Business cards

Listen to four people talk about their jobs to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

A

A: Hello, Doctor Miller. It's nice to meet you.

B: Please call me Peter.

A: OK. Are you a medical doctor? It must be helpful when you sell medical equipment.

B: Actually, no. My doctorate was in electronic engineering, but it's still helpful for me when I sell our equipment.

B

Good morning, everyone. I'm happy to be here today to tell you about our new project. My name is Alessandro Rossi. I'm the project leader on the Starlight programming project.

C

Pleased to meet you. Here's my card. My real name is Megumi Tanaka, but people who are not from my country think it's difficult to say my name, so I use another name, Meg, when I'm working internationally.

D

Hello, everyone. My name's Andres Mulligan. I'm very happy to be joining this team for the next few months and learning more about research and development.

Reading text

DX Medical Equipment Ltd
Dr Peter Miller
Sales Director

*Space10 Designs*
Alessandro Rossi
Lead Programmer

Global Engineering Consults
Megumi Tanaka
Product Manager

MaXtin Ltd
Andres Mulligan Jr
Intern, R&D team
Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

A1 English level (elementary)

Submitted by jdevera21 on Tue, 30/07/2019 - 08:52

Which information do people have on their business cards in your country? In our country, the advertising business is very popular as a matter of fact there is quite a number of registered company in the Security Exchange Commission a government body who regulate all official business registered in the country, so people in line with their businesses must have accurate details of the information dictate in your company portfolio especially in your business card wherein all your main contact details like landline office number, mobile number, office number, and email address as well are mention clearly to communicate properly to prospect business client in our outside the country.

Submitted by Santika on Mon, 29/07/2019 - 11:14

In this lesson I learn to pay attention to both listening and reading text equally and combined information from both of them properly. The sentence "Megumi thinks her real name is difficult to say" should refer to the all people she has met, not only people outside her country that she has met. And, instead of thinking about people outside the country she has met, we should focus on people inside her country she has met that have no difficulties on saying her name. That is why the sentence "Megumi thinks her real name is difficult to say" has the label "false".

Submitted by ayusisi on Mon, 22/07/2019 - 12:08

I have a business card from my company. I work at an e-commerce company. The information which put in my business card is first name, last name, date of birth, phone number, role, company address.

Submitted by Chue on Sun, 14/07/2019 - 09:39

In my country, most business cards include company name, name, job position, address, phone number,and email address.

Submitted by Cho on Sat, 29/06/2019 - 05:54

In my country, they have names, positions, names of organization, contact numbers, email & facebook accout and address on their business card.

Submitted by Diana0419 on Thu, 27/06/2019 - 15:33

Yes, it is common to have a business card when the employees or employers are introducing themselves. Receiving the business card, it is mandatory to keep when you have an emergency or necessary task to contact.

Submitted by khaalid Brightmoon on Thu, 13/06/2019 - 15:12

My country id card it has more info as first name and last name and date of bitith

Submitted by Agata2021 on Mon, 03/06/2019 - 12:44

In my country bussiness card contains a few important things: first name and surname, work position, name of organization on Croatian and English, email address and location of organization.

Submitted by pabe on Sun, 02/06/2019 - 14:25

I wondering about the key of the task 1. Actually, Alessandro is the manager of the company ?? In the Transscript he just talks about the project not company why it's true
Hello pabe, As you say, Alessandro does not say he is the manager. In the key, the correct answer to the question is 'false': > Alessandro is the manager of the company. > False ~ Peter The LearnEnglish Team

Submitted by mhazizi on Mon, 27/05/2019 - 14:45

I have a business card from my university. There are some information on the my business card: my full name; my position; post address; telephone number; cellphone number; email address and post code with logo of my university.

Submitted by Pawani on Wed, 22/05/2019 - 13:53

I have a business. so I created business card.I included business name, telephone number, email address and face book contacts.

Submitted by Wahiba on Thu, 09/05/2019 - 00:10

On my carte I have my name, my profession , the addres of the office, postal code and my E mail.
Profile picture for user kamal.buet

Submitted by kamal.buet on Tue, 07/05/2019 - 03:50

In my country people use their full names, designations that they serve for companies, and most importantly their contact numbers and email addresses on their business cards. They write everything in English. People sometimes mention their company addresses, business concerns on the backside of the business cards. It is important to have a business card for an employee in my country.
Profile picture for user TP

Submitted by TP on Sun, 05/05/2019 - 03:44

People have so much of information in my country too. The person's name, post, postal address, email address, telephone number, mobile number, fax and Facebook contacts are to name but a few.

Submitted by Kavi on Sun, 05/05/2019 - 03:41

In my country they put their name,profession,e-mail address,contact no,company's logo.

Submitted by Setareh on Sun, 28/04/2019 - 03:24

in my country we are writing full name and our job , email, phone number on business card;

Submitted by Ehsan1984 on Sun, 21/04/2019 - 19:31

for A1 it is good
Profile picture for user Stanley Alvarez

Submitted by Stanley Alvarez on Fri, 19/04/2019 - 20:29

In my country, people put their name, business profession, job address and contact information.
Profile picture for user Hana Jasumin

Submitted by Hana Jasumin on Fri, 19/04/2019 - 15:11

Which information do people have on their business cards in your country? in my country, the information have their name, job position, phone number and address of the office

Submitted by César Árraga on Fri, 12/04/2019 - 04:03

In my country, people have on their business cards: company's name, their name own, the position they hold, mobile phone number and email adress.
Profile picture for user PHẠM THỊ LUẬN

Submitted by PHẠM THỊ LUẬN on Wed, 10/04/2019 - 10:03

Hello! My name is Luan. I'm from Vietnam. In my country, there are some information on the business card such as: company's name, logo and address, their name and number.
Profile picture for user mehrazin

Submitted by mehrazin on Tue, 02/04/2019 - 09:28

Dear British Council Team There are some information such as the name of the company, the name of the direct manager (it could be any work position) telephone and telefax and the address of company , postal code is necessary as well and we have email and the link of Instagram if we have its page ,one side in Persian and the other side is in English. we also have logo in one side of the business card best wishes and good luck
Profile picture for user MAO

Submitted by MAO on Tue, 26/03/2019 - 12:25

There are so many information on our business card in my country, including chinese name, english name, work position, phone number, email address, company's name, company's address, and so on.