Booking a table

Listen to someone booking a table in a restaurant to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Staff: Hello, Gino's.

Jamie: Hi. Can I book a table for tomorrow night, please?

Staff: How many people is it for?

Jamie: Four.

Staff: And what time would you like?

Jamie: About eight, eight thirty maybe?

Staff: Let's see ... We're pretty busy tomorrow, so I can do half past seven or nine.

Jamie: Oh. OK, then. Half seven, please.

Staff: What name is it?

Jamie: Jamie.

Staff: J-A- ...?

Jamie: M-I-E

Staff: OK, so that's a table for four at half past seven tomorrow evening.

Jamie: Great. Thanks! Bye.

Staff: Bye.

Staff: Hello, Gino's.

Jamie: Hi, I called earlier to book a table for four and I was wondering if I can make it for six instead?

Staff: Ah, what name was it?

Jamie: It's Jamie.

Staff: Table for four at half past seven. So you want to change it to 6 o'clock?

Jamie: No, sorry. Can I make it for six people?

Staff: Oh, I see. Sorry! That shouldn't be a problem. I can move you to a bigger table but it will be nearer the kitchen. Is that OK?

Jamie: No problem. Is it possible to change the time as well? Make it a little bit later?

Staff: Ah ... yeah, we can. Is eight OK for you?

Jamie: Perfect, thanks!

Staff: Lovely. See you tomorrow, then.

Jamie: Thanks! Bye!

Staff: Thanks. Ciao!

Submitted by dylanharris on Mon, 29/11/2021 - 09:20

I'm Vietnamese and I love our food very much, so I like to eat in a Vietnamese restaurant with lots of traditional foods.

Submitted by Alaa Eldin Ade… on Wed, 10/11/2021 - 18:42

My favourite kind of restaurants is pizza.

Submitted by ema sab on Fri, 05/11/2021 - 21:36

I love traditional Egyptian food restaurants

Submitted by Ehsan on Tue, 02/11/2021 - 09:53

I would like to try all restaurants, and all kind of foods.

Submitted by LamVanPhuong on Mon, 01/11/2021 - 13:29

it's a nice restaurant with a good view and delicious foods

Submitted by metacaro90 on Sat, 30/10/2021 - 03:16

My favourite kind of restaurant is the Italian food, it's delicious and wonderful, I love it.

Submitted by Karol28 on Mon, 25/10/2021 - 01:52

i love mexican restaurant and Italian

Submitted by KyawMinThu on Sat, 23/10/2021 - 10:25

I prefer Burmese Restaurant. Burmese foods are simple and delicious.
Butter rice and pork curry is my favorite one in Burmese Food.

Submitted by Kamelbenslimane on Wed, 20/10/2021 - 20:19

I prefer traditional restaurant

Submitted by angelomr on Tue, 19/10/2021 - 17:23

My favorite restaurant is where there are foods. LOL

Submitted by Moses Habarugira on Tue, 19/10/2021 - 08:21

On préparation task, only three line can be opened.

Hello Moses Habarugira,

I'm sorry you've had trouble completing the task. I've checked it and it worked for me.

When you want to add another sentence to a group, you have to click or press on the small white hand at the side of the words already in the box. If you don't do this, then the new words will stay but the old words will disappear from the box.

It's a little difficult to explain, so please let me know if you'd like me to explain it again.

Thank you very much for reply.
Now it works but it's impossible to move any line in order to put in its order.
How can I do it?

Submitted by MartaGali on Mon, 18/10/2021 - 16:27

My favorite kind of restaurant is a quiet one with good food.

Submitted by Fabiana dos Sa… on Fri, 15/10/2021 - 20:19

My restaurant favorite is japenese food

Submitted by Laura123 on Wed, 13/10/2021 - 07:27

My favourite restaurant is a typical Spanish one, where tradicional food is seved.

Submitted by vuhoap on Mon, 11/10/2021 - 14:35

I rarely go to restaurant. When i was child, my family always ate together at home. Until now, even though I live far from home, I still keep the habit of eating at my room.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Mon, 04/10/2021 - 10:10

My favourite restaurant is indian restaurant.

Submitted by Alexis Jara on Mon, 04/10/2021 - 08:20

I live in Callao, Perú. The food is very delicious in any restaurant here

Submitted by Minnu on Wed, 15/09/2021 - 09:55

I don’t have any favourite kind of restaurant and I love to eat all kind of foods but I’m not a foodie person.Although I like Arabic food bit more. . However I only eat from a restaurant once in a blue moon because I try to incorporate homemade food into my diet because of health concern.

