A class forum

Learn how to write a post on a class forum.

Reading text

Add your comment below:

So cool to read about everyone's home tradition they miss the most! I'm from England but I've been living in the States for five years and the thing I miss the most is Bonfire Night on November 5th.

The best thing about Bonfire Night is the fireworks, oh, and the bonfires! … and the history behind it. Basically, Guy Fawkes and his friends tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament and kill King James I. They nearly did it too – they hired a room under the House of Parliament and filled it with explosives. But someone told the royal palace. The authorities found Guy Fawkes in the room guarding the explosives, and he was sentenced to torture and death.

So it's a tradition that celebrates the fact that the king survived. It also means people don't forget what happens if you plot against your country. There's a kind of poem about it that starts 'Remember, remember the fifth of November, gunpowder, treason and plot.' That's why we build a 'guy' – a life-size model of Guy Fawkes – and burn it on the bonfire. Pretty dark and horrible when you think about it!

Tips

1. It's nice to start by saying something that shows you have read other people's posts.
  2. In a class forum you can be quite informal.
  3. In informal writing you can sometimes miss out the beginning of a phrase:
    So cool to read about everyone's home tradition ...
  4. Remember, in a forum you are part of a long conversation with a lot of other people so they might ask you questions.

Submitted by desouza on Sat, 03/04/2021 - 12:31

Hi, my names is didem. I am from turkey. I was born in Antalya but I have been living in İstanbul for 15 years. We have a lot of tradition but I want to talk about one of them. We're mostly muslim country and ıslamic cultere included of many tradtions. One of my best traditions celebreted' called Ramadan '. when I was a child, I was expecting with huge excitement for ramadan. first day in ramadan ,We were got up early in the morning and dressed up with new clothes, hugged each other in the family. After that ceromony , we went to grandmothers houses as we as other familys in muslim states. Because of that tradition needs to respekt and remember our all relations, friends, neighbourhoods. I was very intend that tradition, so I loved my great big family. my grandpapas gave me always money , our related gave me candys and nationel holiday everwhere nicely and warmly. I grew up with nice tradition . I have been not celebreting over 10 years that tradition because of my grandparents died. it has been not tasted as same as before.

Submitted by Rafa3l on Wed, 31/03/2021 - 12:05

Hi my name is Rafael and I live in Spain. In my country, a popular party is a "Fallas" in Valencia. During a one month the people eat and drink by the street. This party is by father´s day and this nigth the people burn some cardboard figures. During 30 days, the people eat paella and drink many alcohol. Its so funny. This was celebrate in a march.

Submitted by Oscar Mauricio… on Tue, 30/03/2021 - 22:59

It´s good to know new things about other countries custums. I´m Colombian, and here we don´t have a celebration like Bonfire Night in the UK. However we have some celebration days realtives to the independence of our country from the Spanish. Those celebrations usually correspond to battles that led the country to be independent. Other kind of celebrations are not national but correspond to regional or local special dates, where people celebrate cities foundation, carnivals, festivals, etc. It´s say that in Colombia, every weekend is running a festival or carnaval in any town or region of the country, I think that that´s why people in Colombia are one of the most happy people in the world.

Submitted by Amanullah Bin Nesar on Mon, 29/03/2021 - 15:21

I'm very happy reading the comments here; which are about everyone's tradition that they miss most. I'm from Bangladesh, a multicultural country, a multiracial as well. Here in Bangladesh, winter is one of the most celebrated seasons. In January, when the weather is pretty cool, we use to visit our village. Winter in village is far more different than that of in city. Countryside becomes adorned with heavy fog. Everywhere is full of patty-flavor. When night falls, we have bonfire in the crops field with a gathering of many relatives to get our bodies warmed. At morning, we breakfast with delicious patties. I badly missed my last winter as it was pandemic time; hence we were under lockdown in city.

Submitted by danteavante on Sat, 27/03/2021 - 16:41

I like to discover traditions around the world and it is nice to read all comments here about their traditions! I'm from São Paulo and a tradition I love is eating pastel, a kind of fried mass. We eat pastel with sugarcane juice. It is delicious!

