A phone call from a customer

Listen to the phone call from a customer to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Junko: Hello, Junko Mori speaking. How can I help you?

Andrea: Hi, Junko, it's Andrea here from Red Band. I'm calling about our latest order.

Junko: Everything arrived OK, right? We got the delivery confirmation at our end.

Andrea: Yes, everything's fine with the order. I'm calling about the invoice and the payment terms. I need a favour.

Junko: A favour? What do you need?

Andrea: This is a little, er ... difficult, but I need an extension on the payment terms. I know they're usually 30 days, but we're having some cash flow problems. You'd really be helping us out if you could extend it to 60 days.

Junko: I'm not sure if I can do that, Andrea. We've got regulations at our end, and also have to manage our own cash flow.

Andrea: I promise this won't become the norm, Junko. Actually, I also want to place another new order. The same size order as last time. It's for an important customer and they pay on delivery.

Junko: I see. So your cash flow problem will be solved after this new order is delivered.

Andrea: Exactly.

Junko: That sounds good. Hold on, Andrea. Let me see what I can do. Yes, I think we can make an exception this time.

Andrea: That's great, Junko. I appreciate your help.

Junko: And we appreciate your business, Andrea. It works both ways.

Andrea: Thanks again, Junko. Can you send me a quick email confirmation of the payment terms extension?

Junko: Sure, no problem. We're happy to help you.

Andrea: Great. And I'll email you the new order.

Junko: Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it. Talk to you soon.

Andrea: You too. Goodbye.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

B1 English level (intermediate)
Profile picture for user walidel7

Submitted by walidel7 on Sun, 12/01/2020 - 17:13

I am very happy when I can listen to the recording and answer 100% correctly , my progress in English incredible. In 2019 i was set plan to passing IELTS exam but unfortunately I didn't achieve my goal because I am prepare my dissertation in pediatric nursing and my title is "Medication errors in pediatric hospital, main causes and leading factor and attitude and report from nurses opinion. I hope to every one here to achieve his dreams in 2020 . Much appreciated to British council for helping us. kind regards

Submitted by RuthY on Mon, 06/01/2020 - 18:10

Yes, I do when necessary.

Submitted by itsyahya_wc on Wed, 01/01/2020 - 17:21

In my idea, all of us should support together in each field.

Submitted by Fikymaulana on Sat, 28/12/2019 - 08:28

When I was a Credit Marketing Officer in finance company. Sometimes I need to assist my costumer, particulary the customer which I have known for a long time and they are had good payment. I had paid my costomer instalment with my cash. Definitly, My costumer paid back my money after several time.
Profile picture for user Dieudonné

Submitted by Dieudonné on Sun, 15/12/2019 - 17:51

I remember when I was a seller, I made sometimes some favors to my customers whether giving them an extension or reducing the bill; it is with this mind you can keep your best customers and even more develop your business. I think that the favors sometimes strengthen our community life and make us to be closer.

Submitted by Oanhtran on Wed, 11/12/2019 - 01:18

I think that we could accept the special case to solve problem for customers. But important thing is we ensure to control the risk. with that way , we could build strong cooperation with customer.

Submitted by Naveen Joshi on Thu, 28/11/2019 - 14:33

yes, I would make an exception to an important client because it's good for business to have loyal clients and it will also build a good trust & communication between the client and company.

Submitted by Maksmatt on Mon, 25/11/2019 - 10:48

Yes, I often make exceptions for clients, but it depends on if I know the person well. If I don't know the person good enough I'll follow the regulations.

Submitted by Albert4321 on Sun, 24/11/2019 - 13:54

As far as im concerned i have already been learning English for 2 years.I know grammar part on high level but,ufortunately,i didnt pay attention to learning new words.I regret it

Submitted by Chewlim on Tue, 12/11/2019 - 22:09

In my view, for any business, there are always exceptions occasionally, it is usually for customers' loyalty, on the other hands, it is also an important business strategy. But the key is how to manage and access the risk.

Submitted by Oyundari on Sun, 03/11/2019 - 13:01

I have listened this audio 3 times. First time, I have listened without transcript and did tasks1, 2. But my result was so bad. Second I have listened with transcript. This time my result was fine. I thought I need more practice to listen.

Submitted by César Árraga on Sun, 06/10/2019 - 00:12

Yes. A few years ago, my aunt had a small shop, some clients used to order products to buy on credit, however, we had some trustworthy customers and sold them products that paying the next week.
Profile picture for user TP

Submitted by TP on Fri, 20/09/2019 - 08:32

Yes, I sometimes do favours or make exceptions for the important clients. It usually depends on what kind of a favour is expected and how trustworthy the client is. However, I don't allow the change to become the norm.

Submitted by Karimkm on Fri, 20/09/2019 - 01:33

I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion, A weather forecast, and Making a decision. The level that is choose was Intermediate B1 Listening

Submitted by nuryatie binti abdal on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 10:22

i have completed the following lessons of A phone call from a customer, Arriving late to class, and Meeting an old friend.The level that i chose was intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by esthertimbong on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 10:13

Submitted by Amilah Zulkifli on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 09:15

I have completed the following lessons of A phone call from a customer, Chatting about a series, and Meeting an old friend.The level that I chose was intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by Supina Anak Inggu on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 09:03

I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion, A weather Forecast and Making a Decision. The level that I chose was Imtermediate B1 Listening

Submitted by FLORENCE SHERRIE on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 08:55

I have completed the following lessons of A phone call from a customer. the level that I choose is B1 Listening.

