A class forum

Learn how to write a post on a class forum.

Reading text

Add your comment below:

So cool to read about everyone's home tradition they miss the most! I'm from England but I've been living in the States for five years and the thing I miss the most is Bonfire Night on November 5th.

The best thing about Bonfire Night is the fireworks, oh, and the bonfires! … and the history behind it. Basically, Guy Fawkes and his friends tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament and kill King James I. They nearly did it too – they hired a room under the House of Parliament and filled it with explosives. But someone told the royal palace. The authorities found Guy Fawkes in the room guarding the explosives, and he was sentenced to torture and death.

So it's a tradition that celebrates the fact that the king survived. It also means people don't forget what happens if you plot against your country. There's a kind of poem about it that starts 'Remember, remember the fifth of November, gunpowder, treason and plot.' That's why we build a 'guy' – a life-size model of Guy Fawkes – and burn it on the bonfire. Pretty dark and horrible when you think about it!

Tips

1. It's nice to start by saying something that shows you have read other people's posts.
  2. In a class forum you can be quite informal.
  3. In informal writing you can sometimes miss out the beginning of a phrase:
    So cool to read about everyone's home tradition ...
  4. Remember, in a forum you are part of a long conversation with a lot of other people so they might ask you questions.
Do you need to improve your English writing skills?
Join thousands of learners from around the world who are improving their English writing skills with our live online classes and personal tutoring courses.

Submitted by Fery Qiu on Sun, 06/10/2019 - 10:50

i am so glad that i can learn so much different traditions by this way. i am chinese girl, my favorite tradition must be making dumplings during the chinese new year which is the biggest family union festival in china. There are a lot of custom in chinese new year, but making dumplings is a special one. Dumplings has lot of meaning in the past, firstly, its chinese pronounciation imply get good luck in the new year, secondly,its shape resembles ingot(Money in the ancient china),so that's means it can bring you good fortune in the future. the last but the most important part of keeping this custom until now, is because its cooking process can make all the family member involved and help developing relationship.

Submitted by smn on Thu, 03/10/2019 - 02:01

Its always fascinating in knowing about some one's tradition.I am living in Australia from last four years and missing many of my country's most traditions. I belong to a beautiful country ,Pakistan.The most interesting thing is their family unity.On every small and big occasion all family members get together and enjoy every moment.They show love and unity for each other.Kids experience their family norms and learn from their elders. In Pakistan there are many occasions on which families get together and share their joys but the two main occasions are Eid Al Fitr and Eid Al azha. They are both Islamic festivals. Eid Al Fitr is the celebration at the end of Holy month of ramadan(fast) and Eid Al azha is celebrated as a remembrance of the sacrifice done by Hazrat Ibrahim (AS). Other then these two festivals ,marriages are the special occasions and all family and friends get together and celebrate with ultimate joy.Basically there are three main days of wedding, Mehndi barat and walima,but the celebrations begins almost a month before. These are not only the celebrations but an opportunity to learn about your norms and traditions.

Submitted by AlmiraLinda on Tue, 24/09/2019 - 10:21

It's very lovely to read about the cultures of different countries. I also want to talk about a traditional festival in my country, Myanmar. In Myanmar, there are many festivals throughout a year such as Thingyan festival, Tazaungdaing festival, Harvest festival, Thadingyut festival and so on. Among them, I want to tell you about Thadingyut festival also known as the Festival of Lights. It's celebrated on the full moon day of Thadingyut--7th month of traditional Burmese calendar. The reason for celebrating this festival is marking the end of Buddhist lent. On that festival, paying obeisance to elders(gadaw), lighting of candles and visiting pagodas can be found. All Buddhists participate in the event and enjoy the festival. It is one of the great and precious festivals in Myanmar.