Submitted by ivette.mejia on Wed, 24/03/2021 - 02:11

So interesting to read about the most exciting customs from all over the world. The tradition that I miss the most is November the first, The day of the dead. It is believed in our country, Mexico, each November the first our loved ones come down from the skies and the beyond to visit us. They find the path to their relatives and friends because our custom is to prepare a shrine with their favorite main course, pictures, and some tokens that help us to remind them. Even though our tradition has evolved and made a mix with the American Halloween custom it is still my favorite Holiday, it has a sort of mysticism to see the children and youth using original customes from supernatural characters.

Submitted by Amanul Ihsan on Wed, 24/03/2021 - 01:29

It is so nice to read some of the tradition of other countries. My name is Amanul and I'm from Indonesia. I want to point that our culture is greatly influenced by Islamic teaching, so the tradition of my country I love the most is eid al-fithr. Basically, in that day all of our family held a gathering together to celebrate and eating food, like ketupat and opor ayam.

Submitted by YED on Sat, 20/03/2021 - 02:26

It's very interesting to read about what tradition you miss more! I come from the French West Indies and there, we used to celebrate dead people we loved on november, the 1st and 2nd. Some people of the family, usually my grandmother, used go to the local cemetery to clean the graves in the morning. In the late afternoon, all the family started to prepare themeselves to go to the cemetary. Once there we lit candles on the graves, put flowers..it was very exiting when I was a child. Moreover, it was an occasion to meet the while family, aunts, uncles, cousins alive and dead ☺

Submitted by theany regort on Wed, 17/03/2021 - 19:28

It's been very funny to find out all the differences but also all the similarities between countries. My favorite mexican tradition is all the ritual we make around baby Jesus in christmas. Firs we sing a song called "posada" that is about Jose and María trying to find a place where they can stay the night until she gives birth to bby Jesus. Then we lull to sleep to a figure of a bby Jesus, we kiss his forehead and receive sweets form the owner of the figure. Finally we break the piñata as a symbol of our liberation from the seven capital sins. I know it sounds very intense, but it's actually very funny.

Submitted by palensuardi on Tue, 16/03/2021 - 21:23

It is wonderful to get to know traditions from all around the glove. I am from Dominican Republic and I live in the North Cost of the island. Sancocho (a kind of soup with a lot of meat, yuccas, plantains and more), the Dominican flag (rice, beans, and meat), and mangu (smashed plantains) are some of our traditional dishes. However, sweet beans are my favorites among all of them. Red beans, sugar, cow and coconut milk along with cinnamon and a pinch of salt are the basic ingredients to prepare this exotic and delicious dish. Sweet beans are eaten around The Holy Week; it is a time to remember Jesus´ life and to be with family. For me is just more than perfect to enjoy a hot bowl of sweet beans with cookies and raisings a long with my loved ones. It is said that sweet beans are a mishmash of flavors of all continents and represent Dominican culture because it was here were the ingredients became a traditional plate for our culture. No other country eats beans sweetened like in Dominican Republic. It is a unique dish from Quisqueya (how the island is called sometimes). I hope that you reading this someday have the opportunity to taste sweet beans prepared by a Dominican. I am definitely sure that you will never forget its flavor.

Submitted by hassainar on Fri, 12/03/2021 - 11:36

It is nice to read about different traditions and celebrations all over the world. As i am from south India and a Muslim we have a mixed tradition, a trdition of islam and south india tradition. I love to be with family on the occasion Eid which is one of the main festival for muslims. I love to visit friends and family homes on the day of Eid. People were very busy one the night before Eid buying new dresses for them and there family. Everybody is very happy on that day.
Yes, a nice tradition. I think Muslims in the world do it. And in my country Lebanon the early morning of Eid, people go to the local cemetery to honorand remember the passed away relatives.

Submitted by Guizi on Thu, 11/03/2021 - 02:03

Hello everyone, it's so cool to see how traditions can vary from country to country or even place to place in the same country. I'm from Brazil and the tradition I like the most here is to be among my friends watching a soccer game. The thing I like the most about this tradition is that we always disagree on how our team should be playing the game. Sometimes the same person complains about how bad a player is performing in one game and in the next game, the same person praises the same player. It's hilarious! The best of this situation is that we always end watching the games by laughing at each other and this keep us very excited for the next game.

