A travel guide

Read a travel guide about Bangkok to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text

Whether you're travelling to the islands or the mountains of Thailand, you're likely to spend at least one night in its capital city on the way. Bangkok might be noisy and polluted but it's also an exciting city with plenty of things to see and do. Why not make it a longer stay?

Where to stay

The Khao San Road was a famous traveller spot even before Leonardo di Caprio's character in the film The Beach stayed there. But it's noisy, not very pretty and not very Thai. For something more authentic, Phra Kanong offers an alternative place to stay, with its fantastic street markets where everyday Bangkok people eat, work and live. It's not as convenient for the main tourist sites, but it has a Skytrain station so you can be at the Grand Palace in 20 minutes.

How to get around

Bangkok's traffic can be a nightmare. Sure, you can easily take a taxi – if you want to spend hours stuck in traffic jams – but there are two much better ways to get around the city. To explore the temples and historical sites, catch an express boat river taxi or a longtail boat along the Chao Phraya river and the canals. For the modern part of the city, the Skytrain is a fast, cheap way to travel from the river to the shopping malls and nightlife of Sukhumvit, and the famous Chatuchak street market.

Where to eat

The simple answer is: everywhere! Thai street food is among the best in the world, and for around $5 you can eat a filling and delicious meal. Some food stands have little plastic seats where you can sit and eat and they cook the same dish over and over, like fried chicken on rice or Pad Thai noodles. Head for Chinatown – Yaowarat Street – and choose whatever looks most interesting from the many excellent Chinese and Thai restaurants and food stands.

What to do

After you've seen the main sites like the Giant Buddha at the temple of Wat Pho and the spectacular Grand Palace, and shopped at Chatuchak market, check out the snake farm and watch the live snake show. You can even touch a snake yourself if you want to!

Do you need to improve your English reading skills?

Submitted by Nurten on Sat, 28/03/2020 - 13:09

If the paragraph is true I would like to visit Bangkok because I want to do an insanity and I want to touch a snake

Submitted by noentropica on Fri, 27/03/2020 - 21:41

I would like to spend time in Bangkok. I love Thai food, I think that i could enjoy a lot the city and their around. I like to read this travel guide, i feel like going to Thailandia. It might be a needy clash cultural and understand better the world.

Submitted by Mamta Gusain on Thu, 26/03/2020 - 08:28

Yes, I would like to visit Bangkok. Thailand is one of the best attraction for tourist. i love travelling hence i would like to visit not only bangkok but other places also like chiang mai, chiang thai, phuket, pattaya. i would like to try thai street food, visiting beaches.

Submitted by amanda ferreira on Wed, 25/03/2020 - 18:45

Yes, I would. This place, it's appears to be very fun and friendly wiht tourists.

Submitted by theguest22 on Tue, 24/03/2020 - 20:57

By short words, who don't like to see and enjoy in this spectacular places, and live that moment when ride longtail boat or eat different meal and show another communities?. But I have wonder about what meaning K ao San Raod not very Thai

Submitted by Paulo Henrique… on Thu, 19/03/2020 - 02:40

I have never been to Bangkok, but I would love to be able to visit one day.
Profile picture for user Nikolaos Stavrianakis

Submitted by Nikolaos Stavr… on Fri, 28/02/2020 - 10:15

Yes I would like to go to Bangkok It's a different culture, I love Thai food especially fried chicken on rice and pad Thai noodles. I would love to go on a sky train and visite the spectacular temples.

Submitted by Trần Thị Mai Phương on Mon, 24/02/2020 - 14:38

It's very great when I visit Bangkok. Because after I had read this article, I imagined interesting things here. There are many delicious foods, beautiful places and get experience culture here. I like traveling and discover new things.

Submitted by Ainur on Mon, 24/02/2020 - 04:17

Yes, I would like to visit Bangkok. I think it is also very exciting and interesting city with own soul and culture.

Absolutely, I would love to. As a fan of traveling, I'd like to visit awesome places around the world as much as possible. And Thailand is one of my arrival list of must-see countries. First of all, the weather is nice, so I can easily adapt to it. Besides, Thai foods are known as the best ones, especially the cuisine made from tropical fruits. I wish to come to Thailand on the nearest day.

