Meeting people at a dinner

Listen to introductions at a dinner party to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Charles: Hello, Julian.

Julian: Hello, Charles. How are you?

Charles: I'm fine. Fine. Julian, do you remember Alyssa?

Julian: No, I don't.

Charles: She's Ben's sister. Do you remember? We were all at Ben's wedding together.

Julian: Ah, yes, I do – in that old castle. Was it in January?

Charles: Yes, it was! Alyssa was there.

Alyssa: Hello. Nice to meet you ... again.

Julian: Hello, nice to meet you too, Alison.

Alyssa: I'm not Alison.

Julian: What?

Alyssa: My name isn't Alison. It's Alyssa.

Julian: I'm sorry. Nice to meet you, Alyssa.

Charles: Good. Would you like a drink?

Julian: Good idea.

Alyssa: Yes, please.

Charles: Here you are.

Alyssa and Julian: Thanks!

Submitted by hoai on Fri, 03/12/2021 - 02:20

I rarely meet new people, because I stay at home. Now I am learning English before I go to work. Actually, I like meeting new people, I like to go around the earth, travel anyplace. So, I have to fluency in english

Submitted by Kamelbenslimane on Mon, 22/11/2021 - 20:09

I meet new people every week in hiking activity

Submitted by ANOUAR on Tue, 09/11/2021 - 11:00

In the past, i used to know and meet alot of people, but when I moved to another city I become more isolated and I disconnected from the outside world, but I will be back soon!

Submitted by John Nguyen on Tue, 09/11/2021 - 03:20

Not sure, I like old relationships, so I rarely meet new people

Submitted by LamVanPhuong on Sat, 06/11/2021 - 14:53

sometimes, but not now because covid-19, i can't go out to meet new people. However, i often meet new people on social media.

Submitted by thistangle on Thu, 04/11/2021 - 08:04

Pretty useful audio bits for conversation starters during dinners. Thanks..

Submitted by KyawMinThu on Tue, 26/10/2021 - 10:20

I work at a clothing store and I rarely meet new peoples when they come to our shop.

Submitted by vuhoap on Tue, 19/10/2021 - 13:54

I'm an introvert so I don't like to get to know other people. Moreover, my job rarely has to communicate with new people. That's why I don't have the opportunity to meet them.

Submitted by francyscongo on Fri, 15/10/2021 - 13:38

No often, but sometimes I like to meet new people. It's so good when you met family and friends.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Mon, 04/10/2021 - 11:23

I like to meet new people, do different things and know different places. I worked for me in this time
Usually I remember everybody when I met.

Submitted by Andrea Valencia on Sat, 24/07/2021 - 15:57

I don't really know many people lately, because we are living a pandemic and we must be isolated and I don't use apps to meet people.

Submitted by KATIELLE RAIAN… on Sat, 10/07/2021 - 14:08

I rarely meet new people.

Submitted by PuenteD on Tue, 01/06/2021 - 02:00

Really, In the past I knew more people, now with social media, if more difficult, for me... I like to see people and look through to eyes.

Submitted by karinaelizabeth on Wed, 28/04/2021 - 17:32

I don't frequently go out because I have many things to do in my house besides I'm studying so I have to do my homework on time and my daughter's tasks as well.

Submitted by Le Heros on Wed, 14/04/2021 - 18:43

I don't meet new people often but I hope that will be soon with a great meeting.

Submitted by Mai Khin Nway Shein on Mon, 12/04/2021 - 13:38

I didn't go anywhere within the Covid-19 period, so I have no chance to meet new people. Now I more frighten to go out. I don't go anywhere, I don't even go to my work since Feb 8 ... I am trying to improve my English skill these days. If I lose my job, I need to have good English to easily get another job.

Submitted by victor.07 on Thu, 08/04/2021 - 16:40

I don't meet new people often, but I think I will soon.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Thu, 08/04/2021 - 04:02

In this time, in my country covid's second wave is very dangerous. So I isolated himself in a room. But I active in internet and talk friends. University organize to held online classes. So I take online classes and interact teacher and student.

Submitted by DarwinM on Wed, 07/04/2021 - 04:53

I don't meet new people often because of the pandemic, actually. I used to meet new people at university, but now I'm having just online classes.

Submitted by tvkien on Tue, 30/03/2021 - 03:40

In basically, my country controlled the pandemic for now. So I can go out to work, therefore I can meet new people every day.

Submitted by 7s_mila on Sun, 28/03/2021 - 18:44

The pandemic has changed lives. I meet new people hardly ever. Because I study online and rarely go anywhere.

