Episode 02

In this episode, Carolina returns. What happened with her and Jamie? What is new in Emily's life? Plus, Adam and Rob talk about the recipes you shared after last week's show.

Rob and Adam

Adam: Hello!

Rob: Hello and thank you for all your fantastic comments & recipes. Comments from almost 50 different countries from Algeria to Vietnam and from Colombia to Kazakhstan. Great to see so many responses. Keep them coming – you can write to us at http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org or via Facebook – look for ‘Elementary Podcasts’.

Adam: We got some great recipes – from Spain, Greece, Kazakhstan, Armenia – we could set up an international restaurant! Both Felix and Eduardo from Spain sent us recipes for Spanish omelette – I might try that. Elmira in Kazakhstan told us how to make a traditional fish dish called ‘koktal’ – using carp. Now, British people don’t usually eat much carp, but I might try this one.

Rob: For dessert Idoia taught us how to cook rice and milk and if we want a drink then ninamagalhaess in Brazil told us how to make ‘caipirinhas’, but they’re an alcoholic drink so not for everyone.

Adam: Skybase noticed that Ravi made a mistake. Ravi said that fish and chip shops in Britain serve 250,000 meals a year, but the real number is 250 million meals a year. Well spotted, Skybase!

Rob: Now, if you’ve listened before you’ll remember Carolina. She’s from Venezuela and she’s a student at Newcastle University in the North-East of England. She lives with her best friend Emily and she’s part of the environment society with her boyfriend Jamie. Last time we heard from her, she was going back to Venezuela for the summer. Let’s meet her again.

Carolina

Carolina: Hello? Is anyone here?

Emily: Carolina! Hi! Welcome back!

Carolina: Oh hello, Emily! Oh, it's so good to see you.

Emily: You too. How was your summer?

Carolina: Great. And yours?

Emily: Yeah, good.

Carolina: Let me take my suitcase to my room and you know, take my clothes…..

Emily: Unpack, you mean.

Carolina: That's the word …unpack. You know I think I've forgotten a lot of English in the summer. I've only spoken Spanish. No English at all.

Emily: Don't worry. You'll soon remember. But it's funny, you know – I think your accent is stronger, more Spanish, I mean Venezuelan.

Carolina: Oh, dear.

Emily: No, it's nice. I like your accent. You start unpacking and I'll make a cup of tea.

Carolina: English tea, aaah. Do you know, Emily, I think I've missed English tea? We drink more coffee at home in Venezuela. Just let me unpack my things and I'll see you in the kitchen….

Emily: Hello? Can I come in?

Carolina: Sure.

Emily: Here you are. A nice cup of English tea.

Carolina: Oh, thanks Emily. Mmm. Here, sit down on the bed. Let me move these T-shirts.

Emily: Wow, Carolina, look at all these clothes!

Carolina: I know. I bought quite a lot of things in Venezuela. My parents put some money in my bank account for this year and, I don't know, I went a bit crazy I think. I was so careful with money last year I…., oh I don't know. Anyway, look at these jeans. Cool, huh?

Emily: They're lovely. And I love that dress.

Carolina: Which one? This one?

Emily: Yeah. It's really sexy. You look great in red.

Carolina: Yes, I think I'll wear it the first time I go out with Jamie. He's coming back tomorrow.

Emily: Jamie. That's right. What happened between you two in the end? First of all he didn't phone to say goodbye before you left and you were like "Oooh he didn't phone, oooh it's all over". Then I got an email from you and everything was Jamie this and Jamie that and "Ooooh I'm so happy". What happened?

Carolina: I'm sure I wasn't that bad Emily.

Emily: Well, nearly. Come on, what happened?

Carolina: Well, yes, I was a bit upset when I got the taxi to the station, but then he phoned. Just as I was getting out of the taxi. And he said he was really sorry, but he'd got confused with the days, and he thought I was leaving the next week, so that's why he didn't phone.

Emily: Hmm.

Carolina: ‘Hmm’ what?

Emily: Just ‘hmm’. You know I like Jamie, Carolina, but it's a strange thing to forget – the day your girlfriend goes off to Venezuela for the summer.

Carolina: Anyway, that's what happened. And we've been emailing and texting all holiday and he says he can't wait to see me when he gets back. And "Ooooh I'm so happy".

