A phone call from a customer

Listen to the phone call from a customer to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Junko: Hello, Junko Mori speaking. How can I help you?

Andrea: Hi, Junko, it's Andrea here from Red Band. I'm calling about our latest order.

Junko: Everything arrived OK, right? We got the delivery confirmation at our end.

Andrea: Yes, everything's fine with the order. I'm calling about the invoice and the payment terms. I need a favour.

Junko: A favour? What do you need?

Andrea: This is a little, er ... difficult, but I need an extension on the payment terms. I know they're usually 30 days, but we're having some cash flow problems. You'd really be helping us out if you could extend it to 60 days.

Junko: I'm not sure if I can do that, Andrea. We've got regulations at our end, and also have to manage our own cash flow.

Andrea: I promise this won't become the norm, Junko. Actually, I also want to place another new order. The same size order as last time. It's for an important customer and they pay on delivery.

Junko: I see. So your cash flow problem will be solved after this new order is delivered.

Andrea: Exactly.

Junko: That sounds good. Hold on, Andrea. Let me see what I can do. Yes, I think we can make an exception this time.

Andrea: That's great, Junko. I appreciate your help.

Junko: And we appreciate your business, Andrea. It works both ways.

Andrea: Thanks again, Junko. Can you send me a quick email confirmation of the payment terms extension?

Junko: Sure, no problem. We're happy to help you.

Andrea: Great. And I'll email you the new order.

Junko: Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it. Talk to you soon.

Andrea: You too. Goodbye.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

B1 English level (intermediate)

Submitted by Febi Febrina on Wed, 28/08/2019 - 00:59

How to download the audio?

Hello Febi Febrina,

I'm afraid the audio isn't available to download from our pages. You can, of course, listen as often as you like on the page.

Submitted by Afki on Fri, 16/08/2019 - 14:16

Ofcourse i did; the clients and the poor people that have’nt enough money in there lives. Becouse Allah regard us.

Submitted by Ha Hung on Thu, 08/08/2019 - 04:36

Yes, sometimes, I asked my team for early delivery materials for production

Submitted by Chrystèle on Thu, 08/08/2019 - 02:03

I do not have any clients. But if i could help i'll do it with minimum of precautious.

Submitted by starfish2019 on Wed, 07/08/2019 - 18:18

Do you ever do favours or make exceptions for important clients? Yes, sometimes I did favors for my Important clients, but that depends on the case and calculate how much it would bring for the company benefits and our target goals.
Profile picture for user Anaitat

Submitted by Anaitat on Thu, 01/08/2019 - 12:09

Do favours and make exceptions for important clients in a normal and standard practice between parts of a contract, I think. Together everyone accomplishes more! The contractual parts should interact by solving problems.
Profile picture for user Anaitat

Submitted by Anaitat on Thu, 01/08/2019 - 12:01

To my mind is a model and coherence phone dialogue between a customer and a supplier. Both - the customer and the supplier - are focused on the objective problem and solve them in just a few minutes. Really, brevity is the sister of talent. And both are effective at their workplaces.

Submitted by dan on Sun, 21/07/2019 - 04:37

Hello, My motto in life is to do good every day. It is not easy. In some days i tried hard to respect my engagement. I remember that in the past i helped financially a very good friend. It was a big value for me. Our friendship was in danger to loose because he did't respect the commitment. He returned the loan with 18 month delay. At that moment i had some problems paying for my daughter's study. i finally got the money and everything is OK!

Submitted by Sumayah_137 on Sun, 21/07/2019 - 00:40

How can I download the podcast?

Hello Sumayah_137

On a computer, right-click on top of the audio player and then choose 'Save Audio As'. Some phones or tablets probably won't let you easily download the audio, so I'd recommend using a computer if possible.

All the best

On phone you can download firefox or some other browser that allows you to save audio by long pressing the audio player.

Submitted by ALI MOUSSAWI on Sat, 20/07/2019 - 22:16

YES make exception for important customers that take what they need only from you company ever , and for store owners whom take a lot item , that's found in the who'll the world
Profile picture for user Tony son of Gondor

Submitted by Tony son of Gondor on Thu, 18/07/2019 - 16:54

I don't have any clients, but when I'm asked for help if I can, I always try to help.

