Meeting an old friend

Listen to the conversation between two old friends to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Selina: Patrick? Is that you?

Patrick: Selina! Hello!

Selina: Well, well. Patrick Eastwood. How have you been?

Patrick: Good. Great, actually. How are you? I haven't seen you for ... how long?

Selina: It's been ages. At least fifteen years. Wow.

Patrick: Yeah. Wow.

Patrick and Selina: So, what are you doing here?

Selina: Sorry, you go first.

Patrick: OK. What are you doing here? I thought you'd moved to London.

Selina: I was in London for a couple of years. But it didn't work out.

Patrick: Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Are you ... OK?

Selina: I'm fine! The dream job wasn't really a dream, you know? Um ... and London is great but it's so expensive. I mean, just the rent on a flat is ... uh … crazy expensive.

Patrick: I see.

Selina: So, I came back. I've been back now for almost five months. Living back home with Mum and Dad. Which is err ... interesting. Um ... but anyway, what about you?

Patrick: Me? Oh, nothing new. You know me – 'Patrick the predictable'. I never left here.

Selina: Oh. And is that ...?

Patrick: Oh, I'm very happy. I'm married now. We've just celebrated our tenth anniversary.

Selina: No way! You? Married? To …?

Patrick: I don't think you know her. Her name's Marigold. And we've got two kids. They're five and eight years old.

Selina: Married and with two kids? Wow!

Patrick: Don't look so surprised!

Selina: No, no … I'm just amazed how time flies! I'm happy for you. I really am.

Patrick: Thanks. You should really come round to the house one day.

Selina: That would be great. Let's swap numbers and ...

Submitted by Miho Watanabe on Tue, 28/07/2020 - 11:17

Yes, I do. But the number of my old friends is very small. Maybe it is two or three friends. I used to meet my old friends, but I cannot meet them due to corona virus recently. So I always contact them with using applications. When I talk with them, I can relax, so I would like to see them as soon as possible.

Submitted by XimenaMoon on Thu, 23/07/2020 - 01:22

Yes, I do. I love catching up with my friends, even if it hasn't been years since the last time I saw them.

Submitted by IKEDA on Wed, 22/07/2020 - 08:58

Although I didn't keep in touch with my old friends very much before, I sometimes began to contact with them thanks to social media services recently.

Submitted by furlix09 on Mon, 20/07/2020 - 06:17

Yes, i do. I have several old friends, we have a many years happy time. They are important for me in my life.

Submitted by Sharif Tayyebi on Tue, 14/07/2020 - 14:58

Yes, I do. I have kept in touch with most of them. Friends from school and university and even some of them are from the age of our childhood. We are having in touch, but we slightly see each other. I found them in Facebook and we usually get in touch with. Sometimes we talk on messanger. For example, I and my friends from M.A. degree have a group on messanger and usually share information or greet together via that group. Also I get in touch by email with some of my friends who are not in Facebook and so on. But I know that there are some others and I haven't gotten in touch for ages. I miss all of them. Regards, Tayyebi

Submitted by wahbi baklouti on Fri, 03/07/2020 - 20:07

yes, I do most of them. i try as i can to meet they but it's very difficult because now everyone has his life and engagement.

Submitted by Mennatallah on Thu, 11/06/2020 - 12:45

Yes i am. All of my best old friend we in touch until now.

Submitted by mouna99 on Tue, 26/05/2020 - 15:18

Yes I do with most of them

Submitted by AMOUGOU Abega … on Wed, 13/05/2020 - 08:58

obviously i keep in touch with my former classmates, and it's often so amazing when each of us speaks about her or his life.

Submitted by Susana Alcaraz on Tue, 12/05/2020 - 22:13

I have 3 friends who spoke to me with two of them and my other friend did not speak to him for some time and I miss him a lot every day.

Submitted by Massimo on Mon, 11/05/2020 - 08:14

Yes, I keep in touch with some my high school and university classmates and childhood friends. It’s very important to me because I remember old days and I’m very happy about that.

Submitted by IBRAHIM HAMID on Sun, 10/05/2020 - 13:37

Yes, fortunately I keep in touch with old friends specially my friends from the primary school, and number of classmates of university, we have WhatsApp group.

Submitted by teya10 on Thu, 07/05/2020 - 01:53

no unfortunatly i'm not keeping in touch with my old friends, actually this lesson remembers me my first best friend we met at the middle school i really liked her we were such a sisters even our teachers told us that we look alike and we have same gestures, we haven't seen each other for a long time for almost 8 years and i'm amzed how time flies, i wish that she is doing well

Submitted by micaela on Sat, 25/04/2020 - 02:20

Sincerely, I don't keep in touch with all my old friends, because only some of them are my friend now. I think it's commun that people take different paths and left some friends. Sometimes I remember my oldest friends of primary school and that is touching.

Submitted by estelapijoan on Thu, 23/04/2020 - 19:05

With this listening I have learned a little about London and work. I liked doing the activities, they are easy.

Submitted by ester gomis on Thu, 23/04/2020 - 09:49

They are two friends who meet after 15 years. I don't know if they know each other from school, or were neighbors. They are very happy to meet again. She worked in London but it was very expensive. Now she lives with her parents. He has married and has 2 children

Submitted by JuanManuelLopezGil on Tue, 21/04/2020 - 02:28

I am lucky! because I have friends since kindergarten and share time with they 2 or 3 times per year; also, many friends since high school (13 years since graduation) and university (8 years since graduation).

Submitted by Aina Menéndez on Wed, 15/04/2020 - 17:01

Tes, I do keep in touch with my old friends. I like to know how are they doing even if we can’t meet as frequent as we would like to. And nowadays with social networks is very easy to be in contact with friends and it’s easy to catch up with them.

