Four conversations

Listen to four conversations to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

A

Man: How did it go?

Woman: Umm, I think it went quite well. I did a lot of research and prepared a lot. I was in there for ... I don't know ... half an hour?

Man: And? What did they say?

Woman: Nothing much. At the end I asked them, 'What happens now?', and the woman said, 'We'll call you back with news in three or four days.'

Man: Really?

Woman: Yeah, I think I've got the job. There weren't a lot of other people there. I was the only interview that day, you know?

Man: Well, good luck with it.

B

Man: Anyway, you were saying ...

Woman: Oh, yeah, um ... let's see. Yes, so I was in the museum and there were, I don't know, a hundred people waiting to get into the room. Finally, I got in, and I tried to see the Mona Lisa but I couldn't look at it.

Man: Why not?

Woman: Because the room was filled with people taking photographs of it!

Man: Oh, right.

Woman: Yes! And selfies.

Man: Wait a minute. You can take photos while you're in there?

Woman: Yes, but you can't use flash. I don't know ... Why do we take photos of everything we see when we travel?

Man: I know. And we never look at the photos after.

Woman: Exactly! I'm tired of always taking photos. I don't feel I'm enjoying things.

C

Man: Who took this?

Woman: I can't remember. Hmmm ...

Man: What am I doing?

Woman: You're sitting on the sofa, watching TV and eating chocolates. Nothing changes!

Man: Ha! Very funny. You look very young, though.

Woman: I know. Look at my hair – it was so long!

Man: Mine too, look at me! Hey … I think I know who took this photo.

Woman: Umm … who? Was it Dad?

Man: No, it wasn’t Dad or Mum. Do you remember Barry?

Woman: No.

Man: Yes, YES! You do remember. Barry, your boyfriend at high school. You were seventeen and he was sixteen and he was so very polite: 'Hello, I'm Barry. It's very nice to meet you ...'

Woman: Stop it! He was nice.

Man: Yeah, well, he took the photo.

D

Woman: Let's see. OK. I'm glad we could talk about this. It's not easy to say.

Man: What?

Woman: Well, you're not in our group – for the class project.

Man: What do you mean? You know I'm always in a group with you.

Woman: I know. It's just that this time … this time we made the group differently and because you were late ...

Man: I see. You don't want me in the group?

Woman: No, no. It isn't that. It's that we've already made the group, see? There's four of us already.

Man: So? We can't be a group of five?

Woman: Well, the teacher said four people per group.

Man: Oh.

Woman: It's not about you or your work or anything like that. It's ... errrr ... well, we already have the group.

Man: So I have to find another group.

Woman: I'm sorry.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Hello fahri,

'You are remember' is not grammatically correct. Normally we just say 'you remember', but when we want to emphasise the action, we can use 'do' with the verb. Here when the man says 'you do remember', it shows that he thought that maybe the woman had forgotten about her boyfriend.

Submitted by Nguyen My on Sat, 18/07/2020 - 15:31

I think people nowadays always taking too many photos that not necessary, they don't look at it after, they don't have much value. When hanging out with my friends, sometimes I feel tired because they take all the time to take a photo to post in social media instead to talk with each other

Submitted by Dastenova Firuza on Sat, 11/07/2020 - 19:05

I have conversations about old photos with my family. I often chat on telegram canal sending or getting old photos from or to my friends. I didn't learn any new words as all of them are familiar to me.
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Submitted by Hennadii on Wed, 08/07/2020 - 17:00

Of course, I had some conversations on these topics. I've been on plenty of job interviews and discuss them with my friends and family. And I also tried to see Mona Lisa and also failed, actually. You just can't come nearer because of the crowd. And yeah, I think we take too many photos on our holidays. And then, after returning, we look at them at the most ones or twice. I used to take tons of photos in my past travelings but now I prefer to enjoy the moment of relaxation but not being a photographer only. However, I like to view some old photos. It's funny how we change through time.

Submitted by Anneke Putri on Wed, 08/07/2020 - 03:13

Yes, I had a similar conversation about taking a photo when traveling. taking a photo is great, but first, we need to enjoy the view before it. it may be our last chance to come to those places, so we need to memories that beautifully.

Submitted by Suellen Esteves on Mon, 06/07/2020 - 18:46

Yes, I already had a similar conversation but in my native language and also learned new phrases.

Submitted by joshnamep on Wed, 01/07/2020 - 10:31

well, I had the same conversation like the third one with my roomate yesterday. We showed our old school and classmates together. It is great to look back these memories.

Submitted by Asni on Wed, 24/06/2020 - 20:40

Yes, I had a conversation similar too the second one. And, I think the same about taking a lot of photos. We'd better enjoy our moments than just try to take photos or videos to show them to people or post them on social media. Well, a few photos for the family or friends to remember the good time spent together are fine but when you are always going around with the camera or the phone in hands taking photos instead of appreciating your holidays and having fun, it simply does not make sense.

