A job interview

Listen to the job interview to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Interviewer: Hello, Maria. Thanks for coming in for the interview.

Maria: It's my pleasure. Thanks for inviting me.

Interviewer: Well, as you know, the company has been expanding and we have an opening in our HR department. We're creating a new role for someone to lead our training and development within the company.

Maria: Yes, I very much think that my skills and experience are a good fit for what you're looking for.

Interviewer: That sounds great. So, your CV looks strong, though it would be good if you could give us an overview, in your own words, of what you've been doing over the past four years or so.

Maria: Well, in my first job, four years ago, I was working for a small HR services provider which offered HR services, including L&D, to corporate clients.

Interviewer: OK, so it was only B2B?

Maria: Yes, we only offered services to other companies, not B2C.

Interviewer: Right, and it says here you then left that company about three years ago.

Maria: Yes, that's right. I was looking for a little more stability and also to be part of a larger organisation. So I joined a company with around one hundred staff and a small HR team. As there are only a few of us, we each deal with a range of HR topics. In addition to payroll, one of the areas I was responsible for was learning and development.

Interviewer: I see. And, so why do you want to change jobs now?

Maria: Well, I very much like the L&D side of my role and I've always had particularly good feedback for my work in this area. I believe I excel in that field. So, I'm looking to specialise, and as your company has around 2,000 people, right …?

Interviewer: Yes, that's right.

Maria: Well, an organisation of this size would give me the scope to specialise in L&D. I'm also a big follower of your brand and feel fully aligned with your image and values.

Interviewer: Well, that all sounds good. And I can see you have an L&D qualification.

Maria: Yes, I got a diploma two years ago. I am also currently working on a further diploma in psychology, with a specific focus on learning and performance management.

Interviewer: Very good. Well, it looks like you have the qualifications and experience we're looking for. What do you think will be the main challenges of coming to a much larger company?

Maria: I can see that it might be perceived as a weakness to not have experience in an organisation of this size, though I see that it could also be a benefit. I won't be bringing too many preconceived and possibly inflexible ideas with me to the role.

Interviewer: Yes, that would be a good thing.

Maria: Also, I'm used to taking a very personal approach to employee development. I realise that such an approach with 2,000 staff members will have to happen in a different way, but I bring many ideas with me that can be replicated on a larger scale.

Interviewer: I see what you mean. Right, so, do you have any questions for me?

Maria: Um, I think we've covered many of the areas I had wanted to address. I have two quick questions though.

Interviewer: Go on.

Maria: Who would I mostly work with on a daily basis?

Interviewer: Well, there's the HR manager who you would report to. And then the HR team, which currently has six people in it. There's usually an intern or two who you can get some support from also.

Maria: OK. Thanks. That's all really clear. And my other question is how performance in this role will be measured. What does success look like?

Interviewer: That's a good question. As you know, we have a performance management system in place, and from that we have identified some learning and development needs within the organisation. But we haven't devised a strategy. Your role would be to devise and then successfully implement this strategy.

Maria: Thank you. That sounds interesting.

Interviewer: Great. So, thanks again for coming in today. We'll be discussing all candidates next week and then I'll get back to you by the end of next week to let you know the outcome.

Maria: Thank you for your time. I'd welcome the opportunity to continue discussing this role with you.

Submitted by RuthYong on Thu, 14/10/2021 - 08:37

Before I attend any job interview, I usually prepare by going through the company's history, what they do, and about the job scope. I'll also prepare how to answer questions to introduce myself.

Submitted by NicolasBuff on Sun, 10/10/2021 - 21:20

Well, before going to an interview, I like going over my CV in order to check out if anything is missing on it.. I also search for the most commom questions asked on an interview on the internet, so I can practice my answers before. I always get in early for my interviews.

Submitted by Jamil Harumi on Wed, 01/09/2021 - 20:49

Since the pandemic began, many interviews have happened remotely. It would be a nice idea if you could show us how to ace those job interviews!

Hello Jamil Harumi,

We hosted a live event in Facebook in February on the topic of job interviews. I haven't seen the recording in quite a while now, but I'm pretty sure that the topic of online interviews was covered. Please have a look and let us know if you found it useful!

Submitted by Maitane on Mon, 23/08/2021 - 12:59

I usually prepare the content of my CV, to be able to explain orally to the interviewer. Also, I read about the company before the interview.