Submitted by mnik64 on Sat, 21/09/2019 - 14:52

hi, I'm Mary from Iran One of my favorite home tradition is Yalda Night on November 21th. Yalda means the birth of the sun,and The reason it is celebrated is because,after November 21th the days will be longer than before. Anyway, we getting a party and provide some special food and fruit (for example: watermelon, persimmon and pomegranate,...) Finally we start reading the poems of the famous poet Hafez

Submitted by Catalina Pazmiño on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 18:53

It's nice hearing about other country cultures, 'cause you learn so much. For example, I had never hear about bonfire nights, now I ´m glad know a little more about England celebration. I live in a country where fireworks are parts of many celebration especially at the end of each year. The real meaning is to welcome to the new one.

Submitted by Marlon Lopes on Mon, 16/09/2019 - 16:58

Loved to read about everyone home traditions and get to know more about diferent countries around the world. I'm Marlon, I'm from Brazil and here we love a good brazilian barbecue... the so called Brazilian Churrasco. We do it almost every weekend. It's when we gather family and friends in someones' house to chat, drink and eat a grilled stake beef, pork sausage and a butter garlic bread! You must try when comming to Brazil.

Submitted by Bayan on Mon, 16/09/2019 - 16:06

What cool to hear all these traditional stories, comes to me What I the most miss is the celebration of marriage that begins with something called Arada. That's a very traditional dance in Syria. It starts when the friends of the groom come to bring hem from his house so they bring hem with a cool dance en that dance includes dancing with swords, professional mens carry swords and do some beautiful movements with them with some also traditional songs, singing these songs very out loud that all the neighborhood hears it. I used to run to the window when i hear Arada and keep watch it till end. Now I am living in The Netherlands and I miss such things badly. But I think with time I can see such Arada here also because of the spread of syrians all over the world.

Submitted by anfal11 on Sat, 07/09/2019 - 12:58

I Love how everyone excited to tell their country tradition, Let me share with you the best traditional celebration we have it here in Bahrain and in GCC. It's Gurgaon happens on the 13th of Ramdan from the Islamic calendar. What I like the most about the Gurgaon it's the celebration atmosphere and kids singing. Basically, on these days kids wear colourfull traditional custom and going around the neighbourhood knocking the doors and singing Gurgaon song where the neighbour treat them with candies and coines. I love it because it reminded me of my childhood, and how we used to be happy and excited about the small thing. :)

Submitted by Jade82 on Wed, 28/08/2019 - 05:47

hi, I'm Juhyun from S.Korea. My favorite tradition is to eat together food like galbi, ddukguk on some special day. That's a day of gathering all the family in one or two times every year. So, it's a very deeply touched day for me. It's something like Seol-nal or Chuseok and most of the traffic is so heavy that day, because everyone who would want to go to their parent's home moves mostly by own car
Profile picture for user tungnguyen3011

Submitted by tungnguyen3011 on Fri, 09/08/2019 - 07:32

in my country, vietnam, there are a firework in the most important public celebration days, such as: new year, national day...especial in big city. Quality of a fireworks is becoming better year by year.It attracts so many people going out to see.There are international fireworks festival which is organized in Da Nang city every year. That is very excited and attractive event. If you want to join You may have to book a hotel at least 6 months in advance. a Fireworks also cam into the memory of so many Vietnamese people and It is very nice and peace memory.

Submitted by Moamen2019 on Mon, 05/08/2019 - 14:03

hello I'm from Cairo,Egypt one of my favorite tradition is the "Eid" basically it is an Islamic festival we have 2 Eids every year the small Eid and the big Eid on the small Eid we bake cookies and biscuits, we pray a prayer before sunrise also we visit relatives or go out and have fun on the big Eid we pray a prayer before sunrise and we slaughter sheep and give away their meat to the poor people in both Eids you can breathe the joy and the wonderful spirit in the air

Submitted by Cynthia A on Sun, 04/08/2019 - 17:05

I have been hearing about Bonfire celebration but never knew the history till date. In Nigeria where I come from, we have many festivals but I could discuss the New Yam Festival. It is the festival of Thanksgiving to the God's of the land for a successful harvest of new yam after a cultivation season. Sadly, I don't know the history. However, the celebration is done every August and is led by the king or the eldest person in that village. During the festivals, there are a lot of traditional displays such as dances in native costumes, masquerade and musical bands. This festival showcases the traditional art of the people which makes it memorable.

