A business interview

Listen to the business interview to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Presenter: Welcome to today's show. We're very happy to have Anna Oliveira as our guest today. Anna is the creator and founder of HomeworX – spelled with an 'x' we should note – an app which helps teenagers with their homework. Thanks for coming in, Anna.

Anna: Thanks for having me.

Presenter: So, tell us about your app. How does it work?

Anna: Well, teenagers and their parents have numerous challenges when it comes to homework these days. In many families both parents work and don't have much available time to help their kids with their homework. And even if they do have time to help, they may not be able to offer support with the content. What I mean is, they may not know, or at least remember, enough in any given subject to support.

Presenter: You mean they might not be able to remember complex maths or might have never studied certain subjects, such as biology or economics, themselves?

Anna: Exactly. So they might want to support their children with their homework, but have neither the time nor the knowledge to do so.

Presenter: I see. So the app helps solve this problem?

Anna: Yes, and more. The next issue is that tutors can be expensive, and there may be long waiting lists for specialist tutors in the town or region you live in. Our HomeworX app brings students and tutors together online. Students can search a database of pre-approved tutors and sign up for live online support. They don't need to be in the same town or city.

Presenter: That sounds really great.

Anna: It is. And this approach also enables us to offer the tutoring services at lower prices because there's no travelling time involved for the tutor to get to the student's home. And tutors who live in remote areas are happy to get access to more students, and be able to work from home, even at lower rates.

Presenter: This all sounds great. So, how did you come up with the idea?

Anna: Well, as you might guess, I was one of those parents I described earlier. I really wanted to help my son with his homework, but I was either too busy with work or I didn't actually know anything about the subjects he was having difficulty with. Also, we live in an area where there aren't many tutors and the ones that are there are either very expensive or have long waiting lists.

Presenter: Yes. I can understand your predicament. Well, it sounds like a very useful app that is clearly meeting a need. And its popularity obviously speaks for itself.

Anna: Thank you.

Presenter: So, do you have plans for the future?

Anna: We've just secured some funding and hope to expand the range of services we offer using the app.

Presenter: We wish you the best of luck. Thanks again for coming in. That was Anna Oliveira, founder of the tutoring app HomeworX (with an 'x', don't forget!), which is available for both Apple and Android devices. Join us again next week for another business interview. Have a great week, everyone.

Submitted by ceehinh on Mon, 22/11/2021 - 10:23

What's your favorite app for learning and why?
Personally, I feel it's difficult to absorb knowledge from school because it's boring and I have a short memory. so I have looked into numerous apps. And an app that is about learning Ielts vocabulary is useful, it's IELTS Vocabulary. For me, the app will help you learn vocabulary in an amenity way. When it uses space repetition method and vocabulary which is common vocab in IELTS. I am used to learning the app for 1 hour a day. It's particularly useful for me.

Submitted by Grace on Tue, 26/10/2021 - 22:08

I don't have any app to learn English because In my opinion, the best way to learn a language is in a schoolar academy. what I mean is depend of the level you want to have for that language. So, anyone can learn the way they considerer are the best for them.

Submitted by danielbacelar on Fri, 22/10/2021 - 00:44

My favorites apps for learning are:
- Lexilize Flashcards (for memorize words, conjunctions and expressions);
- Google Podcast and Bibo English Listening (for listening training);

My huge difficulty is listening, this disturbs me in the conversation.

Submitted by Tinelli on Wed, 20/10/2021 - 18:22

My favorite app for learning is Anki - a software that, through flashcards, helps you not forget anything. The main reason for my decision is because of what I've just said - through algorithms, Anki sets up your revisions about certain content on the right day. For instance, if you have added a flashcard about the Roman Empire but you didn't remember much about it, then Anki is going to bring it back to you soon. On the other hand, if you have added a flashcard about the U.S history and it was easy to remember, then Anki won’t bring it back really soon. Therefore, I recommend for anyone try Anki, whether you are studying History in high school or studying Economics in college.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Sun, 10/10/2021 - 15:33

I'm not learning English on any app. I learn from a website name British council.

Submitted by _louixwtt on Sat, 09/10/2021 - 00:57

When it comes to learning a foreign language, what make an app useful for me, it has to be competent and has a compelling teaching method, for instance, Busuu is usually being used nowadays. For others sort of stuffs is completely rare myself just pick one up, since I am freak for amassing apps.

Submitted by monaaltyyar on Tue, 28/09/2021 - 08:16

in current days, I'm practicing and improving my english language by cambly application. whetever, I uesd alot of applications but i didn't benefit and notice any progress except cambly app, its cost the lowest fund and consist of specailist tutors and native speaker . in my opinion , it is sucessful project for who concern in english

Submitted by mahmoudrahaf on Sun, 26/09/2021 - 14:57

After completing this lesson, how can i move to the next lesson?