Submitted by syahirah suhaimi on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 08:25

I have completed the following lessons of A phone call from a customer, Arriving late to class, Meeting an old friend . The level that I chose is Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by syahirah suhaimi on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 08:19

I have completed the following lessons of A phone call from a customer. The level that I chose is Intermediate B1 listening.

Submitted by senoritaj on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 08:12

I have completed the following lessons of An interview about listening skills, Making a Decision, and A phone call from a customer. The level that i chose was Intermediate B1 Listening

Submitted by Muhamad Aqmal … on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 08:02

I have completed the following lessons of A Phone Call of a customer.The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 listening

Submitted by thuraiya on Wed, 18/09/2019 - 20:31

yes i did ,one time there was women needs help with her case and asked me to help her and give her legal advice for free and i accept it.

Submitted by Haiza Supian on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 09:13

I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion, Phone Call From Customer, and Making a Decision. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by KhaleefRosely on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 09:12

" I have completed the following lessons of A phone call from customer . The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by aina fatin amierah on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:39

I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion, A weather Forecast, and Making a Decision. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening."

Submitted by fatin sahira on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:36

I have completed the following lessons of Meeting an old friend, A phone call from a customer, and Arriving late to class. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by Siti Aida on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:32

I have completed the following lessons of A phone call from a customer, Arriving late to class, Meeting an old friend. The level that I choose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by ani atiqah on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:06

I have completed the following lessons of A phone call from a customer, meeting an old friend and a student discussion. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by Haiza Supian on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:02

Submitted by hafizatul on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 07:52

I have completed the following lessons of A student Disscussion,A weather Forecast,and Making a Decision. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.
Profile picture for user Steve Zarv

Submitted by Steve Zarv on Wed, 04/09/2019 - 16:58

I'm usually the customer, but as a good customer, I aim to address the concept of reciprocity in each of my requests, so that the supplier assums that I'm trying to do a balance in which she/he and I are asking for, and ends up thinking more in the benefits than the downside.

Submitted by Nyein Chan Aung on Mon, 02/09/2019 - 20:31

That's a good relation between supplier and customers.

Submitted by Shasha84 on Sat, 31/08/2019 - 13:33

In my opinion a Rule is a Rule and a supplier should not make exceptions for customers even important customers
Profile picture for user kamicounciler

Submitted by kamicounciler on Fri, 30/08/2019 - 17:51

well,yes i usually do it.most of the times i try to understand my clients situations and possible problems,and make some exceptions for them.for example if they have difficulties to pay i can consider an extension on payment terms for them.in fact sometimes i think i am doing it more than i should. ;)

Submitted by aliyazdan on Thu, 29/08/2019 - 09:48

Responding to requests for favors from others is a pleasure. I ‘d like to help others if the rules allow me and it doesn't trouble me. Have you ever had trouble helping others?
Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Submitted by Magedelabd on Wed, 28/08/2019 - 18:21

Yes of course , sometimes I give exceptions for my clients . sometimes I do some repairs for their cars for free . It is allowed to do so in my company as a customer satisfaction .

Submitted by najaht2008 on Wed, 28/08/2019 - 08:54

Yes, I have made exceptions for some important customers several times because the profit made from their business is a big partial of our annue earnings. Meanwhile, certain conditions are made clearly to give these exceptions like exact date being made for the customer to make payment, or our cashflow will have trouble.

Submitted by Febi Febrina on Wed, 28/08/2019 - 00:59

How to download the audio?

Hello Febi Febrina,

I'm afraid the audio isn't available to download from our pages. You can, of course, listen as often as you like on the page.

Submitted by Afki on Fri, 16/08/2019 - 14:16

Ofcourse i did; the clients and the poor people that have’nt enough money in there lives. Becouse Allah regard us.

Submitted by Ha Hung on Thu, 08/08/2019 - 04:36

Yes, sometimes, I asked my team for early delivery materials for production

Submitted by Chrystèle on Thu, 08/08/2019 - 02:03

I do not have any clients. But if i could help i'll do it with minimum of precautious.

Submitted by starfish2019 on Wed, 07/08/2019 - 18:18

Do you ever do favours or make exceptions for important clients? Yes, sometimes I did favors for my Important clients, but that depends on the case and calculate how much it would bring for the company benefits and our target goals.
Profile picture for user Anaitat

Submitted by Anaitat on Thu, 01/08/2019 - 12:09

Do favours and make exceptions for important clients in a normal and standard practice between parts of a contract, I think. Together everyone accomplishes more! The contractual parts should interact by solving problems.
Profile picture for user Anaitat

Submitted by Anaitat on Thu, 01/08/2019 - 12:01

To my mind is a model and coherence phone dialogue between a customer and a supplier. Both - the customer and the supplier - are focused on the objective problem and solve them in just a few minutes. Really, brevity is the sister of talent. And both are effective at their workplaces.

Submitted by dan on Sun, 21/07/2019 - 04:37

Hello, My motto in life is to do good every day. It is not easy. In some days i tried hard to respect my engagement. I remember that in the past i helped financially a very good friend. It was a big value for me. Our friendship was in danger to loose because he did't respect the commitment. He returned the loan with 18 month delay. At that moment i had some problems paying for my daughter's study. i finally got the money and everything is OK!

Submitted by Sumayah_137 on Sun, 21/07/2019 - 00:40

How can I download the podcast?