Meeting people at a dinner

Listen to introductions at a dinner party to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Charles: Hello, Julian.

Julian: Hello, Charles. How are you?

Charles: I'm fine. Fine. Julian, do you remember Alyssa?

Julian: No, I don't.

Charles: She's Ben's sister. Do you remember? We were all at Ben's wedding together.

Julian: Ah, yes, I do – in that old castle. Was it in January?

Charles: Yes, it was! Alyssa was there.

Alyssa: Hello. Nice to meet you ... again.

Julian: Hello, nice to meet you too, Alison.

Alyssa: I'm not Alison.

Julian: What?

Alyssa: My name isn't Alison. It's Alyssa.

Julian: I'm sorry. Nice to meet you, Alyssa.

Charles: Good. Would you like a drink?

Julian: Good idea.

Alyssa: Yes, please.

Charles: Here you are.

Alyssa and Julian: Thanks!

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Submitted by Lê Đình Khiêm on Sat, 04/04/2020 - 15:45

sometimes, because I don't go out and I'm afraid to talk to strangers

Submitted by Silambarasan on Fri, 03/04/2020 - 10:56

I usually meet new people. When I go to supermarket, go to new class or go on street.

Submitted by Yuzana on Wed, 01/04/2020 - 04:35

I used to meet with new people last 2 years ago because I was a researcher and conducted to survey with many new people. At the moment, I'm staying at my home due to the global pandemic virus, so I cannot meet people.
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Mon, 30/03/2020 - 18:05

I meet new people more often.

Submitted by Nane on Thu, 26/03/2020 - 22:54

Hi! I meet people frequently because of my job. I have to teach people and i have differents groups every month. Regards, AM

Submitted by Yenn nguyen on Thu, 26/03/2020 - 10:03

The fist I introduce myself and so happy when met a new friend. Ask name, ask old, ask where from, ask when your free time how to do you often? as like familiar.

Submitted by HMida on Mon, 23/03/2020 - 16:35

I can meet new people in many occasion. It can be in work when i visit or receive a new customer. Also, in gym where there always a new registrants. In political party, i met different person from different backgrounds.

Submitted by Kapustina on Sat, 14/03/2020 - 12:31

Hey. i usually meet new people when i come party or travel abroad

Submitted by s4lemm on Tue, 03/03/2020 - 11:50

I meet new people when I travel.

Submitted by hamayoon on Sat, 22/02/2020 - 10:44

Dear friends, I'm new plz help me in listening lessons, should I listen then answer the questions, at the end I should open the transcript ??

Hello hamayoon,

I think that's a good way to use the material. First do the tasks on the page, then check your answers. After that, listen again with the transcript, using it to see why any of your answers were incorrect. You can also use the transcript to read aloud along with the speaker, which can help you to develop more fluent speech.

Submitted by hamayoon on Sat, 22/02/2020 - 10:27

when I applying for new course, i don't remember classmates name for a while

Submitted by Eswar on Sat, 22/02/2020 - 06:49

Recently i started meeting new people To learn new thing from there. it helps me to Increase the relationships With new people.

Submitted by Nyein on Thu, 20/02/2020 - 15:44

I meet new people at the office.

Submitted by siciidgaagaale on Sat, 15/02/2020 - 17:45

I usually meet new people in classes maybe at school or at pravite or inistitute . i do not often go parties or holidays and i am not well-know player ,So i usually meet in study places .

Submitted by Dinka on Thu, 30/01/2020 - 07:37

I meet new people when i am working.I work at the restourant.Or i meet people in the party.
Profile picture for user karim1977

Submitted by karim1977 on Wed, 29/01/2020 - 19:46

last weekend, i met new people, i invited them to dinner, the meeting was great, and they were very enjoyable,

Submitted by MaryaSun on Thu, 16/01/2020 - 16:33

Hi, i usually meet new people when i start a new activity. For esemple i have met new people on September when i have started an english language course. Or i have met new people when i attended the gym or when i attended my university.

Submitted by ademyonet on Tue, 14/01/2020 - 19:58

I usually meet people when I see new. But I don't join parties.

Submitted by shahhoseini on Wed, 25/12/2019 - 13:24

I am a teacher and usually meet new students each semester. I will intend to relationships with new people from different nationalities.

