Episode 03

Marcia calls the candidates to give them details of the interview.

Do the preparation task first. Then watch the video and do the exercises. You can also read the transcript.

Marcia: Hi, I'm Marcia Boardman. I'm calling from WebWare.

Daniel: Oh, hi, Marcia. Great to hear from you.

Marcia: You'll have already been told you've been shortlisted for interview ...

Sarah: Oh, yes, great ... hello? Can you hear me?

Marcia: Yes ... Is it OK if I call you now? Would you like me to call you back later?

Sarah: Erm, no, no, no, that's OK.

Marcia: Good. Well, we're very excited about meeting you. OK, I just want to talk you through the procedure for the day. Someone will meet you when you arrive, reimburse you for any travel expenses you may have, and then bring you up to meet myself and Philip Hart, the CEO.

Daniel: OK, sounds good. So, will you be the only members of the interview panel there, then?

Marcia: Yes, it'll be just me and Philip who will talk to you. The interview will be in three parts. First of all we'll ask you some general questions about yourself and your educational and professional background, then we'll move on to specifics.

Sarah: Oh, er, specifics? Erm, well, er, what kind of questions will you be asking?

Marcia: Well, it'll be very similar to the personal statement you submitted with your CV. We'll be expecting you to give actual examples of problems you've faced and solved, and of what you feel are your major successes in your career so far.

Daniel: OK, well, yeah, that sounds great. Can't wait!

Marcia: Then there'll be a chance for you to ask us any questions about the job itself or WebWare in general.

Sarah: Oh, erm, OK. I'll think of something!

Marcia: After that, we'd like you to give a short presentation on how you see WebWare as a company progressing, and how you see yourself taking us there.

Daniel: OK, so will I be expected to give, like, a formal-style presentation?

Marcia: It can be as formal or as informal as you like. There'll be a flip chart and a data projector there available. If you need anything else, just let us know.

Sarah: Oh, erm, OK, a presentation! Erm, I'll think of something. I haven't done one of those in a while ...

Marcia: Is that all clear? Great. So, Daniel, I'll see you at 11 a.m., a week tomorrow.

Daniel: OK, great, yeah, I look forward to meeting you! Thanks, bye.

Marcia: OK, so, Sarah, we'll be seeing you at 1 p.m., a week tomorrow. Best of luck!

Sarah: Oh, thanks. I'll need it!

Hello Vienna2018,

The sentence is not quite correct. You need to say:

You must have already been told (that) you've been shortlisted for interview.

Both sentences are about what someone believes or expects to be true. We generally use 'will have...' when we have an expectation based on what we know about the world (procedures, what is normal, typical etc) and 'must have...' when we have some concrete evidence which persuades us (something we can see, for example, or something we have just heard). The difference is not great, however, and the forms are often interchangeable.

Submitted by Leo Liu on Sat, 03/11/2018 - 12:55

Dear moderator, The third question is "flipchart". In the dictionary, the word has a space in the middle of it. So does it right? And I want to know why we use "flip chart" to mean this. Because the flip is meaning turns over quickly. Can you help me? Thanks a lot. Best regards, Leo

Hello Leo,

Many compound nouns have alternative spellings. Flipchart, for example, can be written as one or two words:

The name clearly comes from the movement used to turn a new page on such a chart, but words are used quite flexibly when new technology comes along and I wouldn't search for an exact match between names which have earlier uses in different contexts.

Submitted by Leo Liu on Sat, 03/11/2018 - 12:17

Dear moderator, I have met another question. What is the "routine" mean in the sentence "Good cop / Bad cop routine"? Because I remember the "routine" means things we regularly do. Can you help me? Thanks a lot. Best regards, Leo

Hi again Leo,

Many words in English (as well as most languages, for that matter), have different meanings or uses in different contexts. In the phrase you ask about it, 'routine' refers to a way of questioning or interrogating people that is used very often by police officers.

Submitted by Leo Liu on Sat, 03/11/2018 - 11:16

Dear moderator, I have a question. What the sentence "in the pursuit of " mean? Because I can't find the meaning in the dictionary. I only knows the "pursuit" is means an activity. I think the phrase means the purpose. Can you help me? Thanks a lot. Best regards, Leo

Hi Leo,

In 'in pursuit of', 'pursuit' means something like 'attempt' or 'try'. So 'in the pursuit of gold' would mean 'trying to obtain gold'.

Submitted by Yshc on Wed, 06/06/2018 - 21:09

Oh, and the same is with the Task 1

Submitted by Yshc on Wed, 06/06/2018 - 21:05

Hello! Unfortunately I'm unable to do the Preparation task - there are some techial problems with it. I tried to open it using different devices (PC with Windows 10 and iPad) and different browsers (Chrome, Mozilla, Edge and Safari), but the result is always the same - the big grey square appears with no task in it.

Submitted by Peter M. on Thu, 07/06/2018 - 07:29

In reply to by Yshc

Hello Yshc,

I'm afraid we had a few technical problems with the exercises but everything should be working correctly now.

Submitted by julio arnaud on Fri, 18/05/2018 - 15:43

It was ok. I usually listen twice to be sure I understand the whole video.

Submitted by Myette on Tue, 06/03/2018 - 15:11

I like the videos, the conversations were easy to follow. It is also good to show 2 different types of interviewees. This will help the young job seekers on how they present themselves in an interview. Many thanks to the whole team.

Submitted by Tomoaki Hachiya on Thu, 08/02/2018 - 00:20

I once worked for a major bank in Japan, and I remember the day I had a job interview at the bank. I think the procedure of the interview was more casual and simple than this video, and it was already decided that I would be hired but gave me an interview just for formality. It's a rather sad memory of mine since I had to resign the bank because of my mental problem, and after that I learned that I'm not a person to belong to an organization but to do something by myself, which led me to become a translator of English, my present job..

Submitted by Ana Lucia Ferreira on Mon, 29/01/2018 - 17:22

The video content it is really good. I guess the 2 candidates are good ones, but the man looks more confident even answering Mrs. Marcia at the phone. Looking forward to next episode!

Submitted by Kyaw Kyaw Thet on Sun, 14/01/2018 - 15:05

What does "a week tomorrow" mean? Can we just simply state that "tomorrow" alone? Thanks

Hello Kyaw Kyaw Thet,

'a week tomorrow' means 'a week from tomorrow', in other words, eight days from today. If today is Sunday the 14th, it means Monday the 22nd.

Submitted by ericlaurencin on Wed, 03/01/2018 - 16:42

In this video, Sarah is more excited than David but it will be the first time she makes a presentation and she is not sure to pass.