Submitted by Alaa Basha on Sat, 22/02/2020 - 05:58

It would be interesting. It's amazing to see the world and get experienced with other culture. And the most fantastic thing is to eat different meals around the world.

Submitted by VladIST18 on Wed, 19/02/2020 - 14:16

I have never been interested in Thailand, thanks to this text I learned a little about it.I would like to go there)

Submitted by Ostrik on Wed, 19/02/2020 - 04:46

It was very interesting to read about Bangkok, about its interesting places, I hope someday I can visit it.

Submitted by ValeraY on Tue, 18/02/2020 - 21:52

Yes, I would like visit Bangkok because I like exotic nature, food and beautiful scenery.

Submitted by Are7even on Tue, 18/02/2020 - 21:21

I have long wanted to go to Thailand. Now I want to get there even more. Thanks for the interesting story!

Submitted by DavidJrom on Tue, 18/02/2020 - 21:16

This information was very usefull

Submitted by romarionba on Tue, 18/02/2020 - 20:32

I`ve never heard about Bangkok before, but this article inspired me to visit this place in my future! I like travelling, and i think this place is the best one to visit with your family or friends. So, i really hope i`ll get the chance soon to go there and explore something new for me!

Submitted by KateKO on Tue, 18/02/2020 - 18:51

It would be interesting to visit Bangkok. But actually all that intrigued me is the snake farm. I want to touch at least one little snake! Or maybe a big one? It's doesn't metter. Just kidding. I have never taste food of another countries. so i think it must be a good experience to discover new dishes. All of us need to open the door into new "worlds". Hope one day I'll stay there at least for a few hours..

Submitted by shahhoseini on Wed, 12/02/2020 - 15:58

In my priority, there are other places in the world for traveling like the Grand Wall in China, Eiffel Towers in Paris and Pyramids in Egypt.

Submitted by Olena on Tue, 11/02/2020 - 20:45

Wow! It’s really interesting!

Submitted by Nguyetlouis on Sat, 08/02/2020 - 04:40

I would like to visit Bangkok because it has many similar things like my country: good food, specially street food culture ; tropical climate which usually make me feel very pleasant, and last but not need, the beauty of gold temple here, i'll really take lots of photographs of them and send them to my friends. Wait for me, the country of smile
Profile picture for user mtalebi

Submitted by mtalebi on Sat, 11/01/2020 - 05:46

Yes, I would like to visit Bangkok. It has a lot of things such as beaches, new foods, historical sites, different culture.

Submitted by Fikymaulana on Sat, 28/12/2019 - 09:12

I haven't visit to thailand yet. But my friend told me that thailand is one of the best holiday destination. The food, gift are cheaper than other even with Bali. And particulary the nightlife, He added.

Submitted by Yeasman on Mon, 25/11/2019 - 15:09

I would like to stay in Bangkok because it is beautiful city where I can eat something special and visit many places

Submitted by Maksmatt on Mon, 25/11/2019 - 10:11

I would like to visit Bangkok. This must be a great experience to stay there for some days; i think 3 or 4 days might be enough.

Submitted by Ali Hussein on Fri, 22/11/2019 - 21:11

Yes I'd like to stay in banghok ,why? the answer is easy : First of all ,visiting a place which contains too many historical places with low cost is very tempting . Also visiting the city sites using a boat is sound a lot of fun , the most annoying thing may be much traffic but as the passage suggest , there are many solution to overcome this .
Profile picture for user Smiley1

Submitted by Smiley1 on Thu, 14/11/2019 - 03:57

I've never been to Bangkok. All I know about the country is.... there are many Buddhism monks wearing orange clothes who are highly respected by the people; hot meals; bustling streets; people speak Thai which sounds like "ping pong pang" to me. ;)

Submitted by HelianG on Wed, 13/11/2019 - 21:18

personally I do not like crowded places,and bangkok seem like a very crowded place I would rather go to silent places like mountains,I do not like to be surrounded of a lot of people.

Submitted by Angelica castillo on Wed, 30/10/2019 - 23:59

I would like to see Bangkok sound like a fun city that has nothing to hide, although I don't know if I would like to take a Skytrain because I usually get dizzy.

Submitted by araheem on Wed, 30/10/2019 - 09:50

Yes, definitely like to visit Bangkok. I would like to explore the main city and historical monuments which are famous in the world.

