Episode 06

Daniel and Sarah make their presentations. Will they impress the interviewers?

Do the preparation task first. Then watch the video and do the exercises. You can also read the transcript.

Daniel: When I was asked to do a presentation on 'Where WebWare is going and what I can do to help it get there', my first thought was simple: me! As you've already seen, I've got a lot of skills and the right kind of personality needed to do a job like this. Here's a slide I made! You see that? That's my sales team. They love me! Certainly going to be sad to see me leave. Outside-the-box thinking – that's what I've got!

Sarah: OK. To start with, I did a careful SWOT analysis using the data I had available, which is obviously only partial. I looked at aspects such as competitors, online visibility, changing technologies and R&D. On the basis of this, I believe WebWare should carry out some careful market research, strengthen its brand awareness in secondary markets and improve the flexibility of its offer. If this produces positive results, I think it should be possible to maintain the premium pricing policy.

Daniel: Here's the sales figures for the last job I did – all down to me. Blue-sky thinking! Finally, to finish my presentation, I'd like to play you a song I wrote ...

Philip: OK, OK ... that's enough. Thanks, Daniel.

Daniel: Great! So, does that mean I've got the job?

Marcia: Erm, we'll be in touch over the next five days to let you know.

Daniel: OK, great. Thank you.

Sarah: This is how I predict a sales pattern would go. I have to emphasise these are only speculative results at the moment. The key words are caution, adaptability and consolidation of main product lines – WebWare's 'cash cows', if you like. It's important to be flexible, yet reliable. Oh, and another thing is you need to improve the delivery times on your online orders. I hope all that's clear. Do you have any questions?

Philip: No, thank you, Sarah. That's all very clear. You've given us quite a lot to think about, there!

Marcia: Yeah, thanks a lot, Sarah. We'll be in touch over the next few days to let you know about the appointment.

Sarah: Thank you both for your time. It's been a pleasure meeting both of you.

Marcia: Bye bye!

Sarah: Bye.

Philip: Bye.

Sarah: Bye.

Submitted by carmen on Mon, 01/11/2021 - 19:37

Sara with her presentation shows that she's the best candidate for this job: she did a swat analysis to make her strategy and presentation reliable, she also demonstrate sales skills, attention to details and she's open to questions. Unfortunately Daniel has not the correct attitude, he doesn't explain why he's the write candidate and what he can do for the company.

Submitted by AhKhd on Sun, 03/01/2021 - 17:50

I was impressed by her a very good performance during a presentation ,she was professional and self confidence,furthermore she did carefully a method of analysis of a business situation, with four aspects, strengths, weaknesses ,opportunities and threats and research a company beforehand and she even made proposals to improve the sales.I am sure Sarah will be chosen. Danial was chaotic, not serious and arrogant.

Submitted by Automaton 1.12… on Thu, 03/12/2020 - 10:15

Brain will get the job he had a amazing CV and sarah doesn't even got a good track record. Daniel is the man for the job he knows how to handel people and will help this company grow. He even plays great music so formal.

Submitted by Andrea Cabrera on Wed, 12/08/2020 - 16:28

Sara, because she was more professional and she had better skills and took the time to research more about the company

Submitted by Lililastra on Wed, 12/08/2020 - 16:27

I think Sarah was a lot better in her interview, she was more professional, when she was requested to consider where will she take the company, if she gets the position; She shows her self confident and she has real achievements.

Submitted by Dodo Mohamed on Wed, 27/05/2020 - 20:37

Sarah's presentation of course, she's very professional. She prepared well. She's very interested in the job so she collect data about the company and their competitors, she tried to make the presentation to the point to show them that she has inputs to the post. Daniel is unprofessional and careless.

Submitted by nikoslado on Mon, 25/05/2020 - 22:16

Listening and watching Daniel during the whole interview and realising that he was one of the two ''shortlisted persons'' among two hundreds other candidates, I'm wondering : Fancy what kind of candidates would be the rest 198 of them rejected...and what kind of degrees, MBA and knowledge are certified and offered by some universities.(Of course, we have to say that it was a scenario, not a real event, but though it's still a plain disappointment...)

