Episode 02

In this episode, Carolina returns. What happened with her and Jamie? What is new in Emily's life? Plus, Adam and Rob talk about the recipes you shared after last week's show.

Rob and Adam

Adam: Hello!

Rob: Hello and thank you for all your fantastic comments & recipes. Comments from almost 50 different countries from Algeria to Vietnam and from Colombia to Kazakhstan. Great to see so many responses. Keep them coming – you can write to us at http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org or via Facebook – look for ‘Elementary Podcasts’.

Adam: We got some great recipes – from Spain, Greece, Kazakhstan, Armenia – we could set up an international restaurant! Both Felix and Eduardo from Spain sent us recipes for Spanish omelette – I might try that. Elmira in Kazakhstan told us how to make a traditional fish dish called ‘koktal’ – using carp. Now, British people don’t usually eat much carp, but I might try this one.

Rob: For dessert Idoia taught us how to cook rice and milk and if we want a drink then ninamagalhaess in Brazil told us how to make ‘caipirinhas’, but they’re an alcoholic drink so not for everyone.

Adam: Skybase noticed that Ravi made a mistake. Ravi said that fish and chip shops in Britain serve 250,000 meals a year, but the real number is 250 million meals a year. Well spotted, Skybase!

Rob: Now, if you’ve listened before you’ll remember Carolina. She’s from Venezuela and she’s a student at Newcastle University in the North-East of England. She lives with her best friend Emily and she’s part of the environment society with her boyfriend Jamie. Last time we heard from her, she was going back to Venezuela for the summer. Let’s meet her again.

Carolina

Carolina: Hello? Is anyone here?

Emily: Carolina! Hi! Welcome back!

Carolina: Oh hello, Emily! Oh, it's so good to see you.

Emily: You too. How was your summer?

Carolina: Great. And yours?

Emily: Yeah, good.

Carolina: Let me take my suitcase to my room and you know, take my clothes…..

Emily: Unpack, you mean.

Carolina: That's the word …unpack. You know I think I've forgotten a lot of English in the summer. I've only spoken Spanish. No English at all.

Emily: Don't worry. You'll soon remember. But it's funny, you know – I think your accent is stronger, more Spanish, I mean Venezuelan.

Carolina: Oh, dear.

Emily: No, it's nice. I like your accent. You start unpacking and I'll make a cup of tea.

Carolina: English tea, aaah. Do you know, Emily, I think I've missed English tea? We drink more coffee at home in Venezuela. Just let me unpack my things and I'll see you in the kitchen….

Emily: Hello? Can I come in?

Carolina: Sure.

Emily: Here you are. A nice cup of English tea.

Carolina: Oh, thanks Emily. Mmm. Here, sit down on the bed. Let me move these T-shirts.

Emily: Wow, Carolina, look at all these clothes!

Carolina: I know. I bought quite a lot of things in Venezuela. My parents put some money in my bank account for this year and, I don't know, I went a bit crazy I think. I was so careful with money last year I…., oh I don't know. Anyway, look at these jeans. Cool, huh?

Emily: They're lovely. And I love that dress.

Carolina: Which one? This one?

Emily: Yeah. It's really sexy. You look great in red.

Carolina: Yes, I think I'll wear it the first time I go out with Jamie. He's coming back tomorrow.

Emily: Jamie. That's right. What happened between you two in the end? First of all he didn't phone to say goodbye before you left and you were like "Oooh he didn't phone, oooh it's all over". Then I got an email from you and everything was Jamie this and Jamie that and "Ooooh I'm so happy". What happened?

Carolina: I'm sure I wasn't that bad Emily.

Emily: Well, nearly. Come on, what happened?

Carolina: Well, yes, I was a bit upset when I got the taxi to the station, but then he phoned. Just as I was getting out of the taxi. And he said he was really sorry, but he'd got confused with the days, and he thought I was leaving the next week, so that's why he didn't phone.

Emily: Hmm.

Carolina: ‘Hmm’ what?

Emily: Just ‘hmm’. You know I like Jamie, Carolina, but it's a strange thing to forget – the day your girlfriend goes off to Venezuela for the summer.

Carolina: Anyway, that's what happened. And we've been emailing and texting all holiday and he says he can't wait to see me when he gets back. And "Ooooh I'm so happy".

Emily: Well, I'm glad he phoned and I'm glad you're still together.

Carolina: And what about you? Any news on your love life?

Emily: Love life? What love life?

Carolina: Oh, Emily!

Emily: Seriously, I haven't had a love life since last year, when I went on that study trip to France. Jacques. I really liked him, but then he didn't… well, I didn't…. I don't know. And that was the last 'man in my life'.

