Meeting other students

Listen to a group of new students meeting for the first time to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Teacher: So, now you've got the important information, it's time to meet each other. Everyone turn to the people next to you and introduce yourselves.

Cara: So, hi. I'm Cara. And you are?

Robert: Robert.

Selim: Selim.

Cara: Nice to meet you!

Robert and Selim: You too.

Robert: Nice accent. Where are you from?

Cara: I'm from Glasgow.

Robert: Oh, really? My mum's from near Glasgow, so I'm half Scottish.

Cara: Cool. Do you live in Scotland?

Robert: No, we live in England, near Manchester. My dad's from there. What about you, Selim?

Selim: I'm from Leeds originally but I grew up near London.

Cara: Are you both doing history on its own?

Selim: No. I'm doing history and German.

Robert: I'm doing it with maths, actually.

Selim: History and maths. That's different!

Robert: Yeah, I couldn't decide between arts and sciences. Maths doesn't help with remembering dates, though! And you?

Cara: I'm doing history and French.

Selim: I wanted to do French but German was easier, so I took that.

Cara: German is so hard!

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

A1 English level (elementary)
Profile picture for user teddysl

Submitted by teddysl on Sun, 30/06/2019 - 03:53

i'm always with information technology but i don't like exams!
Profile picture for user TP

Submitted by TP on Sun, 30/06/2019 - 03:50

I like to study languages. English is my favourite. However, I have learned Japanese and Hindi. Learning a language gives you the opportunity to explore many other things related with it. Apart from that, like I like history and astronomy.

Submitted by Kavi on Sun, 30/06/2019 - 03:48

I like to study account subject.It's very easy to me.

Submitted by abdalhameed on Fri, 14/06/2019 - 13:16

I finished medicine 5 months ago, I love this subject.

Submitted by Setareh on Sun, 09/06/2019 - 05:04

I like to study math and i studied it;

Submitted by Agata2021 on Mon, 03/06/2019 - 14:00

I finished psychology. I want to become psychoterapist and work in mental hospital.

Submitted by Omran on Mon, 27/05/2019 - 00:56

Actually from again i like to study Chemistry and math i saw it easy when you love it because you will study it more and more which mean that will make you better, I hope i find the these two subjects in my future specialization.

Submitted by HamidrezaNazem on Thu, 23/05/2019 - 13:24

Actually, I like to continue my education on Electronics Engineering and especially in Hardware designing. I hold a bachelor of Science in Electronics Engineering and I'm living in Denmark right now. If can I get IELTS, I can educate in Master of Science and maybe in future Ph.D.

Submitted by Christopher Mi… on Sun, 05/05/2019 - 05:08

Hello Britishcouncil.org, when I do the exercise with task 1. I can not put right phrases in a group, I can put one phrase in a group and I can not finish this task. please help me, thanks
Hello Christopher, The task uses a click-click mechanism rather than drag and drop. Click on the item, then click on the group to add it. To add a second item, follow the same procedure but be careful to click on the group title (it will probably be a darker colour). If you click on an existing item then you will swap it out; if you click on the group title then you will add a new item. ~ Peter The LearnEnglish Team
Profile picture for user PHẠM THỊ LUẬN

Submitted by PHẠM THỊ LUẬN on Thu, 18/04/2019 - 06:48

I studied physics pedagogy. Now I am a physics teacher in a high school in Vietnam. I love my students and my colleagues. The job requires me to be patients and constantly learn to improve myself.

Submitted by César Árraga on Thu, 18/04/2019 - 02:17

I prefer subjects related to numbers to calculate, for example: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, etc. Because since I was a child I really loved it and I got good grades on those courses.
Profile picture for user Liz

Submitted by Liz on Wed, 10/04/2019 - 20:05

I love learning languages, I'm learning English and German and my favourites subjects were literature, history and foreing languages when I were student. Nowadays I really want to emprove my English .

Submitted by 赵文文 on Wed, 10/04/2019 - 10:10

I had graduated for many years, with a bachelor degree of Computer Science and Technology. All the jobs I have done are relating to that.

Submitted by cittàutopica on Tue, 09/04/2019 - 18:17

I studied at a classical high school (= secondary school focusing on humanities) and after high school diploma I graduated in Philosophy.
Profile picture for user Stanley Alvarez

Submitted by Stanley Alvarez on Mon, 08/04/2019 - 16:34

I like to study statistics and math, but in my free time I study English and French too.
Profile picture for user mehrazin

Submitted by mehrazin on Fri, 05/04/2019 - 06:42

I am doing geography, GEOLOGY AND ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE. I am doing them with English. I believe that fluency in English is one of the parameters of the international literacy . Actually the ability to READ, WRITE, and COMMUNICATE connects people and empowers them to achieve things they never thought possible. The British council provides us the best and perfect knowledge of English. I really appreciate it.
Profile picture for user mtalebi

Submitted by mtalebi on Wed, 03/04/2019 - 08:03

I have studied computer science. I like it. We can find lots of jobs.