Creating a study group

Listen to the conversation about creating a study group to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Ali: Hey, you guys, I've been looking for you. I've got an idea – a study group. What do you think? Are you interested?

Dina: Yes! I need a study group, in a big way.

Bea: Me too.

Ali: Do you think we have enough people here for a study group? I mean, there are only four of us …

Bea: Sorry. Three of us. Chris can't do study group. Right, Chris?

Chris: Yeah, there's no way I can do a study group. I have an assignment and then I'm too busy. But I'll stay for this first meeting.

Ali: Should we try and get another group together with us for this?

Bea: No, I don't think so. I think three is fine. Ideal size, really.

Dina: Me too.

Ali: OK, three people then. Four people for the first meeting. What next?

Bea: What about a meeting place? We can't meet here in the library …

Ali: It's not too bad, especially if those other people would go away.

Bea: But we can't exactly ask them to leave, and people might get annoyed with us talking.

Dina: Can I say something here?

Ali: Sure, go ahead.

Dina: There's a study hall next to the cafeteria. It's almost always empty. Could we meet there?

Ali: A study hall?! Who knew? Well, it sounds good to me.

Bea: Yeah. I've never been there but …

Ali: So, we ought to decide how long for and how often.

Dina: I read somewhere that you should make the meeting at the same time each week. Like a seminar. That way we'd take it more seriously.

Bea: We may as well make it for this time since we're all here. Is this time OK?

Dina: Works for me.

Ali: Me too.

Chris: Hang on just a minute. I know I'm not going to be in this group, but aren't we supposed to have a seminar at this time every other week?

Dina: Umm, no.

Bea: Thursday, no?

Ali: No, that's on Thursday.

Chris: Sorry. Forget I said anything.

Ali: Don't worry about it.

Bea: So everyone agrees that this time is fine? Every week?

Ali: How long should we make it?

Bea: An hour?

Dina: Could we find a way of making it two hours?

Ali: Two hours seems a bit like … too much. To start with then?

Bea: Ninety minutes? Compromise?

Ali: Is that OK with you, Dina?

Dina: Fine by me.

Ali: OK, so I guess all we have left to decide is exactly what we'll do when we meet. The final exam is a way off. I guess we could review our notes, or practise learning things by heart.

Dina: I have a list of dos and don'ts actually that I got online. I could be a moderator, and we could use the ideas as a starting point …

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

B2 English level (upper intermediate)

Hello yoyoraw

I'm afraid we don't correct users' texts. If you have a question about a specific word or part of a sentence, we're happy to help you with that.

But I can say that your text is quite clear and the only error I spotted was 'its', which should be 'it's'.

All the best

Submitted by yoyoraw on Sun, 05/04/2020 - 17:24

Actually no i have not created a study group before. But, i would like to be in a group one day, because i feel its a useful way of studying. Plus, its more fun to study with a group than being alone .

Submitted by Bunga on Fri, 03/04/2020 - 10:29

I've never created group study but i think it's a great way to motivate each other and to make us more smart. My tips : - for making group study four or five people is enough because more than 5 become more crowd and hard to get focus on. - Consistent, if we had make a deal to make group discussion then we decide the day and time we will meet. Be consistent to do the group discussion. Sometimes only on the beginning we have to do then later become stuck and finish.

Submitted by armando on Tue, 04/02/2020 - 06:56

Hello, I haven't created a study group, not a stric group but I had been in a lot of group depending of the assignment and if we want to get a higher degree we used to have meetings in differents places. A few years ago we didn't have cellphone's and we get focused on what we had to do, not as these days how Mujtabaaman says, were all the students have mobile cellphone's and they get easily distracted

Submitted by clramosm on Sat, 01/02/2020 - 00:39

A study group is a good idea, due to students may share ideas and improve their knowledge about different study subjects. When I was student, I created a study group with my classmates. We usually met on Monday to organize activities and homework. However, each member had other duties as sport or elective classes, for that, always someone did not attend to the meeting. The study group helped me to understand other point of view and share ideas, notes and prepare exams. I had a good experience with my study group, despite we did not regularly get together.

Submitted by Mujtabaaman on Mon, 13/01/2020 - 07:31

No, I didn't. But I study sometimes with my friends, so I have some experience. Tip number one : try to have few people in the group, because if there were too many students in the group, it will be almost impossible to study seriously, and it will be like hanging out with your friends rather than making a studying group. Tip number two : take you phones away, because it will only disturb from studying, so just put it away or don't use it. Tip number three : take breaks, because studying for long continuous hours is unprodective.

Hello r0000ma

That is grammatically correct, though I would separate it into two sentences (after the word 'people').

