Unit 2: Sending and receiving emails

Unit 2: Sending and receiving emails

Learn how to talk about the different parts of an email in English.

Sending and receiving emails

Read the email below and then do the tasks. Task 3 asks you questions about the email below.

Task 3: Starting an email

Reply | Reply to allForward | Delete

From: Samir
To: Sales Team
CC: Hatem Trabelsi; Patricia Bartlett
Subject: RE: Meeting next week
Attachments: New proposal.rtf (376KB)

Hello Sales Team,

I’ve got an idea for next week – see the attached file. I’d like to hear what you think about my suggestion.
I think Hatem and Patricia may be interested, so I’ve copied them in too. Let’s talk more at the meeting next week.

Regards, Samir

Do you need to speak better English at work?
Learn to speak, read, write and understand English in a variety of work situations. Join thousands of learners from around the world who are making great progress with their English level with our online courses.

Submitted by Olga_Chernyav on Thu, 18/11/2021 - 11:46

very good exercises!

Submitted by IlyaK on Tue, 16/03/2021 - 20:22

Unit 2 was no more difficult than the first

Submitted by Suhair Mohammed on Thu, 18/02/2021 - 15:36

I like it...

Submitted by Shakeel on Mon, 04/01/2021 - 05:34

I made mistake twice.

Submitted by _Sergey222 on Thu, 10/12/2020 - 10:24

The first unit was simpler, but the second is also simple

Submitted by anna999 on Tue, 08/12/2020 - 23:44

Very visual implementation!

Submitted by EvgeniyKulikov on Tue, 08/12/2020 - 09:49

very useful tasks, I made a mistake in one

Submitted by margarita.draganchuk on Mon, 07/12/2020 - 17:40

Everything worked out, refreshed knowledge

Submitted by Julia.a on Mon, 07/12/2020 - 01:51

Very useful exercises, thanks

Submitted by Pavel_Kharchenko on Thu, 03/12/2020 - 10:26

Really helpful tasks

Submitted by vika_belan on Fri, 27/11/2020 - 12:26

Very useful and practical tasks, but it was easy for me :)

Submitted by Nikita Maslov on Fri, 27/11/2020 - 12:24

Not very useful tasks

Submitted by Celeste Busso on Tue, 22/09/2020 - 19:58

Hi! I wonder how can I keep a record in the lessons that I've completed and if when I finish this course there is a chance to have any kind of certification. With thanks, Celeste
Profile picture for user Peter M.

Submitted by Peter M. on Wed, 23/09/2020 - 09:59

In reply to by Celeste Busso

Hi CelesteBusso,

The materials on LearnEnglish are made available for self-study rather than as a course, so no certification is provided and if you want to keep track of your work then you'll need to organise that yourself.

We do also offer courses which work as you describe. You can find these described here:

Submitted by Esperance15 on Mon, 29/06/2020 - 11:04

Good day English Team This is very helpful. Thank you so much

Submitted by Dilnoza Sulaymonova on Fri, 12/06/2020 - 12:15

Hi thank u for helpful information
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Sat, 23/05/2020 - 09:46

It's really helpful.
Profile picture for user zabiullah

Submitted by zabiullah on Sat, 11/04/2020 - 10:33

thanks from your efforts. it is useful and helpful for all of us. i would write an email to my manger please check it. Mr. Manger; first of all, i thank from your support and helping. some our member have problem, about two months they dont receive thier salary. during this global pandamic and crisis, they want to pay thier salary urgently. but we dont have enough budget. what should i do and how to pay. we are waiting for your response. regards finance

Hello zabiullah

I'm afraid we don't correct our users' emails. Sorry! We are simply too small a team with too much other work to be able to do this. If you have a question about a specific phrase, then please feel free to ask us.

All the best

Submitted by Sanjarbek on Thu, 30/05/2019 - 14:32

I like it. Super.

Submitted by Akmal Karimov on Mon, 27/05/2019 - 13:48

Hello Everyone!!! I am currently learning English.
Profile picture for user uncle choi

Submitted by uncle choi on Wed, 03/04/2019 - 06:20

Hi, Dear. I want to know what the original word of c.c is. Please reply to me. Thank you. Regards, Uncle choi.
Profile picture for user Kirk

Submitted by Kirk on Wed, 03/04/2019 - 06:31

In reply to by uncle choi

Hello Uncle choi 'C.C.' is an acronym for 'carbon copy'. This refers to carbon tissue, a 19th and 20th century technology used to make copies of documents. If you're interested, you can see more in the Wikipedia article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_tissue). All the best Kirk The LearnEnglish Team

Submitted by jmajo on Sat, 02/02/2019 - 15:53

Very useful and practical task, thanks for it.

Submitted by ali aiad ali shanan on Sun, 06/01/2019 - 20:31

It is very hard

Submitted by ali aiad ali shanan on Sun, 06/01/2019 - 19:47

Submitted by hungdq3 on Sat, 05/01/2019 - 08:09

So now I can pronounce underscore "_"

Submitted by Gennady on Mon, 03/12/2018 - 19:50

this is easy lesson)

Submitted by Basma Ba hakam on Sat, 01/12/2018 - 14:38

thank you I like it :) by the way was easy ^^

Submitted by Ksenia-0903 on Fri, 16/11/2018 - 13:32

Thankyou for this lesson!

Submitted by hyuker on Thu, 15/11/2018 - 09:29

It is really helpful. It would be also nice if we can see more samples in different situations. Thanks,

Submitted by Nguyen Anh on Wed, 07/11/2018 - 06:24

the lesson is very useful.. Thank so much
Profile picture for user Optimist

Submitted by Optimist on Sun, 28/10/2018 - 21:06

Check . Thank you !

Submitted by earth799 on Mon, 06/08/2018 - 19:46

Thanks i like it, sincetly my level in english is improved more with this website, i like it

Submitted by NikolayB on Mon, 30/07/2018 - 13:19

Well, this lesson is good, thank you very much. I have a question. First- What's different between link and connect? Second- The word CC Do you use only when writing or in speech too? Also I want to find out the difference between queries and questions// Thank you for reply.

Hello NikolayB.

Connect is a verb whereas link can be a verb or a noun.

When referring to internet sites/pages/addresses we use link.

Connect is used most often for physical connections (in electronics, for example).

CC is an abreviation which comes from letter-writing. It refers to carbon copy – the process of writing two letters at one using carbon paper. You can use it as a verb in spoken English but only in the context of emails ('I'll write to him to day and CC you.').

A question is one sentence which asks for information. A query (making a query) is the process of trying to get information, usally from an official source such as an institution or a company. Thus, you can make a query by asking a question, but also by writing a letter or other means.

Profile picture for user Eng Menghorng

Submitted by Eng Menghorng on Tue, 13/03/2018 - 16:53

Good Exercise!

Submitted by XuMinHa on Mon, 12/03/2018 - 17:22

Hello sir In task 2 : "Dear Mr Prabang, As we agreed, I am sending the contract as an attachment . It is a PDF file. Please let me know if you have any queries. Yours, Andrew Mortimer" In that sentence, can I use this word "questions" istead of " queries " ? And I have another question when you say link address like this http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/ielts-interview-skills/dont-get-over-emotional how do you pronounce "//"," / " and "- "in English? Thanks

Hi XuMinHa,

Yes, you could say 'questions' instead of 'queries' and it would be fine and mean the same thing. '/' is pronounced 'slash', '//' is 'double slash' and '-' is 'dash' or 'hyphen'.