Emily: Well, I'm glad he phoned and I'm glad you're still together.

Carolina: And what about you? Any news on your love life?

Emily: Love life? What love life?

Carolina: Oh, Emily!

Emily: Seriously, I haven't had a love life since last year, when I went on that study trip to France. Jacques. I really liked him, but then he didn't… well, I didn't…. I don't know. And that was the last 'man in my life'.

Carolina: You got that Valentine's card.

Emily: Anonymous.

Carolina: So? It shows someone likes you.

Emily: It was from my mother. She feels sorry for me.

Carolina: And you like the man who delivers the pizzas. The one with the long hair.

Emily: Hmm. He says "Here's your pizza" and I say "Thank you very much". A beautiful relationship. We have so much in common!

Carolina: OK. That's enough. Listen, what about dinner? Is there any food in the house? Shall we go out? We could order a pizza. You can answer the door.

Emily: Yeah, I'll wear your new red dress! Ah, it's good to have you back Carolina.

Rob and Adam

Adam: Nice to hear Carolina again. Now, here’s an interesting thing. Carolina & Emily hadn’t seen each other for a while, a whole summer, and they hugged each other and kissed. I find this interesting because people think the British are quite cold and reserved, so I’m interested in what people do when they meet people or see old friends again. What do you do, Rob?

Rob: When I see old friends again I usually hug them. What do you do when you meet people or see old friends again? Do you hug? Do you kiss? Shake hands? Bow? Write to us and let us know. Now, do you remember Carolina forgot a word? Listen to this.

Carolina: Let me take my suitcase to my room and you know, take my clothes…..

Emily: Unpack, you mean.

Carolina: That's the word …unpack.

Adam: When you put your things into a bag, you pack your bag, so when you take things out you unpack. The un- prefix shows an opposite. You do something and then maybe later you undo it. You might see the word ‘undo’ on your computer.

Rob: We also use un- with adjectives. For example, happy – unhappy, usual – unusual. Look out for exercises about this on LearnEnglish. That’s all we’ve got time for today – remember to write to us at http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/ Or on Facebook – look for Elementary Podcasts.

Adam: And you can look for Carolina who will be starting her blog again on http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/. Watch out to see what she writes there and you can write to her too. We’ll be back next time and Tess & Ravi will be here again. So, until then…

Both: Bye!

Check your understanding

Grouping_NzE2Mg==

Task 1

GapFillDragAndDrop_NzE2OQ==

Task 2

Grouping_NzE3MA==

Submitted by Mohammedalbassami on Wed, 11/08/2021 - 08:03

In sultanate of Oman normally shakes hands. Actually families kisses in occasions such as wedding and Eid and also we kisses our parents in their head. However sometimes people do it when they miss person for long time.

Submitted by amola on Sun, 25/07/2021 - 15:56

It depens on the power of realitionships between people.IF they are just know each other the shake hands and kiss on chech. If they are so close they hug each others and kiss. If they are men they often kiss each other on top of nose only. That's it.

Submitted by iramnazt7abassum on Mon, 19/04/2021 - 16:29

Hi! It depends on the relationship or situation. In friendship shake hands is formal, hug, hand slap or kiss very common by man or woman. Otherwise we use it on a daily basis: good morning, good afternoon and good evening but it's a bit complicated. Greeting with Hello and Hi feels very relaxed. Thank you very much!

Submitted by 1_sarrooj on Sat, 03/04/2021 - 19:37

it depends on relationship, in KSA we shake hands even if we are just normal friends but with close friends we shake hands and kiss on cheeks, with best friends we start with shaking hands and end up with hug .

Submitted by May Thida Su on Mon, 15/02/2021 - 09:58

When I see my friends who are best friends or not best friends, I just say " Hello ". In my country, Myanmar, people are usually just say " Hello " like me but when we see a very old friend we might hug. But we never kiss each other because kissing is a very rude in my country. We usually kiss when we are in relationship you know lovers' relationship and between old people and childreen. Between normal people we never kiss each other. But you are a foreigner from a country kissed regularly, Myanmar citizens will realize when you kiss them. For finally, I forgive you my bad English. I'm not good at English yet.

