A thank-you message

Learn how to write a thank-you message to a colleague.

Reading text

From: Paco
To: Maria
Subject: Thanks

Hi Maria,

I hope you're well.

I'm just writing to say thanks for your help on the project last month. We really appreciate you stepping in to support us. I know you had to put in extra hours to catch up on your own work, so thank you very much.

Your expertise was vital for this project and we couldn't have finished it successfully without you. You really helped us and we hope to work with you again on future projects.

I'll be in touch again soon about possible future collaborations. I look forward to working with you more closely this year.

Paco

Tips

1. Start with a friendly comment:
    I hope you're well.
  2. It's usually best to use an informal style with colleagues:
    Hi Maria, …
    Thanks for your help.
  3. Keep it short.
  4. Mention the good work they did and the positive effect of it:
    Your expertise was vital for this project.
    We couldn't have finished it successfully without your help.
  5. End with a positive comment about future collaboration:
    I hope to work with you more closely in future.
    I look forward to working with you again.
Do you need to improve your English writing skills?
Join thousands of learners from around the world who are improving their English writing skills with our live online classes and personal tutoring courses.

Roles

• anonymous user role (no expiration)

Submitted by Zhansaya (not verified) on Thu, 02/04/2020 - 09:27

From: Zhansaya To:Kirk ( The LearnEnglish Team) Subject: Thanks Hi Kirk, I hope you're well. I'm just writing to say thanks for your help on the LearnEnglish Website. I really appreciate your helping and supporting for students who learns English, so thank you very much. Your expertise and tips in the area of English really helpful for us and I believe that your work will be help for many students in the future. I'll be pleased if you're will answer to my message.I look forward wait to your answer. All the best, Zhansaya

Hello Zhansaya

Thanks for your comment! Even though all of us at the British Council are happy to be able to help and support students like you, it's always nice to get messages like yours.

Take care and stay safe!

All the best

Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Submitted by Magedelabd on Wed, 18/03/2020 - 16:50

Nowadays in my country I haven't seen anyone help the others. Thr people became so bad.
Profile picture for user Nikolaos Stavrianakis

Submitted by Nikolaos Stavr… on Sun, 15/03/2020 - 14:31

Hello Kirk, sorry to bother you again I just read this sentence below '' Cannes Festival President: "We'll Cancel" if Coronavirus Situation Doesn't Improve'' Because this situation is changing why is it not using present continuous? All the best Nikolaos

Hello Nikolaos

It's because it's a conditional sentence. The condition for the Cannes festival being canceled is a situation in which the Coronavirus situation has not improved. That condition is not a changing condition, it is a condition that has improved or has not (otherwise, how can you make a decision to cancel or not?) and so a continuous form expressing change doesn't make sense here.

Please note that it is possible to use a continuous form in conditional sentences (e.g. 'If he's coming to the party, I'm staying home' -- here the present continuous expresses future plans), but a continuous form in the headline you asked about just doesn't express the right meaning.

All the best

Profile picture for user Nikolaos Stavrianakis

Submitted by Nikolaos Stavr… on Sun, 15/03/2020 - 12:20

Hello Kirk, could you help me with this question? please Which one of these sentences below is correct, and why? 1. My aunt's health isn't improving after her operation, unfortunately. 2. My aunt's health doesn't improve after her operation, unfortunately. Thank you Nikolaos

Hello Nikolaos

The first sentence is the correct one. Since we are speaking about a situation that is changing, our aunt's changing health, we use a continuous verb form: the present continuous.

All the best

Submitted by jazmin marquez on Fri, 06/03/2020 - 12:15

Dear students, I hope you are well. I am writing this email to thank you for your support during this important and difficult process. We could not have done this real without all of you. You really helped us with your patience and ideas. Remember that students are the most important part of the educational process, therefore, we look forward to working with you next year. I will contact you again for your enrollment, so that we have everything ready and can start the school year without problems. Finally, I hope you have a wonderful vacation and see you soon. All the best, Jasmine.

Submitted by Elius Hossain on Mon, 24/02/2020 - 10:50

Hello Professor, I am writing this mail to say thanks for your remarkable recommendation for our project. It could be really tough without your directions. We completed our work smoothly after applying your strategies. Now, It works nicely. Your expertise helps us to increase our thinking capability. We will use it on our upcoming projects. I hope you will help us on future projects. Thanks again. Sincerely, Elius

Submitted by conejo on Mon, 17/02/2020 - 00:34

I send a thank-you message to my Team after each group meeting because we have a Lot of projects and the goals depend of every person of the team.

Submitted by hungrymoon on Tue, 14/01/2020 - 08:51

Hi British Council Team, I hope you are well. I would like to thank you for your effort me to learn how to write an effective English. It was very useful to make practice on this website, and without your help I couldn't have learned to write a thank-you message. Also, I am planning to study hard on your other courses. Thus It will be really considerable to have a high score from Toefl at all. Regards. Selman.