Submitted by ishernandez on Wed, 20/05/2020 - 06:11

I looked to Sarah ver confident and professional, She studied carefully the market in which the company is involved, She gave some interesting points to improve the main brand the company offers and the interviewers looked very pleasured with the results. Definitely She is going to be the next sales Director of WebWare Company.

Submitted by rivercountryside on Tue, 12/05/2020 - 10:21

I impressed to Sarah's presentation. She was really confident. She showed clearly its. She prepared carefully her presentation. I thought that Sarah will be choose.

Submitted by GERARD on Thu, 30/04/2020 - 21:01

Whose presentation impressed you more, and why? Definitely Sarah's one. As during the interview she acts professionally. She is still smiley, looks at the interviewers, she has prepared beforehand and thoroughly her presentation, took time to research information on the company and its products and made a good analysis of the situation. She explained how she worked, on which basis, and made even proposals to improve the sales. She allows time for questions at the end of her presentation which is a proof of confidence.

Submitted by Abdulaziz AZ on Thu, 30/04/2020 - 03:54

sarah was more formal and respectful in her presentation

Submitted by Merwyn Joseph … on Tue, 28/04/2020 - 09:36

Sarah's presentation is way better than Daniel's. She (Sarah) presented in a professional manner, well-prepared, being open to questions, explaining things as asked and stating everything in detail as per the required limit. Being confident, calm, professional, optimistic and flexible and these qualities and a positive approach will surely deserve her (Sarah) to get the job.

Submitted by gerardbarrachina on Thu, 23/04/2020 - 19:01

To be honest, and as many comments here say, in my opinion Sarah's presentation is better than Daniel's one. That's because it's more formal, professional, she has studied the company previously and made studies about it. Surely the two interviewers will contact Sarah soon.

Submitted by JulianoCrispi on Wed, 22/04/2020 - 20:00

No doubt Sarah´s presentation is much better than Daniel´s but i felt a lack of experience for such important role in a company. i would definitily search more candidates for this key position.

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Sun, 19/04/2020 - 00:29

Sarah's presentation impressed me more, because she has the insights about the firm and thus she responded to questions in a relaxed, serious and professional ways.

Submitted by farid007 on Fri, 13/03/2020 - 12:53

These two interviews are totally different from each other. It is obvious that Sarah's presentation is good example of how good presentation should look like. Sarahs's presentation is relevant and important for company's goal. On the other hand, Daniel Talks lacks careful market analysis and he did not researched organisation goals. Instead of focusing on organisation and demonstration of his work skills, he spoke about himself and delivered formal and casual speech. Meanwhile, Sarah demonstrated professionalism, his works skills and ability to conduct SWOT analysis as well as delivering speculative market result. Furthermore, he was confident and his speech were professional and business relevant. She is good embodiment of how good candidate for job should be.

Submitted by Ulizeuz on Fri, 20/12/2019 - 16:16

Obviously Sarah impressed more with her presentation. She was professional and seemed prepared. Daniel, on the other hand, was informal, and he didn't investigate about the company or took a time for questions.

Submitted by Oli on Wed, 11/12/2019 - 16:00

I am sure that Sarah has made a very interesting research over the company. She mentions "complains" over un-respected delay for the delivery times of the online orders

Submitted by Oli on Wed, 11/12/2019 - 10:02

I don't understand why the CEO is remaining sitting down on his chair while he gives the hand to the candidates. In Belgium it's very impolite to do so.

Submitted by Loc Dang on Tue, 03/09/2019 - 15:51

Through the presentation of the two candidates, we can see the difference between them. While Daniel didn't respond to the expectation of the panel, that is how he projected to take them to the best objective, Sarah gave a fascinating presentation, showing that she spent time to learn about the company and made a serious analysis on the market relating to her further job. Daniel talked about himself and his competence without giving any pieces of evidence. At the standpoint of a candidate, I find these two aspects are a real lesson that needs to remember if I wanted to get a convincing argument in an interview.