Submitted by ANACF on Mon, 13/04/2020 - 16:34

I have never seen my classmates of school. I met one of my friends of University two years ago. I keep in touch with my friends of my first job ( it was 20 years ago) , in fact they are my best friends .

Submitted by Nurten on Sat, 28/03/2020 - 12:43

I lost touch with some friends but with some of them I still keep in touch

Submitted by jazmin marquez on Wed, 25/03/2020 - 17:11

Well, I keep in touch with few old friends. When we finished high school, we all took different paths, this was thirteen years ago. Recently, my friends originated a meeting, but I was traveling and I couldn't go.

Submitted by jason2295 on Wed, 25/03/2020 - 01:19

Really not, I have a long time that I don't have any contact with my Frinds of University, My old best Friend lives in Australia, two years ago he was in my city but I couldn't see him.

Submitted by vilma caram on Tue, 24/03/2020 - 21:24

for a couple of months I have met with a classmate of the university. last time we saw him at least, was twenty years ago! I think how time flies! He lives in another city and he's a bit overweight and doesn't appear his age.We talked a lot about diferent things and our families. It was nice to meet .

Submitted by Crunch01 on Thu, 12/03/2020 - 11:52

2 years ago, I was walking in the street in Spania and I saw an old friend whose I played rugby with him 15 years ago. I was very happy to meet him and discuss about his life. We have been ages and many white hairs. It was touching.

Submitted by shahhoseini on Thu, 05/03/2020 - 06:13

Do you keep in touch with old friends? About 35 years ago, when I was studying at university had a roommate that we were very friendly together. After graduation, he went to Canada and married a Chinese lady, and I had no news of him. Recently. I found him on LinkedIn, and we did chat together.

Submitted by pacha809 on Tue, 18/02/2020 - 13:53

Five years ago, I met an old friend from the Haute Ecole Normale de Nivelles. Jean-Marie was my best friend. He lived in Brittany where he spent his retirement. And I for eight years, I have lived in the south of France in "AUDE" where I also spend my retirement. A year later, during his vacation not far from my home, he came to see me with all his family. What a beautiful day we spent remembering the beautiful moments we spent together. Alas today, this old friend has passed away. I had a lot of pain. I often have a thought for him.

Submitted by mehrazin on Tue, 04/02/2020 - 09:37

I keep in touch with one of my old friends. we are the best friends and we travel with each other from time to time. it’s so interesting to remind the best period of our life sometimes, that could be a nostalgia. we were at high school together. We remember the other friends and reminds nice memories we feel sympathy as we talk about how our rights were lost at the time of university entrance exam because of the inaccurate arrangements that some people are given special privileges.

Submitted by Dieudonné on Sat, 28/12/2019 - 11:51

Since 2015 I have ever seen my best friend. He went to Bobo-Dioullaso when I was taking my high school diploma exam and I went to Algeria at fall 2015. It is really a long time. I miss him and I hope that we will enjoy our next meeting at summer 2020. So exciting to be with my bestie.

Submitted by isabelle claux on Mon, 11/11/2019 - 18:12

How can I download the audio?

Hi Isabelle,

I'm afraid the audio files are only accessible on our pages, and are not available for download.

It easy, to start the downloading put the cursor to the audio than right click after that shoose save as.

Submitted by MEITE_MOHAMED on Fri, 25/10/2019 - 19:01

I've just completed the lesson of a student discussion and I have one question: what means "The dream job wasn't really a dream" ? I thought it was a boring job but it is considered to be a perfect job?

Hello MEITE_MOHAMED

A 'dream job' is a job that we imagine to be perfect. Selina is saying that she got her dream job, but then discovered that it wasn't really a dream job. In other words, she didn't really like it, even though she thought that she would.

All the best

Submitted by Nurraihah on Thu, 03/10/2019 - 20:34

I have completed the lesson of Meeting an Old Friend. A short conversation makes it easier for me to find the correct answer.

Hello Nurraihah

I just wanted to explain why we have not published your other comments. Our comments section is for asking questions about or commenting on the content of the page. Sometimes we allow other comments, but if there are too many, this makes it more difficult for other users to use our site.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

All the best

Submitted by Fitri Adha on Mon, 23/09/2019 - 16:06

I have completed the following lessons of Arriving late to school and Meeting an old friends. The level that i choose was intermediate B1 Listening

Submitted by farah adila on Sat, 21/09/2019 - 06:59

I have completed the following lessons of a student discussion, A weather forecast and meeting an old friend. The level i chose was intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by nuryatie binti abdal on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 10:21

i have completed the following lessons of A phone call from a customer, Arriving late to class, and Meeting an old friend.The level that i chose was intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by Supina Anak Inggu on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 09:23

I have completed the following of A student Discussion, A weather Forecast and Making a Decision . The level that i chose was Intermediate B1 Listening

Submitted by Amilah Zulkifli on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 09:13

I have completed the following lessons of A phone call from a customer, Chatting about a series, and Meeting an old friend.The level that I chose was intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by FLORENCE SHERRIE on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 09:09

I have completed the following lesson of Meeting an old friend . The level that I chose was intermidiate B1 Listening.

Submitted by Kenite Ray on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 08:40

Submitted by syahirah suhaimi on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 08:26

I have completed the following lessons of A phone call from a customer, Arriving late to class, Meeting an old friend . The level that I chose is Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by Aiman Naim on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 07:41

I have completed the following lessons of Meeting an old friend. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by marcalyn on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 07:39

I have completed the following lesson of Meeting an Old Friend. The level that i chose was Intermediate B1 learning.

Submitted by Ikmal Haaziq on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 13:49

I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion, A weather Forecast, and Making a Decision. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by hazeeqishida on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 11:06