Meeting a new team member

Listen to a conversation between two new colleagues to practise your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Peter: Hi, my name's Peter. What's your name?

Carla: Hi, Peter. I'm Carla. I'm new here.

Peter: Welcome to the company, Carla.

Carla: Thanks, Peter. I'm happy to be here and it's nice to meet you.

Peter: It's nice to meet you too.

Carla: Where do you work?

Peter: I work in the design team. We sit over there.

Carla: I'm in the marketing team. I started last week.

Peter: You work in marketing? That's very interesting.

Carla: Yes, it is. I'm enjoying it. But there are a lot of new things to learn.

Peter: I'm sure there are. I'm happy to help you if I can.

Carla: Thank you, Peter. What do you do in the design department?

Peter: I design new products.

Carla: That sounds interesting. I plan marketing events for new products. So I think we'll work together sometimes.

Peter: That would be great. So, where are you from, Carla?

Carla: Brazil. And you?

Peter: I'm from the UK.

Carla: How long have you been here?

Peter: I've worked here for three years but I actually moved here from the UK five years ago, to study.

Submitted by Phạm Thị Mỹ Dung on Mon, 06/12/2021 - 15:41

Whenever I meet someone new, I frequently compliment them on their hair, appearance, or clothing. Then I may talk about their work, hobbies, name, age, among other things.

Submitted by Charles.Baguma on Tue, 30/11/2021 - 22:04

when I meet a new person I normally introduce my self first next I ask for his name, what he does and where he is from

Submitted by Ehsan on Tue, 23/11/2021 - 06:28

It varies according to different circumstances. we see the people in different places, different situations and etc. for example if I see a person in a gym, we will talk about during activity time of us in the gym. days that we came to the gym. we can talk about work out and etc.

Submitted by Kamelbenslimane on Mon, 22/11/2021 - 19:49

When I meet people for the first time, i usually tall about work, study and hobbies.

Submitted by Poorna.chander on Thu, 11/11/2021 - 02:53

When i meet new people for first time, I first say Hai and what is your name, where are you from and what are you doing and where do you work and what do you work, i ask about office details and are you happy with your work at your current working office

Submitted by John Nguyen on Mon, 08/11/2021 - 03:11

For the first time I meet someone, we talk about name, age and university where we studying

Submitted by nikta on Sat, 06/11/2021 - 08:05

when I meet new people, I'm be polite and ask them about their personality. and I try be friend with them especially if they're like me.

Submitted by ANOUAR on Fri, 05/11/2021 - 12:04

When I meet people for the first time, I usually ask them about their name and some other stuff depending on the situation and the circumstances where we've been meet.

Submitted by LamVanPhuong on Thu, 04/11/2021 - 14:25

when i meet a new friend, i usually talk about their hometown, age, job,...

Submitted by metacaro90 on Sat, 30/10/2021 - 19:44

I get used to be kind with people I don't know, so, I ask them about their lifes, where they come from?, what's they favourite music and what kind of hobbies they practice and so on.

Submitted by KyawMinThu on Sun, 24/10/2021 - 11:12

When I meet people for the first time, firstly,I introduce myself and I said nice to meet them . Then asking about their jobs , education, abilities and more.

Submitted by vuhoap on Sun, 17/10/2021 - 02:15

When I meet people for the first time, I usually talk about
greetings, basic personal information or hobby to find the same point for continuing the conversation.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Mon, 04/10/2021 - 11:00

Whenever I meet new people I talked about name, work, from which place, nice to meet you and other things
First expression is the last expression.

Submitted by bassamlkhtb90 on Thu, 30/09/2021 - 07:22

How can I download this track?

Hello bassamlkhtb90,
If you are using a computer, do a right-click on top of the audio player and then choose the option 'Save as' and you should be able to download it. If you're using a tablet or a phone, I imagine you can also download it, but how you do that depends on what kind of operating system you have.
Best wishes,

Submitted by Montaneda on Thu, 23/09/2021 - 04:19

When I meet people for fist time, introduce myself and I like to be friendly.

Submitted by Andrea Valencia on Sat, 03/07/2021 - 14:55

I usually talk about my work and studies, I talk about my city and hobbies as well.

Submitted by saeedebrahimip on Tue, 15/06/2021 - 11:39

I try start a conversation with Hiiiiiiii, how are you?

Submitted by Munirah Saad 20 on Mon, 24/05/2021 - 10:10

I talk about the place where we are or common topic like our doctor and services if we are at hospital , I usually talkative woman so I try to find topics for talking with anew people .

Submitted by Marce-English on Sun, 23/05/2021 - 16:23

The first time I meet someone at work, I try to be friendly and help them in everything they need.