Submitted by Mdolores on Sat, 14/12/2019 - 21:50

Everyday I can know peoples differents on each place where I am, because I like to relation with the people if their want

Submitted by Murilo Martins on Sat, 30/11/2019 - 18:28

I hardly ever meet new people because I don't like to hangout to the parties or pubs. I prefer to stay at home with my wife watching movies.

Submitted by Laura390 on Tue, 26/11/2019 - 16:39

rarely I meet with new people, thoug I like have new friends.

Submitted by Dariusz on Sun, 24/11/2019 - 17:56

I sometimes meet new people on the street especially womem.

Submitted by Nasser_mo on Tue, 05/11/2019 - 13:17

I often meet new people in my work because my work requires it .

Submitted by le van son on Tue, 05/11/2019 - 04:17

I usually meet people in the party and social network to talk with them and make the relationship.

Submitted by Nayara dos San… on Sat, 26/10/2019 - 17:03

Recently, I had met new people at the network, exactly, in the English course free. I made friends with a Mexican, an American, and with a New Zealander. Their names are Esme, Eric, and Elliott.

Submitted by Verolili on Thu, 10/10/2019 - 03:17

I usually meet new people when I go to my friends' parties.

Submitted by annjha_ on Thu, 03/10/2019 - 14:51

Submitted by nurnadiahazlan on Thu, 03/10/2019 - 10:42

I have completed the lesson "Meeting People at a Dinner". The level I chose is Beginner A1.

Submitted by nurul ashikin on Thu, 03/10/2019 - 07:45

Submitted by Abdelmouttalib on Sat, 28/09/2019 - 14:17

Almost every day i meet new people, Because of my work

Submitted by Nurshaera73 on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 10:44

I have completed the following lessons of meeting a new team member, shopping for clothes and meeting a new team maker.

Submitted by FLORENCE SHERRIE on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 08:41

I have completed the following lesson Meeting people at a dinner.

Submitted by Carmenmagenta on Mon, 16/09/2019 - 18:31

Normally when I meet new people I ask: how are you?

Submitted by raza.umar on Mon, 16/09/2019 - 18:26

well I love to meet new people. Additionally, whenever, I meet with strangers I ask many things about his/her life experiences and personal information. Further, I also love to talk about the cultures. So, through this I will able to explore new cultures.

Submitted by sarah karrar on Thu, 22/08/2019 - 18:09

I usually meet new people every year, rather at the airport or college or other places like that.
Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Submitted by Magedelabd on Wed, 21/08/2019 - 17:47

I meet new people once a moth
Profile picture for user shahramuteng

Submitted by shahramuteng on Thu, 15/08/2019 - 22:39

I rarely meet new people, because nowadays I am in the house and do research and development.
Profile picture for user Caterina Siligardi

Submitted by Caterina Siligardi on Wed, 14/08/2019 - 16:12

When I was a teacher, I met à lot of people everyday. Now I'm retired, but I can meet many people when I practice my favourite sport:Taijiquan.

Submitted by Toanrt on Sat, 03/08/2019 - 08:24

every weekend if im not busy for this *lol*

Submitted by gedi on Fri, 26/07/2019 - 04:55

first time i say him Hi then i ask him their name after that i told him to welcome to party and we start each other to ask him some information about the party

Submitted by ayusisi on Wed, 24/07/2019 - 07:26

I am rarely meet new people, might be meeting new people in the mall.

Submitted by fariba on Tue, 16/07/2019 - 11:49

i usually meet new people every one months.

Submitted by Praveen kumar on Thu, 11/07/2019 - 16:33

yes I do meet new people in weddings or any parties but I don't talk too much.

Submitted by thanhtam on Mon, 08/07/2019 - 00:45

Submitted by popo1011 on Tue, 02/07/2019 - 05:57

I rarely meet new people, because of my office have not the referred clients.
really? when you work as a surveyor engineer in civil projects, probably you meet new employee and staff in each part of the project. especially if you work in Iran you see Afghan worker in different works groups certainly. furthermore, if you should sign some documents, you can meet a different Contractor.

Submitted by Diana0419 on Sun, 30/06/2019 - 07:30

I meet new people every two months.

Submitted by abdalhameed on Fri, 14/06/2019 - 13:36

I meet new people frequently, because of my job as a doctor.