Finding the library

Listen to a conversation about the university library to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Student: Hi. Excuse me.

Student B: Yes?

Student: Where's the library?

Student B: The library? It's next to the registration office.

Student: Ah ... sorry, I'm new. Where's the registration office?

Student B: No problem. See the big building over there?

Student: Yes.

Student B: OK, so that's the lecture theatre. Next to that, on the right, is the registration office. And next to that is the library.

Student: I see. Thanks!

Student: Hello?

Librarian: Hello.

Student: Is this the library?

Librarian: Yes, it is. Quiet, please.

Student: Oh, sorry. Thank you.

Librarian: Can I help you?

Student: Er, yes, please. I want to borrow some books. What do I need?

Librarian: You need a library card. Here's the application form. You can take up to six books maximum today.

Student: OK. Six books.

Librarian: Yes. You have two weeks to read the books. Then you bring them back.

Student: And if I'm late?

Librarian: Every day you are late there is a fee of fifty pence.

Student: OK, 50p a day. Er, anything else?

Librarian: Mobile phones must be switched off in the library. You can bring your laptop, but please use headphones to watch videos or listen to music.

Student: OK, great.

Librarian: And you can't bring food or drink.

Student: No food, no drink. And ...?

Librarian: And please speak quietly! People are working here.

Student: Oh! Oh, OK. Thank you.

Librarian: You're welcome.

Hi mirtha !. I am keen on reading books. I usually go there twice a week. I like to discuss with you some books that you read and also like to hear your ideas. Thanks

Submitted by Agnaldo Penides on Sun, 07/03/2021 - 20:50

hello everyone...there is no library near my house, it´s about 20 minutes from here.

Submitted by RicardoRodrigu… on Wed, 03/03/2021 - 01:31

hi. when I go to library I go to read or investigation.

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Fri, 26/02/2021 - 12:44

Yes, there is a local library where I live, which is helpful. :)

Submitted by Aless on Fri, 26/02/2021 - 00:27

Yes, there is a library in my city. I went sometimes for homework

Submitted by Turko on Mon, 15/02/2021 - 06:00

Yes we have a library at universty,but this is so pretty old and it havent enough book.

Submitted by Nasywa Shiyami… on Fri, 12/02/2021 - 02:21

Yes, there is a library in where i live, but i didn't often go to the library in my city because i just stay at home when i am back at home. I stay in other city for taking taking my undergraduate program. Usually, I often to go to campus library to finished my homework or just for waiting the next classes. *please correct my english, because your correction helps me a lot to proofread and improve my english. Thank You !!!

Submitted by Brona on Thu, 11/02/2021 - 22:02

Unfortunately all the libraries near to my place are closed for good due to funding problems. And so I don't go to libraries as such. But I would have surely visited one if they were open.

Submitted by Azraa Eltayeb on Thu, 04/02/2021 - 09:44

Yes, we have a library here, but it's a little bit far from my house, it takes approximately 1 and half hour. I usually go to the library to read academic articles to enhance my knowledge and improve my PhD proposal.

Submitted by Brenda Patrici… on Wed, 27/01/2021 - 21:54

Yes, there is a library at my university, I go to there once a week, I always brings book to read at home.

Submitted by LibCat on Sun, 24/01/2021 - 15:17

Yes we have a local libray in our area. I couldn't go there often because i am a student in a Universty and i usually use the universty library. In there i borrow books, study for lesson&exams. The libraries are the most important building in a city. because they are a information center. they give free sources, wifi and books. I want to be a librarian as soon as. I will be.

Submitted by Leila77 on Thu, 21/01/2021 - 10:55

There is a local library where I live, but I don't go there, because it's a small library and there aren't many choices of books. However, when I was student I used to go to the library of the university. I regualry borrowed books about different subjects.

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Wed, 20/01/2021 - 12:47

Yes, I like to browse the shelf. ;)

Submitted by Joselyn15 on Wed, 20/01/2021 - 01:33

Yes, I do. Before the pandemic, I hardly ever because the library is so far from my house. I search information for my career.

Submitted by In on Tue, 19/01/2021 - 09:51

yes, I have a wonderful library. I use to go every few months and borrow books.

Submitted by IrinAristova on Sat, 16/01/2021 - 18:24

Yes, i do. When i was a student I often used library. But now I like buying books or sometimes look for a book in the internet.

Submitted by Ngu Wah on Wed, 13/01/2021 - 13:36

Yes, it is in my local area. But I have never been yet there. Mostly I am reading book at home in my free time.

Submitted by said m on Mon, 11/01/2021 - 10:32

hi.i am librarian in iran. i like my job and that is very superb.when i was a child i loved library

Submitted by German on Mon, 11/01/2021 - 01:04

Yes,I do. I have a library near, about 25 minutes to my house. I often go to the library in order to advance in my master final tesis and I used to take out books but now for the pandemic it´s not posible.

Submitted by Jaouad fathi on Thu, 07/01/2021 - 17:01

Yes, I have a library in my city but I don't go there

Submitted by abdiaziz matan on Thu, 07/01/2021 - 07:21

We do have a local library in our country, but it's not my hobbies to go to the it and read books. I prefer reading books in my home rather than going to the library.

Submitted by karinaelizabeth on Wed, 06/01/2021 - 23:54

Yes, near my neighborhood there is a library called BiblioRecreo this is a project between a library and the super center El Recreo. My daughter and I go there every 15 or 30 days it depends on the quantity of books that we had borrowed.