Submitted by shymaa on Thu, 01/08/2019 - 10:59

hi every one . when I rad the above post , I thought a lot what I can write about because I born in Saudi Arabia while I am Egyptian so I never attend a tradition in my country when I was young . In this days the celebrating spirit of old traditional is despairing year after year so that its difficult to describe my favorite . How ever I was love ramadan this month every one was so calm and happy even we was hungry and thirsty but fact that choose doing this one a year to remind you self with poor people which can't find enough money or food that made you so thanks about what you have and know there are other need what you don't need . If every one take what he just need only and let the resat to other no one in this world will safer again I hope if any one read what I wrote please tell my the mistake I did thank you

Submitted by Bobur on Wed, 31/07/2019 - 10:00

Hi tasks are interesting but internet speed i cannt think so

Submitted by Amily on Tue, 23/07/2019 - 11:48

Hello all, Nice to meet you. My name is Amily and we have tradition which is Thingyan Festival in Myanmar.We celebrate Thingyan Festival in April around the country by splashing water each other, donating foods in every street.
Profile picture for user SimoneSimona

Submitted by SimoneSimona on Sun, 21/07/2019 - 22:34

Hello, Is so nice to hear about intercultural tradition . I thing I am from the country with the most traditions. :)) . Why I am say that? Because we have a lot of holidays without Christmas and Easter. One important is on beginning of spring at 1 March. We get and we give flowers to woman. In principal men to women but also women to women, in special to mothers and sisters etc. More important than flowers are trinkets. It is made from tow yarn threads, one red and one white. The history behind is different from area to another area. But is the way to say hello to the spring. Tradition flowers for this celebration is snowdrop. Another tradition nice and funny is to celebrate the saint`s name and all people who has that name is celebrated. And we have a lot. We celebrate the day of work without working in that day :)) but having any kind of activities. I can speak about a lot of celebrating day from my country but I guess I need a book :d. Thank you for reading my text!

Submitted by Gulikia Karimova on Sun, 21/07/2019 - 12:11

Hey. My name is Gulya. I am from Uzbekistan . It is an ancient, sunny and hospitable country in Central Asia. We have many different traditions. but one probably is known to many abroad. This is the celebration of the spring holiday of Navruz. Many traditional dishes are prepared on this day and await guests.

Submitted by mahsa on Sat, 20/07/2019 - 11:59

Hi everyone, I'm from Iran. We have another traditional ,except Nuroz and Wednesday celebration that we called " yalda's night ".(This night is just one minutes longer than the other.) We celebrate the longest and the last night of autumn with watermelon and pomegranate.

Submitted by cathychuchu on Wed, 17/07/2019 - 10:26

Hi everyone, I am from Hong Kong, it’s a metropolitan which was governed by British and have been returned to China since 1997. The most popular tradition in Hong Kong is Lunar New Year/ Chinese New Year which is a three days holiday. In this three days, we would visit to all the family’s member and friends. In order to show your respect to the elderly or giving blessings to friends, we often bring a lot of delicious foods, gifts and red pockets with money inside. It’s defiantly a feast! We lived in a suburb when I was young, we used to buy the fireworks and made firework display to light up the front door of our house. Everyone was so happy and excited! However, for the safety reasons, fireworks were completely banned. Nowadays, people are not as keen to celebrate the Chinese New Year as we did before, they prefer to make it simple!

Submitted by Sandi on Tue, 09/07/2019 - 15:26

It's great to know about international traditions. In Myanmar, we don't have tradition like bon fire though we have light festival in November. We celebrate as a sign of worship to Buddha. Among the cities, Tauggyi Fire Balloon Festival is the most famous one in light festival.