Submitted by ahmedengland on Fri, 02/07/2021 - 01:35

i think this is fantastistic interview we can learn it through and have knowlodge how touch with in itnterview thanks britsh council

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Mon, 26/04/2021 - 10:51

If you're going to give interview in any company then I give you some tips for crack interview. Firstly you would read your CV. Secondly why are you left company? learn about past experience and open mind with positive thinking. Thirdly what's your area to work, knowledge about your area and work Fourthly you should learn about company, what's related to company and then company's past, present and aim Fifthly what's could you able to contribute in company's development.

Submitted by nikoslado on Wed, 24/03/2021 - 10:00

Dear Team, I've already signed up for the ''self-access courses'', with a 5,99 per month payment, but I can't know how to have access to this course, there isn't any way to see this specific stuff, but only a description and some information about it. Additionally, there isn't any possibility for direct contact as, for example, we can have with your Team. Do you know, how this all works, or could you give any advice about it? Thankful to all of you, Nikos

Hi nikoslado,

Do you see a 'My Coursework' button near the British Council logo at top of the page? If you click on that, and then 'Find a course', you'll see the list of courses to choose from. Then, clicking 'Start' will enrol you on a course.

If you encounter any problems, there is a 'Help' button in the bottom-right corner.

I hope that helps! Thanks for signing up, and we hope you enjoy the content.

Jonathan

Submitted by El Cuy Mágico on Tue, 09/02/2021 - 20:14

Well, before an interview I try to read as much as I can about the company, you know the company’s history, the values, mission and so on. Then I watch some videos about tips or common questions in works interview. And as I feel nervous at the very moment before an interview I try to be early then I use to read my CV and practice some answers. I feel fully comfortable following this steps.

Submitted by Sam_Xavier on Fri, 22/01/2021 - 10:51

Hi, I got a bit confused with the second question. The question asks "Maria has been in her current job for"?. In the recording, Maria said she got her first job 4years ago and the interviewer affirms she left her first job 3 years ago. Doesn't that mean she has been in that job for one year? Please I need some clarifications. Thanks.

Submitted by Kirk on Fri, 22/01/2021 - 13:43

In reply to by Sam_Xavier

Hello Sam_Xavier,

I can see how could be confusing, but it's correct. Let's say that this interview happened now in 2021. Maria started working in her old job 4 years ago (2017). Then, 3 years ago (2018), she left her old job for her current job. She is still working in that current job, and has been working there for 3 years.

Does that make sense?

Submitted by Hennadii on Wed, 13/01/2021 - 09:48

How to prepare for an interview? Here are some tips from me. Firstly, I reread my CV to recall what I've written there)) Then, I search on the Internet all available information about my target company. Of course, I try to find some if I know someone in that company to get useful information about who will interview me, how to behave and what salary to ask. Obviously, I try to predict future questions about my experience, the reason for job changing and so. It's a good point to refresh your language skills if the position demands this knowledge. Maybe read some articles about job interview on foreign language on the Internet etc. I always come to the interview place early to get some time to relax, calm down stress and rise my concentration and fighting spirit.

Submitted by sonlenfq on Wed, 06/01/2021 - 01:35

Before the interview, I'm always trying to remember knowlege. and research about a company I apply to.

Submitted by Ilenias on Sun, 03/01/2021 - 14:54

Before a job interview, I always collect information about the company, in particular, its core mission, values, and the projects they are currently working on. Sometimes I also collect information about the HR manager of the company on LinkedIn to find out if we share common interests or values.

Submitted by jogrereco on Fri, 01/01/2021 - 15:14

This material is an excellent resource to teach and learn English. Thanks British Council.

Hello jogrereco,

Thanks for letting us know -- we're glad you find it useful!

Best wishes,

Submitted by Lola Bernal on Sun, 27/12/2020 - 11:35

I read about the company and try to learn as much as I can about the foundations and evolution. I look for companies whose values are aligned with my own so I place importance on the scanning process.

Submitted by bottom_gay on Mon, 21/12/2020 - 15:41

Well, it's very interesting to have this kinda listening practice. It's hard yet chalenging. I've never been asked that kind of questions in my interview experience.

Submitted by Suane Alves on Thu, 17/12/2020 - 17:40

If I had an interview, I would be very nervous and try to have some answers already done. I will see videos and ask other peoples what is the principal questions in an interview for me to be prepared.

Submitted by Enrique Rangel on Sat, 12/12/2020 - 01:06

For an interview... well normally I study a little about the company, products, services, values. After that I prepare my summary and talk with my self in order to ask me questions and hear my own answers.

