A team meeting about diversity

Listen to a team meeting about diversity to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Nina: As you know, our team has grown a lot in the past year and we feel we need to address the diversity in the team.

Brenda: How do you mean, 'address the diversity'?

Nina: Well, we all know that diversity in teams is a good thing, but it can also be a challenge for some people to respect and value people's differences. We've got a really diverse team here – people of different nationalities, backgrounds, religions, ages … and sometimes I don't feel we make the most of this.

Stefano: Yes, and even if it isn't specifically challenging, many people are simply unaware of the isolation that some team members may feel because they are different.

Brenda: So, what does this mean? What are we going to do?

Nina: Well, we need to create a workplace charter. You know, one that promotes equality, diversity and inclusion.

Brenda: That sounds like a good idea. But will people just see it as something the management team has created? Maybe they won't even pay attention to it.

Nina: I know. That's why we're going to involve everyone in creating it.

Stefano: That's a good idea. We could run some workshops and get ideas from the employees about how we can create a more inclusive workplace.

Nina: Exactly. I was thinking that before that we could run some team-building sessions so they can experience the value of diversity for themselves.

Brenda: Yes, I like that. Many people see diversity as something negative, often because there are different opinions or ways of doing things.

Nina: Yes, I know, but if there's no diversity, then the risk is that we all work in the same way, think the same and see the world the same. This makes it hard to be creative and to innovate.

Stefano: I completely agree, Nina. OK. So, what do you want us to do?

Nina: Stefano, can you look for a successful trainer who specialises in running workshops and team-building sessions on diversity and inclusion?

Stefano: Sure. I'll be happy to.

Nina: And Brenda, can you find a fun venue? Somewhere that is quite diverse itself. Something that's not the usual seminar-style environment?

Brenda: Sure. That'll be fun.

Nina: And I'm going to do some further research into how other organisations are benefiting from their diversity. I can share this with the whole team.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

B1 English level (intermediate)

Submitted by Aswad371 on Wed, 11/12/2019 - 13:17

As I have been working in the GCC area for five years, I found how diversity is so crucial for enhancing creativity in our company. it helps me to learn from the culture and work ethics of my workmates who have come from all around the world and destroyed my negative isolated beliefs against others regardless of their race, religion, origins... etc

Submitted by taghi on Mon, 09/12/2019 - 06:33

i am a graduated student but when i was studying i could see foreigners in my university who had came to continue their higher education.they were from different culture with different language,appearance and religion.it was interesting for me seeing and having interaction with people who are thinking,speaking and seeing the world in a different way.in my point of view,diversity in the workplace lead to creativity because we have different people with various opinions.

Submitted by César Árraga on Sat, 12/10/2019 - 00:09

In my last work, there were some co-workers from different provinces of Peru, the Manager was a peruvian person of arab parents whom have lived in the country for many years. But they've still preserved their own culture. The diversity can benefit to team to come up with diverse opinions to daily troubles. As more points of view are found, a wide variety of possible solutions will be available to choose. In addition, being a diverse team-working can help to know a little more about the different cultures of its members.

Submitted by Captainblack_009 on Sat, 28/09/2019 - 10:54

Little bit confused

Submitted by judythuy on Tue, 24/09/2019 - 16:40

my team is the same ages ,sex , country. we are studying a class in a university and work together .Our benefit is everyone is respects and values each other.when someone give an idea , everyone listen to it and give comment .im so happy when i work with them .

Submitted by Oussema3ahmed on Mon, 23/09/2019 - 03:49

I like this subject because the majority of people live in forgein country are exposed to diversty such as in my workplace, there are many diversty like religion , culturel , language ..... But this diversty can help to improve many things like respect each other and get different ideas with different opinions . Also, it's contribute to learn much more about many other country for instance culturel , traditionel , Days of celebrations ....

Submitted by KhaleefRosely on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 09:28

" I have completed the following lessons of A team meeting about diversity . The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by Catalina Pazmiño on Fri, 13/09/2019 - 14:47

I live in a country which has a lot of diversity. for example we have different regions, weather, dialect, food, cultures and customs from our country and others from inmigrants. But even when there are some charter that said that it is requiered to respect others' customs and cultures. I think there is needed to socialized and create workplaces to motive people to joing and share their own culture.

