A message to a new friend

Read a direct message on social media to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text

Hi Lucia

How are you? It was so nice to meet you last week in Sydney at the sales meeting. How was the rest of your trip? Did you see any kangaroos? I hope you got home to Mexico City OK.

Anyway, I have the documents about the new Berlin offices. We're going to be open in three months. I moved here from London just last week. They are very nice offices, and the location is perfect. There are lots of restaurants, cafés and banks in the area. There's also public transport; we are next to an U-Bahn (that is the name for the metro here). Maybe you can come and see them one day? I would love to show you Berlin, especially in the winter. You said you have never seen snow – you will see lots here!

Here's a photo of you and me at the restaurant in Sydney. That was a very fun night! Remember the singing Englishman? Crazy! Please send me any other photos you have of that night. Good memories.

Please give me your email address and I will send you the documents.

Bye for now

Mikel

Submitted by John Nguyen on Thu, 25/11/2021 - 03:39

How do you make plans with friends? Email, messenger, phone calls or another way?
Mostly, we have a group chat in messenger to plans with friends

Submitted by ANOUAR on Fri, 19/11/2021 - 10:33

Usually I make planes by phone or meeting my friends directly

Submitted by l.arinha on Mon, 15/11/2021 - 13:56

I make plans with my friends through messenger and calls phone, but I prefer in person.

Submitted by HXY on Sun, 24/10/2021 - 18:22

I usually contact my friends through WhatsApp, and make plans to meet in a mall or a cafe.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Sat, 16/10/2021 - 12:32

I make a plan with my friends by phone calls. Because phone call is so quickly I'm talk about plan.

Submitted by Momocompanyman on Fri, 15/10/2021 - 10:10

I usually call my friend for making plans.

Submitted by Juli on Wed, 13/10/2021 - 17:42

Usually I use Telegram for work and make plan with friends. It's cool app!

Submitted by LamVanPhuong on Tue, 12/10/2021 - 13:58

i often use the message to connect with my friends or calling and sometimes we hang out with them

Submitted by Levine on Sun, 10/10/2021 - 13:13

I usually use Messegnger to make plans with my friends. If it is a work relationalship then i use Skype. I recommend: "Comment secton" should be above people's comments on the website. That place will be more suitable

Submitted by Javier Antonio Seco on Mon, 30/08/2021 - 10:37

Hello All, I usually make plans with my friends by WhatsApp or phone calls. If it is a work relationship I email to the person about the plan and ask him/ her what does he/she think?

Submitted by chris-kutte on Tue, 24/08/2021 - 23:44

I always make plans with my friends by WhatsApp or phone call.

Submitted by ThihaHtetAung on Sat, 21/08/2021 - 05:24

Dear Sir or Madam, I ain't writing this for discussion task. I was little complicated in this reading text. In the second line of the second paragraph in this text, there is " we're going to be open" that what I'm confusing about. In my thoughts, that should be "we're going to open" or "we're going to be opened". I might wrong but could you explain me about that usage. And don't mind me if my writing goes unpolite and pls correct me if I have any mistakes.

Hello ThihaHtetAung,

The word 'open' can be a verb or an adjective:

As a verb:

I opened the door [past simple active]

The door was opened [past simple passive]

As an adjective:

The door was open

In the example you quote the adjective is used: We're going to be open.

Submitted by PuenteD on Thu, 29/07/2021 - 18:51

In this moment I am living in a other country, so I don't have any friends... But, in my country usually I not make plans with my friends, we are together in any place and the spontaneous way: we decided go to drink or make a dinner.

Submitted by avenesra on Sat, 19/06/2021 - 19:51

I make plans with friends by IG or Snapchat. We also have a chat there every day

Submitted by Veronikka on Mon, 10/05/2021 - 00:35

I make plans with my friends by WhatsApp. We have a group on it and organize some meetings from this app.

Submitted by Giuliana on Fri, 07/05/2021 - 22:38

I usually use whatsapp and sometimes i use message of the phone but always i text to my friends for whatsapp.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Fri, 07/05/2021 - 08:20

Usually I make meeting with friends by phone calls. This is convenient for us. Message and email is not for me. I'm a student and don't have a job. I think email and message for professional work. Here's you send documents or other things.

Submitted by marisolar on Thu, 29/04/2021 - 17:55

Depend of the person, if this person is my friend, I always send messages on WhatsApp to him/her. If this person is a professor, or business contact, I send messages using e-mail.

Submitted by Andrea Valencia on Wed, 07/04/2021 - 23:56

I make plans with friends by phone call or message.

Submitted by Venequin on Mon, 05/04/2021 - 17:35

Everyone here start with: I usually but guys I really need new vocabulary, not repetitions.

Submitted by Hamoud. on Sun, 04/04/2021 - 20:50

I usually make plans with my friends by using WhatsApp chatting and sometimes I use my cellphone

Submitted by MikhailZatopliaev on Sun, 28/03/2021 - 06:36

We make plans with my friends by chat in WhatsUp, and rely by call.