Hello mahmoudrahaf,

The pages in our Skills section are not presented in any order and are instead in a list, as if they were on a bookshelf in a library. If you want to continue practising your listening skills, I'd recommend going back to the B2 listening page to choose another page.

You could also move to the Reading or Writing sections to try a lesson there as well.

Our subscribers have access to our courses, which are arranged in a particular order and where your progress is tracked.

Submitted by Javier Antonio Seco on Tue, 07/09/2021 - 12:39

Hello All, At the moment I am working hard to improve my English speaking skills so I am using an app called elsa. This app is helpful for this goal. I really enjoy using it ,even though I got frustrated when I can't get the perfect sound

Submitted by gdinunzio on Sat, 04/09/2021 - 10:59

I gave some try with babbel and duolingo but they didn't fit well to me. Then I have found out BBC learning english that is more effective. Last year I often used the learning website globalenglish, which is useful for professional and business workers. Now I've just signed up the british council subscription. It seem to me similar to globalenglish.

Submitted by Paula Bermúdez… on Fri, 20/08/2021 - 14:59

These days I have used a lot of learning apps due to the virtual approach. However, I always practice with language apps because I would like to improve my English and German. So, I use apps such, Duolingo, Movie Method or Ewa (they're really good).

Submitted by Abrarhussain on Tue, 17/08/2021 - 23:55

My favourite app is BBC bitesize for learning because , this app is worldwide and easy for me to build and improve my existing knowledge.

Submitted by GiulianaAndy on Thu, 08/07/2021 - 20:40

Actually, I have a lot of different apps for learning. I recently downloaded a new app which is called Freedom; it is very useful because it blocks some apps which are very distracting such as Whatsapp, Messenger, etc for a period of time. I mean you can choose the apps you want to get blocked and how many hours you want the app to block other distracting apps and it will do it for you; permitting you to focus on your homeworks or whatever you need to do for a period of time. On the other hand, I have Kahoot app which is one of my favorites. It permits you to look for a topic and choose a quiz of the topic that you looked for on the app. Personally, I think it is pretty useful. However, sometimes you cannot find the quiz that you want to get. Finally, the others apps and websites that I use for improving my English skills are: British Council, Cake app, TOEFL listening and grammar quiz. They have been helping me a lot since I started to study English

Submitted by jonancbr on Fri, 02/07/2021 - 15:08

I don't have a favorite app to learn, I tried duolingo, and some from learnnenglish, but I lost interest because I didn't get any additional feedback with my progress, it's difficult and now I'm dealing with tutor interaction to find these specific feedback. In my case I had problems with the skill to listen and I did not find an application with this theme, the lyricstrainning are very good, but it does not provide any specific comment for you.

Submitted by italfredo on Fri, 23/04/2021 - 22:18

I don't actually use any app to learn English. I've tried some apps for a couple of days, but without success. I rather like working at my computer.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Tue, 20/04/2021 - 07:57

I don't use any app but I use website such as British Council and Basic English speaking. I like this website. It help me lot since sixth month. So I very grateful to this website. It's a good for everyone to visit the website and solve and doing exercises.

Hello Suraj paliwal,

We're so glad to hear this! Thanks for letting us know and keep up the good work!

Best wishes,

Submitted by jeison0894 on Mon, 05/04/2021 - 15:54

I used to practice and learn English with many applications such as hellotalk, duolingo or cake but I found a best learning method that fits perfectly with my tastes and methodologies and it's by watching videos on youtube.
I watch movies with subtitles in English to listen and read at the same time, but to be honest writing is the skill I have more troubles with. I guess is for the lack of practice.

Submitted by Frank Cuello on Sun, 04/04/2021 - 01:00

I have enthusiasm on learning to play the keyboard. Easy Piano is an app that has been very helpful with this desire of learning to play a musical instrument.

Submitted by RazielJose on Sun, 28/03/2021 - 02:39

I don´t know many apps to learn by my self, but if I need to chose one I will chose Duolingo to learn about languages.

Submitted by German on Fri, 26/03/2021 - 01:24

I used to have apps on my phone for learning languages like Busuu, British Council, English Listening and others. Now actually I don´t use those apps and I prefer to learn with another ways. There are manyapps in the market but I think that each one must think and check what is it want to learn and search and choose the better option

Submitted by cassiamattos2013 on Mon, 22/03/2021 - 10:35

Well, I have some difficulty to learn on line. But I'm trying to user the LearnEnglish plataform.

Submitted by angeloptrp on Sat, 13/03/2021 - 06:19

Great idea to come up with this kind of website. It's really helpful. Thank you. Cheers!

Submitted by ABRAHAM EMMANUEL on Thu, 25/02/2021 - 21:41

I like to use "meet up" it is an great app which help you to meet people form everywhere and discuss different topics... I really recomend it to you

Submitted by Ulbester on Wed, 24/02/2021 - 05:43

This page is helping me to improve a lot my English level thank you

Hello Ulbester,

We're very happy to hear this -- thanks very much for letting us know!

