Organising a group project

Listen to people organising a group project and answer the questions to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Cara: So for our group project, do you want to start this week?

Selim: Yeah, I want to start early so we have enough time.

Robert: Me too, but I've got a big maths project too.

Cara: How about we meet first to plan what we're going to do? Just for an hour.

Robert: Good idea, Cara.

Cara: When are you free?

Robert: I can always do mornings before 10.

Cara: Robert … Uh …

Selim: I'm sleeping before 10!

Robert: OK! OK, so when are you two free?

Cara: Wednesdays are good for me. But not very early, please!

Selim: I can't do the mornings on Wednesdays but I have 3 till 5 free.

Robert: I can do 4 o'clock, just before my maths class.

Cara: Great, 4 then. Where shall we meet?

Selim: The library?

Robert: I don't know. The library isn't a good place for a planning meeting as we can't talk in there.

Cara: How about the university café? It's near the library. We can talk in there. And eat cake.

Selim: Cake is good.

Robert: OK, so Wednesday at the café. I need to leave at ten to five to go to my maths class.

Cara: No problem. Planning will take less than an hour.

Selim: OK! See you Wednesday for cake.

Robert and Cara: See you, Selim!

Submitted by nikta on Sat, 13/11/2021 - 16:53

I usually study in library with my friends.

Submitted by ANOUAR on Fri, 12/11/2021 - 08:49

Usually I meet my friends at the café.

Submitted by LamVanPhuong on Tue, 09/11/2021 - 09:59

it's a coffee shop because we can talking there without disturbing others.

Submitted by KyawMinThu on Wed, 27/10/2021 - 06:19

As for me , I would like to study with my friends in a quiet place such as library.

Submitted by vuhoap on Thu, 21/10/2021 - 13:44

When I was at university, I liked to study with friends at library. We usually went to library in the lunch time on the day week. There are a few times when we were so busy talking about a problem but forgot to say it out loud, so got reminded by the librarian.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Mon, 04/10/2021 - 11:50

I like to study with friends in home because there we can eat many things and many things can do together.

Submitted by Andrea Valencia on Wed, 11/08/2021 - 14:34

When I studied at university, I liked to study with my friends in the cafeteria, now I study virtually and I like to study with my friends at home or online. When I study alone, I like to study in the library.

Submitted by KATIELLE RAIAN… on Sun, 11/07/2021 - 11:40

I actually like to study alone. I prefer to walk with friends, and study alone.

Submitted by Munirah Saad 20 on Mon, 24/05/2021 - 11:29

I do not like to study with friends but I like to make quick review one hour before test.

Submitted by Mai Khin Nway Shein on Tue, 13/04/2021 - 08:26

I like to study alone. I can't concentrate if there has someone near me.

Submitted by Alex.BC on Thu, 08/04/2021 - 12:14

When I was at University, I liked to study with friends at home.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Thu, 08/04/2021 - 04:59

Usually I like to study in a room in a single. Because there is no one can you disturb me. I feel like a alone. Alone person is have possibility to change the world. And most of persons who afraid to being alone I said to him yor are great in the world. You are god's choosen person.

Submitted by DarwinM on Wed, 07/04/2021 - 20:50

I like to study with friends at the central library of my university because of the atmosphere. It's a good place to concentrate and take all the books you need while studying.

Submitted by Brenda Patrici… on Mon, 05/04/2021 - 15:43

I liked to study in my faculty's library, because we could talk, listen to music, take our laptops and do group projects.

Submitted by tvkien on Thu, 01/04/2021 - 03:48

When I was in the university, I often study with my classmate at the University's library which has a lot of books we can refer to. Besides that, sometimes we discuss a group project at home.

Submitted by SaraMessa on Mon, 29/03/2021 - 18:34

When I was to university, I always studied alone, because I was more concentrated. When we had to organise a group project, we met at library or in empty classroom.

Submitted by Veronikka on Mon, 29/03/2021 - 00:56

When I was at the university, I liked to study in the library or in some of our houses.

Submitted by MikhailZatopliaev on Wed, 24/03/2021 - 22:04

I like to study with friends at a Library. There are you can speak, you shouldn't talk very loudly only in special rooms. Unfortunately, I haven't University's cafe at my University.

Submitted by TIa vinaka on Tue, 23/03/2021 - 02:12

I like to study with friends in a cafe where is not small and crowded, eating cake and having coffee!

Submitted by azahrara on Sun, 21/03/2021 - 10:17

No, I like to study alone because I became more focused. I usually study at my room or cafe.

Submitted by Minh on Fri, 19/03/2021 - 03:03

When I was in University I really keen on studying with my friend in library. But every so often, we studied at my home where we could feel comfortable each other. Moreover, we were easily to take time and discussed and joked a number of lessons.

Submitted by mirtha on Sun, 14/03/2021 - 04:47

When I was in the university, my friends and I look for an available classroom.

