Camden Scene 1

Stephen and Ashlie realise they have quite similar ideas about what their Mum would like, but Ashlie soon gets distracted from the task in hand!

Do the Preparation task first. Then watch the video. Next go to Task and do the activity. If you need help, you can read the transcript at any time.

Preparation

Before you watch

Think about the following questions:

• Do you ever shop in markets in your country?
  • Think about markets in Britain. Do you think they will be the same as markets in your country, or different?

Watch Stephen and Ashlie go shopping in Camden Market in London.

Stephen: Here we are in Camden Lock Market. It’s a great place to go shopping and we need to buy a birthday present for our Mum. What do you think we should get her, Ash?

Ashlie: Well our Mum loves nice clothes and costume jewellery. So - I’m sure we’ll find something here.

Stephen: It's huge here, Ash. I’ll tell you what, let’s split up, see what we can find and I’ll meet you back here in one hour.

Ashlie: OK, I’ll see you back here in an hour, then.

Stephen: Oh, Ash – can you lend me 50 quid?

Ashlie: 50 quid, eh?

Stephen: Don’t worry, you’ll get it back!

Ashlie: That should do it.

Stephen: Thank you.

Ashlie: OK, I’ll see you back here later.

Stephen: See you!

.....

Stephen: Wow, look at these! I’ve never seen one of these before. How much are these?

Shopkeeper: Five pound each.

.....

Ashlie: Excuse me. Do you have this in another colour?

.....

Stephen: Hiya – how’s it going?

Shopkeeper: Hi, very well. How are you?

Stephen: Good, thanks.

Stephen: I like these, how much are they?

Shopkeeper: Er, the leaf lights – they are £21.95.

Stephen: Hmm, I’m not sure she’ll like them. Can you help me? I’m looking for a birthday present for my mum. Any ideas?

Shopkeeper: What type of thing does she like?

Stephen: Well, she’s quite stylish – modern, I suppose.

Shopkeeper: Well, the yin yang’s really modern. What do you think of that?

Stephen: Hmm. What about that one over there?

Shopkeeper: Ah, the ball lights – lovely – it’s fifty pounds.

Stephen: Oh.

Shopkeeper: How about... forty, seeing as it’s your mother’s birthday?

Stephen: Twenty?

Shopkeeper: Twenty? That’s really cheap. How about I meet you halfway – twenty-five?

Stephen: Great, thanks mate. My Mum’s going to love this.

Shopkeeper: You’re welcome.

.....

Ashlie: Aah - I'm running out of time…

.....

Ashlie: Excuse me, how much is this?

Shopkeeper: Er, that’s fifty pounds.

.....

Stephen: So? How did you get on?

Ashlie: Pretty good, I guess. I bought this fantastic candle holder. It was a little bit expensive, but I think Mum will love it. In fact I almost bought one for myself!

Stephen: Yeah… great – and look what I found!

Ashlie: Well, that is just crazy – how did we end up buying the same candle holder in this huge market??!

Stephen: I’ll tell you what we’ll do. You take this one. You said you almost bought one for yourself - and you lent me fifty pounds, right?

Ashlie: Right.

Stephen: So you take this one, I’ll get lunch and we’ll call it quits! Come on – it’s time to get something to eat. Lunch is on me, remember. Come on!

Submitted by Jhonclony on Thu, 23/03/2017 - 23:29

Sound of vedio is low

Submitted by Maria perez aa on Wed, 22/03/2017 - 21:37

Hi! I think that markets un Candem and in my country are so similar. Un both of them you can buy a lot of different things:books, músic, but specially clothes

Submitted by kouassi on Tue, 21/03/2017 - 10:50

Hello, guys, my name is Kouassi, I am from Ivory coast but I live in the city of paris in France. for me the markets in France are same that the markets in britain because the atmosphere is similar and the people are always happy to shop in such places. Also I like to bought the candle in this market

Submitted by b.n7 on Tue, 21/03/2017 - 10:34

Hi, why i can't see the video?

Hello b.n7,

I've checked the video and see no problems. I'd suggest that you try viewing this page using a different web browser or different device. That should solve the problem, but if not, please let us know what browser and browser version you're using so that we can follow up.

Submitted by kchakra24 on Sun, 19/03/2017 - 15:30

Hi, this is Kaushik from Kolkata, India. Here, in Kolkata, there are quite a few markets like, Fanci, Chandni, New market where you can find almost anything you want at a very cheap price

Submitted by ferri novandra on Sat, 18/03/2017 - 16:22

Hi .... i am from indonesia , the markets in indonesia is very dirty and smelly , so if you want to the market's in indonesia you should prepared to accept it.

