An email cover letter

Learn how to write a cover letter or email to respond to a job advert.

Reading text

From: Laura Mazzanti
To: David Kelly, HR Manager
Subject: Application for sales manager position

Dear Mr Kelly,

I am writing in response to the job advertisement on the ABC Jobs website for the position of sales manager.

I have five years of experience in sales. For the last three years, I have worked as a team leader, managing a team of 20 sales assistants in a large store. I have experience in hiring, training and managing staff. I have good communication skills and I can speak Italian, Spanish and English.

I have attached my CV with more information about my background and qualifications.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Laura Mazzanti

Tips

1. Be specific in the subject line and say what job you are applying for.
  2. Start your email with Dear Mr/Mrs/Ms + person's surname.
  3. Say where you saw the advertisement.
  4. Say which job you're applying for. You can use the sentence I'm writing in response to the job advertisement for the position of … .
  5. Write a short paragraph to say why you're suitable for the job. Mention your education, qualifications, work experience or skills.
  6. Attach a CV (also known as a résumé in the USA) with more information about your qualifications and background.
  7. End by saying I look forward to hearing from you soon or I hope to hear from you soon.
  8. Sign off with Best regards or Best wishes.
Do you need to improve your English writing skills?
Join thousands of learners from around the world who are improving their English writing skills with our live online classes and personal tutoring courses.

Submitted by Reza 2020 on Sat, 25/04/2020 - 14:26

Dear Mr. Smith I am writing to response of your job advertisement at your website for the position of secretary office. I have a bachelor's degree in international relationship and also worked as a secretary office at ABC company. I have good experience at working to international organization. Beside of English I can speak Arabic and French fluently. I have attached my CV for more information and qualification to my skills. Best Regards Reza

Submitted by Mohamed Kargbo on Sat, 25/04/2020 - 13:55

My CV would includes: My personal informational School background Working Experience Personal development Skills Hobbies and Referees.

Submitted by ademyonet on Sat, 18/04/2020 - 10:22

In a CV it must be belows: - Name surname - applicated for job position - Dear Mr/Mss .... (surname) title - Say where you seeing for job application - write you have experience and skills - say which you have education - Say you look forward to hearing from they soon. - End you regards and with your sign.
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Wed, 08/04/2020 - 03:05

The kind of information I would include in my CV are as follows: - Personal Profile. - Vision Statement. - Personal Skills. - Education and Working Experience Background. - Language Skills.

Submitted by rivercountryside on Fri, 20/03/2020 - 08:28

My CV starts with privacy, qualifications, diplomas, experiences and then skills.
Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Submitted by Magedelabd on Wed, 26/02/2020 - 05:32

I start my cv with my personal information like my name . Phone number . Address and so on. Rheb write a prev about my carrier the list my work experience

Submitted by Dariusz on Tue, 04/02/2020 - 00:37

I would include informations like education, work experience, skills and interests. This is common in my country.

Submitted by MaryaSun on Fri, 31/01/2020 - 16:02

on my CV i include all types of informations that can be useful for who read it. I write on it my presentation like name, surname, birth date, my address, my email address, my phone number. Then i write all about my work experiences with start's and finish's date and what is my main job. Then, i write all about my studies, my high school, my university, my final score, my degree. Then i write about my languages' s and IT's skills. At last i write about my certificates and my driving licences.

Submitted by shahhoseini on Sat, 18/01/2020 - 15:12

I have written and arranged my CV in three sections. First, I have introduced personal information such as first name, surname, phone number, etc. In the second section, I have written my education and skills certificates and Finally; I have pointed to my working experiences.

Submitted by The Hung on Thu, 12/12/2019 - 08:18

I think that would include the years of working experience, the main projects you've done until now, qualifications, the occupational goals in the future and the current contact.

Submitted by Dawn on Sun, 08/09/2019 - 06:27

Dear Sir/Madam I am writing in response for the job posted at linked in, for legal assistant. I have six years experience as a lawyer registered at the BBA. I am responsible of the commercial department. I have a good experience working as a team, and working under pressure. You can check my cv attached below for further information and qualifications. I am looking forward to hearing from you soon. Best regards, Dawn

Submitted by Huyen on Tue, 27/08/2019 - 15:00

The information should show in the CV as personal information( name, date of birth, living place, phone number), background, experience, skill, and hobby.

Submitted by cittàutopica on Mon, 19/08/2019 - 18:59

I would include in my CV all kind of information regarding education, qualifications, work experience and skills.and I would add other indications about my character, my hobbies, etc .

Submitted by Dimpy on Thu, 25/07/2019 - 16:23

Just to be clear, every bit of information included in my CV or resume is completely and undoubtedly authentic :) Moving forward, in my CV or resume, I would add my skills comprising of research skills and communication skills. Then I'll write my work experience and then educational qualifications. In the end I'll give name(s) of referee(s) to whom the employer can contact to clarify or verify anything written by me in my CV.
Profile picture for user mtalebi

Submitted by mtalebi on Tue, 11/06/2019 - 06:33

Hi Sir, Why Master's in Engineering? how about Master in Engineering? Regards,
Profile picture for user Peter M.

Submitted by Peter M. on Tue, 11/06/2019 - 07:16

In reply to by mtalebi

Hi mtalebi,

We use the apostrophe because the qualification is actually a possessive form:

A master's = a master's degree = the degree of a master

The capitalisation varies. Sometimes master's is capitalised, sometimes not. However, when we specify the subject, it is normal to capitalise:

I have a Master's in Engineering

or

I finished my Master of Arts in Architecture in 2008.

Hi Peter I was wondering if Master in Chemistry/Chemical Engineering is correct, according to what I was able to gather from your second suggestion n the above post. Oh and many many thanks to you, Kirk, and British Council for this amazing portal, I've enjoyed and learnt a lot here :)
Profile picture for user Kirk

Submitted by Kirk on Fri, 26/07/2019 - 00:19

In reply to by Dimpy

Hi Dimpy

I'd recommend 'Master's in Chemistry' or 'Master of Science in Chemistry' (the latter phrasing is particularly common in the US and Canada); 'Master in Chemistry' is not the way it is expressed in standard British or American English.

Glad that you like the site!

All the best

Submitted by saydin on Thu, 23/05/2019 - 23:16

I am adding first summary then detailed my work experience and skills.

Submitted by Marina_i on Wed, 10/04/2019 - 08:33

Hello, the text above is an example of e-mail letter? If yes, then could you e[plain me please the structure of such a letter sent by post? I mean what do we write in the top right-hand corner?
Profile picture for user Kirk

Submitted by Kirk on Wed, 10/04/2019 - 10:12

In reply to by Marina_i

Hello Marina_i Yes, that is correct, it is an example of an email cover letter. There are different styles for paper letters, but I'd say one of the most common is to first write the sender's address, then an empty line, then write the date, then an empty line, then write the name and address of the person you're sending the letter to, then an empty line, then the beginning of the letter. All the best Kirk The LearnEnglish Team

Submitted by elobied on Sat, 23/02/2019 - 14:58

Hello, Why not say: I am looking forward to hear from you

Hello elobied

In the phrase 'look forward to', 'to' is a preposition, not part of an infinitive. In English, whenever a verb form follows a preposition, it always goes in some kind of -ing form. This is why 'look forward to hearing' is correct and 'to hear' is not.

All the best