Business cards

Listen to four people talk about their jobs to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

A

A: Hello, Doctor Miller. It's nice to meet you.

B: Please call me Peter.

A: OK. Are you a medical doctor? It must be helpful when you sell medical equipment.

B: Actually, no. My doctorate was in electronic engineering, but it's still helpful for me when I sell our equipment.

B

Good morning, everyone. I'm happy to be here today to tell you about our new project. My name is Alessandro Rossi. I'm the project leader on the Starlight programming project.

C

Pleased to meet you. Here's my card. My real name is Megumi Tanaka, but people who are not from my country think it's difficult to say my name, so I use another name, Meg, when I'm working internationally.

D

Hello, everyone. My name's Andres Mulligan. I'm very happy to be joining this team for the next few months and learning more about research and development.

Reading text

DX Medical Equipment Ltd
Dr Peter Miller
Sales Director

*Space10 Designs*
Alessandro Rossi
Lead Programmer

Global Engineering Consults
Megumi Tanaka
Product Manager

MaXtin Ltd
Andres Mulligan Jr
Intern, R&D team
Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Submitted by Vidyasagar on Wed, 05/02/2020 - 03:39

Business cards have person's name, his profession, contact number and his professional address.

Submitted by Charaf on Sun, 05/01/2020 - 15:21

hi My business card contains all the data of the person who holds it.

Submitted by Lysa on Thu, 26/12/2019 - 20:35

Hi; the business card in my country contains numerous informations regarding the exercised business namely : name, the mission, phone number, fax, email, full address.

Submitted by shahhoseini on Mon, 16/12/2019 - 13:23

In my country, there are some information on bussiness card such as: first name, last name, jop title and phone number.

Submitted by Jamie on Wed, 11/12/2019 - 12:51

Someone can tell me how to do the reading text after the transcript

Hello Jamie

The reading text shows you the text on these four people's business cards. We are working to make them look more like business cards, but I'm afraid for now this is the way they look.

It would be good to compare what the business cards say to what the speakers say in the audio -- sometimes they provide more information. You need the reading text to answer some of the questions in the tasks.

All the best

Submitted by Marwa Adel on Fri, 06/12/2019 - 01:17

In task 1 I think the answer here should be (true), isn't it? Megumi thinks her real name is difficult to say
Profile picture for user Kirk

Submitted by Kirk on Sat, 07/12/2019 - 13:10

In reply to by Marwa Adel

Hello Marwa

Megumi says that other people find it difficult to say her name, but she doesn't think that herself. It's a small difference, but the way she says it, it is false.

All the best

Submitted by elit.sw on Tue, 26/11/2019 - 14:00

the main title is the business name, Then some information and examples of their work and the contact information at the end.

Submitted by Dariusz on Wed, 20/11/2019 - 23:42

In my country on business card people have information like: name, last name, job and contact.

Submitted by subedi sweety on Tue, 12/11/2019 - 10:33

Well, the business cards which is used in my country have the several details alike most of the other country's card such as their name, credit card number, expiry date, their job position, phone number and not to mention the bank name and sometime their email address.

Submitted by Izzati Saufie on Thu, 03/10/2019 - 14:09

I have completed the lesson for "Business Card". The level I chose is Beginner A1

Submitted by nurnadiahazlan on Thu, 03/10/2019 - 10:25

I have completed the lesson for "Business Cards". The level I chose is Beginner A1.

Submitted by nurul ashikin on Thu, 03/10/2019 - 07:25

Submitted by Abdelmouttalib on Thu, 26/09/2019 - 11:57

In my country, people have in their business cards: their full names, task, name and address of company, logo of company, number phone.

Submitted by NUR SYAMIERA Z… on Thu, 26/09/2019 - 02:22

I have completed the following lesson Business card. The level that I choose is beginner

Submitted by Syazwin Yusriman on Thu, 26/09/2019 - 02:15

I have completed the task beginner A1 business card

Submitted by BanaVan on Sun, 08/09/2019 - 15:34

In Our country the business card have many form, but mostly form I often shaw there are : Full name, position of that person, Name of company, Adress of company, Phone number therefor about Telephone, mobiphone ... and email adress
Profile picture for user Jamilmakawi

Submitted by Jamilmakawi on Mon, 26/08/2019 - 11:50

Well, the business cards all over the world have the same details which are the person's name, the credit card number, the expiry date, the three numbers at the back of the card, not to mention the bank name.

Submitted by fariba on Sun, 25/08/2019 - 08:31

there are full name and their job and number of nationality in the business cards .

Submitted by bawk san aung on Fri, 23/08/2019 - 16:41

My short term memory is still being weak. Even four names could not enter to my brain. I am true just only 2 from task two.
Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Submitted by Magedelabd on Sat, 17/08/2019 - 17:41

what we have in our business card in our country is as following , first name , family name , the position , the company name , then the contact details , like the phone number and the email address and finally the company logo.

