Holiday home adverts

Read two adverts for places to stay on holiday to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text

City flat

Beautiful two-bedroom city flat five minutes' walk from the cathedral. Fully equipped kitchen, living room with a large sofa and chairs, big TV and balcony. The balcony has space for four people to sit and gets the sun in the mornings, and the flat is light and warm. It has Wi-Fi and fast internet. The upstairs bedroom sleeps four people, with two double beds; the downstairs bedroom sleeps two in single beds. The flat is perfect for families and is near shops, bars and restaurants.

Farmhouse

Four-bedroom farmhouse in the countryside. All of the four double bedrooms are en suite with luxury shower and bath. Farm kitchen with barbecue, tables and chairs outside. Great for groups of friends. The supermarket is half an hour by car and you can take a train from the village into the city. Escape from normal life for a few days as we have … NO INTERNET and you can only use mobile phones at the bottom of the garden!

Submitted by ANOUAR on Fri, 12/11/2021 - 09:05

On holidays, I would prefer to go to a farm house where i can breath a fresh air and enjoy the beauty of nature with my wife.

Submitted by ayaabdo on Tue, 26/10/2021 - 00:36

I'd like to go to the capital to visit different places there.

Submitted by LamVanPhuong on Mon, 25/10/2021 - 11:04

maybe i will choose the flat in the city for my holiday because i like noisy and the most important thing is i can't live if have no internet.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Fri, 15/10/2021 - 19:27

I choose farmhouse because I'm very bored to using smartphone. I try to get rid of this. I like place where no internet have.

Submitted by Momocompanyman on Thu, 09/09/2021 - 16:22

I choose farmhouse.

Submitted by KATIELLE RAIAN… on Sun, 11/07/2021 - 14:55

Wow, I love traveling! At the moment, I am thinking of visiting Cancun, Mexico.

Submitted by Laura390 on Thu, 27/05/2021 - 02:51

I need a house near of the city but this should be in the countryside, with one bedroom and a confortable doube bed, for two people. Fully equiped kitchen and I don´t need that this be luxury however the house will have beautiful spaces.

Submitted by mostafa99 on Thu, 20/05/2021 - 09:10

i'd prefer to choose the city flat

Submitted by Marilyncc on Mon, 17/05/2021 - 14:19

I'd enjoy spending time on holiday in a farmhouse

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Wed, 05/05/2021 - 13:00

I'd like to choose a farmhouse as a holiday to take a social distance. ;)

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Wed, 05/05/2021 - 05:31

I would like flat in countryside because I want to see many countries like itely England etc.. I also like live in farmhouse without internet and people.

Submitted by DarwinM on Wed, 14/04/2021 - 22:16

I'd choose a farmhouse for holidays because I like barbecue and the nature.

Submitted by Aye Chan Moe on Tue, 13/04/2021 - 12:24

If I were to choose 1 of em', I'd choose the farmhouse for a Holiday. Why? Because, Everything there is fresh and It can even reduce your stress. But, As there are advantages of your choice, There could be disadvantages, too.

Submitted by victor.07 on Thu, 08/04/2021 - 22:20

I would choose the country house because I never lived in the country and I think it would be fun

Submitted by Brenda Patrici… on Mon, 05/04/2021 - 16:10

I would choose the farmhouse, because I like to be on the countryside and I like my family prepare a barbacue outside.

Submitted by Shadi on Tue, 30/03/2021 - 15:23

I would like a farmehouse , i think it's airy , sunny , and more comfortable for me , and for sure to make barbecue

Submitted by Andrea Valencia on Sun, 28/03/2021 - 21:27

I would like a nice city flat in a nice city like Paris, London or Venice. I would like a nice farmhouse in a nice country like Italy, Holland or France.

Submitted by mirtha on Fri, 26/03/2021 - 19:52

I prefer the farmhouse for a holiday.

Submitted by Natasa Tanasa on Fri, 26/03/2021 - 09:38

Dear all, I am a little bit confused when I have to say for example: I sit IN a chair / I sit ON a chair OR: There is a ball on the armchair / in the armchair There is a ball on / in the chair. What is correct? I am looking forward to hearing from you!

Submitted by Kirk on Fri, 26/03/2021 - 10:09

In reply to by Natasa Tanasa

Hello Natasa Tanasa,

We usually say 'sit in a chair' when the chair is an armchair; it's as if it were a semi-enclosed space. In most other cases, people say 'on a chair'.

You might hear people say 'in' sometimes, but I teach my students the rule that I described above.

Hope this helps.

Submitted by MikhailZatopliaev on Sat, 20/03/2021 - 09:54

It sounds good to spend weekend in FarmHouse. I like a barbecue and fresh air.

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Mon, 15/03/2021 - 12:52

I would like to stay at a farmhouse with some animals. Fantastic! ;)

Submitted by Veronikka on Mon, 15/03/2021 - 00:04

Definitely I prefer the farmhouse for a holiday. I like the quiet places. Before I lived in the city, but now I live in a cottage. I adore this kind of places because I feel so good.

Submitted by TIa vinaka on Sat, 06/03/2021 - 01:37

I would choose the farm house for my holiday. I would like to relax surrounded by nature sound.

Submitted by senaguner on Mon, 01/02/2021 - 03:27

I like quiet and peaceful places for on holiday. Therefore I prefer farmhouse. I relax countryside. I love trees, flowers and nature. I like to trekking in forest.

Submitted by In on Mon, 25/01/2021 - 07:11

I prefer the farmhouse to disconnect from the city, to be in peace in connection with nature.

