An email from a friend

Read an email about plans for the weekend to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text

Hi Samia,

Just a quick email to say that sounds like a great idea. Saturday is better for me because I'm meeting my parents on Sunday. So if that's still good for you, why don't you come here? Then you can see the new flat and all the work we've done on the kitchen since we moved in. We can eat at home and then go for a walk in the afternoon. It's going to be so good to catch up finally. I want to hear all about your new job!

Our address is 52 Charles Road, but it's a bit difficult to find because the house numbers are really strange here. If you turn left at the post office and keep going past the big white house on Charles Road, there's a small side street behind it with the houses 50–56 in. Don't ask me why the side street doesn't have a different name! But call me if you get lost and I'll come and get you.

Let me know if there's anything you do/don't like to eat. Really looking forward to seeing you!

See you soon!

Gregor

Submitted by ANOUAR on Mon, 22/11/2021 - 09:32

I have never made planes with my friends by Email, Sometimes by Whatsapp but it sounds like a great idea to try making a plane by Email and write the famous word that I've learned today "CATCH UP".

Submitted by dandelion on Sat, 13/11/2021 - 23:43

I usually use my email to invite my friends or talk with my family. Normally I use WhatsApp to talk with my friends and family. My e-mail is more for work or formal conversation.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Sat, 16/10/2021 - 12:55

I don't ever make plans via email address. Email is good only formal talk and in working people

Submitted by LamVanPhuong on Thu, 14/10/2021 - 12:33

i and my friends have never made plans on email because we have message on the phone

Submitted by marisolar on Tue, 08/06/2021 - 11:37

Yes, I think that anyone use the email to make plans with friends. I make plans with friends by calls or message text on WhatsApp. If I need to find friend's address we use the GPS, it's really useful.

Submitted by Veronikka on Tue, 18/05/2021 - 18:28

I usually use WhatsApp for planning meetings with my friends.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Fri, 07/05/2021 - 11:33

I make phone calls if I want to meeting with friends. Usually email is for just for apply job. And email for professional work.

Submitted by Andrea Valencia on Sat, 10/04/2021 - 17:44

I make plans with friends by cell phone or text, but I don't use email for plans with friends.

Submitted by Venequin on Mon, 05/04/2021 - 19:43

No, we really make our plans by telegram. But as you well know since pandemic everything has been complicated we prefer to do it by video call.

Submitted by rjesuspolo on Mon, 29/03/2021 - 16:08

Generally, I made plans with my friends through of Whatsapp, facebook or when we meet. Only, I've made plans to email when it's for work.

Submitted by MikhailZatopliaev on Mon, 29/03/2021 - 00:05

I make plans with my friends by WeChat, do you know that? It is easy.

Submitted by Rano on Mon, 15/03/2021 - 11:49

I am send email just for apply job. Iam text or call my friend.

Submitted by Mariana Gaytán on Mon, 15/03/2021 - 03:28

The best way is through whatsapp

Submitted by TIa vinaka on Mon, 15/03/2021 - 02:07

To make plans with my friends by Line is the way I use most. app is much easier and doesn't cost much.

Submitted by Daniela Palomi… on Thu, 11/03/2021 - 00:52

To make plans with my friends, I use WhatsApp to coordinate with them what we are going to do.

Submitted by Hoang Hai on Wed, 24/02/2021 - 04:31

I often make plan with friends by phone call or social network applications. I only use email for work.
Henceforth, I would suggest using email instead of phone or social network applications.

Submitted by In on Tue, 09/02/2021 - 10:46

I use to make plans with my friends by what's up or phone calls.

Submitted by Adrielle on Sun, 07/02/2021 - 23:52

I don't use email, we schedule things in the days or in the free time by another application.

Submitted by abirgo on Wed, 13/01/2021 - 20:30

I usually use the phone to communicate with my friend and to arrange the time and the place for our meeting but sometimes i use the social media

Submitted by JoséBarrón1012 on Wed, 13/01/2021 - 00:14

no, I mostly do them by whatsapp

Submitted by Vanessa Villeg… on Sat, 09/01/2021 - 02:10

I make plans with my friends by social network or instant messaging app like Messenger, Whatsapp, Telegram. We decide the place we are going to meet, the time, etc.

Submitted by Khin Yee Mon Khaing on Tue, 22/12/2020 - 02:58

I always call phone my friends when I make a plan but sometimes use messenger and go their home.

Submitted by SStanley on Wed, 09/12/2020 - 12:06

Why were you used " we've done ON the kitchen"instead of "IN"? Thank you!

Hi SStanley,

The full phrase is:

• Then you can see the new flat and all the work we've done on the kitchen since we moved in.