Submitted by Longan1991 on Fri, 16/08/2019 - 05:10

Whẹn businessmen mệt and exchange, they often give a business card to contact. In my country, a business card comprises information such as name, position, field, work place, address, phone number. In my opinion, it is useful and convenient for us to use the card,
Profile picture for user shahramuteng

Submitted by shahramuteng on Wed, 14/08/2019 - 20:51

business people use emotion, emoji and graphic images on their business cards, and don't give any personal information!! it's was joking!! similar to other world countries some personal and company information will have on a business card. such as person and company name, phone number, Email, etc.
Profile picture for user shinhaphura

Submitted by shinhaphura on Tue, 13/08/2019 - 10:09

I think it should has some basic information, such as: full name, position, email, phone number, company's name and address, something like that, ;)

Submitted by Toanrt on Fri, 02/08/2019 - 09:55

Name Major in Address And phone numbers

Submitted by samreenmkhan on Tue, 30/07/2019 - 10:21

I think bussiness cards have same information all around the world and the information on the cards is not different as it has Person's full name their phone number,email address, company name,official telephone number and their dasignation.

Submitted by jdevera21 on Tue, 30/07/2019 - 08:52

Which information do people have on their business cards in your country? In our country, the advertising business is very popular as a matter of fact there is quite a number of registered company in the Security Exchange Commission a government body who regulate all official business registered in the country, so people in line with their businesses must have accurate details of the information dictate in your company portfolio especially in your business card wherein all your main contact details like landline office number, mobile number, office number, and email address as well are mention clearly to communicate properly to prospect business client in our outside the country.

Submitted by Santika on Mon, 29/07/2019 - 11:14

In this lesson I learn to pay attention to both listening and reading text equally and combined information from both of them properly. The sentence "Megumi thinks her real name is difficult to say" should refer to the all people she has met, not only people outside her country that she has met. And, instead of thinking about people outside the country she has met, we should focus on people inside her country she has met that have no difficulties on saying her name. That is why the sentence "Megumi thinks her real name is difficult to say" has the label "false".

Submitted by ayusisi on Mon, 22/07/2019 - 12:08

I have a business card from my company. I work at an e-commerce company. The information which put in my business card is first name, last name, date of birth, phone number, role, company address.

Submitted by Chue on Sun, 14/07/2019 - 09:39

In my country, most business cards include company name, name, job position, address, phone number,and email address.

Submitted by Cho on Sat, 29/06/2019 - 05:54

In my country, they have names, positions, names of organization, contact numbers, email & facebook accout and address on their business card.

Submitted by Diana0419 on Thu, 27/06/2019 - 15:33

Yes, it is common to have a business card when the employees or employers are introducing themselves. Receiving the business card, it is mandatory to keep when you have an emergency or necessary task to contact.

Submitted by khaalid Brightmoon on Thu, 13/06/2019 - 15:12

My country id card it has more info as first name and last name and date of bitith

Submitted by Agata2021 on Mon, 03/06/2019 - 12:44

In my country bussiness card contains a few important things: first name and surname, work position, name of organization on Croatian and English, email address and location of organization.

Submitted by pabe on Sun, 02/06/2019 - 14:25

I wondering about the key of the task 1. Actually, Alessandro is the manager of the company ?? In the Transscript he just talks about the project not company why it's true
Hello pabe, As you say, Alessandro does not say he is the manager. In the key, the correct answer to the question is 'false': > Alessandro is the manager of the company. > False ~ Peter The LearnEnglish Team

Submitted by mhazizi on Mon, 27/05/2019 - 14:45

I have a business card from my university. There are some information on the my business card: my full name; my position; post address; telephone number; cellphone number; email address and post code with logo of my university.

Submitted by Pawani on Wed, 22/05/2019 - 13:53

I have a business. so I created business card.I included business name, telephone number, email address and face book contacts.

Submitted by Wahiba on Thu, 09/05/2019 - 00:10

On my carte I have my name, my profession , the addres of the office, postal code and my E mail.
Profile picture for user kamal.buet

Submitted by kamal.buet on Tue, 07/05/2019 - 03:50

In my country people use their full names, designations that they serve for companies, and most importantly their contact numbers and email addresses on their business cards. They write everything in English. People sometimes mention their company addresses, business concerns on the backside of the business cards. It is important to have a business card for an employee in my country.
Profile picture for user TP

Submitted by TP on Sun, 05/05/2019 - 03:44

People have so much of information in my country too. The person's name, post, postal address, email address, telephone number, mobile number, fax and Facebook contacts are to name but a few.

Submitted by Kavi on Sun, 05/05/2019 - 03:41

In my country they put their name,profession,e-mail address,contact no,company's logo.

Submitted by Setareh on Sun, 28/04/2019 - 03:24

in my country we are writing full name and our job , email, phone number on business card;