Submitted by javibuendi on Wed, 02/12/2020 - 11:19

I don´t prepare for an interview at all. I just let the things flow naturally, allowing the interviewer to know me with no filters. Besides, I don´t like to wear stylish clothes in the interview. I don´t usually dress that way in my normal life, so I would be projecting a false image of me, when I think the main purpose of this kind of appointments is to let people know you the best. Cheers from Madrid.

Submitted by DJ Singh on Wed, 02/12/2020 - 10:18

I have been to 3-4 interviews till now and I felt those were much easier they just ask me some personal and work-related questions which I hadn't to prepare but I did for a safer side. Apart from this, I didn't prepare much because I know the culture of my industry and they just need people so they just ask as little as one can reply easily.

Submitted by AprilApple on Wed, 28/10/2020 - 07:25

I read more about the company and the role that I applied for to prepare for my interview. However, currently I am still unsuccessful yet. I find that this audio of interview is very useful which it helps me learn how to overcome questions like What's you Strength and Weaknesses? Why are you changing your current job? etc. I will take this conversation as a mold for answering such questions in my next interview.

Hi Majdah,

Click the right mouse button on the grey audio player (or long press, if you're using a phone or tablet). Then choose the 'Save audio as...' option. That should do it! Let us know if it works.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Submitted by bottom_gay on Mon, 21/12/2020 - 15:43

In reply to by Jonathan R

Thank you. You're really helpful.

Submitted by Abdulhadi94 on Tue, 20/10/2020 - 10:57

How do you prepare for an interview? If i have an interview most likely i would prepare at least 3 days before the appointment. In other words , seeking as much as i can about the company. For instance , when the company had started their work also how many employers so far work at the company , read a little bit about what they have done in the past and what are the need to accomplish in the future . After that when the day comes i will try to be relax so that could lead to hire me for the specific job otherwise if i walk in with some stress the decision of accepting me is low .

Submitted by StephBuffay on Wed, 07/10/2020 - 19:48

Hey there, I'm having trouble with being able to listen to the audios. They don't seem to upload so I can listen to them. Maybe you can help me with that. Many thanks

Hi StephBuffay,

I've checked the page and the audio seems to be working fine, so it is probably a local problem. Some mobile devices have trouble with certain types of multimedia, so if you're using a phone or table to access the page it might be worth trying to use another device such as a laptop or desktop computer to see if that solves the problem. You might also check the security settings on your device to see if any media types are blocked.

Submitted by FRANK BOTELHO on Tue, 08/09/2020 - 14:41

I'm getting better at my skills. Tks.

Submitted by Rashy on Fri, 28/08/2020 - 08:16

This part is very hard for me to understand I could do with some help
Hello Rashy This page is C1 Advanced level which is the most difficult level we have on the site. Have you tried the B1 Intermediate and B2 Upper Intermediate listenings? It could be a good idea to try those first and slowly build up to Advanced. If want to keep working at C1 level, have you tried reading the transcript as you listen? Good luck and let us know how it goes! Best wishes Jo LearnEnglish Team
Thanks for your reply I understand the other sanctions I was on begginers level when I started this course but in this sanctions I don't understand meaning of some words finds very difficult to understand and feel boring as well repeating the process hope to hear from you soon

Hello Rashy,

I would recommend the same thing as Jo: try a section with a lower level. You should be able to find the meanings of most words and phrases on this page in any good online dictionary such as the Cambridge Dictionary.

If there is a specific word or phrase or two that you can't find in the dictionary, we're happy to help, but please try the dictionary first.

Submitted by Aghaton on Mon, 24/08/2020 - 12:52

Well, this is interesting .as on my side, I just have to get to know the company well before the appointment.lucky to me this always serves me a lot .plus logical questions that we all know . But I think getting to know the company in detail prior to the interview appointment day has been a success story as long as I can say in my life .Thank you team

Submitted by Babatunde on Sun, 26/07/2020 - 09:53

This site has assisted me a lot since I joined it. Thanks for this opportunity given to people to develop themselves.

Hello Babatunde,

We are very pleased to hear this! Thanks for letting us know and keep up the good work.

Submitted by Ziya_Alishanli on Sun, 28/06/2020 - 15:10

Till today I have got the 2 real and serious interviews, first in 2018 and the second one in 2019. Both of them were applying as a teacher to the online schools. Before my first interview I had been sent the instructions on how to get prepared, because actually that was not a usual interview - I must have prepared a lesson and led it. So, I read instructions and conditional, then I prepared the lesson, both interviews were successful.