Hello hungrymoon

You're very welcome -- best of luck with your studies and on your TOEFL exam! You might also want to consider some of our free courses on FutureLearn. Even though many are specifically about the IELTS, you might find them useful.

All the best

Submitted by cittàutopica on Mon, 28/10/2019 - 18:31

I usually work alone, but there are some projects which involve a working group. In these case we work together and we help one another. Therefore we needn't to thank reciprocally. In other circumstances however I needed help about an assignment which required domain expertise: in these case I thanked the colleague who helped me.

Submitted by gicandrade on Wed, 23/10/2019 - 09:39

Hi peter, I hope you’re well. At first time, I’m so glad to have worked with you. Your expertise was fundamental for this project. Really thank. Your dedication for this project brought to us a new air and new perspective. That’s what we needed. Thank to step and support us. I’ll be in touch again soon about our next work. I look forward to working with you more closely this year. All the best,
Profile picture for user Steve Zarv

Submitted by Steve Zarv on Fri, 30/08/2019 - 19:09

From: Steven To: Bea Subject: Thanks Hi Bea, I hope things are well there. The purpose of this written is because I wanted to thank you for your support as our teacher throughout this month. Although we had our differences I'm placed that you've tried to sort every problem out in a charismatic way without losing your aim in the role as teacher. The patience you had with each of us made us to realize that you were different than the other teachers, that more than wanted us to learn you wanted to make us to feel comfortable in your classes as opening up with us, even if it could take some of your time. I hope this is not a farewell, and I look forward to be able to chat with you every now and then. Best wishes, Steven.
Profile picture for user r0000ma

Submitted by r0000ma on Sun, 18/08/2019 - 03:28

i want to develop my writing through write text to my teacher here how can i ? :(

Hello r0000ma

I think the best thing would be to ask your teacher for help. You are welcome to write practice messages here if you'd like to, but I'm afraid we aren't able to offer feedback on your texts.

All the best

Submitted by popo1011 on Sun, 14/07/2019 - 08:54

I value my collegiate because He helps me with the new project. If he wasnot, I couldn't accomplish my work. His skills and expertise are crucial for me and our project. Whatever I acknowledged him.

Submitted by gayrat-arapov on Sat, 29/06/2019 - 08:21

i tried doing some of them and i find it very useful.

Submitted by barno.egamberdieva on Thu, 27/06/2019 - 10:13

Thank u for interesting and usefull text

Submitted by dw3222 on Sat, 25/05/2019 - 12:15

In sentence ' Your expertise was vital for this project and we couldn't have finished it successfully without you. ' Couldn't we eliminated 'have' and say? Your expertise was vital for this project and we couldn't finished it successfully without you
Hello dw3222 No, I'm afraid that wouldn't be correct. You can read more about modals with 'have' and a past participle on https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/english-grammar-reference/modals-have-0 and more about this use of 'couldn't have' in the Possibility and impossibility section of https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/english-grammar-reference/can-and-could . I think those explanations should help you understand this, but if you have any other questions about this, please don't hesitate! All the best Kirk The LearnEnglish Team

Submitted by smell08 on Thu, 16/05/2019 - 10:55

since April 2019, My colleuge is substituing me by end of June. So, I'm just wrting to say thanks for his help on my work. I really appreciate he handed in assignments instead of me. I have known he have been busy without my assignments. He has been putting in extra hours to catch up on his own work, so thank you very much. His expertise has been vital for my job and other people couldn't finished my job without him or me. He reaaly helped us and I hope to work with him again on July. I'll be in touch again soon about possible future collaborations. I look forward to working with hime more closely this year. All the best

Submitted by Azzarine on Thu, 14/03/2019 - 08:02

I'm not sure when was the last time, but it's a normal thing in my work to spread our gratefull like Paco and Maria in the mail. Just a "thank tou for your work" is merely enough.

Submitted by Viethuynh217 on Sat, 02/03/2019 - 10:49

I can not remember exactly when was the last time I thanked a colleague for something but I really appreciated all the help my best friend gave me. This means a lot to me.

Submitted by Eveline on Thu, 21/02/2019 - 13:27

Very useful and interesting topic, thatks a lot
Profile picture for user JORGE E VELASQUEZ

Submitted by JORGE E VELASQUEZ on Tue, 19/02/2019 - 02:07

Very practical and interesting text

Submitted by bat900 on Mon, 18/02/2019 - 21:45

I don't remebmer the last time I have tanked a collegue because now I am at rest

Submitted by Migue_Quinteros on Mon, 18/02/2019 - 16:31