Meeting a new team member

Listen to a conversation between two new colleagues to practise your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Peter: Hi, my name's Peter. What's your name?

Carla: Hi, Peter. I'm Carla. I'm new here.

Peter: Welcome to the company, Carla.

Carla: Thanks, Peter. I'm happy to be here and it's nice to meet you.

Peter: It's nice to meet you too.

Carla: Where do you work?

Peter: I work in the design team. We sit over there.

Carla: I'm in the marketing team. I started last week.

Peter: You work in marketing? That's very interesting.

Carla: Yes, it is. I'm enjoying it. But there are a lot of new things to learn.

Peter: I'm sure there are. I'm happy to help you if I can.

Carla: Thank you, Peter. What do you do in the design department?

Peter: I design new products.

Carla: That sounds interesting. I plan marketing events for new products. So I think we'll work together sometimes.

Peter: That would be great. So, where are you from, Carla?

Carla: Brazil. And you?

Peter: I'm from the UK.

Carla: How long have you been here?

Peter: I've worked here for three years but I actually moved here from the UK five years ago, to study.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Submitted by Silambarasan on Fri, 03/04/2020 - 10:47

often, I talk about my name, my nationality and my job , and some in information about working

Submitted by suganth on Thu, 02/04/2020 - 08:55

first I will ask his/her name , then where is he/she from, then i will ask question that depend on where we are ,like if we are in college I will ask him/her about their department and so on....

Submitted by Yuzana on Tue, 31/03/2020 - 06:36

When I meet people for the first time, I introduce myself and ask them about who they are, where they came from and their interests to build a good relationship.

Submitted by Abdulilah on Sun, 29/03/2020 - 21:19

Submitted by Andrew Brown on Sun, 29/03/2020 - 18:08

For me when I meet new people, depending of their status and age, I introduce myself first, also if this person is my age then things become for warm and much friendlier, so I start by introducing myself then based on the reply we start to talk on those lines.
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Sat, 28/03/2020 - 01:27

Usually, when I meet people for the first time what I talk about is getting to know him or her by name and exchanging pleasantries greetings as well as other details that relates to where we meet.
Profile picture for user Sergei Baskakov

Submitted by Sergei Baskakov on Fri, 27/03/2020 - 16:41

I don't stick to one conversation scenario. I talk about different things. I don't want to be like a robot in a conversation.

Submitted by Nane on Wed, 25/03/2020 - 20:26

Hi! When i meet people for the first time, i ussualy talk about studies, professions, cultures, families, etc. If people are from other countries It´s important to know about cultures and hobbies. I ussualy talk about the company where they work and about their carrears. Regards,

Submitted by HMida on Sat, 21/03/2020 - 12:23

When i meet people for the fisrt time, i talk about his job and where he is from. after a period, may i to ask about his family. If this person is interesting, i plan news meeting with him.

Submitted by Stela Stoycheva on Wed, 18/03/2020 - 13:27

When I meet new people, depends of situation if it`s people in new workplace, manager- I introduce myself. When people are other kind- no manager, no boss or collegues. We can speak different things and see what do you think about things connected with our live. Maybe now, we can speak about COVID-19...

Submitted by upendarreddy on Mon, 16/03/2020 - 23:12

when i meet new people firstly , i introduce myself then i ask his/her name, job, location where they stay.If the conversation goes well between us then i may ask their phone number or social media such as Twitter, Instagram, Facebook for future contact.

Submitted by Ali samer on Fri, 06/03/2020 - 10:41

before a few weeks i met my colleague we have talked about the last dayes when we ate togather and playing and everything beautiful we did it

Submitted by jason2295 on Tue, 03/03/2020 - 23:04

When I meet someone for the first time I usually ask about its life and family. I also like to talk about the hobbies and favorite things to do in the free time.

Submitted by Talha Munir on Tue, 25/02/2020 - 18:36

When I meet people to first time I usually talk about games, because I am player so I am interesting in games so that's why I company to those people who is interesting in games..

Submitted by Eswar on Sat, 22/02/2020 - 06:26

i usually talk about his/her name ,profession, Location,Nationality etc.

Submitted by IMEN ABBES on Thu, 20/02/2020 - 16:25

Usually, when I meet people for the first time, I ask them for their names, where they come from and what are they working.

Submitted by Khin Nyein Chan on Thu, 20/02/2020 - 14:21

When I meet someone,I start say that "Hello,Nice to meet you,My name is..........,"

Submitted by Yenn nguyen on Wed, 19/02/2020 - 13:29

I will asking about name, old, schools, where do you live , jobs, hobies ,ect... And nice too meet you

Submitted by s4lemm on Tue, 18/02/2020 - 15:59

First I like to know name, where is the person from, talk about job, recreation and other stuff.

Submitted by siciidgaagaale on Wed, 12/02/2020 - 18:03

Hi my group mate my name said i am going to share you something that i like to talk about new people. as you all know it is not good to ask people personal question or affaris ,so i always set off conversation rage from name to work. fistly i ask them their names in polite way then ,i give them more information about my self and the others be confindent to talk theirs.

Submitted by Vidyasagar on Tue, 11/02/2020 - 09:04

I ask his/her name. I usually talk about his/her whereabouts, nature of work, interests, likes and dislikes.