Submitted by Saldave_2801 on Fri, 26/06/2020 - 00:23

There are several activities postulants could do to ensure good performance in an interview. Personally I undertake the followings Practising by recording myself - Improve intonation, gestures and posture. Revising company website - get a review m whose will be your potential new employer. planning your commute - head off to be rushing And above all, feeling relaxed and knowledging the interviewer is another individual like you.

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Mon, 25/05/2020 - 19:57

I can prepare for an interview by following these steps below: - Getting detailed information about the interview process such as date, venue, time and duration. - Obtaining information on modalities and personnel to meet at the venue. - Having insights about the firm's vision, mission and objective. - Preparation to answer questions pertaining to job history, experience, roles, skills in relation to how it can improves prospect on the new job.

Submitted by yoyoraw on Mon, 04/05/2020 - 22:01

I will probably make sure of preparing a good CV, and having the complete knowledge about the company, and being certain about whether I could manage to be in the work or not .

Submitted by Diegoratti90 on Sun, 19/04/2020 - 10:58

Hi, Being called for a job interview it means you would have successfully passed through the first Resume selection. In order to get a notice at the first step, I suggest revising your Cv and preparing a tailor-made motivation letter for the specific job you are applying for. Indeed, HR would probably receive hundreds for applications and it is important he will be thrilled by your presentation. Then, when he will demand your presence for a job meeting it is important to impress a positive impact in his/her mind. The first impression is the most important one during a job selection. How you look like, your appearance, your confidence in speaking, soft skills and motivations would determine the success of your meeting. Finally, it's important both of the parts, the employer and the employee get agreed on the payment and benefits of the contract.

Submitted by Justino Isaias… on Sat, 09/05/2020 - 06:42

In reply to by Diegoratti90

Hello, Mr. Diego. I like your comment.

Submitted by S Kuje on Sun, 19/04/2020 - 07:05

To prepare for an interview 1. Research about the company if possible the HR person aswell. 2. Prepare by knowing more about the job description or roles. 3. Be mentally sound and look sharp 4. Dress decently 5. Speak with confidence and maintain a good body language

Submitted by Eduardo Lugo on Mon, 13/04/2020 - 22:21

I know this is an instance, but the girl in the interview got excellent performance, It would be awesome if I could to unfolde like this. She has the skills and the preparation for the situation moreover she could to get a perffect speech. That was awesome.

Submitted by armando on Mon, 24/02/2020 - 06:04

Well, first I look for forward information about the company, what they do? since when are they operative? how many workers they have? , Second I prepare myself talking about me and answer posible question in loud.

Submitted by bval on Wed, 22/01/2020 - 09:23

First thing I would do is look at the job offer in detail, skills, knowledge and titles that are mandatory for the candidate. Secondly I would go onto the company’s website to do a search of relevant information about their characteristics, achievements and philosophy. Finally I would read over and update my CV and Cover letter to be prepared for possible interview questions.

Submitted by John Bermejo on Tue, 07/01/2020 - 01:57

First, I wonder and solve any possible questions to be asked during the interview. I need to get dressed for success. Then, it is necessary to find out about the company I want to apply to. Then, it is a good idea to prepare suitable clothes, and keep the best attitude for the occasion. Finally, I must sleep well to wake up early and arrive on time.

Submitted by Ata sadri on Mon, 30/12/2019 - 10:42

Some people in the world think that to prepare an interview is one of the most important requires to employe but others disagree. In my estimation, preparing for an interview is very helpful to accept in every company. The first of all, after my graduation from university, I prepared my self for an interview in the water office. This situation gave me stress, so I decided to improve self- confidence. Before the interview, I found many qualifications to improve any aspects of myself.one of the most important aspects is that everyone should pay attention to styles. For instance, in my interview in the water office, the interviewer likes my diplomat suit; because he believes that engineers in any condition should keep their styles; additionally, he told me: first of all every man, in construction area, chooses your personality from your style and decides that what kind of meritorious manners is better for you. Thus, I could attract his positive ideas about my style. The second, I would like to illustrate is that Before the interview I found any questions from youtube such as; What's your idea about the job? , What's your experience? and How many skills in the computer area? etc. So, when I had free time, I only practiced these questions. they were very useful for me because I could answer correctly for the interviewer. For those aforementioned reasons, If anyone has an important interview, he should prepare himself for any questions and conditions. In my perspective, when everyone has an interview, appreciate any time to win before losing them.