Submitted by Diannm on Fri, 06/09/2019 - 11:38

I still on high school, where are many people,we have different phisical features, but diversity Is not related at all with that, the people just for being humans, have different ideas, ideology, a differen way to see the world, we are differents even the way that we talk, and I think diversity is so cool, because as I have hear from the television and people older than me...the world would be boring without that diversity, and I'm totally agree with that.

Submitted by Aurora Angeles on Fri, 06/09/2019 - 04:15

This listening help me, i can answer the questions
Profile picture for user kamicounciler

Submitted by kamicounciler on Sun, 01/09/2019 - 21:27

i recently finished a book named "a fraction of whole" by steve toltz , i read something there that made me think,it says that people usually read books that adopts their their thinking and beliefs,it means that we mostly just read things that empowers what we think and not to challenge them, i think that s true and since then i try to put myself in positions and do things to challenge my basic and new beliefs,so this is where diversity can really help , the best way to break your imagine of everything , of every law ,to regenerate them and achieve something closer to truth is facing different people with different cultures and behaviors. nothing beside this can improve our thoughts , because we as humans are highly social creatures and we just do things in interaction with other people by engaging our feelings and emotions .
Profile picture for user mehrazin

Submitted by mehrazin on Wed, 28/08/2019 - 19:51

As you know, offering different ideas is vital in any management style, it helps to create innovation , it helps to make the place work progress in such a way that the workplace benefits the advantages of the favorite situation. In a workplace with diverse diversity the team mate discusses the ideas and beliefs, even despite the different religous ideas as the team mate are from different nationalities, and different gender and ethnic ideas so they can make a variety of optimal capacity ,as a result , while they can learn to accept and justify and clarify the ideas and beliefs from different point of views , follow the ideas and then they can get the best results, it not only needs a professional leadership, but it also requires respecting different cultures and opinions as well.

Submitted by popo1011 on Wed, 28/08/2019 - 08:37

In my opinion, diversity in a team should begin from its manager. until he/she is automenous, Members of team coulde not do anythings and coulde not say their opinions. the case that I see in my workplace every day.

Submitted by kseniwerdy on Sat, 24/08/2019 - 04:12

I'm from Russia but study abroad (South Korea). So that's why our university has the diversity in such things as a religion, a nationality, appearence, language, etc. In my case the diversity could help me (and others) to impove our non-native languages and to understand another culture.

Submitted by starfish2019 on Fri, 09/08/2019 - 20:49

How diverse is your workplace? How can diversity benefit your team? We had a little diversity in our workplace, because we had a few foreigners only and mostly local people involved in the team. In local group also we had a few different religions and races, but they didn't like each other that much, due to some racial and religions conflicts were existed in the past. So in our team, foreigners were the mediator between those two different races and religions background and set the common goals and targets to achieve. Anyway, that helped us somehow to progress our jobs further with different ideas and opinions. I believe diversity is a very good thing, when everyone can understand the common goals and better future to see the big picture.

Submitted by mustaphasadiki on Wed, 07/08/2019 - 02:34

well i can say that my university is diverse because we have people from all around cities we learn in peace that allows students to know new different things about other which is good for all
Profile picture for user Anaitat

Submitted by Anaitat on Sat, 03/08/2019 - 19:34

I work as a self-employed and my workplace is diverse because I meet diverse people with diverse characters. In my work I use diverse forms to contact with my clients and managers of translation agencies. Diverse is every day of my life.
Profile picture for user Mercedes Quicano

Submitted by Mercedes Quicano on Sat, 27/07/2019 - 13:03

I can see, my workplace is very diversity, because there are people of ages, regions and religions different. People of different regions of my country whose customs, language accents mark the differencies. Diversity benefit my team, because we learns, share, and we feel we must live together in peace.

Submitted by dan on Wed, 10/07/2019 - 05:04

Hello everyone! Recently i promote in a new position with a new role in my company. I have new challenges because my new position presupposes increased interactions with similar position from other countries, 7 in numbers. I'm the last member in this team and i'm a little bit nervous when i must participate at different workshop because there are a lot of diversity of culture, customs, different way to do things. Interestingly, all of them are man :), but i don't have a problem with this. My problem become of ENGLISH language and how i can use English language decently... I try to improve but sometimes i feel that the results didn't come so fast as i wish.