Carolina: You got that Valentine's card.

Emily: Anonymous.

Carolina: So? It shows someone likes you.

Emily: It was from my mother. She feels sorry for me.

Carolina: And you like the man who delivers the pizzas. The one with the long hair.

Emily: Hmm. He says "Here's your pizza" and I say "Thank you very much". A beautiful relationship. We have so much in common!

Carolina: OK. That's enough. Listen, what about dinner? Is there any food in the house? Shall we go out? We could order a pizza. You can answer the door.

Emily: Yeah, I'll wear your new red dress! Ah, it's good to have you back Carolina.

Rob and Adam

Adam: Nice to hear Carolina again. Now, here’s an interesting thing. Carolina & Emily hadn’t seen each other for a while, a whole summer, and they hugged each other and kissed. I find this interesting because people think the British are quite cold and reserved, so I’m interested in what people do when they meet people or see old friends again. What do you do, Rob?

Rob: When I see old friends again I usually hug them. What do you do when you meet people or see old friends again? Do you hug? Do you kiss? Shake hands? Bow? Write to us and let us know. Now, do you remember Carolina forgot a word? Listen to this.

Carolina: Let me take my suitcase to my room and you know, take my clothes…..

Emily: Unpack, you mean.

Carolina: That's the word …unpack.

Adam: When you put your things into a bag, you pack your bag, so when you take things out you unpack. The un- prefix shows an opposite. You do something and then maybe later you undo it. You might see the word ‘undo’ on your computer.

Rob: We also use un- with adjectives. For example, happy – unhappy, usual – unusual. Look out for exercises about this on LearnEnglish. That’s all we’ve got time for today – remember to write to us at http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/ Or on Facebook – look for Elementary Podcasts.

Adam: And you can look for Carolina who will be starting her blog again on http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/. Watch out to see what she writes there and you can write to her too. We’ll be back next time and Tess & Ravi will be here again. So, until then…

Both: Bye!

Check your understanding

Grouping_NzE2Mg==

Task 1

GapFillDragAndDrop_NzE2OQ==

Task 2

Grouping_NzE3MA==

Submitted by Dao Thi Kieu Linh on Tue, 25/12/2018 - 12:56

Normally I just say hello. If that is my closed friend, I just say " hey". If that is just friends, I will say " hello". If that is my foreigner friends, I will give a hug to say hello.

Submitted by wawa09126 on Mon, 24/12/2018 - 17:05

Hi usaully shake hands

Submitted by MdRm on Thu, 13/12/2018 - 00:50

I usually shake their hands, now if it's with a close family member or with a girl i like i give them a hug or a kiss.

Submitted by diegoinglese on Sat, 08/12/2018 - 20:10

Hello everyone! When I say hello to my friends some times I shake my hands, some times I use to say Hi or hello! How do you say in your country ? Hello from Diego, thank you , British English council is fantastic

Submitted by Милана on Sat, 08/12/2018 - 18:44

I usually to hug my friend. Sometimes I can kiss them

Submitted by Nancy Nguyen on Tue, 04/12/2018 - 13:48

When I meet my friends, I say hello and smile with them. Sometimes I shake hands if they are my partners.

Submitted by Yury Taborsky on Tue, 27/11/2018 - 19:43

I basically say hello and shake hands.

Submitted by Darya Molchanova on Mon, 19/11/2018 - 05:50

If I haven't seen my friend for a long time, I hug him and kiss him. And it can be done even without words.

Submitted by Maiychok on Sun, 28/10/2018 - 17:24

The way how I say hello to my friends depends on how close we are. For example I kiss and hug my best friends, but I just shake a hand to my colleagues and familiars.

Submitted by Mahougbe on Sat, 27/10/2018 - 13:55

In Benin, to greet someone, we use to shake hands if it's between friends and colleagues . but, you should bow if you want to great an elder person.

Submitted by Babymaxa on Sun, 21/10/2018 - 17:11

Hi! In my city (Krasnoyarsk) we hug :)

Submitted by jonancbr on Mon, 01/10/2018 - 17:59

Hi, I can say that in Colombia kisses between mens and womens and womens its normal with your closer work's partners everyday, not all; always we shake hands with new people, and hugs just with close friends or family.

Submitted by Gabriela Leal on Tue, 25/09/2018 - 15:32

In Colombia generally the people is very warm with all, they always greet good morning or good afternoon, but when it's about the friends or near persons the way to grett change. Normally you greet with a shake hand, with a hug or kiss depending the grade of trust. The age also determine the way of greet for example some young people greet their friends or classmates hitting the fist or the old people greeted only shaking the hand.