Submitted by Sadia1990 on Sat, 18/03/2017 - 04:31

Hi, I'm Sadia I live in Riyadh Saudi Arabia. I love shopping and I really like this video in Riyadh we have similar Markets they are huge too you can find Arab traditional dresses Arabic scents and food they are really cheaper

Submitted by Brigadum on Fri, 17/03/2017 - 17:59

Hi everybody, my name is Beatriz and I am from Spain, here you can find so many markets but not as big as Camden Market. I like going for a walk when I know there is one in the place I am although I don´t use to buy anything. Well, some times...

Submitted by hardeep on Thu, 16/03/2017 - 20:59

hi ,I like shopping.But.we don't have big mall.We don't have market like british market.I go to the shops for shopping.The shops are very open.

Submitted by Xinhpham on Wed, 15/03/2017 - 04:46

Hi, I'm Xinh, from Vietnam. I used to shop in traditional markets in town, but currently I usually go to the convenience stores or mini marts because things sold there are safer and have clear origin. I've never been in England. But I think the markets in Vietnam will be much different in term of the organization and I'm sure martkets in Vietnam are much dirtier.

Submitted by Nonikazero on Tue, 14/03/2017 - 23:28

Hi, I'm from Venezuela, i like go there...., when I was younger i`m go there but now it's very dangerous now I'm going to the big malls, it's safety

Submitted by Vulpes_vulpes on Tue, 14/03/2017 - 04:57

Hi! I'm from Russia. I can buy something in market sometimes, but not really often. Markets in Russia are similar to British ones. I don't like markets cause they are very crowded and many things can be cheaper in ordinary shops.

Submitted by Taniaisern on Tue, 14/03/2017 - 01:28

Hi, I'm from Brazil, Santos, São Paulo. We have more shopping centers here than street markets. I like go shopping, it's a fun place with food, clothes, shoes, bijoux and many other things.

Submitted by aleana_a on Mon, 13/03/2017 - 14:20

I am from Venezuela, we do not came out for shopping often, except by food stuff. I would like to buy a candle like this.

Submitted by loukas on Sat, 11/03/2017 - 11:57

Hello! I am living in Athens and I like shopping from small markets, we call them bazzaar. Comparing with the British market I see lots of similarities

Submitted by Angustias on Thu, 09/03/2017 - 19:34

Hello! Every one I am from Mexico, the market´s in Mexico are similar of this video, We called "Tiangis" we can buy clothes, foods, shoes and tradicional Mexican things like "talavera". When is birthday´s mum, she likes visiting tradicional restaurant. Last her brithday we ate mole poblano. Thanks

Submitted by manrico pera on Tue, 07/03/2017 - 14:56

I am from Italy and here there are a lot of market of every type, but I have to say Camden Lock has a special taste where you succeed in finding strange and particular things. I like so much and when I come to London I visit it

Submitted by Erinalva Silva on Sat, 04/03/2017 - 16:26

Hi, I'm from Brazil. Here in my country there are a lot similar markets .I love it! I Love to buy somethings.

Submitted by AAhmadukumo on Sat, 04/03/2017 - 14:14

I really like going shopping, and the podcast is funny also I hope to speak English like Ashlie and Stephen.

Submitted by Sassi on Fri, 03/03/2017 - 06:15

HI! I'm from Philippines....I like go shopping and it's more than enough for me to buy a small gift for my parents as well :)

Submitted by neyda_12 on Thu, 02/03/2017 - 20:23

in Peru we have a market similar ... where you can find a lot things with different prices

Submitted by wellington pecchini on Wed, 01/03/2017 - 09:25

Hi, I live in a small town in Italy, it's called Mantova. we have a small market only on Wednesday. there're only old people in the market that buy and do socialization each other. rarely it can see some students that didn't go at the school and they decided to go at market to get shopping.

Submitted by Yesenia Jasso … on Wed, 01/03/2017 - 02:10

Hello! I am Yesenia. I am from Mexico and I really like go shopping in my country. There are lots of different products that you can buy and the markets are colorful. I like specially the markets where there is indigenous people, I really love they handcrafts and clothes. I love going shopping to the traditional markets ("tianguis") because we can find lots of different cultural expressions.

Submitted by sanyobando on Sat, 25/02/2017 - 03:04

Hello, actually I am living and working in a small town in Colombia so I don´t have those kind of markets here but if you go to big cities you will find lot of beautiful and lovely things to buy depending on your likes and your pockets.

Submitted by Aisha na Shadee on Sun, 19/02/2017 - 16:15

Hellow sir! I am looking for the dictionary but I can't find it on a page. Sometime I found a difficult words to me and looking for online dictionary on the page to find out its meaning and pronunciation, so please may you direct me how can I find online dictionary if it is in your page. Thanks.