Submitted by abudo93 on Tue, 23/06/2020 - 21:13

Yes, I've had similar conversation, specially, A,B and D. I learned new phrase it's Who did it go ?

Submitted by quyenquyen87 on Fri, 12/06/2020 - 16:09

Yes,I’ve had a similar conversation. I learn some new phrases: Really? ,What happens? ,Gotcha, That’s interesting, Right, Pardon?....

Submitted by Teresa Chi on Thu, 11/06/2020 - 15:19

yes, i already had this kind of conversation with my parents or my friends. i've learn a lot in this coneversation, because at the moment i'm trying to study english by myself and i hope that i will be able to improve my level.

Submitted by Sharif Tayyebi on Wed, 03/06/2020 - 10:42

In my view, writing an essay or assignment for college and school is not very difficult. When I was a student, I wrote many essays. But in an academic research, it will be hard to write. There are many important things or points to be noted. First of all, we should be free from all kinds of judgments and should use academic norms and terminologies which maintain many different types of methods and epistemologic approaches from one field to another. Secondly, we should study hard to find a good theory that can explain our subject. Thirdly, we must collect a lot of data and analyse them based on our theory which is accepted by our research. Finally, after all these things, time is to make a deduction. We should carefully compare our data with our presumptions and answer to questions/ problem adequately. Indeed, writing an essay is not very difficult, if we have enough sources and time. We should work hard, and it will not be easy, if we don't want to sustain any discomfort.

Submitted by Sharif Tayyebi on Tue, 02/06/2020 - 20:18

Yes, I have. But my conversation wasn't in English. A few weeks ago, I looked at pictures that I took them when I was at the University. My brother asked many questions about them, for example. He said: you were a little overweight and so younger when you were in the University. I also explained some pictures of mine and my friends. I learned some, for example, I didn't know "I know" uses when we are going to say something or let's see, and so on.

Submitted by amal.araia on Sat, 30/05/2020 - 01:01

Yes, l have had conversation like these before, with same difference. Hmmm, errrr, umm, these are new phrases for me.

Submitted by mouna99 on Mon, 18/05/2020 - 14:42

Yes, I had the same conversation,

Submitted by Lauracastanos on Thu, 14/05/2020 - 23:31

Yes, I have this type of conversation, especially after a job interview, and remembering people with a relative.

Submitted by Milena Nikolova on Thu, 14/05/2020 - 06:08

Hello, Every one has simular conversation. I wonder for people why they not enjoy the pictures. The art must be evaluate not take as photo. About my situations i often have as conversation C. Very rarely we look at the paper photo my is a lot of them gigital.

Submitted by Fatemeh.Najafzadeh on Thu, 14/05/2020 - 02:58

Yes, I’ve had a lot of Similar conversation. Interview, conversations with my friends about holiday, school issues and stuff... I learned new expressions like : no way, let’s see.

Submitted by S.S on Mon, 20/04/2020 - 16:23

Yes,I had.I usually say “I see”, “Really?” and so on. I learned new phrases: “I mean …”, “No way!”.
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Mon, 06/04/2020 - 22:57

Yes, I had. The new phrases I had learned includes: let's see, I mean, no way and I know.

Submitted by Daudau0601 on Wed, 01/04/2020 - 04:46

i have ever had a similar conversation A. This is the first time i interviewed to get a job which was also first job in my life. She asked me in short time with some question such as " Have you ever gone to work?, why do you choose this job,..." and so on. At that time, i lied her that i have ever worked in coffee store about two week :3 Finally, i passed that interview. ( Can you correct my grammar? please ) Thanks

Hello Daudau0601,

Thank you for the comment. We read every post on the site and respond to as many as we can, but we are a small team here and with many thousands of users we can't provide a checking or correction service, I'm afraid.

Profile picture for user Kadir

Submitted by Kadir on Tue, 17/03/2020 - 17:10

When I was child -14 years old- I had applied for military school. During interview there was a officer in the room. He told me "when I push the key, say "do" OK" I said "OK" He pushed the key and I said "do" He moved his hand and said "go out" My musical life had finished.:))))

Submitted by Vitalik Chernenko on Sat, 14/03/2020 - 12:17

These tasks weren't hard for me. I have only one mistake. I use to work with these types of exercises.

Submitted by Station on Mon, 02/03/2020 - 15:19

Hello everyone I think everyone has had a conversation like this. I didn't learn new phrases but I always forgot about things like "hmm", "ok" and a lot like this stuff. After this lesson, I think I will sound more native than then. Thanks...