Submitted by Rano on Mon, 15/03/2021 - 11:40

Iam text my friend before day from meet,asked her if can spend some time together

Submitted by TIa vinaka on Sun, 14/03/2021 - 03:19

I make plans with friends via social media app like Line or FB messenger. Line is for friends in my country or some asian countries and FB messenger is for international friends :)

Submitted by Hoang Hai on Wed, 24/02/2021 - 04:15

I make plan with friend by using social net worlk apps like Facebook Messenger. Those app really convenient and effective, I can create a group and show diffirent ideas that we don't need meeting in person.

Submitted by alfaozl on Fri, 19/02/2021 - 16:21

I usually make connect by Wp with my friends.Because of the most popular way of the make connection all the world.

Submitted by Evgeny_most on Fri, 19/02/2021 - 11:07

I usually use phone calls or WhatsApp messages to arrange a meeting with friends.

Submitted by Julian_Ramirez on Tue, 09/02/2021 - 22:03

I usually call or send messages to them.

Submitted by Leila77 on Mon, 01/02/2021 - 18:18

I usually use phone calls to make plans with friends, and sometimes I use WhatsApp.

Submitted by GabrielaE on Thu, 28/01/2021 - 17:30

I usually make plans with my friends by WhatsApp because is a commun way to communicate all of us. I have to admit that isn't so easy as I said. We've planned a meeting for weeks, and there's someone who is always busy, but in the past and by experience I know, in fact, that we always see eachother and spend a really nice day. Then, we send the pictures of that day at the same group we've made to plan and to go out.

Submitted by Walid Albuqai on Thu, 28/01/2021 - 00:47

I usually make plans with my friends by mobile phone or watsap.

Submitted by Daniela_rmz on Sat, 23/01/2021 - 02:51

I don't make plans with friends, because I don't have friends

Submitted by Muhammad Mokht… on Fri, 22/01/2021 - 06:36

I use mobile phone, messenger and email for communicating to my friends. I also use Zoom apps for taking my online class. I take exam by google form.

Submitted by German on Wed, 20/01/2021 - 01:26

I make plans with my friends generally by phone or chat.

Submitted by JoséBarrón1012 on Tue, 12/01/2021 - 23:54

most of the time I use whatsap or phone calls to contact my friends

Submitted by Minh on Tue, 12/01/2021 - 18:05

I think I have a number of plans with my friends who live in different corners of the world. We will meet together in Lunar New Year our festival. Therefore, we often connect each other by email, sometime by cell phone because of time zone. On the other hand, we have a family with children, so we need to arrange a lot of things before we decide to travel.

Submitted by Arcangelo-Pereyra on Fri, 08/01/2021 - 22:42

it's really interesting how we improve our level step by step. never say never. have a great 2021 from Dominican Republic

Submitted by Mihály Rojj on Sat, 02/01/2021 - 18:19

I usually use messenger and viber with communication. I think now a days sms and mms etc. alredy not popular.

Submitted by maharosa on Thu, 31/12/2020 - 17:27

i us phone calls to make importante plans with frends, and for the rest i us social media like watsapp

Submitted by EricaSoledad on Tue, 15/12/2020 - 13:55

I contacted my Friends by WhatsApp and we planned the dinners

Submitted by Emma_Torres175 on Mon, 07/12/2020 - 14:40

First we send emails and then we make calls to coordinate much better. Finally, we decided on the place and invited our friends.

Submitted by André Salgado on Tue, 01/12/2020 - 18:25

I often make plans with my friends by phone calls or app social media like whatsapp.

Submitted by Wevellyn on Tue, 24/11/2020 - 21:49

I usually use whatsapp for talk with my friends, and I make meetings by Google Meet. In my work I use e-mail because it's the single way that I can communicate them.

Submitted by Aynura99 on Tue, 17/11/2020 - 20:56

We make plans via WhatsApp. If meeting is too important and there is no internet, then we phone each other.

Submitted by Ehsan on Sun, 15/11/2020 - 20:04

We used to call each other before social media were used in public. but now we usually use messaging applications such as WhatsApp, Telegram and etc.

Submitted by Thinthinmyoe on Sat, 14/11/2020 - 06:47

I always use messenger and phone calls to communicate with my friends.

Submitted by cookym on Tue, 10/11/2020 - 12:18

I think that messenger more convenient for me,so I often use it to plan the meetings with friends,but if I want to meet with members of family I will call them .

Submitted by cocof1b2 on Sat, 07/11/2020 - 14:55

Usually, we have a group in Wechat, before we decide to do something, everyone can discuss in the group.

Submitted by Ana Luisa Sanc… on Thu, 05/11/2020 - 00:08

I usually use WhatsApp for any plans that i have to do, we create a new group with every participant, and there every one explain their doubts and ideas .