complacent If who is too depend on it.

Submitted by Haydee 2017 on Thu, 28/09/2017 - 08:01

I love this video, really useful! It''s wonderful to learn natural expressions and vocabulary to pay compliments. I enjoy paying compliments to someone else everyday.

Submitted by Maria Felix on Sat, 23/09/2017 - 03:23

It's a good video that shows us how to complement someone or what to say when a complement

Submitted by karikalan on Fri, 26/05/2017 - 23:06

This video is fulfilling its function adequately.

Submitted by rosaflima on Thu, 11/05/2017 - 02:40

Hi every body, I really like when a receive a compliment .It means i'm doing the right thing, and it's really good. The video is excellent .It's a great way to memorize the words .

Submitted by cittàutopica on Mon, 03/04/2017 - 19:17

I enjoy paying someone a compliment, but I'm sincere and, for this reason, I pay someone a compliment only when I really feel like. When I sometimes happen to receive a compliment, I'm imbarassed and I try to underplay. I think that this video activity is very useful.

Submitted by CHN on Fri, 24/02/2017 - 05:40

I find it quite easy to pay someone a compliment especially if they did something good, but it is not easy to accept a compliment especially If you got a compliment from your crush, you would be so flattered and so embarrassed that you look like a red tomato.