Meeting a new team member

Listen to a conversation between two new colleagues to practise your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Peter: Hi, my name's Peter. What's your name?

Carla: Hi, Peter. I'm Carla. I'm new here.

Peter: Welcome to the company, Carla.

Carla: Thanks, Peter. I'm happy to be here and it's nice to meet you.

Peter: It's nice to meet you too.

Carla: Where do you work?

Peter: I work in the design team. We sit over there.

Carla: I'm in the marketing team. I started last week.

Peter: You work in marketing? That's very interesting.

Carla: Yes, it is. I'm enjoying it. But there are a lot of new things to learn.

Peter: I'm sure there are. I'm happy to help you if I can.

Carla: Thank you, Peter. What do you do in the design department?

Peter: I design new products.

Carla: That sounds interesting. I plan marketing events for new products. So I think we'll work together sometimes.

Peter: That would be great. So, where are you from, Carla?

Carla: Brazil. And you?

Peter: I'm from the UK.

Carla: How long have you been here?

Peter: I've worked here for three years but I actually moved here from the UK five years ago, to study.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Submitted by Santika on Tue, 30/07/2019 - 03:27

When I meet people for the first time, I usually say nothing. The people who I meet for the first time usually talk about many things about themselves, mostly about their friend, girlfriend/boyfriend, and family. They already know my name and they give their name to me. Then we do common things like meet other friend/friends, go to classroom/lecture theater/open public place for rest/food store/ transportation, and do the school/university/office task for each one of us.

Submitted by Mohd_tom1990 on Wed, 24/07/2019 - 09:18

Inew a new in aribian Ceramics factory iwork in mining department I'm ageologist I'm from sudan

Submitted by ayusisi on Tue, 23/07/2019 - 07:42

When I meet people for the first time, usually talk about the name, address, Job, hobby, and families.

Submitted by gedi on Tue, 23/07/2019 - 05:03

I ask him their name and which country they come from and i say him to welcome at anew work even introduce each other so i like to share him some of information about the company low if i know

Submitted by fariba on Wed, 17/07/2019 - 08:16

i talk about her education or work.

Submitted by fariba on Wed, 17/07/2019 - 08:01

nice too meet you.i am glad to meet you.

Submitted by salehisalehi65 on Tue, 16/07/2019 - 13:47

usually i have a greeting with him/her, say i glad to meet you and just ask about her/his program if its related to me. i conclude that we have forigner vendors came from brazil smar company, and we almost talking about work.... and some times they ask about our country culter and ancient place

Submitted by Chue on Sun, 14/07/2019 - 09:53

When I first meet with new people, I usually ask about their name, job career, university, age,etc.

Submitted by popo1011 on Tue, 02/07/2019 - 05:26

If I meet someone for the first time, I introduce myself. If he/she wants to speak with me, I talk about my country, my family, my work, my habitus,... I get his/her phone number, email address. I ask about his/her education, work, family,...

Submitted by Cho on Mon, 01/07/2019 - 14:02

When I meet first time, introduce each other and listen what they want to talk.

Submitted by Diana0419 on Sun, 30/06/2019 - 07:16

If my class has a new student in our class, I will give some directions and approaches to let them know in order for them to get used to the new environment. In terms of the relationship, I will introduce my friends to my classmate because it is happy to get along with the new student.

Submitted by Mennaosama on Tue, 25/06/2019 - 05:09

i talk about his\ her information to know him\her

Submitted by Roger Rogers on Mon, 24/06/2019 - 13:08

First, I introduce myself and talk about my basic information. The new person will also do the same. Basic routine at the workplace is another topic.

Submitted by Praveen kumar on Sat, 15/06/2019 - 12:07

I ask there name,where they are from and finaly nice to meet you see you aruond.

Submitted by Agata2021 on Mon, 03/06/2019 - 13:55

When I meet a new person I usually ask about names and where they from. Sometimes I ask about work and education and how they spend free time.