Submitted by Elina300697 on Sun, 07/03/2021 - 16:54

Hello, guys. I very like to read about different traditions, every time you can learn something new about other countries and their cultures and traditions. I’m Armenian by nationality, but now I’m living in Russia. So I want to tell about the Saint Sarkis’s day. On the eve of Valentines Day girls cook a special salt cake for divination. They make a wish to see their beloved in a dream and eat a piece of pie.He must appear in a dream and ask for a drink. So funny and amazing =)

Submitted by marisolar on Fri, 05/03/2021 - 19:55

Hello guys, I really appreciate to know a little bit of your country's traditions. It's very special to share and read so rich experiences with you. I'm from Brazil and my favorite holiday is on February when we celebrate the carnival. As the Brazil is a very large coutry, each region has its own way to celebrate this date. And I love enjoy the Carnival on Olinda's City, because is three days of party with a lot of popular manifestations as maracatu groups, coco de roda, frevo, reggae and etc. As a northstearn Brazilian I feel so connected with the energy of this moment, when we can forget all problems and fall in revelry. Antônio that goes to Olinda in Carnival time never forget. It's wonderful.

Submitted by Ari on Wed, 03/03/2021 - 10:28

It is so interesting and fascinating to read about different traditions in other countries. I am a Bulgarian by nationality, but I leave my whole life in Moldova. My favorite tradition is Wine Day (or Vine Day) , which is celebrated on the 2nd Sunday in October. I can say with confidence that winemaking is in the blood of every Moldovan. Even if you look at the map, you will see that Moldova looks like a bunch of grapes. The festival is a parade of winemakers with musical and choreographic compositions. Guests are invited to taste the best wine in combination with national dishes. The festival ends with a large dance called ''Hora'' (Moldovan folk dance). Have a nice day!

Submitted by Gao on Sun, 28/02/2021 - 09:47

It is so interesting to read about everyone's home tradition. I am from East Laos. The thing I love the most in my country tradition in Li Xi on Lunar New Year. The best thing about it is children receive Li Xi from adults and the history behind it. Basically, adults hope children have good health and always have good luck so they give them Li Xi. Li Xi traditionally is a red envelop with small money inside. The red color is believed that can avoid evils and money means good luck. Nowadays, there are many changes. The envelop color can be vary such as yellow, orange, blue, etc.. And the small money becomes big money. Even the tradition has been change through out the time but I still love it. Kids enjoy receiving Li Xi from grandparents, Mom, Dad, older siblings and others. They keep it as secret until bring it home and excited to open it. I hope this tradition will be maintained with good intention so that kiddos can enjoys it.

Submitted by Adrian49 on Wed, 24/02/2021 - 13:34

When winter goes away and spring arrives a lot of children prepare figure of Marzanna, goddness of winter. She is built by using sticks and straw. We put clothes on her and then build a bonfire and burn her or throw her in a river. It's a symbol of the arrival of spring - Jaryle, god of spring.

Submitted by jose luis torr… on Tue, 23/02/2021 - 02:48

It's very interesting to know some traditions from other countries. I'm from Peru and we have a lot singular history episodes. I've read about Incas, civil wars, conflict with other countries are parts of our past.

Submitted by Abrarhussain on Mon, 22/02/2021 - 14:00

In my country the tradition I like best is the Holy month of Ramzan. For many years this special tradition of fasting has brought the Islamic community together in spiritual ways and a feeling of peace and harmony. The blessing of this Holy month attracts more people to the mosques.

Submitted by Norba on Sat, 20/02/2021 - 11:30

Hello everyone, So many things to learn from your comments. I'm from Syria in the middle east. From a small town where we have Akito celebration. Akito is the new year (B.C.) for a very ancient civilization of the assyrian people. Akito celebrations last for 7 days to welcome spring season. We go to a green lands, set our tents, wear our costumes, dance and have our special food. I wait for this week every year as it keeps me attached to my family, relatives and it helps us not to forget our traditions.