Submitted by Sajja on Wed, 30/12/2020 - 06:20

In my country , we usually hug and kiss each other when we see friend or someone who don't meet him for a long time ,but in this time we must be careful and leave distance between us to protect ourselves from covid-19 and covid-20 - the new various - but with friends that we meet them everyday we just shake hands

Submitted by jmajo on Tue, 22/12/2020 - 14:15

Well, nowadays we must keep our distance but in normal times here in Uruguay we hug with friends, hug and kiss with good friends that we haven't seen for a while and just shake hands and say "Hi" to not so close friends.

Submitted by Shimah90 on Mon, 26/10/2020 - 17:44

for best friends by hug another friends just kiss

Submitted by cassiamattos2013 on Thu, 15/10/2020 - 18:54

Hello everyone. Here in Brazil is very common, when we met our friend, we shake hands and kisses each other. Well, but during this time, according to coronavirus pandemic, we can't do that, then we only shake hands each other. When the normal back, maybe, we can to kisses each other again. I hope it.

Submitted by Mazoon AL.Ghssani on Thu, 01/10/2020 - 11:38

Hello everyone, well! It depends on the relationship for example, when i see my grandparents usually i kiss them from there hands. However, if it is my friend or my sister ,I hag and kiss them. but if they are strange people we just shake hands.

Submitted by Mikkan81 on Thu, 17/09/2020 - 20:01

Close friends I hug otherwise I shake hands.

Submitted by Zamira on Wed, 16/09/2020 - 18:53

Hi there! When I say hello my friend, I often hug them, although it depends on friends. If friends is not close I just say "Hi".

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Sun, 06/09/2020 - 21:56

I say hello to friends by shake of hands. Thanks.

Submitted by maryamalomari on Mon, 24/08/2020 - 23:08

hello It depends on relationships if they are members of family or friends or cousin we hug and kissing the cheek if not , we just shake hands or say "alsalam alikm"

Submitted by Abu Nahayan on Sun, 17/05/2020 - 17:58

Hi everybody In Saudi Arabia do all of them like: 1. If the man unfriend just shake a hands. 2. If he friends or from my relative shake a hands with kissing( not moth to moth). 3. My sons, daughters & brothers I hug them. 4. my parents kiss them hands, nose and head. 5. Never ever bow to anyone because it's forbidden in Islam.

Submitted by qdo on Wed, 13/05/2020 - 18:13

in Palestine, usually we say hello by shaking or wave hands , but if the person how i met i haven't saw him along time in this case i will give him a hug and kiss .

Submitted by Bruno2020 on Mon, 20/04/2020 - 21:15

Hello everyone!Here in Brazil we normally kiss and hug almost everyone.Friends or not friends.

Submitted by rohitbisen on Sun, 23/02/2020 - 10:03

Hi friends i am from India, and if i talking about me whenever i meet to any of my friend after a long time who is close to me then i frist and foremost shake hands and the hug for a second. But talking about indian tradition it is little bit ebrass to hug and kiss to any girls.

Submitted by Must-5 on Tue, 28/01/2020 - 19:03

Hello everybody In my country we shake hands and kiss

Submitted by Thuan Tran on Sat, 04/01/2020 - 02:20

Hello, my name is Thuan. I live in Vietnam. When I meet my best-friend again, I usually hug them. But with some one who is not closed, I just smile and say 'Chao ban'

Submitted by Chouaib Mohammed on Fri, 25/10/2019 - 18:22

I think that in all cases, to says hello by shake hands, hug or kiss, but in reality according to the situation at that time and place.

Submitted by Chouaib Mohammed on Fri, 25/10/2019 - 14:15

I'm so glade with you in this program podcast Thanks at all the team of this program

Submitted by Andrew Utkin on Tue, 20/08/2019 - 10:07

Hi, when meeting my old friends I shake hands with them and hug if this is a woman.Have a good day.

Submitted by Sergey Sh on Sun, 11/08/2019 - 02:41

Meeting some old friend of mine we just shake hands and hug most of the times. If that’s a woman, we can kiss. Never saw those who bow each other after long leaving. May be in Japan people do it. The episodes became shorter and there are two things in it. First, it don’t take more time to do letting you learn some other part of English, but the same time many interesting topics are empty.

Submitted by parisaach on Wed, 24/04/2019 - 05:56

I just want to say I like Ravi and Tess more than Adam and Rob. I wish you continue the podcast as before with Tess and Ravi .