Submitted by cittàutopica on Sun, 14/02/2021 - 18:09

I like learning foreign languages; I've studied French at school, I've learnt English since some years and I'm learning German now, but I don't use any app, because I prefer grammar books and sites as learninglish.

Submitted by marlio96 on Sun, 31/01/2021 - 18:46

Currently, I am studying for taking the IELTS test, so I use the Prep IELTS app and IELTS 9 BAND to prepare myself for the exam. I like these apps but I think that there must be more apps especially free due to all these have to be paid for.

Submitted by Karen Aguilar on Mon, 25/01/2021 - 23:10

my favorite app for improving my listening skill is lyrics training, I can practice this skill but also getting new vocabulary.
Hi!, I agree, i think it's the best app to learn new vocabulary with your favorite music... and of course, you also practice listening and speaking... i love it!

Submitted by El Cuy Mágico on Mon, 25/01/2021 - 21:18

I used to use two apps for learning English. First I used Spotify, I know its specially for listening music but I found a podcast where the host read a short story slowly, this podcast offered a text as well. Then I could read as I listened. I also used to use Anki in my phone, it helped me to remember some words.

Submitted by ceryan41 on Tue, 19/01/2021 - 10:04

Predicament is very insteresting word which means If you are in a predicament, you are in an unpleasant situation that is difficult to get out of.

Submitted by Blue Sky 2021 on Fri, 08/01/2021 - 17:35

I love any app full of useful exercises and tests, which can help to improve my bits of knowledge and skills.

Submitted by Zhasulan on Tue, 05/01/2021 - 15:24

Hello everyone. My favourite educational app is lecturio for medical students.Because I am a student of Medical University from Kazakhstan and I study in the Kazakh.The lecturio app there are famous of profession with a lot of experience and a lot ofthings to learn.

Submitted by Layria on Sat, 02/01/2021 - 21:03

At this moment my favourite app for learning is Busuu. I´m studying french and it is really easy to use and helps me to improve vocabulary because some colleagues from all over the world can correct your mistakes.

Submitted by sonlenfq on Sat, 02/01/2021 - 01:09

I'm a big fan of the English conversion app. It's helping me learn English everday.

Submitted by Diogo1606 on Sat, 02/01/2021 - 00:52

Well, I can say my favorite app for learning English is Duolingo. It helps you starting from the very basics 'til the most complex activities. Every activity you complete grant you some xp, that puts you in a rank with another students, so it's almost like a game. The app still has short stories for you to train your listening.

Submitted by Saad786 on Fri, 01/01/2021 - 12:44

My favorite app or website for learning is ilmkidunya , it is very helpful for me. I can understand all my subjects on it. The teachers give understandable lectures which not only makes us memories our topic but also improves our human intellect.

Submitted by Saad786 on Wed, 30/12/2020 - 15:44

The most successful app or website I founded for learning English is British council. I am really improving my English.

Submitted by simonenmourao on Tue, 22/12/2020 - 20:29

Good afternoon! At this phrase: "So the app helps solve this problem?", grammatically, there should be "to" between the verbs "help" and "solve" or the second verb to be in the Present Continuous?

Hello simonenmourao,

'Help' can be followed with the infinitive with or without 'to':

help someone do something

help someone to do something

Thus, both options are possible. However, I don't think we would use a participle ('solving') here.

Submitted by lavande1983 on Sun, 20/12/2020 - 21:14

Now, I don't use any apps for learning english, beaucause i dont feel comfortable with small screen of iphone. I prefer learning english with computer so my favorite website is british coucil learning english. Big avantage of learning english on smart phone is that you can learn english every where in your spare time, in public transport. now for learning english i try to watch TV, english movies and use bbc learning english or bristish coucil learning english website, i use only my smartphone for dictionary . I read your comments, Thanks for your suggestions of some useful apps , perhaps , i will use them

Submitted by Muna77 on Fri, 11/12/2020 - 20:57

Hi, As general l think English class101.com And British Council is most effective apps for learning English

Submitted by nanolakes on Sun, 06/12/2020 - 20:52

Hi everyone!!! I hope you are well. There are lots of apps but the one I like it is Word Power IELTS. I recommend this app.

Submitted by Asni on Thu, 19/11/2020 - 21:58

I've got installed some useful apps for learning English on my phone and tablet. Apps for learning English idioms, phrasal verbs, short stories in English, vocabulary, etc...I find them very practical and useful because I have my phone wherever I go. When I'm in the car, especially, for trips that last more than one hour, they are my way of entertainment. I must confess that I don't have the good habit of reading books, so in such situations, I just open some app and start learning some new words or expressions, which, I think, is a great way to avoid wasting time or getting bored.