Submitted by Veronikka on Fri, 26/03/2021 - 01:26

I often meet new people at my job. When I need to evaluate a platform, I work with the provider (local and external) for 2 or 3 months. We organize proofs of concept for all platforms. I really know a lot of people on these projects. These projects are usually every 6 months.

Submitted by SaraMessa on Thu, 25/03/2021 - 14:48

Now I don't meet new people because in Italy for Covid's situation we can't go anywhere.

Submitted by Tomas Nabil on Tue, 23/03/2021 - 17:50

Every week because my work in company

Submitted by MikhailZatopliaev on Sun, 21/03/2021 - 02:43

I meet new people not often, but it is so interesting for me, though, we visit sauna every month and my friend Vladimir invite new people.

Submitted by TIa vinaka on Thu, 18/03/2021 - 04:33

I hardly meet new people these days due to the pandemic. before that, I met new people several times in a month. I really miss that days. meeting new people is fun and sometimes it change the life more interesting.

Submitted by Anonimusezio on Thu, 11/03/2021 - 19:07

This assignament, is a good task for the Pre-A1 level students.

Submitted by mirtha on Wed, 10/03/2021 - 20:12

Usually, when I go out with my daughter I meet new people, others parents for sure.

Submitted by Giuliana on Wed, 10/03/2021 - 15:36

I think sometimes a meet new people with more frequency but in this days or few months ago because of the covid I couldn't meet new people personally but actually i found new friends through instagram or other app. In this days or months ( when the covid is more level) i met and i meeting with a new people (thanks to my friends) because when i meeting with them, they carried his friends or we go to bars and there we meet new people and now friends

Submitted by Brenda Patrici… on Mon, 22/02/2021 - 14:43

I hardly ever meet new people, since I don't go out of my home anymore as before and I'd rather stay at home.

Submitted by vespinosa10 on Sat, 20/02/2021 - 18:13

Not much due to the pandemic, but in the school i try to be a little sociable.

Submitted by senaguner on Sat, 30/01/2021 - 14:08

There is a pandemic in my country as in the whole world. So I can not go out and unfortunately I can not meet the new people at coronavirus days. We have to stay at home.

Submitted by Leila77 on Mon, 25/01/2021 - 18:35

I rarely meet new people because I prefer to stay at home, when I don't work, and I'm a little shy.

Submitted by In on Mon, 25/01/2021 - 07:19

I think depends... but around one time per week.

Submitted by Alex.BC on Sat, 23/01/2021 - 13:28

I don't often meet new people.

Submitted by IrinAristova on Wed, 20/01/2021 - 16:14

I rarely meet new people, now People meet new people in the Internet
Yes, there are a lot of social network pages in our life, so people can meet new people via Facebook or Instagram

Submitted by German on Thu, 14/01/2021 - 00:28

I meet new people because my work, but generally are customers.

Submitted by paola Beltran on Wed, 13/01/2021 - 16:32

I often doesn´t meet people. Though in my holidays have met some people.

Submitted by May Sabai Phyu on Fri, 01/01/2021 - 15:07

I meet new people yesterday. I went to my friend's birthday party. There are so many people that I don't know.

Submitted by Luisalcaza on Wed, 30/12/2020 - 03:14

In my job I usually meet new people everyday, because I'm a doctor.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Mon, 28/12/2020 - 05:35

Often, I meet new people in a month. I talk to people about their job, behaviour and other things. This is occurs because I like to meet new people. Still I am a university student so I meet new freshers.

Submitted by Tzar on Fri, 25/12/2020 - 11:00

I usually met new people once a month.I also met new people three days ago.They visited to my home.We talked about our jobs and problems.I like to meet them and my closed friends,too.l use to gather with my closed friends twice a week.But now we don't have a chance to meet because of Covid 19.

Submitted by Deyse Pinheiro… on Thu, 24/12/2020 - 18:06

Lately, I've not been meeting new people because of the pandemic.

Submitted by glen on Sun, 20/12/2020 - 20:35

I meet new people once in a blue moon as I don't usually attend to a social gathering.

Submitted by serena93 on Wed, 16/12/2020 - 20:35

I usually meet new people when I go out with friend in some pub, there are always new people that you can know and also I meet new people when I travel and always when I work

Submitted by Tatiana barrera on Tue, 15/12/2020 - 17:12

I usually know new people around my neighborhood, but this year I can't meet new people.

Submitted by Andycivita on Mon, 14/12/2020 - 17:35

Almost every week in the clubs or partys, or also in social medias, i love meet new people but is kinda difficult to me because i´m a little shy in the beggining.

Submitted by pabloxje on Wed, 09/12/2020 - 03:02

Well, it depends. At the moment, I think I don't know new people since March because of the pandemic.