Submitted by pintoju on Wed, 26/02/2020 - 04:11

Hi! I think where it says "I was the only interview that day", it should say I was the only interviewed that day, so maybe I am thinking like a Spanish speaker. It is very nice learning new phrases
Profile picture for user Kirk

Submitted by Kirk on Wed, 26/02/2020 - 07:35

In reply to by pintoju

Hello pintoju

It would be correct to say 'the only person interviewed that day', but 'the only interviewed' isn't correct. As you point out, in Spanish, adjectives (such as 'entrevistado') are easily used as nouns, and so I can see how that makes more sense to you. In English, it is not impossible for an adjective to be used as a noun, but it is much less common and only used in some specific cases.

Glad you found the page useful!

All the best

Submitted by haitham sawalha on Tue, 18/02/2020 - 13:17

thanks a lot >>>>>>>very useful

Submitted by shahhoseini on Wed, 22/01/2020 - 14:06

I think many people have had at least one conversation similar to conversation A in their life. And I too. I learned four following new phrases from these conversations: - How did it go? - Who took this? - Anyway, you were saying ... - What do you mean?

Submitted by Dariusz on Tue, 14/01/2020 - 17:22

First question: Yes, I had a conversations similar to issue A and D. It was in the past when I went to school and after when I became adult and I was trying to get a job and I had an interview. Second question: Yes I did. While these conversations I did learn a couple of phrases and words like: "I was the only interview that day..." I don't feel I'm anjoying things", "filled", "it isn't that", "half an hour". And what is interesting for me I didn't know that we can say: "Your boyfriend at high school", probably I would say "your boyfriend from high school"

Submitted by Maxim on Mon, 23/12/2019 - 09:47

Why is the question "The man and the woman grew up in the same family?" TRUE? I thought they are husband and wife. Or not? Husband and wife can't grow in the same family!

Hello Maxim

No, they are not husband and wife, but rather brother and sister. As you say, they can't be married and have grown up in the same family.

All the best

Hi! Remember the guy said that the photo was not taken by mom or dad, that`s why they are brother and sister.

Submitted by Nasser_mo on Tue, 12/11/2019 - 13:37

what does that mean "I think it went quite well" ?

Hello Nasser_mo,

When we say something 'went well' we mean that it was successful.

Submitted by f.agadr on Fri, 08/11/2019 - 13:13

f.agadr I think that I have had a conersation like conversation C.

Submitted by Hikingirl on Wed, 09/10/2019 - 18:22

Hello The LearnEnglish Team, I have a question. There is a sentence in the transcript: “ I was the only interview that day, you know?” Why did you use this form of interview verb? Why not “interviewed”? Could you explain to me? Thank you

Hello Hikingirl

In this sentence, 'interview' is a noun and 'only' modifies the noun, meaning there was only one interview that day. So the woman says she was the interview, and there was only one interview that day. This is an informal way of saying that I think you understood: 'I was the only one (or 'only person') interviewed that day'. In this case, 'interviewed' is indeed a past participle and needs the '-ed' ending.

Note that, unlike in many other European languages, in English we don't generally use an adjective to refer to a noun, which is why you have to say 'one' or 'person' after 'only' if you want to mean 'only person'.

Does that make sense?

All the best

Submitted by ikmalzulkifli on Thu, 03/10/2019 - 06:55

This is awesome

Submitted by Raqueline Monteiro on Thu, 05/09/2019 - 22:03

Hi everyone! This conversations was difficult to me, but I am studying to improve my English everyday!
Profile picture for user Caterina Siligardi

Submitted by Caterina Siligardi on Tue, 03/09/2019 - 18:30

Those conversations are still a little difficult for my comprehension . I Understand generally,not every steps. I need to do more exercise of listening. But I'll stay tuned.Never I'll get to leave my studying ! See you soon.

Submitted by abbas12 on Wed, 21/08/2019 - 10:20

hello, my name is Abbas, i am very happy to English at British English council.

Submitted by anisacantik on Wed, 21/08/2019 - 07:52

Because the room was filled with people taking photographs of it!

Submitted by César Árraga on Sat, 13/07/2019 - 04:21

Yes, I had a similar conversation that the first, I was applying for a job and, in the end of the psychological interview, the interviewer told me that the results of the candidates moving on to next stage will send for email in 2 weeks aproximately. Some new phrases that I learned: let's see, what do you mean?, it's very nice to meet you, etc.

Submitted by MikhailNatalenko on Fri, 21/06/2019 - 21:03

Hello. I've got a question about Task B. "Woman: Yes, but you can't use flash...?" Why didn't she use an article before the "flash"? Oxford dictionary says that it's a countable noun.

Hello MikhailNatalenko,

I think the reason 'flash' has no article is that the woman is using it as an abbreviated form of 'flash photography'. Normally we would say 'you can't use your flash' or 'you can't use your camera's flash'.

Profile picture for user mtalebi

Submitted by mtalebi on Sun, 12/05/2019 - 18:09