A phone call from a customer

Listen to the phone call from a customer to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Junko: Hello, Junko Mori speaking. How can I help you?

Andrea: Hi, Junko, it's Andrea here from Red Band. I'm calling about our latest order.

Junko: Everything arrived OK, right? We got the delivery confirmation at our end.

Andrea: Yes, everything's fine with the order. I'm calling about the invoice and the payment terms. I need a favour.

Junko: A favour? What do you need?

Andrea: This is a little, er ... difficult, but I need an extension on the payment terms. I know they're usually 30 days, but we're having some cash flow problems. You'd really be helping us out if you could extend it to 60 days.

Junko: I'm not sure if I can do that, Andrea. We've got regulations at our end, and also have to manage our own cash flow.

Andrea: I promise this won't become the norm, Junko. Actually, I also want to place another new order. The same size order as last time. It's for an important customer and they pay on delivery.

Junko: I see. So your cash flow problem will be solved after this new order is delivered.

Andrea: Exactly.

Junko: That sounds good. Hold on, Andrea. Let me see what I can do. Yes, I think we can make an exception this time.

Andrea: That's great, Junko. I appreciate your help.

Junko: And we appreciate your business, Andrea. It works both ways.

Andrea: Thanks again, Junko. Can you send me a quick email confirmation of the payment terms extension?

Junko: Sure, no problem. We're happy to help you.

Andrea: Great. And I'll email you the new order.

Junko: Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it. Talk to you soon.

Andrea: You too. Goodbye.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Submitted by Ammaraf on Sun, 08/03/2020 - 07:45

Actually yes since I am working as Contract engineer, I am in poison where can I give a favor to the suppliers and sub contractors, but only those whose need a help not the lazy people.

Submitted by Dr DUCET on Wed, 04/03/2020 - 23:54

hello there, i'll start by thanks those administrators who built this platform as my answer for that question, some time i'm doing the favours or make exceptions for important clients thanks

Submitted by Mahmoud on Mon, 02/03/2020 - 09:33

thank you British council for your effort . I am happy to write my first comment .

Submitted by vilma caram on Mon, 24/02/2020 - 15:17

It is really strong tools for learning english. I'm very glad and grateful for your plataform.

Submitted by Ainur on Mon, 24/02/2020 - 11:10

I have never faced with such situations, but I think that if I would be a supplier and have important and permanent clients, then possibly I make an exceptions for them.

Submitted by Laila Ben Lamine on Mon, 24/02/2020 - 08:25

thanks britsh council for all the cours it's great
Profile picture for user Nikolaos Stavrianakis

Submitted by Nikolaos Stavr… on Sat, 22/02/2020 - 16:23

I have my own company, some of my clients are very important and it's quite common for some of them to ask for an extension of the payment terms. So, if I don't have cash flow issues I'm happy to make an exception.

Submitted by Israa Moha on Wed, 12/02/2020 - 18:20

Actually, yes, I do because I am a teacher and I have a good and very diligent students if these students have some accidental accidents, I might give them exceptions. As well as the people who deal with special customer, I think it is big mistake to loose him.

Submitted by shahhoseini on Sat, 08/02/2020 - 14:57

I am a teacher and it is very happened that I direct my students for their homework assignment but usually have not any preference or exception for anyone.

Submitted by Denchik on Fri, 07/02/2020 - 20:09

Hi, my name is Denys, and I think British Council it is the better English teacher than other programs becouse I think so

Submitted by Ayzhan on Tue, 04/02/2020 - 17:43

If I were in the same company, I will do exceptions for important clients

Submitted by pacha809 on Wed, 29/01/2020 - 13:38

In his phone, Andrea says: Actually, I also want to place another new order. The same size order as last time. And in the task 1.4, the answer is false. I don't understand.

Hello pacha809

Task 1.4 is half true and half false: 'Andrea has a new order to place ...' is true, but the rest ('even bigger than the last one.') is false because what he says is 'Actually, I also want to place another new order. The same size order as last time.'

Since 1.4 is not all true, it is false. Does that make sense?

All the best

Hello khmax

It's a great idea to listen to the audio twice or even more times. I would encourage you to use a dictionary because you can learn so much from checking words in it.

I'm afraid we don't correct students' writing, but if you have a specific question about a specific sentence, please feel free to ask.

All the best

Submitted by masoma123 on Tue, 14/01/2020 - 21:49

yes if he or she be my important customers ,I will extend the payment term.I know cash flow is important but my customer is most important then it.
Profile picture for user walidel7

Submitted by walidel7 on Sun, 12/01/2020 - 17:13

I am very happy when I can listen to the recording and answer 100% correctly , my progress in English incredible. In 2019 i was set plan to passing IELTS exam but unfortunately I didn't achieve my goal because I am prepare my dissertation in pediatric nursing and my title is "Medication errors in pediatric hospital, main causes and leading factor and attitude and report from nurses opinion. I hope to every one here to achieve his dreams in 2020 . Much appreciated to British council for helping us. kind regards

Submitted by RuthY on Mon, 06/01/2020 - 18:10

Yes, I do when necessary.

