Ordering in a café

Listen to people ordering food and drinks in a café to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Customer 1: Can I have an orange juice, please?

Server: Regular or large?

Customer 1: How big is a large?

Server: This is a large. This is a regular.

Customer 1: I'll have a large, then, please. Without ice.

Server: OK, coming up.

Customer 1: Sorry, I wanted freshly squeezed orange juice.

Server: I'm afraid we only have bottled juices.

Customer 1: Oh, then I'll have an apple juice instead, please.

Server: Here you go. That's £3.50, please.

Customer: Thanks.

Server: Thank you.

Server: Can I help anyone?

Customer 2: Who's next?

Customer 3: You were first, I think.

Customer 2: What teas do you have?

Server: Breakfast tea, mint and green tea.

Customer 2: A mint tea and a slice of lemon cake, please.

Server: To eat in or take away?

Customer 2: Take away, please.

Server: There you go. That'll be £4.20, please.

Customer 2: Sorry, I've only got a fifty.

Server: That's OK. Here's your change … 5, 10, 30, 50.

Server: Who's next?

Customer 4: Can I have a ...

Customer 3: Sorry, I think I was in front of you.

Customer 4: Oh, sorry!

Customer 3: Can I have a chocolate chip cookie, please?

Server: Would you like a drink with that?

Customer 3: No, thanks. Just the cookie.

Server: OK, then. That's 95p, please.

Customer 3: Thanks. I think that's right.

Server: 50, 70, 80, 85, 90, 92, 94, yep, 95. Thank you.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Submitted by Farisasky on Tue, 04/02/2020 - 04:22

I buy cake or drinks in cafe when I get hang out with my friends

Submitted by Sanja on Sun, 02/02/2020 - 14:21

Sometimes, especially when I am with my kids. They like to eat cakes, French fries or hot chocolate and love spending time in cafès. I usually order a cup of coffee then.

Submitted by Dinka on Thu, 30/01/2020 - 07:07

I buy some hot drinks and snaks when i go to the cafe with my friends.I prefer tea or orange juice.I am sweet tooth so i buy cookies,cupcakes,slice of cakes. despite the prices.

Submitted by ega nfa on Sun, 19/01/2020 - 13:53

When i go to caffe i always buy coffe. Coffe is my favorite drink. To snack just sometimes

Submitted by MaryaSun on Thu, 16/01/2020 - 17:06

Hi, i usually don't buy drink or snack in a cafè. I buy it rarely or when i am in a trip with friends or my family. In those day we have breakfast in a cafè every day.

Submitted by ofti on Tue, 14/01/2020 - 21:37

When i go to the café,i usually buy some hot drinks like tea or chocolate coffee.

Submitted by shahhoseini on Sat, 28/12/2019 - 13:34

I rarely buy drinks from cafes. We usually go to a restaurant with my family once a month.

Submitted by Mdolores on Sat, 14/12/2019 - 23:56

when we go to walk we take something in the cafe and other times we buy food to take home, to the beach. too for to breakfast near of the work

Submitted by Laura390 on Mon, 09/12/2019 - 18:51

I go to the coffe once a week

Submitted by Dariusz on Sun, 24/11/2019 - 22:18

I sometimes buy a coffee and sweets but I never buy salty snacks, actually I rarely buy in cafes because there is expensivly.

Submitted by le van son on Wed, 06/11/2019 - 04:12

I often order coffee but never order snack because snack's not good for healthy.

Submitted by Nasser_mo on Tue, 05/11/2019 - 14:13

I often buy chocolate cake from the café with cappuccino or lattes .

Submitted by nurnadiahazlan on Thu, 03/10/2019 - 10:50

I have completed the following lessons of "Ordering in a Cafe". The level that I choose was beginner A1.

Submitted by nurul ashikin on Thu, 03/10/2019 - 07:52

I have completed the lesson for "Ordering in a Cafe". The level I chose is Beginner A1.

Submitted by Abdelmouttalib on Tue, 01/10/2019 - 09:23

Every morning i take my espresso in coffee and sometimes when i'm busy or at the weekend i take my lunch away

Submitted by DAHLIA DIMAN on Sun, 22/09/2019 - 05:40

I have complete the ordering in a cafe,booking a table and shopping for clothes.The level that i choose was Beginner A1 Listening.

Submitted by nurbiena on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 16:56

I have completed the following lessons of Ordering in a cafe. The level that I chose was Beginner A1 Listening.

Submitted by Dayang Norsyaf… on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 09:23

I have completed the following lessons of Ordering in a cafe and Meeting a new team and its fun!

Submitted by Khairunnisa Bi… on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 09:23

I have completed the following lessons of Ordering in a cafe , shopping the cloth and meeting a new team. The level that I chose was Beginner A1 Listening.

Submitted by Hannan Aqil on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 08:35

i have completed the following lessons of A request for your boss. The level that I choose was beginerr

Submitted by shafiqkassim on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 08:05

I have completed the following lessons of a ordering in a cafe.the level that i chose is beginner A1

Submitted by Qhairun Nazmeen on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 08:04

I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion, A weather Forecast, and Making a Decision. The level that I chose was Beginner A1 Listening.