Submitted by Abdelboun on Tue, 16/07/2019 - 22:51

Yes, we used to do favours to our clients especially for the important ones ,as we work all the time with them we have to deal with this kind of situations but at the same time we must manage not to cause losses for our firm.
Profile picture for user liliaveras

Submitted by liliaveras on Tue, 16/07/2019 - 11:45

Yes, I think that If you won’t have problems in your company you can help a customer.

Submitted by Bharat on Sun, 14/07/2019 - 02:28

We are in living in human society so most of people depand on others people ,it's quite normal someone asking a favor so we have to make sure we help right person and check what is the circumstances he has ,our small assistance can be provide him good condition.
Profile picture for user Mercedes Quicano

Submitted by Mercedes Quicano on Sat, 13/07/2019 - 13:28

In first, I have see what kind of favor, because I can not break company rules, and second, sometimes I do it if it is possible.
Profile picture for user mewmallows

Submitted by mewmallows on Sat, 13/07/2019 - 11:40

Bismillaah. I've never done an extension to a customer because I'm still a student. I usually give an extension or exception to my friends when we have to do something in a group.

Submitted by Mohamed Walid Nagga on Mon, 01/07/2019 - 21:17

Hello, If we want to succed in the marketing and improuve the cash flow of the company we must to do favours or make exceptions for important client.But in the public service company is not possible because all their customer are equals, all customer is important for us and the rules must be respected.

Submitted by elena68 on Mon, 24/06/2019 - 18:03

I work as a headnurse in an Italian hospital. Patients and collaborators often ask me for favors, but it is not Always possible make exception to the established rules. You must pay attention to the specific situation, you must also compare yourself with the hierarchical superiors. not Always doing a favors matches the patient's good. Furthermore, if you do a collaborator's favor , you must then do it to everyone else to be fair

Submitted by Claudette Ndenzako on Sat, 22/06/2019 - 03:46

Doing favors and helping is part of my way of living with others in everyday life. I saw 2 children waiting to be collected by their carer who was unusually late. As I had their parents phone number, I called their mother who was sick and unable to pick up her children. She had asked a nanny to collect them but didn't notice that the nanny texted her to say that her son had a car crash and had to rush to the hospital to be with him. I offered to take the children at home with me and look after them until their dad finishes work and come and pick them up.

Submitted by SULLE on Fri, 14/06/2019 - 16:52

I believe everyone has made a favour to someone. The world need more humbled people who are willing to helps. Everyone should help each other in those suffering situation because one day you will stand there begging someone typo help you out.

Submitted by jeanpier on Tue, 11/06/2019 - 15:26

I think we should do favours at least some time in our life. Everyone is expected to face some unanticipated circumstances in life, so when we help other people out that is something very important. Indeed, we should be careful while doing a favor because some people are not honest. As result, this could bring about adverse effects in our life.
Profile picture for user Joelma

Submitted by Joelma on Sun, 09/06/2019 - 18:48

Sometimes you have to make excepcions for a trusted clientes.
Profile picture for user BRAHIM ABOULOUAFA

Submitted by BRAHIM ABOULOUAFA on Wed, 05/06/2019 - 10:24

Nice practice for ADV.

Submitted by cenzino.scaringi on Tue, 04/06/2019 - 22:51

I worked many years as a teacher in the primary school. The last ten years I used to be the responsible. Collegues, children, assistents and parents had often special needs, they asked for a special help. First of all I used to listen to them very carefully, it was often enough. Sometimes I had to carry the responsability of what I considered more important than the normal rule. I was an unusual responsible because for me people were more important than bureaucracy, but sometimes this can be dangerous and morally corrupting.