Submitted by jason2295 on Tue, 18/09/2018 - 22:34

In Colombia we usually give a kiss or hug to our friends and relatives but if we do not know the person or it is the first time we see him/her, we shake hands.

Submitted by Tomoaki Hachiya on Sun, 16/09/2018 - 23:01

In this conversation, we hear Carolina say "when I go out with Jamie", and it's obvious in this case that they had a date on some day in the future. My question is that the phrase "go out with sb" necessarily mean to have sexual relationwhip with sb, or you can also use this phrase if just to go on a date?

Hello Tomoaki Hachiya,

The answer is that it depends on the context. We can use the phras to mean both of these.

Generally, when we speak about a concrete event, it could be romantic or platonic:

I'm going out with Sue tonight.

When we speak in general terms without a time reference we understand that we are talking about a romantic relationship:

Did you hear? Paul's going out with Sue!

Hi Peter, Sorry by last message, my question is oriented to know if to say "He's going out with her" to your friends is a polite phrase or have different connotation. could it offend her if she hears him? thanks

Hi jonancbr,

The phrase 'going out with (sb)' is not offensive in any way. It is a neutral to informal phrase; a more formal way to say two people are romantically involved would be to say 'Sue is seeing Paul at the moment'.

Submitted by Gehad Fathy on Wed, 12/09/2018 - 20:56

I like hugs and believe in their effect on our body and souls, so when I meet my beloved friends I remember Olaf in " frozen " Disney animation saying "Hey .. I am Olaf .. and I like warm hugs"

Submitted by mjrec on Sun, 09/09/2018 - 23:38

Hello everybody, in polite situation, men shake their hands and women or men-women give a kiss in the cheek, but when two or more friends meet make a hug, and more large the hug if a long time has passed

Submitted by mostafa el kilany on Sat, 08/09/2018 - 11:45

hi all colleague , hope all are fine , Egyptians is more different , they always kiss each other, men with men and women with women ,even if not known each other. I'm live in Cairo , it's more modernize to other cities, but they have the same attitudes. OK ,Thanks and good bye

Submitted by saeidgheysari on Tue, 04/09/2018 - 04:05

Hello You asked me " How do you say hello to your friends". when I see my friends, say Hi, How is it going? I never use bad language in my word about my close friends and I prefer to be polite and behave politely. However If we didn't see each others for long time, we have shaken hands and hugged.

Submitted by gigicopatti on Mon, 03/09/2018 - 16:02

In Portugal people say "Olá" and give two kisses in the face, except when is men to men, they only shake hands (or give a hug if they know each other for a long time). But I´m from Brazil and the brazilian people say "Oi" and usually give one kiss to the face and also give a hug, but when is men to men, they also only shake hands and give hugs.

Submitted by Nancy T on Fri, 17/08/2018 - 17:05

I live in the north of Mexico, hello to all!, in this country we tend to show a lot of affection, if they are someone very close to us like relatives or friends, both if they are men or a women we give them a kiss on the cheek and a long hug, but there is a difference in that case, we never give the hand to the women only the kiss and hug, and if is a man, before the kiss and hug we first give the hand, now if is a woman you have never seen before we always give her the hand and a kiss, and in the same case if is a man only we give him the hand and that´s all, regards!.

Submitted by Lixth85 on Fri, 10/08/2018 - 03:03

I live in México we here hug, shake hands or kiss depend of the persons, if is your best friend you hug for long time and kiss him or her.

Submitted by Bolliet on Tue, 31/07/2018 - 15:55

Hi,, I'm french, and I'm a boy. If the friend is a girl, I always kiss her. If he is a boy, usually I shake hands, but, since few last years, the boys kiss the other boys, if they are very good friends.

Submitted by Nancy T on Fri, 17/08/2018 - 17:26

In reply to by Bolliet

Hi Bolliet! But how many kisses you french people give?... I guess 3, I can't remember, I know Spanish people give 2. Regards from México!

Submitted by Jahongir on Tue, 31/07/2018 - 10:20

Hi, there I am from Uzbekistan. Basicly men handshake or hug when they meet. As for women, they hug, kiss and handshake when they meet. Women and men do not kiss, or hug when they meet unless they are relatives.

Submitted by Amalya30 on Mon, 25/06/2018 - 05:48

I just say hello to my old friend if it's a man but if it's a woman I'm gonna hug her and kiss her cheeks

Submitted by Hal55 on Fri, 08/06/2018 - 06:57

I think we don't do hug, kiss, shake hands when we meet someone who you know. but we do bow a lot for many situations. and it shows your respect to someone.

