Leaving a message

Listen to someone leaving a message to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Jane: Hello, this is the sales department. Jane Solomon speaking.

Peter: Hello, is Maria Fernandez there, please?

Jane: No, I'm sorry. She's not in the office at the moment. She's on her lunch break.

Peter: Oh. Could you take a message, please? Could you tell her that Peter Griffin called?

Jane: Sure. Could you give me your number?

Peter: It's 0-7-4-6-0 double 9-0-1 double 8.

Jane: Thanks. That's 0-7-4-6-0 2-9-0-1-2-8.

Peter: Sorry, no. It's 0-7-4-6-0 9-9-0-1-8-8.

Jane: 9-9-0-1-8-8.

Peter: Yes. Please ask her to call me back, and tell her it's about the PXO project. I need the new project figures.

Jane: The PXO project. Right. I'll give her your message when she comes back to the office.

Peter: Thank you. In case I'm in a meeting when she calls back, can I give you my email address too?

Jane: Of course.

Peter: Great. It's P-E-T-E-R dot G-R-I-F-F-I-N at F-R-E-S-H dot com.

Jane: Can I read that back to you?

Peter: Sure.

Jane: That's P-E-T-E-R dot G-R-I-F-F-I-N at F-R-E-S-H dot com.

Peter: Yes, that's it.

Jane: OK. I'll tell her you called.

Peter: Thank you. Goodbye.

Jane: Goodbye.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Worksheet112 KB

A2 English level (pre-intermediate)

Submitted by suraj1995b on Fri, 19/06/2020 - 11:18

I always speak in my native language.

Submitted by LarisaAlp on Sun, 14/06/2020 - 15:30

I never make a phone conversation in English, because my partners don't speak English. But if my foreign students ask me in English on the phone about something (SMS) I answer them in English too. Unfortunately, it happens very seldom.

Submitted by Teresa Chi on Sat, 13/06/2020 - 13:47

I never had a phone conversation in English yet. because i don't think that i have enough vocabulary to express mýelf

Submitted by iisrimadanti20 on Fri, 12/06/2020 - 23:14

I've never make a phone calls in english, because peoples around me not understand that english. but i want to practiced and tried to improve my english skills. ^^

Submitted by Sharif Tayyebi on Wed, 03/06/2020 - 11:10

In this case, I never call to my friends in English, because they don't understand English. I have a brother who is in India, and sometimes I chat with him in English. I should say that it is the main problem of mine that I don't have an English student partner. If there were somebody, I would prefer to call him/her and speak English. Regards, Tayyebi

Submitted by mouna99 on Mon, 18/05/2020 - 16:16

I sometimes do phone calls in English with my friends

Submitted by Fatemeh.Najafzadeh on Sun, 17/05/2020 - 02:21

I’d like to make phone calls in English mostly, but, unfortunately I’m not confident Regarding my English and I think, I won’t have a good conversation In English with other people. That’s why, I occasionally make phone calls for my essential works and I prefer to leave a text instead of phone call.

Submitted by Mann Mann on Sun, 10/05/2020 - 02:04

I have never been made a ph call in English yet. But I wanna make a ph call for practice English.i think it is a must for our listening skill.
Profile picture for user Bignon

Submitted by Bignon on Thu, 07/05/2020 - 16:30

I have never make phone calls in English yet. I'm scared that my English may not be good enough.

Submitted by S.S on Mon, 20/04/2020 - 16:41

I have never make phone calls in English.

Submitted by Youssef Karfouh on Thu, 16/04/2020 - 21:09

actually , i've never make a call in english , but i hope to .
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Thu, 09/04/2020 - 21:53

I do makes call in English more frequently often.

Submitted by Milena Lucero … on Mon, 06/04/2020 - 17:29

I don't make phone calls in English, in fact, I don´t make calls in any language, I usually write message, but it's a good idea to improve my English skills

Submitted by ademyonet on Mon, 06/04/2020 - 13:45

I don't make calls because what there isn't my office or what there aren't my foreign costumers, too. In this case I just call my friends and relatives.

Submitted by Lauracastanos on Mon, 06/04/2020 - 12:57

Never for now

Submitted by Eswar on Wed, 18/03/2020 - 15:15

Till now i didn't even call a my client .So i thought that i would like to call someone or my client to Improve project skills & learning skills etc.