Submitted by Chiara Comapore on Tue, 04/06/2019 - 17:55

No I don't because I'm at the high school but one day , when I'll work I would like to help people,especially because I dream to become an hostess because I love keeping in contact with people and I love travelling and turning all over the world.But I love being nice with people such as Junko was with Andrea so I think maybe one day I'll do a favour to someone...
Profile picture for user uncle choi

Submitted by uncle choi on Sun, 02/06/2019 - 06:33

Thanks all the staffs for helps. I wonder if the customer's pronunciation at this dialogue is british one or not. Thanks. Best regards.
Hello uncle choi, The customer's English is very good, but he is not a native speaker. He is probably from Italy as Andrea is a common male name in Italy and his accent also sounds Italian. ~ Peter The LearnEnglish Team

Submitted by Luis Quiroa on Sat, 01/06/2019 - 16:08

Yes I Agree. Sometimes when the customer and clients trust each other you can give a credit for payments.
Profile picture for user Muhammad Haroon Ul Hasnain

Submitted by Muhammad Haroo… on Mon, 27/05/2019 - 12:16

yes, when I was at the courier service, I made sometimes exceptions for our regular clients, we didn't take signature on confirmation file if they were busy that time, then next time they signed it for us and previously one also.

Submitted by maria.khazaee on Sat, 25/05/2019 - 16:04

At first, i made an exception several times in different aspects including invoice,payment,delivery and design then it became a norm and we change our business model to customization platform. We made a new regulation to solve our cash flow problem which benefit both sides.

Submitted by Htet Htet Win on Fri, 24/05/2019 - 15:34

Yes, when I worked in the company, I have ever made exception for important customers.

Submitted by OmarAdelSherif on Thu, 23/05/2019 - 15:24

I do believe that exceptions in such transactions could be useful and could encourage lots of customers to deal with such supplier due to the flexibility in his delivery’s terms conditions which ensures exceptions like an extension on the payment terms for someone who bought already something from such supplier

Submitted by Mix on Sat, 18/05/2019 - 16:59

Well, if it is an important client, you can make an exception for sure, however, you need first to check with your boss and verify if you are entitlement for approving such requests.

Submitted by Charis Chang on Fri, 17/05/2019 - 07:47

when I was a waitress of my part-time job. there was a guest asked me to keep how much he ate in my money then he will pay back later. there was really funny because he already paid for it while I was ordering his meal.

Submitted by Akmal Karimov on Tue, 14/05/2019 - 11:20

Is this a transport logistics?

Submitted by liaben on Sun, 12/05/2019 - 00:52

I don't work with clients so I've never been in the situation which were necessary make an exemption.

Submitted by Ted507 on Wed, 08/05/2019 - 19:25

No I have never done favours for clients or customers because I dont work with them directly.

Submitted by leocadiabellas on Wed, 08/05/2019 - 05:54

Hi! I usually make exceptions with our most important clients and they are very grateful.

Submitted by Beltagy on Tue, 07/05/2019 - 21:16

I didn't do exceptions for clients before in the term of payment unless my manager approved that. But I did my best to help them whatever they are VIP or regular clients.

Submitted by Benghida on Fri, 03/05/2019 - 15:56

Thanks for this useful lesson.
Profile picture for user Hamilton_Mutemba

Submitted by Hamilton_Mutemba on Thu, 02/05/2019 - 20:54

Yes. But depends whwn justify weel, we need to be flexible to help everyone

Submitted by Marie17 on Thu, 02/05/2019 - 17:12

HI I am a social worker, also I do'nt make order,delivery and invoice... but if I worked in business I am sure that I would help the customers with extensions of payment because it is a way to foster loyalty customers , but I would do this ,only for the regular customer and if this don't become the norm. All the best marie 17

Submitted by Hassan Kamiin Mire on Wed, 01/05/2019 - 12:44

H! guys i hope you are doing well all of you wherever you are, after that i have not done any favor for a customer because am not worker for a company, but am still student I do deal with my classmates. great, I have a question about this, how can i answer the Task 2, I look forward hearing from your answer thanks.
Hello Hassan Kamiin Mire What you have to do is always move the words by clicking or pressing on the small white hands in the top right corner of the word boxes. Click or press on the hand to 'pick up' a word or box and then click or press on the small hand in any word or box that is already in a group to move it there. It sounds difficult but is quite easy once you see how it works. Please let us know if you have any more trouble with this, and sorry for the inconvenience! All the best Kirk The LearnEnglish Team

Submitted by concha62 on Tue, 30/04/2019 - 19:24

Yes, I did one last week. I work in small Hotel in the countryside of Bolulla. A cup of clients from Holand, they were old day out , when they came back ,she was exhausted because they precentered an accident and one person died in her arms, and although I had finished my work, I made for them sandwiches.