Meeting other students

Listen to a group of new students meeting for the first time to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Teacher: So, now you've got the important information, it's time to meet each other. Everyone turn to the people next to you and introduce yourselves.

Cara: So, hi. I'm Cara. And you are?

Robert: Robert.

Selim: Selim.

Cara: Nice to meet you!

Robert and Selim: You too.

Robert: Nice accent. Where are you from?

Cara: I'm from Glasgow.

Robert: Oh, really? My mum's from near Glasgow, so I'm half Scottish.

Cara: Cool. Do you live in Scotland?

Robert: No, we live in England, near Manchester. My dad's from there. What about you, Selim?

Selim: I'm from Leeds originally but I grew up near London.

Cara: Are you both doing history on its own?

Selim: No. I'm doing history and German.

Robert: I'm doing it with maths, actually.

Selim: History and maths. That's different!

Robert: Yeah, I couldn't decide between arts and sciences. Maths doesn't help with remembering dates, though! And you?

Cara: I'm doing history and French.

Selim: I wanted to do French but German was easier, so I took that.

Cara: German is so hard!

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Submitted by Antonyu19 on Sun, 22/03/2020 - 02:16

I'd like to be a fluent english speaker. So I going to study the language.

Submitted by jason2295 on Thu, 05/03/2020 - 01:12

Hi, I like to study French and English. But when I was in School I love the maths.

Submitted by Eswar on Sat, 22/02/2020 - 06:33

Can anyone explain In preparation Task Why Arts sections comes under French, german and history?

Hello Eswar

In many universities, departments are grouped into larger groups such as 'Arts' and 'Sciences'. 'Arts' includes many subjects besides the visual arts, such as, for example, languages. You can read a bit more about this in the Wikipedia if you're curious.

All the best

Submitted by IMEN ABBES on Thu, 20/02/2020 - 16:43

I like sciences subjects; but actually I need to improve my english for my professional career.

Submitted by Khin Nyein Chan on Thu, 20/02/2020 - 15:22

I like to study Maths and English.

Submitted by s4lemm on Tue, 18/02/2020 - 17:03

I love to study english, spanish and laws.

Submitted by siciidgaagaale on Wed, 12/02/2020 - 18:12

there are many stages in education system ,primary ,secondary and university . now i am in secondry i have got 10 subject .to be honest i like almost all of them ,buth there are some subject that i find difficult to gain good markes if try to do so i have to do more and more effort.

Submitted by Vidyasagar on Wed, 12/02/2020 - 14:07

I like to study English, Geography and Ethics.

Submitted by Hilma on Tue, 11/02/2020 - 11:23

Hi My mother tongue is frenchband i'am a german teacher. I find all langages interesting. It is really Amazing when i Can communicate with Persons from different countries

Submitted by Lilian Justiniano on Sat, 25/01/2020 - 20:56

Hi, I like to study maths and English because it's very important for my professional life.

Submitted by MaryaSun on Thu, 16/01/2020 - 16:18

Hi, i like to study geography and art. I am a Scenographer and i like a lot theatre's world, so.I like to study and discover all that concern theatre, e.g. scenography, lights, the gestures of actors, theatre's make up, the direction but also the story of theatres and their sculptures.

Submitted by ofti on Tue, 07/01/2020 - 22:20

Hello, i want to speak english fluently

Submitted by shahhoseini on Mon, 23/12/2019 - 13:22

I studied engineering. I decide to study and learn English. I want to speak English fluently.
Profile picture for user Mohamad-Altaha

Submitted by Mohamad-Altaha on Sun, 22/12/2019 - 13:35

I really like the Nuclear field

Submitted by Mdolores on Sat, 14/12/2019 - 12:08

I like to be engineer in general, but I have done building engineering. Letter careers are very interesting but I need work in contact with the street

Submitted by Ulfa on Wed, 04/12/2019 - 18:43

When I was school, I liked math, physic, and chemistry. It's so fun. P. S. I'm sorry if my English is bad, because I studying and improving my english:)

Submitted by Pawani on Wed, 04/12/2019 - 12:27

I like to study music. It's a very interesting subject. Also I would like hair dressing.

Submitted by Dariusz on Sun, 24/11/2019 - 00:56

When I went to the school I liked a physical education the most.

Submitted by subedi sweety on Tue, 12/11/2019 - 11:14

i like to study English because its important and fun. Going through the grammar and with the phrase is quite interesting. I love speaking it as well its quite satisfying and overwhelming.
Profile picture for user Alina Okt.

Submitted by Alina Okt. on Thu, 07/11/2019 - 20:00

I like to study Maths. Love it

Submitted by Nasser_mo on Mon, 04/11/2019 - 14:04

I like history because it makes us understand the past, the present and the future .

