Study skills tips

Read the study skills tips to practise and improve your reading skills. You'll learn some great study tips at the same time!

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text

Many studies about language learning ask the question: What makes a good language learner? There are some things that good language learners do and some things they don't do. Here are some of the most useful suggestions from studies.

• Don't be afraid of making mistakes. People often get things wrong. Good language learners notice their mistakes and learn from them.
  • Do group activities. People use language to communicate with other people. A good language learner always looks for opportunities to talk with other students.
  • Make notes during every class. Notes help you to remember new language. Look at your notes when you do your homework.
  • Use a dictionary. Good language learners often use dictionaries to check the meaning of words they don't know. They also make their own vocabulary lists.
  • Think in the language you're learning outside the classroom. When you're shopping or walking down the street, remember useful words and phrases. Sometimes, when you're at home, say new words to practise your pronunciation.
  • Do extra practice. Test and improve your language, reading and listening skills with self-study material. You can find a lot of this online.
  • Imagine yourself speaking in the language. Many good language learners can see and hear themselves speaking in the language. This helps their motivation.
  • Enjoy the process. Good language learners have fun with the language. Watch a TV series or film, listen to songs, play video games or read a book. It's never too late to become a good language learner.

Submitted by LamVanPhuong on Tue, 19/10/2021 - 12:51

actually i do not have many tips for learning a new language, i only have a advice that do not give up if you have some difficulty when you learn a language get up and remember why you started.

Submitted by Momocompanyman on Sat, 16/10/2021 - 17:13

Practice language skills everyday, like speaking with mirror.

Online exams are easy to do at home, you can do them whenever you want. It also makes good language skills develop as well.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Sat, 16/10/2021 - 15:35

I'm doing a lot of practice in English.i watching movies, series and reading novels in English. That's very useful to learn new language.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Sun, 09/05/2021 - 10:29

According to me best English learner always have passion for learn English. His every moment thinking about English. I think Speaking parrt is the most of than three parts. It's have mostly distress part. I try to tackle this problem.

Submitted by Andrea Valencia on Tue, 20/04/2021 - 00:10

I study another new language, I talk to people and I always do extra practice.

Submitted by MikhailZatopliaev on Tue, 13/04/2021 - 23:26

Very important for me understand why I do things, if I know that, It motivate me. I will explain, I learn English for learn Economic because very good materials about Economic in English.

Submitted by Venequin on Mon, 05/04/2021 - 21:05

To Keep everyday a same amount of time at least of 30 min to learn the language you want to.

Submitted by TIa vinaka on Wed, 24/03/2021 - 03:09

Those tips are so useful, Thanks!! Singing in English is one of my favorite learning!

Submitted by Gab Cod on Wed, 10/03/2021 - 19:28

My tips is switch your phone's settings in English.

Submitted by Hoang Hai on Wed, 24/02/2021 - 04:09

In my opinion, a good tip to improve your speaking skill especially when you don't have any partner is mimic actor in the movie, show, lesson.

Submitted by Wevellyn on Sat, 20/02/2021 - 16:19

You need to dive on language every day, because when you're in touch with language you can learn a lot more. For example: when you go to learn a new recipe, you can search this recipe in english, when you go to learn a new music or dance, you can search about it in english.

Submitted by Leila77 on Sat, 13/02/2021 - 12:28

I think that to learn a new language you should practise it every day.

Submitted by camiloj18 on Thu, 11/02/2021 - 04:12

i like this website!!

Hi camiloj18,

That's great! Thanks for joining, and we hope you enjoy your English practice here. :)

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Submitted by Sara Kalafat on Fri, 05/02/2021 - 16:25

Reading the paragraphs loudly and hear your self while you are reading it help to improve your speaking and reading at same time

Submitted by German on Thu, 04/02/2021 - 02:48

I think is important for learn another languaje to have a schedule for learn outside the class and being disciplinated. It´s importat too, if there is the opprtunity, to visit a country or place where speak that languaje which yiu are learning

Submitted by Vanessa Villeg… on Sat, 09/01/2021 - 01:40

These are my tips for learning a new language: -Sing the lyrics of your favorite songs. -Exaggerate the most used sounds of the language you are learning, for example, in english you can exaggerate the letter "L" or "R" as a mockery of the language, this is going to help you for natural pronuntiation. -Write your thoughts and emotions in the language you want to learn like "I feel sad because..." or "I like this song because..." -Don't try to memorize, just learn.

