How to tie a Windsor knot

Do you know how to tie a tie? In this video Charles teaches us how to tie a Windsor knot.

Do the preparation task first. Then watch the video and do the exercise. Remember you can read the transcript at any time.

Hello. I'm Charles from Louis Purple, and today I'm going to teach you how to tie a Windsor knot. The Windsor knot is actually a very simple knot to tie, and it's very useful because it projects confidence. So it's a wide, triangular knot that's very suitable for presentations, job interviews, or court appearances, which I hope you don't frequent too often. So this is how you start.

You just find the right balance depending on the length of your tie, with the wide end on the right-hand side and the narrow end on the left. You might want to adjust exactly where the centre of the tie should be at in the middle of your neck. So this is how you start. You cross over the wide end over the narrow end. You bring the wide end through the loop between the collar and the tie. And you bring the wide end back down.

Then you just pull the wide end underneath, and then bring it up through the loop again in order to have a symmetrical shape, which should look like this. And you're almost done. There's only the easy part left and the most rewarding. Pull the wide end in front. Bring the wide end underneath, and then slide it inside the loop and tie it in the knot. You draw the knot up in order to fit your collar. So it's a knot that's really suitable for widespread collars. And as I said, then you can just adjust and tighten how big of a knot you like to obtain. This is how you tie a Windsor knot.

© Howcast

Submitted by vicloben05 on Mon, 25/09/2017 - 09:21

The presentation looks fairly simple but I could not catch up well the information needed for the task quiz. Why is that?

Hello vicloben05,

Have you tried reading the transcript? That might help you complete the quiz. If you still have trouble, we're happy to help you with any specific questions you may have.

I haven't caught the phrase 'pull the wide end underneath' which is in the typescript and haven't noticed that the phrase in task 2 'pull the wide end over the top' is incorrect. That is the most difficult part, I think.

Submitted by Mohamed Sayed … on Thu, 07/09/2017 - 07:55

I wear ties on special occasions, or on special events, I find it very hard to tighten a Windsor knot, even after this useful video, but I will watch it while tightening my tie.

Submitted by ludwig2014 on Tue, 05/09/2017 - 14:19

i don't like to use ties, it's very uncomfortable to use it, specially on summers. i don't even like long sleeve shirts? i would prefer to always use a T-shirt. but the life is not about what i want, it's about what everybody want.

Submitted by joaquim silva on Mon, 04/09/2017 - 09:46

In the summer, I wear a tie at an extraordinary moment only.

Submitted by Alberto O on Thu, 31/08/2017 - 09:31

I don't usually wear ties, although I do it at some special ocasions, like weddings and so. I don't need to wear one in my job, but I don't dislike them. Actually I wouldn't mind having to wear one at work.

Submitted by hossamz on Mon, 21/08/2017 - 20:24

yes i wear it before, but i can't tie a tie so when i bougth it , i ask the owner of the shop to tie it hahaha

Submitted by ksander301 on Mon, 14/08/2017 - 15:34

Yes, I wear ties at great events such a wedding and etc. Also, i know how to tie half-Windsor knot and other easier knots, but Windsor knot is Pretiest and most pupular

Submitted by Michel Allaire on Sat, 12/08/2017 - 04:28

I used to wear ties all the time when I was working in an office. Nowadays I only wear ties at weddings or funerals.

Submitted by dawnah on Wed, 09/08/2017 - 20:47

No, I don't wear a tie because it is not customary in my country for a woman to wear a tie.

Submitted by CHN on Sun, 30/07/2017 - 12:31

No, I never have to wear a tie because wearing ties is not our culture. Mostly, we wear our traditional clothes which are normally a long-sleeved T-shirt and a sarong.