Submitted by jason2295 on Thu, 12/03/2020 - 20:05

I call my clients a day per month, I usually do it at the end of the month.

Submitted by shahhoseini on Mon, 27/01/2020 - 14:44

Unfortunately, I have never called anyone in English so far and no one has phoned me.

Submitted by MaryaSun on Mon, 27/01/2020 - 14:28

I don't do very often english call, because i am italian and i most of my friends are italian. But i have some foreign friends. I usually send them messages..and i have never called them, but sometimes i send them vocal messages. So i can improve my english language.

Submitted by Dariusz on Mon, 20/01/2020 - 01:40

I don't make phone calls in English if it doesn't necessary, because I don't feel confident about speak english. If I good remember I had one phone call in English, it was informal, I talked with my friend.

Submitted by john098 on Sat, 18/01/2020 - 05:47

hmm .. i'm a Vietnamese. So i haven't got so much foreign friends.... but Sometime i tried to make some friends on facebook... and it went quite well... from that, every day i could improve my English skills ...

Submitted by Fredandy on Fri, 03/01/2020 - 10:00

Oh I can't make fone calls because i leave in a french country. And I dont have english friends or english learner friend to do this activity
Profile picture for user Alina Okt.

Submitted by Alina Okt. on Wed, 27/11/2019 - 20:14

Sometimes, not phone calls but skype. So I practice my speaking English. If you want we can chat too, write to me)
Hello, i'm dydy. I practice english course on this site and i want to improuve my english.so can we be friends?! Thans very much.
Hi Alina. I am from Italy. I am practicing my English here. I wanna improve my speaking and listening skills. If you want, we can contact with you via `---------------`.
Profile picture for user Kirk

Submitted by Kirk on Fri, 10/01/2020 - 06:19

In reply to by albert9315

Hello albert9315

It's great that you want to practise your English, but I'm afraid our House rules don't allow you to share the kind of personal information required to contact another user. This is for legal reasons -- sorry for the inconvenience!

All the best

Submitted by f.agadr on Wed, 13/11/2019 - 13:17

f.agadr I sometimes make phone calls in English

Submitted by Maksmatt on Tue, 08/10/2019 - 11:13

I never do phone calls in English.

Submitted by ikmalzulkifli on Thu, 03/10/2019 - 07:22

This question is wonderful

Submitted by lionel on Thu, 12/09/2019 - 14:45

I often make calls in English when I am on Free4talk. It's so interesting and I can improve my English very much

Submitted by Raqueline Monteiro on Fri, 06/09/2019 - 15:01

I never had this experience of talk in English. I'd like to talk, if anyone wants too, why not speak with a new friend?

Submitted by Fudhol on Wed, 04/09/2019 - 10:46

I have never make a call in English because that is difficult to find someone to speak English in here even when calling.
Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Submitted by Magedelabd on Sun, 25/08/2019 - 18:33

I make phone calls in English about twice a month getting a technical support from the manufacture in China .

Submitted by César Árraga on Tue, 30/07/2019 - 00:27

I never make phone calls in English, I only communicate in my native language that is spanish, but since I'm learning english, someday I wish to make phone calls in this language.

Submitted by cittàutopica on Sat, 15/06/2019 - 16:35

I never make phone calls in English, because I don't have any reason to make it.

Submitted by Sarah-njzh on Thu, 23/05/2019 - 09:31

I also hardly make phone calls in English cause I'm afraid of making mistakes. so I often send email
Profile picture for user mtalebi

Submitted by mtalebi on Fri, 17/05/2019 - 10:13

I have not make a phone call in English yet. I use email most of the time.

Submitted by pacha809 on Thu, 02/05/2019 - 09:31

I didn't yet make any phone calls in English because I don't speak English fluently enough. I search to often for my words. So my conversation is too chopped up. And especially my skill in listening is very bad. Maybe I woudn't understand my interlocutor.

Submitted by Bayram Ozkaya on Wed, 24/04/2019 - 12:59

I hardly ever make phone calls in English since I can't trust myself well if I make mistakes. So, I prefer to text instead of calling. By the way, thanks for your preparing listening exercises.