Submitted by EmptyDysfuncti… on Mon, 08/07/2019 - 22:40

Hi, I'm from Kyiv, Ukraine. Decent article about Fawks and British traditions. Honestly, I've heard this story many times, even more: Guy Fawks masks are very popular around the world. Also I've read many opposite theories and minds about Fawks and his complicits: is they were a terrorists or rebels? ---- Anyway, in Ukraine we have many holidays, but for me better tradition it's too simple: Christmas celebrating and songs, especially songs! When I was a child we (me and my friends) we walked from door to door, singing the Christmas songs and get the candies from hosts for our perfomance)). One of the most famous Ukrainian Christmas song: "Shchedryk". It's famous not only in Ukraine but in the USA too, because their "Carol of the bells" its an american version of "Shchedryk". In 1914 Ukrainian composer Mykola Leontovich wrote it and in 1921 it was performed in the United States at Carnegie Hall. And It's so cool that part of our Ukrainian ancient culture now is a part of American culture).

Hello EmptyDysfunctionalBox

Thanks for your explanation of how Christmas is celebrated in Ukraine. I lived in the US for many years and you are absolutely right in saying that Carol of the bells is very popular there. I had no idea where it came from.

By the way, if you're interested in reading more about Christmas in English, I wanted to point out that we have several other pages about it: a Magazine article, a Vocabulary page and several videos in Word on the Street. I hope you enjoy them!

All the best

Submitted by fifisaad_99 on Wed, 03/07/2019 - 14:05

I would like to introduce myself for you, my name is Fatima am from Sudan a country in the east of Africa, It's very nice country because of its nature; the autumn season the best weather in Sudan. I like many traditional food in Sudan done by white flour and yeast which name is " aseeda" like a bread we put it in special mold, beside this there is a dish containing minced meat plus tomato sauce and okra "Wika" this dish name is " Molaah Tagalia".

Submitted by gayrat-arapov on Sat, 29/06/2019 - 08:06

Hi there! It is a wonderful reading task to upgrade one's level!

Submitted by mehdi_84 on Sat, 29/06/2019 - 04:56

in Iran we have a tradition that based on fire too, named " Wednesday Celebration " that is held on the last wednesday (actually the night before) of the year. people set fires in their neighborhoods ,but not as big as bonfire, and jump over them. while they are jumping they say: My yellow color for you, Your red color for me.

Submitted by tooran on Tue, 25/06/2019 - 07:54

That's so great to being familiar with international tradition. Actually I had herd about Bonfire Night and Guy Fawkes but not with details so your text made it become unforgettable. I am from Iran and one of the most popular tradition which I like is called Noruz. All people in I ran also some other countries celebrate the first day of spring. Actually it is similar to Christmas somehow.

Hello tooran

Thanks for sharing that information with us. If there are any other users reading this comment who would like to know more about Nowruz, we have a short article about it in our Magazine. Maybe you will enjoy reading it, too, tooran, though of course you are already an expert on it!

All the best

Submitted by Birjees zahera on Tue, 18/06/2019 - 06:47

Hi everyone i born and brought up in India. India is a big country in south east Asia. it has many states and a few territories. i am from north India. North Indian culture reflects the diversity of traditions and customs of the vast region it encompasses. North Indian culture has been impacted by Greek and Central Asian invaders during the early centuries. the states i belong is utter pradesh where two holi river Ganga and Jamuna flows .

Submitted by minjulu on Tue, 11/06/2019 - 08:55

I would like to introduce the most popular tradition in South Korea named "a fire to kill mouse" where I am living now and it is very similar to bornfire night that is descrived in text above. It was a annual and just one night event for Korea people who were suffuring from mouse to kill them all by buring fire in the field.

Hello minjulu

I'm afraid we aren't able to do this. We simply have too much work to be able to correct our users' comments. If you would like to ask us a specific question about a specific phrase or sentence, we can help you with that, though.

All the best

Submitted by akgupta.uidai on Mon, 10/06/2019 - 11:36

Hi Dear all, Very nice to read this article about bonfire in Londan ! I am from India and belong to Hindu religion.Similarly one the festival celebrating in India that is call Dasahra on October month.Basically this festival celebrating in acount of the GOD( RAM) and Durga Mata Ji, total 10 days of this festival first 9 days celebrating ad pooja for Durga Mata and last days is celebrating Ravan dahar by bonfire by RAM.