Submitted by A_Ichiro on Mon, 08/07/2019 - 01:54

Daniels's presentation did not answer what Marcia asked. He did not mention anything about the businesses.

Submitted by Vuqar on Fri, 22/02/2019 - 12:32

Sarah presentation and interwiev is better than Daniel's.

Submitted by Olena_Sh on Fri, 15/02/2019 - 13:26

I liked video, it was very instructive, especially for me and my zero experience in business presentation

Submitted by kolalexnic on Sun, 06/01/2019 - 08:45

if I were CEO I would hire one of available staff resources for such important position...

Submitted by Ajevip on Tue, 01/01/2019 - 17:06

Daniel says in his presentation about his sales team: "Certainly going to be sad to see me leave...". One the sentences of the Coomprehensive task says: "Daniel thinks that the sales team will be upset if he leaves" and it's given like true. My question is: Do the adjectives "sad" and "upset" have similar meaning?

Hello Ajevip,

In this context, the words have a similar meaning: unhappy or disappointed.

Submitted by victordossantos on Mon, 31/12/2018 - 19:50

I think we here see how a person must answer to an interview. To be professional requieres inteligence, discipline and have objective goals about what company is requiering.

Submitted by fludzinm on Sun, 02/12/2018 - 22:53

Candidates present their vision for the company's development. Sarah prepared for the conversation. Daniel, by his attitude of an unprepared person, diminishes the chances of getting a job. The presentation should contain at least general information about the issue on which we should work. I also think that it is worth getting ready before every recruitment interview. Preparing a presentation increases the chances of getting a job.

Submitted by Exploredbymafaza on Thu, 07/06/2018 - 03:35

When it is a job being professional is always the key. Being you doesn't give us a job but honesty does.

Submitted by Tomoaki Hachiya on Sat, 10/02/2018 - 20:24

Hmm, let me see, Daniel is not a bad guy to employ after all. He's positive, optimistic, and doing things out of his intuition. Whereas Sarah looks logical, rational, analytical. If I were CEO of this company, I'd hire both of them and give them a chance to see the result.

Submitted by Khaled v on Wed, 27/12/2017 - 14:53

Simply ..dont think about the result while you are in the interview Dont cry if you didnt have the job ..you will have another choice in another place in another time ..Try to be wonderful :)

Submitted by lcsergedi on Thu, 26/10/2017 - 18:39

Daniel presentation was to short and didn't contain any useful information. Sarah video was accurate and interesting. Two months ago i had a presentation and i was very nervous.

Submitted by Favzy10 on Tue, 10/10/2017 - 20:58

can't i download d video? So it ll b on my phone

Hello Favzy10,

I'm afraid the videos on LearnEnglish are not available for download for technical and legal reasons. You can download the audio files on our audio-only pages but not the videos.

Best wishes,

Submitted by monikatiwari on Sun, 26/03/2017 - 15:01

I think both have different ways of presenting, Daniel have delivered in his past role and seems was liked by his team due to his fresh ideas / out of the box thinking but also was looking quite over confident. Wherein Sarah was quite composed and well prepared. She was encouraging the interviewers by giving the well prepared presentation on how she would value add by improvising the processes which can result in far better performance for their organization. Her way was quite polite and articulated her thoughts well.

Submitted by hala_kiwan on Thu, 09/03/2017 - 05:14

Could you please tel me how to paly the video

Hello hala_kiwan,

I've checked the video and don't see any problems with it or the webpage. I'd suggest you try using a different browser (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer) and/or a different device (e.g. tablet, phone or computer) to see if that helps. If not, please let us know what browser version you're using and we'll look into it.

Submitted by mujeebrehman on Mon, 02/01/2017 - 03:26

I like both presentations but Daniel done his presentation in a very casual way, he is used a language which is not suppose to use in front of professional forum. But Sarah done her presentation in a professional way and I nicely highlighted all the job she done in front of them, I think Sarah will get selected for that post.