Submitted by MohamedAdk on Thu, 24/10/2019 - 20:42

When i was child i hope that i go to Thailand , and now i have the same dream . I will work hard , earn money and visit all Famous cities in the word , trying new food and exploring new cultures , this my first thing i will do when i start working .

Submitted by Tasneem on Wed, 02/10/2019 - 19:31

I wouldn't love to visit Bangkok as I don't like crowded areas. I prefer silent places and deserted areas like beaches and mountains.

Submitted by KimYEN on Fri, 27/09/2019 - 09:48

I have never been to Bangkok, but when I saw advertisements on facebook , youtube about food street, festivals at Bangkok. I think Bangkok is a capital interesting and I want to go to Bangkok once.

Submitted by Oussema3ahmed on Tue, 24/09/2019 - 08:22

Many tourists visited Bangkok and said it's amazing city . Also , my best friend Eric have been over there and he advised me to visit . that's why i would like to visit Thailand and spend some time and discover the amazing sightseeing of the country .
Profile picture for user mehrazin

Submitted by mehrazin on Sun, 22/09/2019 - 14:37

Hi everyone I have never been to Thailand but it would be so interesting to have a visit there only for once. It seems to be exciting to go the fantastic street markets for shopping.the best ways to get rid of the bangkok traffic would be catching the express river taxi boat and skytrain station. it helps the tourists get away from the noisy and polluted atmosphere and have a nice fun to get around the city and explore the sights and tourism spots.i like to visit there to see its historical sites and visit the well known temples.

Submitted by Johanna park on Sun, 22/09/2019 - 13:13

Yes i would like to go to thailand one day not even this contry but i think i would go to the whole asia I would like to taste thier food and to go to thier historical places To wear thier traditional clothes

Submitted by nickynick on Fri, 13/09/2019 - 09:25

excellent way to explore and learn new things is the travelling for new lands... So exciting and full of energy for me

Submitted by Pheebs on Thu, 12/09/2019 - 18:35

Yes, I would love to visit Bangkok someday because I love exploring new places and get to know different cultures.

Submitted by Rosalind Wang on Sat, 07/09/2019 - 10:02

I never been to Thailand. But it is the target for me to travel in here.

Submitted by cittàutopica on Thu, 05/09/2019 - 18:04

I dislike visiting Bangkok, because there are a lot of places and cities which I would like to see, much more interesting, in my opinion, than Bangkok.
Profile picture for user Steve Zarv

Submitted by Steve Zarv on Thu, 29/08/2019 - 17:16

I might visit it but just for a few days, the fact that it is polluted and noisy makes me concern about whether those tourist attractions are enjoyable. Not to mention the fact that the polluted air rates reach very dangerous levels that may affect tourists. Maybe those counterproductive things are the reason why Bandgkok rates are falling.

Submitted by popo1011 on Tue, 27/08/2019 - 06:57

I do not travel to Bangkok. I love the calm place.

Submitted by Tahliil_11 on Sun, 28/07/2019 - 09:33

Visiting in Bangkok is one of my dreams.

Submitted by Smartsosty on Tue, 23/07/2019 - 02:02

Of course, I would love to visit Bangkok and others cities of Thailand if right now I would have the money; It's interesting and exciting for me to know other cities and countries because the memories stuck with me all my life.

Submitted by anwarrasool on Thu, 04/07/2019 - 21:16

The article was written very well. Easy to understand. I always afraid to write sentences because i feel that it is not correct. I would appreciate the educator team to provide more questions related to the article or opportunity to write small sentences.

Submitted by Ihssane on Wed, 03/07/2019 - 11:52

Of course yes. I dream of exploring new countries and cultures. I'll do it if I get a chance

Submitted by barno.egamberdieva on Thu, 27/06/2019 - 10:17

There are many beatiful cities in Uzbekistan. If u will have a chance to travel to my country u will love it

Submitted by Aikotoko on Sat, 08/06/2019 - 09:58

I am living in Bangkok now because my husband works here. Before coming here, to tell the truth, I did not want to go. I think Japan is the best country to live and to eat in the Asia! But now I love here. People in Thailand are very kind, especially for children. Food are very delicious and I often eat Thai food. There are many wonderful beaches, islands and places to visit in Thailand. If you visit, I am sure you love this country, of course, Bangkok too!!