Possessives: pronouns

he him  his his
she her  her hers
it it its -
we us  our ours
they them  their theirs

Be careful!

Possessive pronouns do not have an apostrophe:

Is that car yours/hers/ours/theirs?
(NOT Is that car your's/her's/our's/their's?)

We can use a possessive pronoun instead of a full noun phrase to avoid repeating words:

Is that John's car?
     No, it's mine.
 (NOT No, it's [my car].)

Whose coat is this?
     Is it yours? (NOT Is it [your coat]?)

Her coat is grey.
     Mine is brown. (NOT [My coat] is brown.)

Possessives: pronouns 1

GapFillTyping_MTYxNTc

Level: intermediate

We can use possessive pronouns and nouns after of. We can say:

Susan is one of my friends. > Susan is a friend of mine.
(NOT Susan is a friend of me.)

I am one of Susan's friends. > I am a friend of Susan's.
(NOT I am a friend of Susan.)

Possessives: pronouns 2

GapFillTyping_MTYxNTg

Submitted by jennifer9001 on Tue, 23/04/2013 - 18:16

Hi,

I have a question here, in the explanation theirs says he (subject), her (object), her (possessive adjectives), but in the answer the first is hers, with s at the end;  why?, that is possible, or is just a mistake, please help me because I don't understand.

Hello Jennifer 9001!

The word you are asking about, hers, is explained at the start of the page. It is a possessive pronoun, which we use instead of a possessive adjective + noun:

That is her pen.

That (pen) is hers.

The exercise asks you to use the possessive pronouns to complete the exercises, not the possessive adjectives.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy Bee

Submitted by Zoje10 on Mon, 15/04/2013 - 17:34

it`s really easy making exercises here than at school

Submitted by zimmer ei on Fri, 22/03/2013 - 09:50

Hi guys! Can you please explain why a sentence "I am a friend of Susan" isn`t correct thanks!

if i am not mistaken you must put apostrophe + s in the sentence. it probably will become "i am a friend of Susan's"

Submitted by Zoje10 on Wed, 27/02/2013 - 16:52

hello,

haw can i see my points of all kinds of games i have played ?

Hello Zoje,

We don't offer that feature, because the activities are all at different levels, so a total score would not actually help learners very much.

Best wishes,

Adam

Submitted by vicanto on Thu, 14/02/2013 - 05:52

Hi.
I've a doubt, what is the possessive pronoun for it?

I think that if they don't put it is becouse don't have. I am waiting for a better reply  too.

Submitted by Sunil nair on Tue, 05/02/2013 - 04:57

Its really helpful to learn English through this kind of excersise...thank you very much team...:-)

Submitted by Sunil nair on Tue, 05/02/2013 - 04:55

Me either scored 100%...!!!!

Submitted by dorna on Fri, 18/01/2013 - 00:45

its my first 100% haha
hello to everyone, nice to meet you all..

Submitted by madenegri on Wed, 09/01/2013 - 13:59

Hello,

I want to know if there is any problem with the exercise part. I can´t see any of them.

Yesterday I was practicing in another chapter without problems.

Hello madenegri!

Sorry to hear that! I can still see them OK. Are you still having the problem? If you are, could you answer a few questions for me?

• Which web browser are you using? (Firefox, Internet Explorer...?)
  • What computer or phone are you using?
  • What do you see where the videos and tasks should appear? Nothing, or is there a message?
  • Have you tried any other web pages on LearnEnglish?
  • Do you still have the same problem if you use a different computer?

Let me know, and we'll see if we can solve the problem!

Regards

Jeremy Bee

Hello,

Good day to you!

I'd like to know,  how many English skill level need for 5 stars hotel waitress. And what course I learn? Would you mind pls give me advice.

Thanks for your time & attention

Warmly regards,

Phoowai

Submitted by khaled_djeha on Wed, 26/12/2012 - 17:55

Oh I 'm tired..I've only got 4 tru

Submitted by trieuan on Thu, 13/12/2012 - 22:28

Great!! my score is 100%

Submitted by saad noor khan (not verified) on Mon, 05/11/2012 - 08:46

I  got 100%

Submitted by williamyu on Wed, 24/10/2012 - 07:58

Great ,make it ! my score :100%

Submitted by mahamoud on Tue, 16/10/2012 - 14:14

Hi my friends I hope to make conversation with any on in this sit

Submitted by AaronStewart on Fri, 12/10/2012 - 08:12

Exaclty...We generally use such types of construction in case of non-living things. eg. wheel of car, handle of door. Isn't it ungrammatical?

Submitted by Tromaserano on Tue, 31/07/2012 - 04:04

An example can be "This is my pencil, this other it´s yours"???????

Submitted by lee su gon on Tue, 17/07/2012 - 01:26

Hello, sound icon doesn't work?

Hello lee su gon!

Not all of our exercises have sound! The icon is greyed out, so it's not supposed to work - don't worry about it, but feel free to tell us if you think you've found a problem!

Thanks,

Jeremy Bee

Submitted by Yuri Marcela on Mon, 09/07/2012 - 04:26

Hello,

this exercise was dificult to me, I dont know how I can use the possesive pronouns. I want to improve the use of the English grammar.

Yuri

Submitted by TheKochen on Mon, 09/07/2012 - 02:28

Hey, you forgot fill the fields in Possessive Pronouns with "Possessive Pronouns" :D

btw exercises were cool!

Hi,

The possessive pronouns are at the top of the table - you should work out yourself where they go.

Best wishes,

Adam

The LearnEnglish

Submitted by Mukeshji on Thu, 19/01/2012 - 15:30

"Susan is a friend of mine.
but not
Susan is a friend of me."

"I am a friend of Susan's.
but not
I am a friend of Susan."

Before visiting this page I used to write "I am a friend of Susan". Only after visiting here I knew that I was  wrong. So This page is very important  to me.

Thank You, The LearnEnglish Team!!!!