Hello Aishasubira,

The dictionary is no longer on our pages because of technical changes on the Cambridge site. You can access it here, however:

Best wishes,

Hi, Aisha! There are many dictionaries on web. Both thefreedictionary.com and dictionary.com are good options.

Submitted by Jenifer jarin on Sun, 19/02/2017 - 13:02

in my country everything you need you will found in a reasonable prize.here are two type of market .first one is full of branded thing which is very expensive,and the other one is good with reasonable prize.

Submitted by Marija Sarac on Fri, 17/02/2017 - 21:56

Our markets in Serbia look a lot like this one. There we can buy almost everything we need, and prices are not so high.

Submitted by The Dungeon on Fri, 17/02/2017 - 14:47

Yahoo ! I got all the questions right.

Submitted by cloud on Fri, 17/02/2017 - 10:22

Hi kirk, Do i have to complete all level at same time for e.g. word on street, starting out , grammar n vocabulary.... or one after one? And is there any time limitation for completion one level or course??How much time we have for course ??

Hello cloud,

LearnEnglish is more like a library than a course, which means that you can use our materials in any way that you would like to. There are some resources that are best used in a sequence (e.g. Big City Small World, which is like a soap opera) but most of them can be used in any sequence you wish. We don't track what you do in any way, and all pages are open to anyone. You might want to read our Getting started and Frequently asked questions pages for more ideas on how to use our site.

Submitted by guillermito2017 on Fri, 17/02/2017 - 00:39

Hi. I´m from Peru. I live in Lima. It´s a pleasure to go shopping in Lima. But, actually, I don´t like going shopping here because I don´t have patience to go around and spend hours choosing one thing. I hate that. I really like choosing something as soon as I see it or them. It´s a lot of fun

Submitted by BettyRios on Fri, 17/02/2017 - 00:10

Hi guys, I'm from Cancún, Mexico. Here the markets are similar that UK, you can find gifts from an amazing vacations, mexican and sea food, traditional clothes and more. all that in a same place.

Submitted by Paquitosilver on Sun, 12/03/2017 - 20:09

In reply to by BettyRios

There are beautiful beaches in Cancun, water is so clear. Best Regards.

Submitted by Piyali on Thu, 16/02/2017 - 22:24

Since I moved to Toronto for last one month,I went to East York Town center market which is quite huge.Many shops are there like clothes,utensil,food stores,book store,drug shop and etc.All are arranged in a way that you can find easily each of them.My most attraction of this market is Tim Hortons as I am quite foody person.One of the most popular shop in the market is Dollarama where you can find many things apart from vegetables and fruits.

Submitted by Alissonmspfc on Thu, 16/02/2017 - 15:15

Hi there ! I'm from a small city in the South of Brazil...We don't have these kind of markets here...

Submitted by cloud on Thu, 16/02/2017 - 08:46

Hi kirk I have a question. this video was a little bit difficult. as i listened, i didnt get 100%. so can i do the task at any other time?

Submitted by Kirk on Thu, 16/02/2017 - 13:52

In reply to by cloud

Hello cloud,

Yes, you can do the tasks whenever you want to. Did you see the Transcript? If you press or click on Transcript (under the tasks), you will see the words that are spoken in the video. That might help you understand the video.

Submitted by cloud on Thu, 16/02/2017 - 08:42

Hi every one I'm from Pakistan, but currently living in Iran.I love shopping in Pakistan.Markets are very good over there, not so cheep,not so expensive and the things of our need have good quality. Markets of Iran are so good as well but so expensive...

Submitted by adel marey on Tue, 14/02/2017 - 04:39

i cant know how to answer task 2 ?

Hello adel marey,

To move the sentences, you have to click or press them, and then click or press in the place you want to move them. I'd suggest you find the first sentence, then click or press one it, and then click or press the sentence at the top – it should then move there. Repeat this with the second sentence, etc., and it should work for you. If not, please describe what happens and we'll do our best to help you.

Submitted by Pedropan on Mon, 13/02/2017 - 23:32

Hi there. my name is Pedro. I'm from Mexico. I think the market trade is the same all over the world. because in every market you'll find merchant and buyers.

Submitted by magdareyh on Sat, 11/02/2017 - 03:52

Hi, I'm from Bogota Colombia. I like to go to the markets, specially on Sunday where is the flea market in a place called Usaquen. In this market you can find traditional and curious gifts from my country. Also, you can listen musicians playing in the park. The salesmen are in the streets, not in stores. Is very different than the UK market, but is a good place to visit, the prices are cheaper, although, if you are foreign, the price could increase.