Submitted by mhazizi on Thu, 30/05/2019 - 14:41

I talk about her/his name, country/city, job. Also, I want to know what do he/she here and some subjects will come after talking.
Profile picture for user andredithfv

Submitted by andredithfv on Sun, 26/05/2019 - 06:00

When I meet people of the first time, usually I ask her about your work, hobbies or family. I like speak about me too, I speak about my country, my city and about my family too.
Profile picture for user andredithfv

Submitted by andredithfv on Sun, 26/05/2019 - 05:58

Profile picture for user teddysl

Submitted by teddysl on Sun, 26/05/2019 - 03:56

if i meet a interesting person for the first time i will get his/her facebook detail or mobile number after that i can make a chat
Profile picture for user TP

Submitted by TP on Sun, 26/05/2019 - 03:54

I usually talk about myself such as my name and where I am from. Then I ask what his/her name and where he/she is from. I also talk about his/her interests, weather and other interesting facts. I express my happiness of meeting the person. However, I never talk about politics and religious matters.

Submitted by Kavi on Sun, 26/05/2019 - 03:48

When I meet new people i talk about our details.Specially I ask their names.after i talk about our countries,family background,profession etc. I like to meet new people & introduce myself.
Profile picture for user Ana Luisa Sanchez Arroyo

Submitted by Ana Luisa Sanc… on Fri, 10/05/2019 - 16:56

Hello everyone, In my job is usual be in touch with new teams, members, and new places. Is great and enrich know new people
Profile picture for user kamal.buet

Submitted by kamal.buet on Tue, 07/05/2019 - 04:06

When i meet new people for the first time, we first introduce ourselves. Afterwards we talk about our professions and the companies we serves. If the person is interesting, we extend the conversion about our countries, hobbies and cultures. we try to avoid to ask personal questions for the first time.

Submitted by Setareh on Sun, 28/04/2019 - 03:42

when I meet people for the first time I question them first name and education , its job and finally I say to them to be success;
Profile picture for user Stanley Alvarez

Submitted by Stanley Alvarez on Fri, 19/04/2019 - 20:54

Usually, when I meet new people I talk about our names, countries and professions. If conversation is more interesting, I ask where is he/she live, what do he/she think about my country/city, how long he/she has thought to stay here and so on.

Submitted by Adem-new on Thu, 18/04/2019 - 11:47

When I meet any people first I can try to know them about the country, language, etc. I also wondering their cultures furthermore what they do. if we get on each other I continue to talk to them.

Submitted by César Árraga on Tue, 16/04/2019 - 01:25

When I meet people for the first time I greet to the person then I usually introduce me and I ask his/her name. Depending on the circumstance, for example, moments before a job interview I ask to my partner too: what did you study in? which university or institute did you study?, why did you study this career?, etc.
Profile picture for user mehrazin

Submitted by mehrazin on Mon, 08/04/2019 - 18:13

Dear British Council team when i meet people for the first time I introduce myself and I prefer to talk about different matters , firstly i like to be informed of any personal information about him such as the age and marital status and his job etc .... then if everything are OK I will go on talking about social matters and political discussions . then i ll talk about my favorite ones to see how much we are in common ... best regards

Submitted by cittàutopica on Thu, 04/04/2019 - 19:39

It depends on the situations: for example, if I meet people for the first time in a party, I try to abstain from the questions too personal; instead, in the working groups, I ask some informations about the work esperience, etc.

Submitted by Olena Stefkivska on Sat, 30/03/2019 - 10:53

Hi) This is very interesting and useful video:) It would be great if you made it possible to download the transcript and tasks)
Profile picture for user Peter M.

Submitted by Peter M. on Sun, 31/03/2019 - 07:47

In reply to by Olena Stefkivska

Hello Olena, Thank you for the suggestion. We're doing a lot of work on the site at the moment and one of the things we are doing is creating PDFs of the transcript and exercises for this and other Listening pages. Sometime fairly soon they should be ready. Peter The LearnEnglish Team
Dear Peter Please, Could you tell me wich it other Listening pages there are? Also, I'd like to practice it in a future. Best regards. Cesar.
Profile picture for user Peter M.

Submitted by Peter M. on Tue, 16/04/2019 - 06:45

In reply to by César Árraga

Hello Cesar Arraga, You can find our listening pages here: https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/listening ~ To find material on a particular language point or on particular topics, or to practise particular skills, you can use our search page: https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/content Scroll down past the test and you'll see the search tool. ~ Peter The LearnEnglish Team