Submitted by Syazwanny17 on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 08:02

Submitted by raza.umar on Mon, 16/09/2019 - 18:41

Actually, most of times I prepare everything at home to drink or eat. However, just during university time or with friends I like to buy these from different cafe. conversely speaking, I have not a good experience to buy these things out sides.
Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Submitted by Magedelabd on Wed, 21/08/2019 - 18:03

I always buy food and drinks from restaurants . but I never buy drinks or snacks from the cafes because they are expensive .
Profile picture for user shahramuteng

Submitted by shahramuteng on Fri, 16/08/2019 - 15:32

I can't remember last time I went to a cafe, because it relates to over nine years ago.

Submitted by Toanrt on Mon, 05/08/2019 - 08:44

Sometimes cause drinks in café are much more expensive
Profile picture for user Caterina Siligardi

Submitted by Caterina Siligardi on Sat, 03/08/2019 - 16:17

Can I say, 'Eaten here or take-away?' Thanks.

Hello Caterina Siligardi

'take away' or 'take out' are both commonly used. I'd recommend 'eat in' instead of 'eaten here'.

All the best

Submitted by ayusisi on Wed, 24/07/2019 - 07:54

In my free time or weekend, I'd like to go to the mall or cafe with my friend. In a coffee shop or cafe, I usually order tea or matcha as a drink. But I seldom to order cake or brownies.

Submitted by CarlosMau on Thu, 18/07/2019 - 21:44

Hello everyone, i’m a barista and their costumer are very educated

Submitted by Praveen kumar on Thu, 04/07/2019 - 15:31

I drink tea with cookies or biscuits because they can chill the mind and a refreshment in evening time.

Submitted by Diana0419 on Sun, 30/06/2019 - 08:08

Yes. But as a matter of fact, I am on a diet, so I bought drinks or snacks once a month. My favourite snacks and drinks in my schools' cafeteria are strawberry pie and raspberry soda or latte. That's because they are fit to my flavour which I love.

Submitted by chris-kutte on Thu, 27/06/2019 - 10:20

I just buy food or drinks from cafés on weekends and in my vacations.

Submitted by abdalhameed on Fri, 14/06/2019 - 14:12

I don't buy a drink or snacks from coffee.
Profile picture for user Arwa_amq

Submitted by Arwa_amq on Fri, 14/06/2019 - 13:12

Can i say No, thanks, only the cookie Instead “just the cookie” ?
Profile picture for user Kirk

Submitted by Kirk on Sat, 15/06/2019 - 10:41

In reply to by Arwa_amq

Hello Arwa_amq

I'd say 'just' it more common, but you could use 'only' instead of 'just' here.

All the best

Submitted by muditha906 on Thu, 06/06/2019 - 06:36

Hi friends, My hobby is learning English. I would like to improve my English Knowledge. Whatever i found this useful website when i surf in internet. So i think i will gain maximum benefits from this website as much as i can. Cheers.

Submitted by Htet Htet Win on Fri, 24/05/2019 - 06:42

I sometimes go to the cafe with my family where is my favourite place. We like fruit juices and snacks from this cafe. I bought some juices and snacks from this two weeks ago.

Submitted by Wahiba on Sat, 18/05/2019 - 09:11

I some time order freshly squeezed orange or limon jus or coffee and If I haven’t enough time to eat I prefer having fish sneak.

Submitted by alexnguyen88 on Sun, 12/05/2019 - 16:39

Hello everybody. I'm studying English in Philippines. My English is very basic, so I really hope of finding someone in Baguio, Philippines, who can help me about speaking.

Submitted by Liv hoang on Sat, 11/05/2019 - 10:14

I sometimes buy drinks but I rarely buy snacks from cafe. I like juice more than coffee. Coffee make me not to sleep and juice is good for health. I usually drink fresh seasonable juices.

Submitted by Setareh on Sun, 05/05/2019 - 04:07

I buy drinks and snacks from cafes once a month...

Submitted by César Árraga on Tue, 23/04/2019 - 02:01

Nearly always I buy drinks as mineral water because in my country, even in the autumn season, it's still very hot so it makes me very thirsty. But, I occasionally buy snacks from cafés.
Profile picture for user Liz

Submitted by Liz on Wed, 10/04/2019 - 19:41

I love going out to a cafés with my friends. I have some favourites cafés and I love them because they have a wonderfull atmosphere. The thing that I appreciate in a café is the music and the service.

Submitted by cittàutopica on Tue, 09/04/2019 - 18:36

I often hang out at the little bar which is near my home, because the barman makes a very good coffee and an excellent cappuccino.
Profile picture for user Stanley Alvarez

Submitted by Stanley Alvarez on Mon, 08/04/2019 - 15:57

I don't buy drinks or snacks from cafés often, because I usually visit my friends at university. Sometimes, I go for bread from bakery but I don't buy any drinks.
Profile picture for user clau1960

Submitted by clau1960 on Tue, 02/04/2019 - 12:26

I´d like more listenings for beginner level pople who are going to travel abroad and need to speak and listen English in real situations. I´m teaching adults.
Hello clau1960 Thanks for the suggestion! These 12 pages are less than one month old and we are working to create downloadable worksheets for them at the moment. I'd also recommend our Starting Out series (https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/starting-out), which is at the A1 and A2 level, as well as the Speaking videos (https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/speaking) at the A1 level. We will be producing more Speaking videos, but I'm afraid they will not be ready for some time. All the best Kirk The LearnEnglish Team