Submitted by slimanes74 on Thu, 02/09/2021 - 17:18

I like to prepare my personal Algerian food

Submitted by FGOUAJEU on Thu, 19/08/2021 - 16:05

My favourite kind of restaurant is Japanese restaurant

Submitted by Bmorales on Wed, 18/08/2021 - 03:11

Oh, I love Venezuelan food because it is tropical, innovative and varied, that is definitive

Submitted by YinLiXing on Wed, 04/08/2021 - 09:54

Chinese restaurant is my favorite kind of restaurant.

Submitted by KATIELLE RAIAN… on Mon, 05/07/2021 - 15:40

My favorite restaurants are Brazilian and Italian.

Submitted by saeedebrahimip on Sat, 12/06/2021 - 11:56

I'd love to go to the Iranian restaurants because they are originality.
Hello Saeed Did you eat in Iranian restaurants? Did you test Kebab and Daisy ?? They are greasy but delicious.

Submitted by Munirah Saad 20 on Sun, 02/05/2021 - 22:59

my favorite kind of restaurant are Indian and Italian food

Submitted by Geydibayona07 on Mon, 12/04/2021 - 21:10

I love all Colombian food, it is very tasty. sometimes I like to eat pasta in italian restaurants, I love pasta because I can add cheese.

Submitted by PuenteD on Sun, 11/04/2021 - 17:02

I love food and eat, so i don't have any favourite, but I don't like industrial drinks...

Submitted by Andrea Valencia on Thu, 01/04/2021 - 22:56

The Italian restaurant is my favorite restaurant. I love the French restaurant too.

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Wed, 31/03/2021 - 13:12

I rarely eat out due to ..... ;X I can cook up like a chef. ;)

Submitted by Trang.22111994 on Wed, 31/03/2021 - 06:21

My favourite restaurant is "Baoz". I often go to that dimsum restaurant once a month with my husband. The tasty is very good and the price too.

Submitted by Nader Ahmed on Sat, 27/03/2021 - 13:15

My favorite restaurant is the sea gul restaurant for seafood and Hany Elgarary for Arabic food.

Submitted by erum on Sat, 27/03/2021 - 05:53

Hello Everyone. My favourite kind of restaurant is the clean restaurant where you can sit easily and happily. I like those restaurants where staff is friendly, helpful and cooperative. Thank you.

Submitted by sanazmajidi on Wed, 24/03/2021 - 09:30

I don't have the exact favorite restaurant but I prefer Iranian foods or something spicy like Indian or Mexican. I love them. but sometimes I feel to eat Italian food especially types of pastas.

Submitted by tvkien on Wed, 24/03/2021 - 02:37

Not much, I don't go to the restaurant much because I like to make food at home. But sometimes, I and my wife go to the restaurant seafood buffet for the event

Submitted by feyarita on Tue, 23/03/2021 - 15:16

My favorite restaurant is home made restaurant.

Submitted by DarwinM on Tue, 16/03/2021 - 23:16

My favourite kind of restaurants are chifas and coastal ones because I really love shrimps, ceviche, chop suey and chaulafan, for example.

Submitted by Minh on Tue, 16/03/2021 - 16:45

Well. I'm originally from Viet Nam, so my favorite is traditional Viet Nam meal. Therefore, I always take my family to the Vietnamese restaurant. On the other hand, all kind of cuisines in my country is well known in the world. Most of tourists are keen on tasting them. That is reason why I proudly say to my country. Moreover, we have a number of fabulous sightseeing which are extremely in the world. If you come there one time, I ensure that you are never forget about my country. It is a amazing place which is worth for traveling.

Submitted by MikhailZatopliaev on Mon, 15/03/2021 - 21:55

My favorite restrain is Mama Roma. It is Italian food. I like paste, It is so delicious.

Submitted by Marce-English on Wed, 10/03/2021 - 19:02

My favourite restaurant is Chinese food, but I prefer my type of food which is Ecuadorian, I have been to many countries and I have tried many delicious dishes and I have not found anything similar.

Submitted by Giuliana on Mon, 08/03/2021 - 02:43

Honestly I don't have a favourite type of restaurant because i don't go a lot of restaurants but i like to go a restaurants when are homemade food and are vegetarian food ('cause i'm vegatarian). Also I like a restaurants when there are a beautiful, comfortable and good service!

Submitted by TIa vinaka on Mon, 08/03/2021 - 02:14

I can't choose my favorite restaurant because I like a lot of type of food. I like restaurants which serve tasty meals and have good atmosphere.

Submitted by victor.07 on Sat, 06/03/2021 - 13:03

I like Peruvian restaurant

Submitted by mirtha on Thu, 04/03/2021 - 20:33

My favourite kind of restaurant are All you can eat and Buffet.

Submitted by Dandara Silva on Wed, 03/03/2021 - 20:57

my favorite kind of restaurant is steak-house. I love barbecue.

Submitted by Alberto on Sun, 28/02/2021 - 09:05

I from Mexico and i love roast beff tacos with some beer, its really delicius