All the best

Submitted by cs on Fri, 06/12/2019 - 21:25

I never created a study group, or maybe not one rigid/strict like the study group created in the audio, with fixed day and time. I had a group of friends that I enjoyed to study with, but we didn't have a schedule, sometimes we meet in the library or the someone's house.
Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Submitted by Magedelabd on Wed, 13/11/2019 - 19:26

I never created a study group . because I think it losses my time .
Profile picture for user Steve Zarv

Submitted by Steve Zarv on Mon, 07/10/2019 - 17:12

When it comes to creating a study group one of the most common problems you could have is the engagement, most of the times because people, in this kind of instances, often don't set their education before their relationships, and end up creating the group with people who they are supposed to amuse with, clearly it is not always like that, however, assessing the engagement of the possible members in advance is always worth it. Regarding to the place and the time to held it, is a good option doing it after finishing the classes so that you can go over and feedback the topics of the day in a clear way,if by any chance it is not possible you may set your house as the place of meeting, this could give you the upper hand to take over the leadership, which by the way, allows you to have a wider prospect regarding to the duties of the group according to the needs.

Submitted by nikisyazwani on Wed, 02/10/2019 - 17:12

I have completed the lesson for 'Creating a Study Group'. The level chose is Upper Intermediate B2.

Submitted by starfish2019 on Tue, 10/09/2019 - 12:18

Have you ever created a study group? What are your tips? Yes, I had created a study group which was long time ago, for our I.T product presentation group assignment. That time I took the leader role to organize my study group, each member had to perform their role responsibly and we did our studies in college's library. We discussed between members, about our 3-In-1 PSF(Printer, Scanner and Fax) integrated machine into one desk machine. Each member needed to study their relevant aspect topic, which they were going to talk about in their presentation part. For example, I started with the introduction and another member took over the middle part of the topic and so on. Then later at the end, we all 3 together concluded the presentation properly and smoothly. So My Tips are that each member need to study their relevant part well and properly, in order to combine all the studied parts into one great assignment.

Submitted by Boricio on Thu, 08/08/2019 - 06:37

I created a study group when i was student, more precisely in second year of university. I think that a study group must be heterogeneous, everyone has to have a particular strength. The group should not be too large, and it must have a moderator, or a leader who can able to identify and exploit (for the benefit of the group) as possible as the strength of each others.

Submitted by nikoslado on Sat, 22/06/2019 - 19:45

Dear Team, I am referring to a piece from the dialogue and I beg you, tell me, what happens with the seminar on Thursday.Bea says ''Thursday, no'' and Ali says ''that's on Thursday''.Finally, I dont know if there is a seminar or not on Thursday(s). Ever grateful, nikoslado.

Hello nikoslado

When Bea says 'Thursday, no?', what I think she means is '[The seminar is on] Thursday, no?', in other words, 'The seminar is on Thursday (not today), right?' -- 'no' is a common question tag, though I can see how that it can be a little confusing here.

So everyone except Chris says the seminar is on Thursday, not the day (whatever it is) they are talking on.

Does that make sense?

Thanks for your very careful reading of our exercises and texts!

All the best

Submitted by Evgeny N on Fri, 14/06/2019 - 09:52

Dear teachers! Please explain to me how many ways are existing to say that something happens in two weeks (or another time intervals)? In this exercise I found expression: every other week

Hello Evgeny N

There are quite a lot of time expressions in English (or any language for that matter)! You can find lots of useful lists by doing an internet search for something like 'time expressions in English'.

Please note that 'meet every other week' means they will meet one week, then not meet the following week, then meet again the week after that, and so on. If we 'meet in two weeks' that means we meet two weeks from now. Perhaps then we will meet again two weeks after that, but it isn't clear from just 'meet in two weeks' -- you'd have to say 'meet every two weeks' to say that.

You could also say 'meet fornightly' (or 'meet every fortnight'), 'biweekly' or 'bimonthly', but please note that these last two words are ambiguous, since they both have two quite different meanings. They are also much less common than 'every two weeks' or 'fortnightly'.

Hope this helps.

All the best

Profile picture for user arradfar

Submitted by arradfar on Tue, 23/04/2019 - 21:03

Hi I really can not understand this phrase : "The final exam is a way off." and also the test in task 1 for the meaning of that : 'isn't for some time.' , would you please let me know a meaning of that!
Profile picture for user Peter M.

Submitted by Peter M. on Wed, 24/04/2019 - 06:20

In reply to by arradfar

Hello arradfar, The phrase 'a way off' and 'not for some time' both mean that something is not close. These phrases refer to time. You can also use 'a way off' to refer to something not being close in terms of distance. ~ Peter The LearnEnglish Team