Submitted by Rabia Syed on Mon, 04/01/2021 - 14:25

These tips Are very Helpful for me. one thing I am doing to Make my own Vocabulary Dictionary. I try to follow all these tips for become a learner.

Submitted by Thinthinmyoe on Tue, 15/12/2020 - 08:59

I think it is very important to be life-long learning to be a good language learner.In fact,we should always touch and study language which we really want to be skillful.We must be patient and hard-working.

Submitted by Augusto Hidalgo on Mon, 07/12/2020 - 14:18

What other tips do you have for learning a new language? 1.- Talking the new language every time 2.- Listen music in the language that you like learn and try to traduce it 3.- Practice Duolingo =D

Submitted by Wevellyn on Thu, 03/12/2020 - 19:44

I think that we need to live the language in everyday life, read a news, do shopping list, listen music.

Submitted by farid007 on Sat, 28/11/2020 - 17:55

Moving in English speaking country can help a lot to learn English. It is good choice for people enjoying English. But it is costly just like language learning.

Submitted by Ehsan on Sun, 22/11/2020 - 15:19

There are many methods and tools to learn foreign languages in particular English. Some of them include: Reading books, listening to music, watching videos, talking to another person, going to class, using mobile apps, using computer software, using websites, using social media groups and channels and so on. It just needs some motivation and effort.

Submitted by Asni on Sun, 08/11/2020 - 22:25

-Try to guess the names of the things you come across in everyday life, vegetables, furniture, anything you see. Maybe, you won't be able to remember them for the first few times you look them up, but by doing it frequently the names will end up sticking in your memory. -Speaking websites or applications where you can speak to people you don't know and once the conversation is over it is so unlikely that you talk to them again. This tip is perfect for shy people, because even if you make all the mistakes of the world, you won't care it is like talking to a machine speaker. -Optimize your time and speed up your learning process by surrounding yourself by English, set your phone, computer browser, TV in English. - If you're interested in other things, other courses, try to learn or study them in English, often they have text transcripts that might help you a lot.

Submitted by Moon Wathan on Wed, 21/10/2020 - 13:30

Try to make sentence with new words and use in public. It's easy to remember this new word easily. Try to speak in English in front of mirror and use English to English dictionary is the most important to learn English. And listen the native speaker and try to say later. I suggest to read English story or novel to improve reading and note down new word and if you don't know this new word, you should find this new word in dictionary immediately and try to make sentence with this.

Submitted by habibao.medo on Thu, 15/10/2020 - 08:28

try talking to yourself in english in the front of the mirror or something i think it helps

Submitted by Lilly098 on Thu, 15/10/2020 - 01:09

When I started studying English, noting my thoughts in English helped me a lot. Once I got used to writing what I felt, I have started thinking everything in English. So, I will add noting your thoughts daily as an other tip.

Submitted by Aneta Jablecka on Mon, 28/09/2020 - 14:09

I can't understand English when someone is talking to me whereas I can understand it when it is written down.

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Sun, 13/09/2020 - 12:13

High motivation for learning ...! ;)

Submitted by elsiaraujo on Sun, 13/09/2020 - 00:58

When I see a movie for first time I see with the subtitles, then, two o three days later, I see the same movie again but without subtitles and i repeat this process (with the same movie) five or six times

Submitted by Gabrielaalfonzo on Sat, 12/09/2020 - 15:49

Change the language of the phone or the computer , listen to songs, watch series without subtitles and talk with friends abroad.

Submitted by Olieth28 on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 13:05

I always try to speak in english to myself everyday, at least the new words I've learnt. Also when I listen to music I search for the song with English lyrics, so like that I'm singing and listening the pronunciation.