The preposition on is connected to all the work we've done. The base phrase is do work on something.

Your suggestion is good too! You could put in instead of on. Structurally, this is a bit different, because in is connected to the kitchen (not all the work we've done). But the meaning is pretty much the same.

Does that make sense?

Jonathan

Submitted by Esther_arvar on Mon, 07/12/2020 - 14:24

I make plans with my friends by WhatsApp or maybe by Email, because is more easy to contact with they.

Submitted by André Salgado on Tue, 01/12/2020 - 18:16

I never make plans with me friends by email. I usually call my friends to make plans.

Submitted by Mohamed Algerian on Sun, 29/11/2020 - 09:58

I usually use phone calls to make plane with my friends, because I suppose emails are more professional.

Submitted by cutiepie on Sun, 22/11/2020 - 22:37

I usually make plan with my friend by social app like WhatsApp. We arrange what to do and the place to meet, and also the time

Submitted by Thinthinmyoe on Sun, 22/11/2020 - 09:38

At this time, most people use messenger,sms and text to communicate with their friends instead of email. I also use only messenger and phone calls.

Submitted by Ehsan on Tue, 17/11/2020 - 06:32

I don't make plans with my friends by email. I usually call them or text them.

Submitted by Ana Luisa Sanc… on Thu, 05/11/2020 - 00:21

I like call by phone to my friends before any plans to do, we arrange the schedule and place meet , and we confirm by message at phone some details like adress, or to give some instructions.

Submitted by Pola on Sat, 31/10/2020 - 15:20

I'm always use a massager, what's up or calling direct to make a plan , I don't use the email with my friends.

Submitted by Asni on Wed, 28/10/2020 - 22:10

No, I usually don't use email for that purpose...However, it happened that my phone got broken down so I just used my email instead.

Submitted by alexiaimogen on Fri, 23/10/2020 - 06:10

I used SNS mostly.

Submitted by Moon Wathan on Mon, 12/10/2020 - 15:32

I usually make the plans with friends by calling her. I don't use email everywhere.

Submitted by Lilly098 on Thu, 08/10/2020 - 04:47

Hi there. Can anyone help me??? I want to know why Task (1) - 2. "Gregor is going to make lunch." is truth. In Gregors email, he mentioned that they can have lunch at home and asked his friend if there's anything he can't eat. However, he did not clearly state that he is going to cook. Im so confused. He may order some food from delivery service....... It would be highly appreciate if someone help me understand. Thank you so much! (TT)

Hello Lilly098,

Gregor does not say directly that he is going to cook, so there is some interpretation here, I agree. However, I think if a person says 'we can eat at home' then it generally means that they are planning to cook or make something. If they intended to get something delivered, then they would probably ask what kind of food the person liked (Italian, Chinese etc) rather than asking if there was something they could not eat.

Submitted by shawn peter ru… on Sun, 04/10/2020 - 06:24

i haven't used email ever for making plan with others.but i think email is very good to having contact with your university and i always use this way to communicate with university

Submitted by shelly on Tue, 22/09/2020 - 04:43

I perfer to use social Apps like whatsup, wechat to make plans with my friends. But if the plans related to my job with my clients or colleagues, I would like to email them as it is more formal.

Submitted by anwarrasool on Fri, 18/09/2020 - 09:28

Dear sir I have a few doubts and would like you to explain to me if possible. In preparation section, how the question ”That SOUNDS LIKE a good idea.” can replace with ”is” In task 1 why they question number three answer is True. Sincerely

Submitted by Kirk on Fri, 18/09/2020 - 13:56

In reply to by anwarrasool

Hello anwarrasool,

'That sounds like a good idea' is another way of saying 'I think that is a good idea'. In other words, 'sounds like' doesn't refer to sounds -- it refers to how we feel about an idea. You can see more examples in this 'sound2' dictionary entry -- be sure to go about halfway down the page.

When Gregor says 'It's going to be so good to catch up finally', this is a good indication that it has been a long time since he has seen Samia.

Submitted by Priyazmi on Mon, 14/09/2020 - 03:50

I make plans with my friends by using messages or social network ,but i do use email sometimes

Submitted by Roblox on Sun, 06/09/2020 - 15:49

I do make a plan with friends by email. It was easy and handy.

Submitted by Mati on Sat, 15/08/2020 - 07:24

Actually, for the purpose of inviting for some formal meeting we are using email but, for the purpose informal like inviting friends we prefer to use some other social medias like: whats app, Messenger and so on .......

Submitted by Tambur on Fri, 14/08/2020 - 07:38

Usually I don't use email to make plans with my friends, I prefer use Whatsapp and social networking. I use email for work and to send official letters.