Submitted by Samqaid on Wed, 12/05/2021 - 22:30

when i meet the people for the first time, i introduce myself and make a friendship with them. i take a first impression about them. i notice if he is good, i will deep and get in contact with him continually. or not i will stay a normal relationship with them. I love to create a close relationship with people who are sincere and honest

Submitted by DarwinM on Wed, 07/04/2021 - 04:06

When I meet people for the first time, I usually introduce myself. Then, I ask them their name and start to talk about hobbies and finally other topics.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Tue, 06/04/2021 - 04:22

When I meet new people first introduce myself then I ask what's your name, what do you do, where are you from and more talk about country culture custom and other many things

Submitted by victor.07 on Mon, 05/04/2021 - 22:27

When I meet people for the first time I talk about hobbies and music

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Thu, 01/04/2021 - 12:49

Background, weather, interest.... ;)

Submitted by Nader Ahmed on Wed, 31/03/2021 - 14:28

When I meet people for the first time, I starting by introducing myself and ask them to introduce themselves, after that, we can talk about our works.

Submitted by Deyse Pinheiro… on Tue, 30/03/2021 - 19:23

When I don't know the person, I am quiet. But as I meet this person, I start to talk more.

Submitted by tvkien on Sat, 27/03/2021 - 09:04

I usually start a conversation with new one by introduce myself first, and then ask he/she name, what's study or work, something like that. If he/she is friendly, we will talk whatever

Submitted by SaraMessa on Wed, 24/03/2021 - 18:05

I'm very shy, so when I meet new people, I don't speak a lot. Usually I introduce my self, I speak about my job and my hobbies. Then I ask something about him/her.

Submitted by sherzad on Tue, 23/03/2021 - 08:10

I say: Hi, I'm Sherzad, nice to meet you. where are you from? what do you do? tell me more about you mother tongue.

Submitted by Veronikka on Sun, 21/03/2021 - 18:49

When I meet people for the first time, I introduce myself and then ask them for their names, work area, last job or place of work. And I offer my help in case you need it.

Submitted by TIa vinaka on Sun, 14/03/2021 - 03:12

Meeting people for the first time, What I talk about is it depends on where I meet the person. I try to find some common things if I want to make a good relationship with them. But normally I start with greetings and ask their names. then occupation, which country their from, where they live, something like that.
Hi, I am Mikhail. Good answer. I am learning English like you) I want find new people for communication and learn more fast. I am economist for oil company. I like bicycle, chess, books and many things. If you want communication too, plz send me mail to **********@*****.com Goodbye)

Hi MikhailZatopliaev,

Unfortunately, sharing personal contact details is not allowed in our House Rules. But you can practise conversation by writing comments and replies here on this site :)

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Submitted by Giuliana on Tue, 09/03/2021 - 16:42

I usually when i meet a new person I ask him/her what his name is, where he/ she from, how old are you, if she or he study and what's study or work and after i talk whatever

Submitted by mirtha on Tue, 09/03/2021 - 16:18

When I meet people for the first time I introduce myself and ask questions about work, studies, family and hobbies.

Submitted by RicardoRodrigu… on Fri, 05/03/2021 - 04:51

when I meet news people the first that I say. hello, are you ok?. Whats your name? it's nice to meet you.

Submitted by Majidaa909 on Thu, 25/02/2021 - 14:24

I usually first ask is name and whrer is working .

Submitted by MilGer on Sat, 20/02/2021 - 11:23

When I meet people I say 'Hi'

Submitted by Turko on Tue, 16/02/2021 - 17:35

when i meet with new one for the first time i try to seem helpful and friendly. if i feel closely i make a joke after i ask some question like what do you do? and anything and i think that is beautiful

Submitted by Brenda Patrici… on Mon, 15/02/2021 - 15:58

When I meet people for the first time, I don't talk to them much, but I sometimes say 'beautiful day' or 'it's cold' and I would rather talk about them than myself.

Submitted by Nasywa Shiyami… on Mon, 15/02/2021 - 03:17

When i meet new people for the first time i say greeting and introduce myself first, and usually i ask about they name, what name that i have use to call them, what they do (i mean they a student or worker), where they come, what they do in the place we meet, ask with whom they go and ended by general conversations but depends whom i meet and talk with.

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Sun, 14/02/2021 - 13:34

Weather. (⊹^◡^)ノo.♡゚。* Beautiful day, isn't it? ~*。♡

Submitted by Angel Ramirez on Sun, 14/02/2021 - 02:35

When I meet people for the first time, I ask questions about hobbies, interests, musical tastes, studies, work, partners, etc.

Submitted by Brona on Fri, 12/02/2021 - 17:27

Generally, I would introduce myself and then ask him or her name. And then ask how is their day been so far , talk about the weather etc. I am not much of a talker and so I would let the other person speak. And then in between I would have few inputs of mine to put in.

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Wed, 10/02/2021 - 14:45

I usually start with greeting. ;)

Submitted by ajoomy1 on Wed, 10/02/2021 - 10:47

I talk to them in general

Submitted by Shreya chakma on Mon, 08/02/2021 - 10:25

When I meet people for the first time, First let's get acquainted. Then I want to know about them and want to know where they live and what they do.

Submitted by Rao786 on Fri, 22/01/2021 - 07:37

Hi British council! I think all comments are useful or helpful for all beginners. When I Frist meet with my friends I try to make /offers a joke, make a group friend laugh and enjoy to my meeting and then ask him how are you? Studies and so alot thing about him.

Submitted by Leila77 on Thu, 21/01/2021 - 11:06

When I meet people for the first time I usually introduce myself and we talk about our job and our studies.