Submitted by Antoni Luna on Fri, 19/02/2021 - 19:29

Hello! everyone. I'm from Dominican Republic, you probably don't know about this beautiful island in the Carribean Sea and we don't have traditions like Halloween, but we celebrate other kind of traditions among which ones my favorite is the civil war of April 25th, and you probably think that a civil war is not a cause of celebration but actually it represents the day when dominican people fight united against oppression.

Submitted by sxweetlollipop on Thu, 18/02/2021 - 09:07

Hello everyone! It's wonderful to know traditions around the world. I'm from Vietnam, and it's such a coincident that I'm currently having Lunar New Year holiday here. We celebrate LNY, or "Tet" in our language, on the first week of every lunar year. There are many practices to be done before and during the holiday, mainly relevant to our ancestors. It's also a chance to clean up and decorate our home for the incoming year, as a new fresh start. But above all, what we all look forwards to Tet is the time we get to spend with those we love. It's a chance to see your distant relatives, your old friends, or those who had been going abroad the whole year, and give eachother beautiful wishes. However, Tet wouldn't be whole if we don't count another unique tradition in. During Tet, it is expected for adults to give money in red envelopes to children, and so they will receive a (childish) wish in return. There are lots of tradition on Tet holiday, and together, they make Tet an unforgettable experience, to be looked forward to by both children and adults. Have an awesome new year everyone!
Hélio sxweetlollipop! I like pretty much to know a little about Vietnam's tradition. But I have a doubt, your country follows the lunar calendar?

Submitted by mafaa.k on Tue, 16/02/2021 - 17:24

Hi guys. I am from Uzbekistan. From my point of view a few people know about this country. Unfortunately, there are not celebrations as hallowen or carnival in my country. However, we celebrate Navruz every year for ages. It is our traditional holiday. And it is celebrate in 21st Mart. Navruz is the beginning of spring. Basically, on this day we wear traditional dresses, that called Atlas, and cook traditional foods of our country. It can be somsa, plov, pie-apples. But especcially revered traditional food we cook on Navruz is Sumalyak. Sumalyak taste like Nutella, but it is not nutella. I can not think that it is cool, but i do not like this holiday. Because it is a little boring to me. In spite of this many people like this. if you want knew more information, you could search it in google. ( if i had mistakes, write me) And please say me, how i can improve my speaking. Or lets create a speaking club!

Hello mafaa.k,

Thanks for telling us about Navruz and how you celebrate it. If any other person reading this wants to know more, there's also a page about this holiday in our Magazine.

I'm afraid we don't correct our users texts, but if there's a specific phrase or sentence you want to ask us about, feel free.

The best thing to do to improve your speaking is of course practise speaking with other people. Even if they are not native speakers, it's still useful.

I'd also encourage you to choose sentences from our Listening and Speaking pages that you think would be useful in your speaking, either because they are difficult to pronounce or because they could be useful in different conversations. Practise saying that phrase over and over again until it's easy to say. Check your pronunciation with the recording. Then do the same thing with the other phrases or sentences you've chosen. Do this a couple of times a day for several days, until you can remember and say them all confidently.

Write them down in a notebook and then choose another set of sentences from another listening and follow the same procedure. Gradually, you will build up your speaking fluency and vocabulary, and improve your pronunciation and listening.

Good luck and let us know if that works for you!

Submitted by fmayr on Tue, 16/02/2021 - 07:47

Personally, I quite like "Berchteln". You dress up completely in white, even covering your face, and go from house to house. There the people have to guess who you are. Afterwards kids get sweets and adults get alchol and you move on. Our town has its own little tradion when it comes to "Berchteln". In the rest of Austria people dress up either fully white or fully black. We only wear white. That is because there once was an old lady who would only led in those dressed in white. Thus everyone started doing that.