Submitted by OmarAdelSherif on Fri, 05/07/2019 - 08:43

By talking about diversity, we normally speak about one of the most important thins needed for success. Because of that, my workplace aims always to promote diversity in the group, to listen to different opinions and most importantly to avoid all sorts of isolation. We can explain that by the fact that isolation could influence negatively the team. By other words, there would be less opinions and less reflections in the group itself which is so negative because diversity always encourages new ideas and new reflections that can benefit the team and that can help attending a good result at the end. So, we can conclude by confirming the fact that diversity always influence my team and so any other team because it is the main factor of expressing new ideas and it is considered the key of success in all workplaces.

Submitted by zarathustradian on Mon, 27/05/2019 - 08:42

Currently, in my office, there is not so much diversity except religion, because we had limited people who work in. But I believe that diversity can give us so many benefits, one of the benefits is learning about to care of each other and feel amazing how the people can be so colorful

Submitted by maria.khazaee on Sun, 26/05/2019 - 18:04

in my opinion,diversity might be useful if and only if the team manager is professional in coaching the team mate.otherwise it causes challenge with enormous side effects. age,sex,religion,nation,culture even family background make people so different in believes and attitudes and it need a really experienced leader to struggle all and create equal workplace!

Submitted by smell08 on Wed, 22/05/2019 - 07:19

In my work place, our team members including my team leader have different personality each other. For instance, when i work in my company, I always try to finish as soon as possible. Occasionally, It's fit to do my job. however, if my job is not needed to finish early, it turns out disadvantage as my meticuolous. by cooperating, I'm improving my work style. we can check on each point of view. Finaaly, It would contribute to develop team work efficiency.

Submitted by Thanh Thien on Thu, 16/05/2019 - 01:07

Diversity is good, but we need to, like the above paragraph, learn to respect one another, and need to have one person know to balance the discussion, the end point of it and stop it timely. Diversity in age, gender, nationality, geography or something like this doesn't make sense without difference from opinions of the members. Because merely it affects directly to the work. (Do I have any mistake in this comment?? if you see them, please tell me, we try together to learn English, ok ^^! )

Submitted by Anderson de Azevedo on Mon, 06/05/2019 - 10:06

I believe many people to understand that diversity is only choose of the sex gender, but diversity is more than that.

Submitted by sahar2550 on Tue, 30/04/2019 - 07:49

There are many diversity in my workplace such as gender,ethnicity, age and different opinions. With this diversity we can getting to know different cultures.
Profile picture for user akkg2000

Submitted by akkg2000 on Fri, 26/04/2019 - 06:35

In order to solve a problem there are so many different ways, But how can you catch them? I think we need different people with different attitudes and background who inform us. Nowdays, the most expensive good is information. You can find it by 2 ways: 1) studing book, 2) consultation with others, specifically others with different attitude.

Submitted by khineeiei.hein on Thu, 11/04/2019 - 09:25

In my workplace, there are colleagues from different ethnic groups, religions and locations. As you know, there are more than three hundreds ethnic groups in Myanmar. We could learn to different traditional natures and cultures, beliefs, aspects, feelings and many many etc.

Submitted by ANAALVAREZ1624 on Wed, 10/04/2019 - 18:45

In my work place there are not a lot of cases of physical diversity but there are a lot of cases of psycological diversity, we are totally different in ideas, beliefs, behaviours,etc. wich are more difficult to deal with.

Submitted by marcasti on Thu, 04/04/2019 - 19:29

In my organization diversity and inclusion environment are welcome, but it is not enough. There is a set of differences that are not considered. The gender gap does not exist, we are the same number of male and female. But there are no disabled or elderly, for example.
Profile picture for user rubi.mariano

Submitted by rubi.mariano on Tue, 02/04/2019 - 20:45

Good exercise, it helps me a lot to improve my English level

Submitted by Yosjuan on Mon, 01/04/2019 - 19:19

In my organization promotes a diversity and inclusion environment, understanding it is a good way to achieve the goals.
Profile picture for user Howard_Conrad_3009

Submitted by Howard_Conrad_3009 on Sat, 30/03/2019 - 07:42

I think that it might be vital to create diversity in the workplace environment, because we can have interesting ideas and opinions from many people who have differences in gender, ethnicity, religion and nationality. This can give advantages to make business more optimal and favourable
Profile picture for user Ruralcrue

Submitted by Ruralcrue on Sat, 30/03/2019 - 01:05

In my workplace, there is some diversity such as sex, knowledge, religion, etc. I think the diversity can benefit my team because we can make the best idea from the different people.