Submitted by onderkose on Sat, 08/06/2019 - 06:25

Hi. Every country has the same things. Do you know why they tired to blow up the parliament?

Submitted by MAX LEITE FILHO on Wed, 22/05/2019 - 19:07

It´s nice to read about everyone' home tradition. I know many kind of history of my country. And when I remember them, I understand how much we can leran with our past There are good and bad histories.

Submitted by Golden_moon on Wed, 22/05/2019 - 05:42

Thank you for sharing your tradition. It is very interesting and shows the diversity of traditions in the world. I've noticed that there are so many lunar traditions in Asia. It is fascinating. I am from Central Asia, my people were nomads in the past. We celebrate New Year from the 21 to 23 of March. When it starts to get warmer and nature wakes up from a long sleep. We cook a lot of national food, we go out and gather at yurts (which build specially for the occasion, we don't live in yurts anymore). Also, It is family time, we like to visit our relatives and eat a lot.
Thank you for sharing your tradition. The tradition that you tell us is similar our tradition. I'm from Turkey. We celebrate Day of Hidirellez, on 6 May, every year. Winter ends and summer starts on this date. All people go out at night. All people jump over a fire. People believe that jumping over fire on this date protect from glance and sickness.

Submitted by smell08 on Tue, 14/05/2019 - 14:34

It's fresh story that I never heard. To honor ancestor, we hold memorial service that decendants prepare such as ancestores pictures, foods, fruits and etc anually at Chuseok and New year's day. And then we visit ancestor's graves. By doing this, decendants think their ancestors could take a rest in afterlife and they could protect their decendants from bad things.

I am fond of hilidays. I enjoyed a number of holidays such as winter and summer holidays. To be honest, i like to enjoy each and every moment of life. If, I talk my last weekend this weekend was not so many enjoyable because on this weekend i complete my all pending work related to my bgv document.

Submitted by Saidred on Thu, 25/04/2019 - 13:34

I'm from Uzbekistan and I like our wedding traditons. They are very colourful.
Profile picture for user anicoralv

Submitted by anicoralv on Wed, 17/04/2019 - 13:08

Waoo, that tradition is interesting and also wear, but I like it! I'm from Colombia and in my country each month we have different types of traditions; it depends on the city and department. In Barranquilla who is in the north of the country, we have the "Carnaval de Barranquilla" there is where many cars and people go out to the streets with a mask and very funny clothes. Also, in Medellín, we have the "Flowers festival" and in Pasto, we have the "Black and White festival". I born in a diverse country and this is one of the things that made my country unique. I love my country, the people and the traditions too because when people celebrate any tradition it means that is a Holy Day (we don't have to go to work or study). Time for enjoys life!

Submitted by mariluqueb on Tue, 16/04/2019 - 18:41

It was very entertained to learn about other countries and cities traditions. I'm from Bogotá, Colombia. There are many traditions in many cities, however in the capital I feel the people lost the biggest traditions, perhaps for the development and technology. One of the biggest traditions in Colombia is in San Juan of Pasto, at the south of the country in the department of Nariño. There is a celebration called The Carnival of Black and White. It is celebrated at the beginning of each year, and people paint their faces one day with black and the other with white, it's due to the meaning of Pasto for being a place where cultures are reunited. There are big floats, choreographies and costumes. People of all over the country and around the world came to celebrate this four day festival and have a great time.

Hi guy It's interesting to read about your traditions.I'm from Myanmar and there are so many festivals in Myanmar.I want to tell you about our Thingyan festival(water festival).We celebrate it in April and it is the beginning of Myanmar month.We water each other to clean the negative things happened to us in the past.We pay respect to older people and do good things to begin our Myanmar new year well.

Submitted by KRISHNAKANTTIWARI on Tue, 09/04/2019 - 17:17

Without doubt it was an interesting and informative article. It helps in understanding the reason behind very common traditions which are followed or celebrated around the world.