Submitted by AL-Mustafa on Mon, 07/05/2018 - 09:56

Hi i'm from Sudan ,in my country men have hand shake and women kiss each other . Both men and women give hug to show love .

Submitted by loyulan on Fri, 20/04/2018 - 02:08

Well in my country we kiss each other (cheek kiss) in some cities we kiss in both cheeks and in some inly in one.

Submitted by Bonura on Sun, 08/04/2018 - 15:23

Hi, In Turkey, it depends on how long you have known him/her or how much you like him/her... If you want to show your happiness to see, you hug and kiss him/her. Man by man, people shake hands and touch their heads each other. Women hug and kiss each other. With opposite gender, you have to take care his/her feelings about you :)

Submitted by pickplayer on Sun, 08/04/2018 - 05:37

Hello my friends, I always give big smile to my old friends and say "Hello! It's been a long time to see you!" to them. And sometimes I'll invite a familiar friend to have a cup of tea and have a chat.

Submitted by V11ker on Thu, 22/03/2018 - 16:32

Hi guys! Here in Brazil we hug and shake hands, not only when we find someone but also when we say goodbye. Girls always win kisses. Here we used to find our friends in bars to watch footbal and it is a big party with a lots of laugh, hugs and kisses! It is amazing!!

Submitted by marine bitker on Fri, 23/02/2018 - 03:14

Hi. French people usually kiss friends or family on the cheeks. But the number of kiss differs from a region to another. In the south, it's three kiss, and in the north, two or four according to how much you known the person whom you kiss. It can become very complicated because the side of the cheek with which you begin is sometimes different from a region to another. But when you well know people, there is any problem, we use to hug or kiss and the way is not matter.

Submitted by yla.jay on Sun, 11/02/2018 - 10:51

Hello my friends, I usually shake hands combined with two kisses on each cheeks. Sometimes I hug a close friend.

Submitted by alberto bastos on Tue, 30/01/2018 - 13:03

Hi Friends! In our country the people when meeting they have shake hands or a kissy in your face. The Brazilian people had been knew for so happier and smile in your recepetion for other people. Alberto.

Submitted by yushakhov on Thu, 11/01/2018 - 20:18

I'm form Russia, and when I meet my old friend, I hug them, shake our hands, and clap they in back.

Submitted by trieuhaiquan on Sat, 09/12/2017 - 09:12

HI I'm from Viet Nam. From me, when i met my old friends and that is a boy maybe i just say "Hello", "How are you" and shake hands, wew!!! if that is a girl i will try to hug and kiss her! haha.

Submitted by pmvd on Sat, 02/12/2017 - 05:12

Hi I´m from Uruguay, and in my country (and many countries from Latin America) when we see our close friends we kiss not matter if it is boy or girl.

Submitted by Tugce Yucel on Thu, 12/10/2017 - 11:42

Hi everbody, I'm from Turkey. When I meet with my friends, I say 'Hello' and hug them. Also, I feel happy to see them and share with them my feeling.

Submitted by dzvalentino on Sat, 09/09/2017 - 02:54

I usually shake hands with boys and hug girls. When don't see friends for a long time I can even hug boys. :)

Submitted by filivaze on Wed, 23/08/2017 - 13:56

In Italy not everyone greet in the same way, usually in the south of Italy people are more effusive, and they usually give kisses to girls and hug to men, meanwhile in the north people are colder, they tend to shake hands, hugs and kisses are only for closer friends

Submitted by Piotr17 on Tue, 04/04/2017 - 19:40

Hi everyone. In my country, in Poland, in general when we are meeting with our friends or other person we shake right hands each other. When we are meeting close friend, which is woman, we kiss in cheek that person. When we are meeting old friend we hug them.

Submitted by dianthus on Fri, 17/03/2017 - 08:25

Hi everyone, In my country when we see our close friends, we hug each other dearly. If we see a casual friend, we just shake her hands.

Submitted by ejossue on Tue, 07/03/2017 - 00:41

I usually hug and shake hands with friends, accompanied with a "nice to see you brother". Some people just shake hands and that means that the other one is not that important for you. So, a hug is important for me! XD

Submitted by MajorKlepto on Thu, 23/02/2017 - 19:13

I think shaking hands it's not an unusual greeting. But in Russia we have the other one. Sometimes with friends we can greet each other by our leg. It's like "give a five", but we use our right inner side of foot. We use this greeting when the weather is very cold and we don't want to take off our gloves to greet someone.