Submitted by Leila77 on Sun, 24/01/2021 - 07:48

I definitely prefer the farmhouse for a holiday. I like being in a quiet place, it's more relaxing.

Submitted by German on Wed, 13/01/2021 - 00:53

I would like to travel for holidays to Germany or France and I would like a farmhouse, with a large kitchen and a garden.

Submitted by Tatiana barrera on Tue, 15/12/2020 - 02:40

I would travel to a farmhouse because I love the environment' naturals. Whit this option I would enjoy my holidays with my family or friends because I wouldn´t use my cellphone(this place doesn't have internet)

Submitted by Aidana Omirbek on Fri, 04/12/2020 - 08:52

I prefer farmhouse because I like fresh air and green garden. I think farmhouse comfortable place for holiday.

Submitted by Nurieta on Wed, 18/11/2020 - 22:01

I prefer a quiet place. We usually go to a Hotel in Cadiz, because is a beautiful place, where you can find relax, you can practice sport, you can go to the beach .... everything there, is really amazing. The bedroom has everything you need, a comfortable bed, a big bath, a balcony with a table and chairs ... all you need for be happy during your holidays.

Submitted by Pedro Javier on Fri, 13/11/2020 - 16:03

I would like to choose the farmhouse because it is far from the city away from the noise and stress, in the countryside we can breathe clean air and enjoy nature, we could swim in a river or lake or to have a great barbecue, I really prefer to rest in a quiet place with very few people

Submitted by Ehsan on Tue, 10/11/2020 - 07:44

I would like a cottage in a jangle.

Submitted by acis on Mon, 09/11/2020 - 14:41

I sometimes would like to be away from everything and therefore i could choose farmhouse for a holiday.However I sometimes would like to travel in any city with my family or my friends.in short the decision i make depens on what i want.

Submitted by alexiaimogen on Thu, 22/10/2020 - 06:32

I prefer to go on holiday to a place that doesn't have many people, good accommodation and services, and warm weather.

Submitted by menna emad on Tue, 20/10/2020 - 21:40

I prefer the countryside because it's a calm place. there we feel the peace of mind and soul, we smell fresh and clear air. and the green view there is amazing. I live in a city, but in summer we love to take break from the noise and go to rural areas where we can enjoy and have time to think & work effectively as well.

Submitted by wiwin on Thu, 15/10/2020 - 14:51

As a person living and working in a city, I would love to spend my holidays in the countryside. yes, it is time to escape from hectic and busy life and get close to the nature. Well, for me nature heal. Go spending your time at the beach while barbecuing,picnic. Go see a spectacular view of the nature and go get fresh air is all I want!

Submitted by Moon Wathan on Fri, 09/10/2020 - 10:12

I would like to choose farm house because I want to escape from normal life for a few days and I want to go with my friends. I decide to travel like that place with my friend. I think that it is fun for me and friends. After finishing the lockdown cause of the Corona, I want to travel to that places.

Submitted by Hyuka on Sat, 03/10/2020 - 15:01

I love the second one.I would like to take a break from my normal life and don't want to spend too much time on social medias and just want to talk here and there to my friends in person.I bet that would be fun and great way to relax our body and mind.

Submitted by habibao.medo on Sat, 03/10/2020 - 14:43

i would like to go to something like the flat because of the wi-fi but i would like to go to the farmhouse with my friends i think it will be amazing

Submitted by Asni on Wed, 16/09/2020 - 22:06

For a holiday, I'd choose a house in the countryside and near the sea where I can enjoy nature with my family.

Submitted by Pola on Wed, 09/09/2020 - 20:25

I would like choose a holiday at farmhouse.

Submitted by shelly on Tue, 08/09/2020 - 10:31

I would like to choose my holiday in the countryside near sea with my family. Every morning we can enjoy the first sunlight, maybe in the evening we can take a shor walk on the beach. Living in the monotonous city everyday, I really need to escape from air pollution and noise, and put the mobile phone aside for a week. Thinking nothing for a while will be a good way to improve our physical and mental health. Also, the house needs to be suitable, with all facilities in case we want to cook some healthy food and play some small games.

Submitted by sonjoy on Sun, 06/09/2020 - 11:38

Actually, i prefer the place which one is come and quite and far away from city life,yes it is countryside. I think we visit different places for getting relaxation and finding trouble free life, in that sense farmhouse will be one of the best place for enjoying my wonderful holidays.According to passage, as there is no internet in Farmhouse so we can utilize our stunning time with gossiping and playing games.This is good sign to close to each other and nature.

Submitted by Faheem Khan on Tue, 18/08/2020 - 13:10

i would like to choose farmhouse because our family is large. so we can takes ourself easy

Submitted by Maria19 on Mon, 03/08/2020 - 21:49

I would choose a farmhouse. My family and I prefer pastoral, quiet and relaxed places to hear the birds chirping and see the nature around us.

Submitted by sribashu30 on Tue, 28/07/2020 - 03:06

I would like to know the correct answer: 1)Lisa is an actor and a writer. 2)Lisa is an actor and writer. In my opinion no 2 is correct as only one article (here- a) is applicable in case of same one person. I case of no 2,I think here two indefinite articles are wrongly used to refer two persons whereas only one person is there. Help me please to know the correct answer.

Hello sribashu30,

Both are correct.

You asked the same, or a very similar, question on another page (here) and I explained there the reason. Please post questions once only as multiple postings only slow the process down.