Submitted by Giuliana on Thu, 11/03/2021 - 20:23

I don't like study with my friends because i don't usually study with them , ( i don't know why), but is strange study with other people, i feel deconcentrated and idk, i don't like it. But now i'm going to university and i think i will accustom to study with other people and i would like study in a cafe or in any place without noise.

Submitted by Majidaa909 on Sat, 06/03/2021 - 11:09

I don't like to study with friends,but I ask him in the WhatsApp.

Submitted by Brenda Patrici… on Mon, 01/03/2021 - 15:50

When I was at the University, I liked studying outside on the grass, as we could get away from the traditional classroom and feel the warm wind on our faces.

Submitted by vespinosa10 on Mon, 22/02/2021 - 15:36

I like to study in the classroom or some times in the recces.

Submitted by MilGer on Sat, 20/02/2021 - 12:49

I like to study with my friends at the library

Submitted by In on Wed, 03/02/2021 - 22:55

I like to study with my friends at the library or in a quiet place.

Submitted by senaguner on Mon, 01/02/2021 - 01:24

I like to study with my friends in book cafe. Because that places are quite and peaceful. We can study very good in the book cafe.My friends and I be able to study very good in the book cafe.

Submitted by kautsar on Sat, 30/01/2021 - 13:34

i used to study together with my friends at cofee cafe because the atmosphere was calm and quiet.

Submitted by Leila77 on Fri, 29/01/2021 - 09:51

When I was student I used to study with my friends at the library in the university.

Submitted by mostafa9222 on Sun, 24/01/2021 - 09:32

In the past, I liked to study with my friends at library, however we were talking there more than reading... but for now I prefer my house

Submitted by German on Sat, 16/01/2021 - 00:27

I like to study with friends at the library and at the café too. It´s good too study at the apartment or house of the some friend.

Submitted by Tzar on Tue, 29/12/2020 - 06:49

I would like to study with my closed friends.I often invite them to study to my home.It is more convenient for us to focus on the subjects because we aren't disturbed by anyone.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Tue, 29/12/2020 - 04:24

I would like to read hostel room with best friends. We debat some issues internal or external. We also make coffee and enjoy with learning. We don't accept disturbance by anyone. All of people in hostel scared us. So no one disturbing.

Submitted by glen on Sun, 20/12/2020 - 21:07

I would like a quite place where I could focus and learn more so probably the best place to study is in the library where I could have or get more resources like books and or at home in my room with the closed door.

Submitted by Tatiana barrera on Tue, 15/12/2020 - 17:20

I like to study with my friends in the park or in their houses

Submitted by pabloxje on Wed, 09/12/2020 - 03:13

I like to work at a Café or at meeting rooms that are inside some libraries.

Submitted by m.someah on Tue, 01/12/2020 - 15:18

Honestly, I tend to study somewhere with no distractions. So, the best place can be a library or my house for gathering with my friend in order to study and research.

Submitted by Sergio1994 on Sun, 29/11/2020 - 16:16

In my case, when we organizing a group project of the university, stay the meeting an specific hour, but always someone of the group doesn't go to the meeting xd

Submitted by hasan.kumek on Thu, 19/11/2020 - 16:56

We study with friends on zoom, but I would like to meet our library of university. This days we have unusual situation.

Submitted by kkt on Mon, 16/11/2020 - 07:14

What accents are these in?

Hello kkt,

Cara's accent is Scottish. I would guess around Edinburgh, but I'm not an expert on Scottish regional varieties.

Robert's accent is from the north-west of England: Lancashire or the Manchester region.

Selim's accent is a southern English accent. It doesn't have very strong regional features, so it's hard to place it specifically, but it would probaby be somewhere in the region sometimes called the Home Counties - the counties around London from Essex to Oxfordshire.

Submitted by gatopipo on Fri, 13/11/2020 - 09:47

I prefer to study with my friends quietly in the library.

Submitted by Pedro Javier on Fri, 06/11/2020 - 16:13

I would like to study with my classmates in a quiet place, where we can talk, also where we can make or buy some food or drink and a place where it is easy for all of us to arrive.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Tue, 20/10/2020 - 08:59

Dear British Council Team, Please explain ten to five and twenty to eight. I couldn't understand.

Hello Suraj Singh,

These are clock times:

ten to five means 04.50 or 16.50, depending on whether it is in the morning or the afternoon.

twenty to eight means 07.40 or 19.40, similarly.

Submitted by Ugulhan on Thu, 15/10/2020 - 06:50

I usually will invite them to my home and they can feel free their self. We would like to drink a cup of tea or coffee and then we will start to study our tasks.

Submitted by ESPERANZA MARINO on Tue, 13/10/2020 - 17:27

I prefer study at the studying room because is beautifull place, calm and quiet.

Submitted by DEICY on Mon, 12/10/2020 - 17:23

I like make project with my friends or classmates, I prefer if is possible work together in our houses, because each person can give your opinions.