At the chemist

Listen to a conversation at a chemist's to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Chemist: Hello, can I help?

Customer: Yes, my wife sent me here. I, erm, need something for a sore throat … and I can't stop coughing. It really hurts.

Chemist: Do you have a headache too?

Customer: Not really, no.

Chemist: Well, we have this syrup. And these lozenges.

Customer: Which is better?

Chemist: They're both good. The syrup is more expensive.

Customer: Oh, well … I'll take the lozenges, then. How many do I take?

Chemist: Just one.

Customer: Sorry, I'm sorry. Er, how often should I take it?

Chemist: Just one every four to six hours. Take it before mealtimes. Are you allergic to any medicine?

Customer: No.

Chemist: Then you'll be fine with this.

Customer: Can I get some antibiotics too?

Chemist: I'm afraid you need a prescription for that.

Customer: Ah.

Chemist: You know, you should really see a doctor if that cough continues.

Customer: Thanks. I know.

Chemist: Anything else?

Customer: No, thanks.

Chemist: That'll be £7.49 then, please.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

B1 English level (intermediate)
Profile picture for user Dieudonné

Submitted by Dieudonné on Sat, 28/12/2019 - 10:42

I have a gastric reflux since august 2018 and so far I still have a reflux in the morning. because of of the acidity it really hurts, particularly my throat and tongue. I am tired with taking medicines. I can confirm that I loose the taste.
Profile picture for user Mohamad-Altaha

Submitted by Mohamad-Altaha on Wed, 25/12/2019 - 19:32

I always catch a cold once a year in January, I do not use any chemical medicine, only lemon

Submitted by I P on Sat, 14/12/2019 - 19:32

I m not very often sick, but also have periods when the cold catch me. That is usually during summer, when I work every day, and in period between (ending summer and starting autmun). For me typically is cough (like my throat is the weakest part of me), it s hard, it lasts about week or two, so I use syrup or seawater, it really helps.

Submitted by Ame on Sun, 22/09/2019 - 23:59

I get sick up to three times a year of cough or cold and sometimes I get asthma. I recommend getting a flu shot and covering yourself when it's cold and avoid eating cold things.
Profile picture for user Caterina Siligardi

Submitted by Caterina Siligardi on Sat, 21/09/2019 - 17:10

Luckily, I seldom get a cold or a cough in the last years. But last winter I had a bad influence. I'm not keen on medicines, so I worried about staying in bed, drinking more, lowering the temperature with cold wraps of water on my forehead. For all antibiotics, it's absolutely needful a doctor's prescription! I strongly recommend it!

Submitted by Kenite Ray on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 08:32

Submitted by Siti Alawiah on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:16

I have completed the lesson At the chemist. The level that I chose was B1 Intermediate Listening.

Submitted by Zun Addwa bint… on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:14

"I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion, A weather Forecast, and Making a Decision. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.
Profile picture for user Steve Zarv

Submitted by Steve Zarv on Mon, 09/09/2019 - 17:13

I usually get a cold once in a month due to the fact that I'm living with seven people, which makes slightly harder trying to manage dealing with the chance of getting a disease or virus spread, not to mention that having pets makes it even harder, specially if it is a cat because cat hair is everywhere, therefore makes you prone to get respiratory problems more often. Following that panning, something you may do is strenghten your defenses by doing exercise, or forcing yourself to deal with the cold weather so that you might be able to accustom your respiratory system to low temperatures, even, (if you can afford) avoiding to take syrup or lazenges to streghten your body naturally.
Profile picture for user kamicounciler

Submitted by kamicounciler on Sun, 08/09/2019 - 18:24

i have got cold 3 or 4 times in a year for recent years,although for years before that i can say that was one time per year.i try stay home , get warm and use plenty of honey and lemons in warm water solution to handle it . ofcourse i may use antibiotics if it gets worse.actually i rarely see a doctor for a cold.

Submitted by popo1011 on Sun, 08/09/2019 - 06:42

I often get a cold once a year.I do not consume any medicine. I treat myself by herbal hot drinks. It takes approximately long time, but in my opinion, it is better than consuming chemical medicines.
Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Submitted by Magedelabd on Sun, 01/09/2019 - 18:20

I get a cough like three times a year and I just drink hot drinks for treatment.

Submitted by starfish2019 on Sun, 11/08/2019 - 11:03

How often do you get a cough or a cold? What do you recommend? I got a cough or a cold once in three months or six months time. If it is minor then I would recommend to take a cough syrup either with prescription one or non-prescription. I normally take Day Time and Night Time Cold and Flu Medicine (Made in USA) and that one is really good but if it is more severe then I would take stronger medicines and antibiotics, afterward I see a doctor.

Submitted by pam89 on Fri, 09/08/2019 - 11:41

I get a cough one or two time in a year. Usally, I take some tablets and sometimes a syrup. The most important think to do when we have a bad cough is stay at home in a warm place

Submitted by naser.z on Tue, 23/07/2019 - 06:48

The first task at some of the course like this cours is incomplete. Please fix it

Hello naser.z

Do you mean the preparation task? To do this kind of task, you must always use the little white hands to move words into boxes. For example, if you put 'lozenges' in the second box, you must press on the small hand in the 'lozenges' box and then press in the second box. Then, if you want to move 'tablets' under 'lozenges', you must press on the small hand in the 'tablets' box and then press on top of the small hand in the 'lozenges' box. Then both words should stay there. Repeat this process with the other words.

Please let us know if that doesn't work for you.

All the best

Submitted by Soundtrip on Tue, 23/07/2019 - 03:17

Unfortunately, I have a cold once or twice a year. But recently I’ve been taken a pills as fast as I can when I start to feel a cold. That helps me prevent a cold on the first steps of an illness.

Submitted by Claudette Ndenzako on Sun, 07/07/2019 - 00:32

I don't get a cough very often. Once a year in winter I might catch a cold from children I teach or my own kids. I would get a chesty or dry cough for about a week and treat it with a cough mixture and lot of rest. And try to keep as warm as possible.

Submitted by Kinza123 on Tue, 25/06/2019 - 16:28

I must say that as we all know prevention is better than cure so we should take immediate action after learning signs for sore throat. We must know that there is nothing good in prolonging delay in taking any immediate remedy. The best and quick remedy which I suggest in this condition is a teaspoon of salt in fairly warm water and following the process of taking it iniside the throat and throwing outside the mouth and repeating this often 3 times a day and afterwards taking a tea and medicine if required

Submitted by maria.khazaee on Sun, 02/06/2019 - 15:31

in my opinion,when people get caught,the first action is to stay at home and rest &drink a lot of vitamin C and orange juice.if the sore throat continues,he/she should see a doctor to take a proper prescription.

Submitted by liaben on Fri, 17/05/2019 - 12:11

I hardly ever get a cold. If this happens, I drink a tea with medicine to alleviate the process.

Submitted by Leo123 on Tue, 07/05/2019 - 08:32

I usually have a cough or a cold in winter. I recommend a lot of vitamin C and a few days in a warm bed. I wish all good health.