Submitted by serena lee on Tue, 21/01/2020 - 09:07

What do you usually talk about when you meet people for the first time? I usually talk about something like my favourite dishes, news, lastest movie. Honestly, It is difficult to talk with strangers because I don't know what subject they would like to discuss. I am going to be comfortable to talk just in case that is my friends.

Submitted by MaryaSun on Thu, 16/01/2020 - 15:56

Hello, when i meet someone for the first time i usually ask him/her to present himself/herself. I want to know, for example, his/her name, his age, where he/she lives, something about his/her study and why he/she is here. But i also like to ask him/her something about his/her strenghts and weaknesses and something about his hobbies and his/her free times.

Submitted by shahhoseini on Sat, 21/12/2019 - 14:23

When I meet someone for the first time, I asked him or her about general information such as: name, nationality, workplace and etc.

Submitted by elit.sw on Wed, 27/11/2019 - 18:11

I usually ask their name and job, I ask where they are from if they are not local Swedish or local, and I sometimes ask where they live but not always people here are too shy and it is not too easy to make contact.

Submitted by Dariusz on Sun, 24/11/2019 - 00:19

When I meet someone for the first time I usualy ask about basics informations like: name, where he or she lives, work, hobbys. Only convenient questions not awkward.

Submitted by Laura390 on Sat, 09/11/2019 - 15:45

When I meet people for the first time, I usually ask about of your profession, where this person born and live, what do you like to do and I offer my help.

Submitted by Nasser_mo on Mon, 04/11/2019 - 13:39

when I meet people for the first time, I'Il start getting to know them, then offer them my help, and finally say goodbye.

Submitted by Pawani on Wed, 30/10/2019 - 12:31

When I meet person for the first time I usually talk about the name, work place, family and nation. Asking privet information should be limited.
Profile picture for user johnny depp

Submitted by johnny depp on Sun, 27/10/2019 - 11:18

Thanks wow piece of listening

Submitted by annjha_ on Sat, 05/10/2019 - 15:38

I have completed the lesson for meeting a new team member. The level I chose is beginner A1

Hello annjha_,

I just wanted to explain why we have not published your other comments. Our comments section is for asking questions about or commenting on the content of the page. Sometimes we allow other comments, but if there are too many, this makes it more difficult for other users to use our site.

Submitted by Izzati Saufie on Thu, 03/10/2019 - 15:13

Submitted by nurul ashikin on Thu, 03/10/2019 - 07:35

I have completed the lesson for "Meeting a New Team Member". The level I chose is Beginner A1

Submitted by Triony on Sat, 28/09/2019 - 06:31

teacher Yenfief I finished this unit

Submitted by MUHAMMAD RIZMA… on Thu, 26/09/2019 - 01:43

I'm finish

Submitted by Nurshaera73 on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 09:53

I have completed my lesson, topic Meeting a new team member. Now, I learnt something new that I can use in future life.

Submitted by Khairunnisa Bi… on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 09:28

I have completed the following lessons of Ordering in a cafe , shopping for cloth and meeting a new team member. The level that I chose was Beginner A1 Listening.

Submitted by Dayang Norsyaf… on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 09:16

I have completed the following lessons and its fun!

Submitted by raza.umar on Mon, 16/09/2019 - 17:56

well, I mostly make a discussion about the personal information and the work or study type questions. It provides me the enough information to know that person.

Submitted by bawk san aung on Thu, 29/08/2019 - 03:05

I shake a hand first. And exchange our family names and clan names. After that we would be family in our culture. Where he is from is as important as what his name is.We can scrutinize if he is our nationality.
Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Submitted by Magedelabd on Mon, 19/08/2019 - 18:52

When i meet with somebody for the first time we exchange the names , nationality , workplace and so on .
Profile picture for user Caterina Siligardi

Submitted by Caterina Siligardi on Sat, 17/08/2019 - 18:03

It depends. I ask for the place where the person lives, his work, and the usual stuffs. But, at first time I don't ask for too things, because I don't like looking like a nosy woman.

Submitted by Longan1991 on Sat, 17/08/2019 - 10:12

When I meet people for first time, I usually talk about age, place that they live, current job,...ayer that we tell our job, hometown or we will discuss problems of life around. As I know, there are some countries in the world whee many people don't like anyone asks in detail their private lives or age, they consider as impolite behaviours and don't respect other people. In my country, when we meet acquaintances, we can am many things, including private things. With the others, we talk about general problems, breaking news,...asking private information should limit
Profile picture for user shinhaphura

Submitted by shinhaphura on Fri, 16/08/2019 - 03:36

We usually ask about something likes: name, nation, job,...
Profile picture for user shahramuteng

Submitted by shahramuteng on Thu, 15/08/2019 - 21:51

It depends on what situation and location I meet people. I usually have a different conversation in each location. for example, in university, we talk about Major, research interest, GPA, etc which are related to the university. but in the workplace, we usually talk about our experience, working skill, etc.

Submitted by jdevera21 on Tue, 30/07/2019 - 13:42

What do you usually talk about when you meet people for the first time? My parents grew me up with good moral values and teach me to be always kind and generous when you meet new people. I am a very accommodating person I care to listen carefully and understand clearly what people concerns, points of views and respect their opinions. Well at first time we meet with the people we usually talk about their past and present experience, where they came from, what their like's and dislikes, discuss family history and backgrounds, health conditions, upcoming plans, positive or negative things in life, memorable and unforgettable moment, and other related topics based on current scenarios.