Submitted by itsyahya_wc on Wed, 01/01/2020 - 17:21

In my idea, all of us should support together in each field.

Submitted by Fikymaulana on Sat, 28/12/2019 - 08:28

When I was a Credit Marketing Officer in finance company. Sometimes I need to assist my costumer, particulary the customer which I have known for a long time and they are had good payment. I had paid my costomer instalment with my cash. Definitly, My costumer paid back my money after several time.
Profile picture for user Dieudonné

Submitted by Dieudonné on Sun, 15/12/2019 - 17:51

I remember when I was a seller, I made sometimes some favors to my customers whether giving them an extension or reducing the bill; it is with this mind you can keep your best customers and even more develop your business. I think that the favors sometimes strengthen our community life and make us to be closer.

Submitted by Oanhtran on Wed, 11/12/2019 - 01:18

I think that we could accept the special case to solve problem for customers. But important thing is we ensure to control the risk. with that way , we could build strong cooperation with customer.

Submitted by Naveen Joshi on Thu, 28/11/2019 - 14:33

yes, I would make an exception to an important client because it's good for business to have loyal clients and it will also build a good trust & communication between the client and company.

Submitted by Maksmatt on Mon, 25/11/2019 - 10:48

Yes, I often make exceptions for clients, but it depends on if I know the person well. If I don't know the person good enough I'll follow the regulations.

Submitted by Albert4321 on Sun, 24/11/2019 - 13:54

As far as im concerned i have already been learning English for 2 years.I know grammar part on high level but,ufortunately,i didnt pay attention to learning new words.I regret it

Submitted by Chewlim on Tue, 12/11/2019 - 22:09

In my view, for any business, there are always exceptions occasionally, it is usually for customers' loyalty, on the other hands, it is also an important business strategy. But the key is how to manage and access the risk.

Submitted by Oyundari on Sun, 03/11/2019 - 13:01

I have listened this audio 3 times. First time, I have listened without transcript and did tasks1, 2. But my result was so bad. Second I have listened with transcript. This time my result was fine. I thought I need more practice to listen.

Submitted by César Árraga on Sun, 06/10/2019 - 00:12

Yes. A few years ago, my aunt had a small shop, some clients used to order products to buy on credit, however, we had some trustworthy customers and sold them products that paying the next week.
Profile picture for user TP

Submitted by TP on Fri, 20/09/2019 - 08:32

Yes, I sometimes do favours or make exceptions for the important clients. It usually depends on what kind of a favour is expected and how trustworthy the client is. However, I don't allow the change to become the norm.

Submitted by Karimkm on Fri, 20/09/2019 - 01:33

I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion, A weather forecast, and Making a decision. The level that is choose was Intermediate B1 Listening

Submitted by nuryatie binti abdal on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 10:22

i have completed the following lessons of A phone call from a customer, Arriving late to class, and Meeting an old friend.The level that i chose was intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by esthertimbong on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 10:13

Submitted by Amilah Zulkifli on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 09:15

I have completed the following lessons of A phone call from a customer, Chatting about a series, and Meeting an old friend.The level that I chose was intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by Supina Anak Inggu on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 09:03

I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion, A weather Forecast and Making a Decision. The level that I chose was Imtermediate B1 Listening

Submitted by FLORENCE SHERRIE on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 08:55

I have completed the following lessons of A phone call from a customer. the level that I choose is B1 Listening.

Submitted by syahirah suhaimi on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 08:25

I have completed the following lessons of A phone call from a customer, Arriving late to class, Meeting an old friend . The level that I chose is Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by syahirah suhaimi on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 08:19

I have completed the following lessons of A phone call from a customer. The level that I chose is Intermediate B1 listening.

Submitted by senoritaj on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 08:12

I have completed the following lessons of An interview about listening skills, Making a Decision, and A phone call from a customer. The level that i chose was Intermediate B1 Listening

Submitted by Muhamad Aqmal … on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 08:02

I have completed the following lessons of A Phone Call of a customer.The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 listening

Submitted by thuraiya on Wed, 18/09/2019 - 20:31

yes i did ,one time there was women needs help with her case and asked me to help her and give her legal advice for free and i accept it.

Submitted by Haiza Supian on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 09:13

I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion, Phone Call From Customer, and Making a Decision. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by KhaleefRosely on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 09:12

" I have completed the following lessons of A phone call from customer . The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by aina fatin amierah on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:39

I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion, A weather Forecast, and Making a Decision. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening."

Submitted by fatin sahira on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:36

I have completed the following lessons of Meeting an old friend, A phone call from a customer, and Arriving late to class. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by Siti Aida on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:32

I have completed the following lessons of A phone call from a customer, Arriving late to class, Meeting an old friend. The level that I choose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by ani atiqah on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:06

I have completed the following lessons of A phone call from a customer, meeting an old friend and a student discussion. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by Haiza Supian on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:02