Submitted by Gilda Di Biagio on Wed, 06/01/2021 - 17:43

In my city there is a local library, where I ofthen went when I was at university.

Submitted by Theint Theint Phyo on Sun, 27/12/2020 - 15:39

I have a local library.l go twice a week.I search finished thesies book,other knowledge books.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Sun, 27/12/2020 - 04:08

Yes, I have a local big library. There is a lots of books and journals available here. You can borrow 3 Books for one week. Everyday you are late there is fee of Rs.10. I am a university student so I usually use university library. There is enough for me. In university library no one can have drinks or food. If you feel hungry you should go to canteen. A canteen where I spent most of my time with friends.

Submitted by glen on Sun, 20/12/2020 - 19:54

Yes we have a local library it's near my house but I don't go to the library.

Submitted by Sadflute07 on Thu, 17/12/2020 - 20:40

No we don't have local library but when I travel to any country I used to visit their local library

Submitted by serena93 on Wed, 16/12/2020 - 20:20

Do you have a local library? -yes, I do. I have my local library and it's near my home How often do you go there? What do you do there? - I go there several times and I like to take up some books in English to read at home. It's very helpful because I can improve my vocabulary.

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Wed, 16/12/2020 - 13:38

When I visit a local library, I borrow some books or just browse a book... ;)

Submitted by shahimian on Wed, 16/12/2020 - 08:29

There is a student library in my own local but unfortunately it's not allowed limit of Covid-19 for going there. I just use internet for my needs.

Submitted by Tatiana barrera on Tue, 15/12/2020 - 16:52

yes, I have a local library, it is near Madrid's park. I hardly ever go to Madrid's library, however, the last year I went there with a friend. In this library, there are a lot of books about different thematics as maths, science, history and sometimes it is full of people.

Submitted by Manal on Tue, 15/12/2020 - 07:06

yes, I have a library in my city, actually, its like a gigantic library due there a lot of people in my city and the census increase. the library included every books and any language does you think of all the culture's, as well its a popular library in my all country , all the tourists visit the library. the main things in my routine day that going to the library and takes with me some coffee , I know that the rules said that we cant eat or drink in library even though I do it in secret cause drink coffee then read books give a good energy. sometimes, I take my laptop to study there due there is no calm place in my home and that's such a good idea.

Submitted by giopin-1998 on Wed, 09/12/2020 - 09:15

Until five years ago, I went to my country's library every week, during the summer, to borrow some books. Now, I sometimes go to my University library to study. There's no any fee to pay when I bring the books back late.

Submitted by MJH on Sat, 05/12/2020 - 02:59

Yes, I have. There are several libraries. There are libraries in the schools and there is a municipal library. Really, I never go to the library because I prefer to look for the information on the Internet.

Submitted by abdalkreem seaf on Fri, 04/12/2020 - 15:18

we have got library in my university

Submitted by mrelvinaliyev on Wed, 02/12/2020 - 06:56

Yeah. In my university there is big library. I often go there and borrow some books for reading. I must give these books to university during 2 weeks. If I'm late then I can't take books during one months but i don't pay any fee when i'm late.

Submitted by m.someah on Tue, 01/12/2020 - 13:35

there is a library in my neighborhood which has a big historical and traditional building. When I have exams and cannot concentrate in my house, I go there to study.

Submitted by zabiullah on Mon, 30/11/2020 - 17:50

I would be thankful from your efforts. your lessons make me inspirations to do more and more excercises...actually very help full. You might know better, in my country about 40 years has continued conflicts between Jehadi groups and government. all puplic buildings and libraries have destoried. Luckily; when the Taliban group got rid off the power in my country. by the supportings of The U.S and international partenarships have built so many libraries and schools as well as universities in everywhere. recently has built library near my house, so many students including me have always used thier books and newspaper. but one thinks that i mentioned in this library all books are not updated. although, so many students come and use them. every weekends i go to library and pick up one novel for reading. also sometimes go to with my younger sister and study some lictures of english language. finally i deeply thankful from all countries that have supprted our country to be independent in near future.

Submitted by Sergio1994 on Sat, 28/11/2020 - 15:45

In the library of my university the rules are not strict. You can eat some food, see your phone every moment and play with it.

Submitted by David_Tham on Thu, 26/11/2020 - 14:48

Yes, I have some local libraries in my country.

Submitted by luongpq on Wed, 25/11/2020 - 03:12

During my time in college. I am not often go to the library. Currently, i feel so regret it. But now, I feel so inspire about reading book. hopefully, i will take a time to go to the library every week.

Submitted by HAMZEH on Tue, 24/11/2020 - 21:22

There is a local library in my community ,but onestly i have never been go there.

Submitted by Diallo on Wed, 18/11/2020 - 21:33

In my University there is a big library.

Submitted by Leokad27 on Wed, 18/11/2020 - 05:00

In my community there are two libraries , but honestly never i ve been go there

Submitted by mrelvinaliyev on Wed, 11/11/2020 - 14:18

In my school there is library next to director room. I go there often. I get book to read from here. I have two weeks to read books. Then I must give to library. If I late I must give fee of fifty pence a day.

Submitted by frknakgn on Tue, 10/11/2020 - 19:59

I don't have a local library.There is one but it is far away from home.

Submitted by Akram Mahmoudi on Tue, 10/11/2020 - 19:00

Yes,we have a local library in our city. We can borrow 5 books each time.

Submitted by MariaFernanda on Thu, 05/11/2020 - 15:31

I have a local library but never is open, so i aint go there