Submitted by Gabrielaks15 on Thu, 10/09/2020 - 18:55

I always learn other languages by watching, speaking and listening international programs, magazines music, series, movies and people from all around the world. I write down each new or colloquial phrase that they say, I observe how they express themselves with each thing or situation and thus I learn what they say in those specific moments.

Submitted by Nguyen Anh Tu on Wed, 09/09/2020 - 01:47

I think when we learn a new language, the most important thing is correct pronunciation.

Submitted by Roblox on Sun, 06/09/2020 - 17:44

what I do is I encourage myself to hear a lot of news, tv, or movie to work with my listening skill. The more I hear the more I gain a lot of new vocabulary. I will get used to hearing the words that I do not know how to pronounce it.

Submitted by Faheem Khan on Sat, 29/08/2020 - 10:39

in my opinion when you learn new language you should must listen more and more because when a small kid talking he/she first listen our parents then he/she speak that language. when small born in Canada then he should speak English. when he born in UAE he should speak Arabic and when he born in Pakistan or India or Bangladesh he speak Urdu. so when a small kid listen which language they can speak that language. simply that when you speak any language should must listening practice more and more and this is the easiest way of learning language

Submitted by danisep on Tue, 25/08/2020 - 21:24

My listening skills are not the best yet for that, I listen to Podcast and also watch tv shows on Youtube, I dont like to take notes but I did because it is important write or make essays, that help to thing fast, moreover I use anki to make my list of new words to learn.

Submitted by Waleed jan223 on Thu, 20/08/2020 - 16:07

I’m Looking to Friends from outside to practice my English language skills and now at the moment I have no friends to practice with what I’m looking forward

Submitted by Rinaa on Sat, 15/08/2020 - 21:59

Lately, I found another helpful method to improve my English in Listening and speaking area. I'm listening to many audiobooks in youtube, the best part is that I'm enjoying each of them.

Submitted by DrakonBZ on Sat, 08/08/2020 - 05:36

Having friends from another country also helps. You can chat with them and ask for tips to get better comprehension and pronunciation. You can also exchange your language with your foreign friends as an appreciation for their teachings for you

Submitted by Risa on Thu, 06/08/2020 - 14:43

I always watch my favorite artist interview or listen to their songs. The way of listen to native speaker’s pronunciation or conversation is the best way to learn new language. If you like watching movies, you should watch English sound with Japanese subtitle. You can enjoy it from an unusual viewpoint. If you don’t understand the conversation meaning or word, you look it up in the dictionary. That way is important to studying language. If there’s something you don’t know, look it up thoroughly. So that way, linguistic ability goes up without realizing. Busy people should download the application like CNN application. It is a big clue of growing up that effectively utilizes spare time.

Submitted by AMANI148 on Sat, 01/08/2020 - 20:19

I have some tips for leaner a new language .through what I learned from my mistakes before that . Don't be shy if you mistake because we learn from our mistakes.Also you will remamper the mistake you made it. Secondly, not necessary to note the level of student and compare them with you in the end, everyone who comes to learn.

Submitted by Seina Tsuchiya on Mon, 27/07/2020 - 06:26

I think it's important to watch dramas and movies and listen to music in that country. I started studying Korean and Malay at university. I usually listen to K-POP and watch Korean dramas. This is very useful for class. It also improves my listening ability.

Submitted by Re on Mon, 27/07/2020 - 05:44

Hello. When I was high school student, I sang an English song in an English class. The song was "papurika". Do you know? I enjoyed singing in English. Now, I studies English watching many times my favorite movie. I think Japanese people should speak English more. Therefore, English conversation is one way to improve your speaking English skill. I want to talk with foreign people. I want to go to university and I do talk with international students.

Submitted by Suzuha on Mon, 20/07/2020 - 06:40

I think listening to music and watching dramas from foreign countries are good for learning foreign languages. If I am interested in foreign culture, I will make progress in my studies of foreign languages.

Submitted by Yuki on Mon, 20/07/2020 - 05:55

When learning a new language, it is good to watch movies or listen to music. I also watch interviews with my favorite musicians. Then, look up the word in a dictionary whenever I found one I don't know. These methods improve our listening skills and are fun to learn. I think learning a new language in a fun way will improve our ability. So I actually do them.