Submitted by Syed Rifat on Thu, 31/10/2019 - 14:48

It is very difficult to capture information once heard.

Submitted by putrielissya on Sat, 05/10/2019 - 17:16

I have completed the lesson for "Meeting Other Students". The level I chose is Beginner A1.

Hello putrielissya,

I just wanted to explain why we have not published your other comments. Our comments section is for asking questions about or commenting on the content of the page. Sometimes we allow other comments, but if there are too many, this makes it more difficult for other users to use our site.

Submitted by nurul ashikin on Thu, 03/10/2019 - 07:39

Submitted by Abdelmouttalib on Sat, 28/09/2019 - 13:27

I like to study English and computer sciences.

Submitted by Paispaan on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 08:27

I have completed the following lesson of a Meeting Other Students. The level that I chose was beginner.

Submitted by raza.umar on Mon, 16/09/2019 - 18:03

I am Student of Media Studies. So, the courses related to media studies are my favorite.
Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Submitted by Magedelabd on Mon, 19/08/2019 - 19:06

I like to study computer science . it is the most used technology used nowadays. and it is evolved in every thing .

Submitted by Longan1991 on Sun, 18/08/2019 - 03:15

That I would like some subjects depends on each stage. But I was in the university, I only wanted to learn my major- economic law. And now I want to learn English because of its importance. Whẹn You learn English well, you will have job opportunities, jobs which are paid quite high, you can communicate with foreigners, ,,, Learning E benefits very much
Profile picture for user Caterina Siligardi

Submitted by Caterina Siligardi on Sat, 17/08/2019 - 17:35

Hi. I like to study foreign languages :firstly English, then Chinese. When I was a student I studied the French language. Studying languages is very fun!!
Profile picture for user shahramuteng

Submitted by shahramuteng on Thu, 15/08/2019 - 22:15

what subjects or what major? about subjects, I like that one which related to art and engineering, such an architect course. furthermore, I like math and astronomy.

Submitted by Toanrt on Sat, 03/08/2019 - 08:20

English 1 and for all ^^

Submitted by samreenmkhan on Tue, 30/07/2019 - 10:54

Well that's a difficult question hmm i like accounting when i am able to understand it like when my concepts are clear it becomes easier and then i can do my exercises easily and it becomes fun but it becomes boring and hard when my concept is not clear about a specific topic or question.

Submitted by Mohd_tom1990 on Wed, 24/07/2019 - 18:50

If i meet new friend in University i interoduced my self first name and countery after that I aske him about name and countery. That is easy. Thx british conusil.

Submitted by gedi on Wed, 24/07/2019 - 14:54

i would like to learn history because you know more information about the past history and also you can guess the future using past history

Submitted by Cho on Fri, 05/07/2019 - 04:23

My favourite subject is English. It supports my career, too.

Submitted by Praveen kumar on Thu, 04/07/2019 - 15:01

Now my favourite subject is english :).

Submitted by popo1011 on Tue, 02/07/2019 - 05:45

I like to study interior designer, But I studied surveying. If I could one day, certainly, I study it.

Submitted by Diana0419 on Sun, 30/06/2019 - 07:25

My favourite subject is English because my university major's subject is English. I started to learn English when I was three years old. English is a little bit difficult, but it's my motivation to keep on studying.
Profile picture for user teddysl

Submitted by teddysl on Sun, 30/06/2019 - 03:53

i'm always with information technology but i don't like exams!
Profile picture for user TP

Submitted by TP on Sun, 30/06/2019 - 03:50

I like to study languages. English is my favourite. However, I have learned Japanese and Hindi. Learning a language gives you the opportunity to explore many other things related with it. Apart from that, like I like history and astronomy.

Submitted by Kavi on Sun, 30/06/2019 - 03:48

I like to study account subject.It's very easy to me.

Submitted by abdalhameed on Fri, 14/06/2019 - 13:16

I finished medicine 5 months ago, I love this subject.

Submitted by Setareh on Sun, 09/06/2019 - 05:04

I like to study math and i studied it;

Submitted by Agata2021 on Mon, 03/06/2019 - 14:00

I finished psychology. I want to become psychoterapist and work in mental hospital.

Submitted by Omran on Mon, 27/05/2019 - 00:56

Actually from again i like to study Chemistry and math i saw it easy when you love it because you will study it more and more which mean that will make you better, I hope i find the these two subjects in my future specialization.

Submitted by HamidrezaNazem on Thu, 23/05/2019 - 13:24

Actually, I like to continue my education on Electronics Engineering and especially in Hardware designing. I hold a bachelor of Science in Electronics Engineering and I'm living in Denmark right now. If can I get IELTS, I can educate in Master of Science and maybe in future Ph.D.