Submitted by giuseppegualtieri on Sun, 14/02/2021 - 18:28

Hi everyone, I'm Italian and as most of you already know, we have a lot of popular tradition. My favourite is definitively Carnival, which is fourty days before Easter. This year is 14-15-16th February but for the pandemic many events has been cancelled. We use to wear ourself with strange costume: for one day you can be your favorite hero going out for the street of your city and nobody will think that you are crazy. It's more or less like Halloween, but it during 3 days. Also it's tradition to eat "le chiacchiere", which is like biscuit prepared for this special event. Even better in the Carnival in Venice, but unfortunately it's very far from my home. In Venice is tradition that the Carnival starts with a man disguised as an angel who jumps off the Bell Tower of Saint Mark. When he touch the groud we can say that the Carnival it starts. If you don't know this tradition please check on youtube. See ya

Submitted by Dalmi on Wed, 10/02/2021 - 12:42

Actually, i don't know much about the traditions in my country. It's because there is too many culture in my country. For me, Ngaben is tradision that i like most. Basically, it's tradition from Bali where the dead buried until he become an ash. I don't know how the history. Another thing that I know about this tradition is it is expensive. Therefore only the wealth who held this tradition.

Submitted by lucasfuini on Thu, 04/02/2021 - 16:02

What tradition do you like best from your country? So cool to listen reports of different countries and cultures. In Brazil we have parties that celebrate religious icons and in the other part there are pagan events. In my memories i remember of the 13th May Party in Itapira, São Paulo state. This celebration remember of Slavery Freedom Date since it begging the afro-descendants community promote expressions of traditional rithms and musics (named congada) around the São Benedict church, a black saint. This celebrations has 120 years of history.

Submitted by viviac on Wed, 03/02/2021 - 02:23

Hello everyone. It's really nice to know more about your traditions. I´m from Mexico and one of the most popular celebrations here is "Dia de Los Muertos" or Day of the Death on the 1st and 2nd of November. The festivity is a mix of a catholic tradition and prehispanic cult. In those days, we celebrate death in the sense that we remember our dead beloved ones by setting an "altar" where we put their favourite food and drinks and decorate it with flowers, and candles. Then, it is not that we are happy that they are dead or to celebrate death per se, but its a day to not forget the people we loved and it is not anymore with us. I think a good representation of our festivity you can find it in the Disney movie "Coco". I recommend to watch it if you want to understand it better. Cheers.

Submitted by duyb7hmu on Mon, 01/02/2021 - 19:40

Hi, everyone. This platform is wonderful. I'm trying to prepare myself for a CV. They ask me CV in English, now with my English level, this is impossible. But if I don't fight tooth and nail, who will know the result. I'll come back as soon as I can. All the best, thank you.

Submitted by Adriana on Mon, 01/02/2021 - 14:15

Hello Everyone! I'm very happy to participate in this forum. I'm brazilian from São Paulo but actually I live in Niteroi near Rio de Janeiro. Here the Carnival is very tradition party. This party is known all over the word and many people travel to Brazil to participate this party. I love carnival and we say we play carnival. Unfortunately, in 2021 we will not have carnival because the pandemic COVID-19 it's still reality and we don't have vaccine for all.

Submitted by Tayyab on Mon, 01/02/2021 - 05:48

Hi I am Tayyab. I am here to learn my writing skills and hopefully Mr.Kirk will guide me to correct and improve my skills. This story is very interesting and reminds me the different traditions in my own country. If we see around the globe there will be lot of traditions and few of them are shared in forum.

Submitted by Júlia Verônica… on Sun, 31/01/2021 - 19:07

Hey everyone, it’s really nice to read about your traditions. I love to know more about other cultures. Here in Brazil, especially in the Northeast, we celebrate Saints John in a very typical way. We build bonfires in the streets and roast corn, we cook several corn foods like canjica and pamonha; also sweet rice with cinnamon. We wear colorful plaid shirts and straw hats, girls paint freckles on theirs faces, and boys paint mustaches. People form quadrilhas which is a traditional dance in which couples dance our northeast folk songs: forró pé de serra and xaxado. Kids are there on the streets playing with bombs and firecrackers.

Submitted by Andrea Valencia on Sat, 30/01/2021 - 17:50

The most important tradition in my country is called "The day o the dead", it's a big celebration, all towns in the country make big festivals for this day.