Submitted by Duckblue on Sun, 31/03/2019 - 19:13

This is so curious to read about such sort of traditions. Maybe because it's sad and ironically at the same time. I suppose there are a lot of traditions which appeared to make afraid people. I mean you can't do something wrong because you know you can be caught and you will pay for it so much. This guy didn't plan that all but he wasn't luck enough to hide from guards. So he paid his life and his reputation.

Submitted by jcsj1172 on Thu, 28/03/2019 - 08:22

Hi, I am Juan Carlos From Spain, I live in Malaga. In my country there are a lot of traditional events, but I think that in Málaga the most iconic is the Eastern Week, it's in Spring beteween March and April and celebrate the Jesus died. The streets are plenty of people to see the Holy Week steps, every day in this week there are a lot of steps or procession, where people carry a throne of a scene of the death of Christ. There are Nazarenes and music band of bugles and drums. The streets smell of rosemary and incense is a very beatifull celebration!.
Profile picture for user CHINMOY_53

Submitted by CHINMOY_53 on Tue, 26/03/2019 - 17:50

It is just great to learn about traditions of so many countries described with different fervours. Each stands with its uniqueness- ways of celebrations, origins of traditions, pomp and galore of the festivals.And I am rather inspired to tell something about a tradition of our country India. I personally like "bhaiphota" or "bhaiduj" or " brothers' day".It is enjoyed only for a day , just after kalipuja. This is a festival of brothers and sisters only elder sisters prays for brother's long life with sandal wood paste on the brother's,brothers present gifts to her sweet sister. Sisters also reciprocate it. Throught the day ,they chat endlesly with frequent supply of delicious dishes and finally presents a grand dishesh

Submitted by mansurakcay on Mon, 25/03/2019 - 09:31

It's really inspiring to read about traditions from different countries and cultures. I'm from Turkey and as you know this country builded on the lands of Anatolia and Mesopotamia. It's mean many country, culture lived on this lands even first civilizations was here. So, it's mean we have a lot of traditions. But I am not gonna mention one of the old traditions. It's gonna be one of the new traditions. The great leader, soldier, commander and teacher Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the father of the Republic of Turkey died at 09.05 am on 10th of November, 1938. From the day he died till today and in future every November 10 at exactly at 09:05 am sirens play all around the country and everyone stands up and thinks his memory in silence. Maybe some of you do not know about him, do not worry, to understand his idea about life and everything you can read this; "Peace at Home, Peace in the World" - Mustafa Kemal Ataturk

Submitted by ayanana on Thu, 14/03/2019 - 13:08

It's exciting to know about each tradition we have. I'm from Japan and the thing I like the most is hanami in this season! Hanami, of flower-viewing celebrations, is said to have begun in the 9th century. According to folklore, the mountain deity traveled to rice paddies on floating cherry blossom petals and nurtured the crop. Thus, a long bloom becomes synonymous with a fruitful harvest. Because of this relationship to rice that sustains human life the tree has been regarded as sacred. In addition, this tree is Japan's iconic flower as the beauty and brevity of life.

Submitted by inspiredcat on Mon, 11/03/2019 - 19:31

It is interesting to learn about traditions in other countries! I'd like to tell about a Russian tradition that I find quite strange if not to say horrible but so impressive. It is taking an ice plunge on the Epiphany Day (19 January). Orthodox christians plunge in icy water in holes that are cut through ice on rivers and ponds regardless of the weather. You know that the weather in Russia in the middle of January is very cold. In some regions the temperature can drop to - 40 degrees. But believers make it in celebration of the baprism of Jeasus Christ who plunged in the Jordan River.

Submitted by Gulbanu on Mon, 11/03/2019 - 12:07

My country has a lot of traditions. Some of them connects with celebration religion great datas, some - post-sovet union rudiment holidays. I don't like any of them, expect first days of may. In Ukraine these days are celebrated as Labor Day. It's a holiday and day-off for all employees. The weather usually is warm and pleasant. Citizens prefer to get a camping and open-air walking in this time. More off them have a good mood because of excellent occasion don't go to the work and have a fun.