Submitted by parisaach on Wed, 24/04/2019 - 05:54

when I see my friends after a long time I hug and kiss them . but when I see them everyday I just say hello.

Submitted by kaanmax on Tue, 23/04/2019 - 16:22

Hi there, I'm Kaan. I'm from Turkey. When we see each other we usually hug and kiss and also when we say goodbye we do samethings. Especially ıf you see people of parents we kiss each other more than normal.

Submitted by Patricia Zapata on Fri, 29/03/2019 - 19:14

Hello everyone, When I see a close friend, I hug him, kiss him and I say "hola". But If the person is not close, I shake hands and I say "buenos dias" good morning for example.

Submitted by anton from tyrol on Sat, 16/03/2019 - 08:24

I live in Italy, when I meet a close friend, woman or man that i don't meet from many time, I Kiss and hug them; but if I meet them every day I say only "ciao" or "grüß Gott" if I am in Tyrol. If I meet someone who is not a close friend, I only shake her or his hand, and I say "good morning" or "good afternoon" .

Submitted by KasH on Wed, 13/03/2019 - 10:26

My "hello" depends from friends What I meeting now. I can kiss their or just hang out. Also depends from my mood

Submitted by esmailibb on Wed, 13/03/2019 - 06:28

Hello,in my country Yemen when i see friend i say ALSALAM ALIKOM with shake hands some time if not see our friends from long time we hug them.

Submitted by Suaad12 on Tue, 05/03/2019 - 21:16

In Saudi Arabia , we say "Alsalam Alaikum" as Hello word. We often shake hands in a public life , sometimes we don't meet each others for along time so we hug and kiss .

Submitted by aspide46 on Mon, 04/03/2019 - 15:17

In Italy and in particulary in Sicily, to say hello to our friends we say "Ciao" and after or in the sametime we shake hands and we kiss in both cheek.

Submitted by DinhMinh on Tue, 26/02/2019 - 15:04

In my country, i say hello to my friends by shaking hands

Submitted by paulystano on Tue, 26/02/2019 - 00:33

In Brazil we usually share hugs a lot. For men, we shake hand and give a soft hug. Foro women, we usually kiss on face one, two or three times, it depends what part of the country you are.

Submitted by jorge jor on Mon, 25/02/2019 - 18:12

In Brazil we shake hands for men and give two or three kisses on women's faces.

Submitted by cadu on Sun, 24/02/2019 - 11:39

I shake the hands and hug my friends when they are men. If they are woman I kiss their cheeks and hug their too. If was pass a lot of time without see us, the hug will be stronger and the kiss too!!!

Submitted by interpol77 on Mon, 18/02/2019 - 22:00

In my country, Brasil, we shake hands, sometimes Kisses, The peoples in Sao Paulo are very colds.....For exemplo, me too....

Submitted by pamo1111 on Mon, 18/02/2019 - 18:38

Hello, in France we kiss or we shake hands

Submitted by TogzhanTem on Thu, 14/02/2019 - 01:30

Hello. I am from Kazakhstan. In my country we hug

Submitted by Ethel on Fri, 08/02/2019 - 15:07

In my country people say hello with a kiss. I heard the foreigners wonder about that, because the Argentines greet and say goodbye with a kiss for each and every one of the people who are present, whether at work, in the classroom, in the pub, although there is not much trust between they... everyday! It's a bit exhausting for me, but they think it's impolite if you just say "Hola!" or "Chau!"

Submitted by Betini on Wed, 06/02/2019 - 00:01

In Brazil, when is a man, i like to shake hand and hug. But, when is a woman i like to kiss her face for 3 times (on each side of the face) and and hug.

Submitted by Fred Kerryson on Tue, 08/01/2019 - 09:46

we shake hands

Submitted by AlexS on Thu, 03/01/2019 - 20:42

Please, explaine me how to use Cambridge dictionary online. Is it possible to address to online dictionary from this site (you wrote to write on the right in the window) or it's necessary to copy this word and then try to open it in the site with Cambridge dictionary. Sorry, I am so stupid.

Submitted by Son Pham on Wed, 02/01/2019 - 04:25

I often say 'hello' with my friends. Sometimes I shake hands with men. With my foreigner friends, I bow and hug them.