Submitted by Hebaoraby on Tue, 26/01/2021 - 20:47

I'm so honored to participate in this platform to learn English language. Firstly I don't know How I can write about traditional festival in my country or in my view. I should write a basic story or formal essay? Thanks

Hello Hebaoraby,

We're happy that you're here. What kind of text you should write depends on who's going to read it and what your purpose is in writing it. The example above is quite informal since it's in an online discussion forum. If you're going to write a text to put in a comment on this page, I'd say something informal would be more appropriate than a formal text.

Submitted by Htet Su Naing on Thu, 21/01/2021 - 19:02

I'm from Myanmar. There are many seasonable festivals in my country. Among them, my most favorite one is Myanmar Thingyan Water Festival. We hold it for 4 days from April 12th to 16th. On the first day of Thingyan, we make Traditional Burmese foods at home and share with our neighbors. Some donates foods on the road and anyone can eat there. Some makes good deeds by doing religious matters at home or monasteries. Others visit famous place all over the city with family or friends and play with water for all 4 days. The flowers called Pa Dauk that blooms only during Thingyan are very beautiful and fragrant. Myanmar New Year is on April 17th. To welcome the new year, we go to famous pagodas (e.g. Shwedagon Pagoda) and worship Buddha. Then we do good deeds by releasing the animals on sale safely and feed them foods. I'm very happy to celebrate this traditional festival and always hope to arrive Thingyan holidays very soon. If you enjoy my comment, I would like to invite you to join Thingyan festival once.

Submitted by Saad786 on Thu, 21/01/2021 - 15:38

The most common and liked tradition of my country is Basant on any day between 25th January and 10th February every year. People fly kites and compete with each other.

Submitted by Yeetsing on Mon, 18/01/2021 - 19:43

It's so great to see different festivals and traditions of countries. In my country, my favourite festival is the Spring Festival. It is the new year according to lunar calendar. At the new year's eve, family members will gather around and have rich dinner, where the most common food is dumplings. People will light fireworks to drive away the unlucky things in the last year and stick ''Fu'' ( a character means blessings) and couplets inside the house to wish lucky in the next year. Moreover, the best part I love about Spring Festival is that kids can get red envelops which contains money from elders. The experiences in Spring Festival is the most happy and sweet memories of my hometown.

Submitted by Claudia94 on Sun, 17/01/2021 - 23:34

I am so glad to read and learn about other customs!, I am from El Salvador in Central America and the tradition that i admire the must is when that when you visit a family specially in rural areas or low income places; they recived you with their open hands even if there is not much to offert; a warm cup of coffe and a "tortilla" (a tipical flatbread made of corn) is always there for you.

Submitted by Jesús_Rivera on Fri, 15/01/2021 - 01:08

Hello! I´m Jesus and I just started to learn english. I have a cuestion, do you remember all of post with all details?? becase I always forgot some information. Hahahaha Only happens to me?

Submitted by nancyvirginiare on Wed, 13/01/2021 - 17:31

Im from Venezuela, South America. My favorite tradition is to ask bendición/blessing to your oldest relatives, like parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles. So, everytime you see them, the first thing that you have to do is to ask for their blessing, their response always is: God bless you. After that you can talk about everything.

Submitted by ceryan41 on Tue, 12/01/2021 - 12:05

so cool to read about cultural tradion from all over the world. ın turkey there are many kind of activties depends on geopraphical area. Most those activities like cultural heritage. Unfurtonely nowadays it could no be hold on as a regular I will only try to explain kissing hand on eid . This is a kind of respect seremony to older people.

Submitted by Maxuzbek on Sat, 09/01/2021 - 18:49

I like this festival I hope one day I will celebrate this festuval in the UK, I love traveling and exploring different culteres and attending to different festivals for example in Mexico there is a festival about dead people, but never been to in these kind of festivals.

Submitted by yuyu on Fri, 08/01/2021 - 11:03

I like Thingyan festival best. We celebrate it by pouring water to others. In the past time, people poured water with a bunch of Thapyay adding in a silver water bowl. This festival is interested by most people since it is summer time and Thingyan water festival is being matched.