An email from a friend

Read an email about plans for the weekend to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text

Hi Samia,

Just a quick email to say that sounds like a great idea. Saturday is better for me because I'm meeting my parents on Sunday. So if that's still good for you, why don't you come here? Then you can see the new flat and all the work we've done on the kitchen since we moved in. We can eat at home and then go for a walk in the afternoon. It's going to be so good to catch up finally. I want to hear all about your new job!

Our address is 52 Charles Road, but it's a bit difficult to find because the house numbers are really strange here. If you turn left at the post office and keep going past the big white house on Charles Road, there's a small side street behind it with the houses 50–56 in. Don't ask me why the side street doesn't have a different name! But call me if you get lost and I'll come and get you.

Let me know if there's anything you do/don't like to eat. Really looking forward to seeing you!

See you soon!

Gregor

Do you need to improve your English reading skills?

A2 English level (pre-intermediate)

Submitted by Yuri Chida on Mon, 25/05/2020 - 08:01

I usually make plans with my friends by sending a message or making a phone call. Messages take a time to make plans than phone call. We need to wait for a reply. Therefore, I use phone call when I’m in a harry or want to make plans soon. On the other hand, message is recorded so we can see any message anytime we want. When we see it, we won’t misunderstand the time, place, and so on. I think that it is a good thing. Also, I use messages when I make plans with multiple. Because messages are easier to listen to everyone’s opinions at the same time. I use both of them depending on situations.

Submitted by mahiro on Mon, 25/05/2020 - 07:58

Hello. I meet up with my friend when I make a plan. So I can meet with my friend. There are a lot of other good ideas. First, it has to get a contact of frequency. You until meet up. This way are call you and use a line, write to you, it do it anyway! Second, it decide to all plan in last met. There are a lot of this way. Anyway you can find this way by your self.

Submitted by tomoka on Mon, 25/05/2020 - 07:26

When I want to make plans with my friends, firstly I ask them what they want to do and where they want to go by using application. Secondly I collect information with my friends, but sometimes some friends don't look it up and force me to do it. To be honest, I am tired such an situation, but It is fun for me because they are my friends. Last, I decide a convenient day for every one. These are my ways making plans with friends. Of course, it take for a long time to do. But I really like thinking about spending time with my friends.

Submitted by Sharif Tayyebi on Mon, 25/05/2020 - 00:50

I think it depends on our situation. I usually make plans with my friends by calling or messaging each other. But, I usually prefer watsup or telegram for messaging than the email. That is because that we usually check our watsup or other messangers sooner than emails. Indeed, if I am looking forward to make a plan to meet my students or colleagues about their/ our projects I usually plan or set by email. For the main reason, email is more formal than messangers, and also I prefer to avoid from making call or messaging with my students. Regards, Tayyebi

Submitted by hoshi on Sun, 24/05/2020 - 23:00

Hello. When I always make a plan with my friends,first I decide what I want to do or where I want to go.In the case of I don't have something I want to do or to go at that time,I don't make a plan. When I make a plan,I decide three things. First,who to go with.I think that it is most important point. Second,meeting time.but I often fails to come on time. Third,meeting place.but it is about the same place. and I always make a plan by LINE.It is so useful!

Submitted by MasoumehNejat on Sat, 23/05/2020 - 16:26

I Like to see in person and communicate better.

Submitted by mouna99 on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 12:36

I prefer calls and messages

Submitted by mm_xx1415 on Mon, 18/05/2020 - 22:58

My friends How are you? I'm writing about dating each others which's suitable to me on Friday at the time suited you guys. wish you all the best my dears Mohammed

Submitted by Jahon_9225 on Sat, 16/05/2020 - 09:20

I prefer to use telegram or telephone when I am chatting with my friends

Submitted by Muhammad Bagir on Fri, 15/05/2020 - 05:12

Mostly, we use whatsapp group to plan something.

Submitted by Lauracastanos on Sat, 09/05/2020 - 21:55

Hello I´m always use whatsapp.

Submitted by Kalai on Thu, 07/05/2020 - 12:16

I always use phone calls to make plans with my friends but I rarely use whatsapp because our excitement or feelings doesn't expressed in words

Submitted by Angelika Angie on Sun, 03/05/2020 - 14:33

Hi Everyone! Definitely I prefer to communicate through WhatsApp or messenger. I only use email at work to communicate with customers. I wish you all a nice day!

Submitted by mohabas on Wed, 29/04/2020 - 13:26

Hi Ramla I'm very glad to hear you are moving our district next month.

Submitted by evgeniygenchev on Thu, 23/04/2020 - 20:30

I prefer to use a viber or phone calls.

Submitted by Shadabali93 on Wed, 15/04/2020 - 12:59

I prefer to use whatsapp group of me with my friend

Submitted by carol alves on Tue, 14/04/2020 - 19:46

I prefer to use a whatsap or phone calls, is better, because it's more practical, fast and easly to use.

Hello Hashim Ali,

We don't recommend books on LearnEnglish as we try to stay neutral as regards publishers and authors. What I can say is that every publisher has many graded readers available to learners of English which allow you to choose material at a good level for you. This means a level which is challenging but not discouraging. If you visit the websites of major ELT (English language teaching) publishers then you'll see many books to choose from, in both paper and electronic formats.

Submitted by ademyonet on Sun, 12/04/2020 - 13:15

E-mail is a tool we use very little. Calling with the phone is a way we prefer mostly. E-mail isn't useful a method. Using the WhatsApp is easier. I prefer using message programmes to using e-mail. This is my opinion, too.

Submitted by V on Sat, 04/04/2020 - 01:57

It depends, it can be over the phone, or by a message on whatsApp or fb. I hardly use of email to make plans with my friends.

Submitted by jahidbd on Fri, 03/04/2020 - 20:35

I never plan with my friend by email.

Submitted by Daudau0601 on Fri, 03/04/2020 - 15:38

hello everyone, In these day, Vietnamese people stay at home, restricted to the road because of Covid 19. So i and my friend haven't not any plans but we are still chatting with each other by messenger, facebook.
Profile picture for user Sergei Baskakov

Submitted by Sergei Baskakov on Tue, 31/03/2020 - 16:07

I write to my friends on social networks. I don't call my friends as often as I want

Submitted by HBELL on Sun, 29/03/2020 - 22:26

Hello my friend , i m asking if you have a moment this weekend to meet you i m looking forward to hearing about your new job

Submitted by Nguyen Thao on Sun, 29/03/2020 - 07:02

Hi everyone, hope you're nice everyday. in theses day, I and my friends and many people stay at home because of Covid 19. I don't make plans with friends by email, we usually use Fackbook messenger, zalo messenger on mobikephone.

Submitted by Ángel M on Sat, 28/03/2020 - 21:06

In Mexico is more easy to communicating and planning by WhatsApp.

Submitted by cuneyt on Tue, 24/03/2020 - 11:20

Hi everbody, I am here again. I am always at home these days because of covid-19. I live in turkey. I speak my friends by whatsapp and video chat. I think,It is important for everyone. I just go out for shopping. I don't meet anyone without mywife an my son. You should be careful. I belive. We will won. The coronavirus is not bigger than our measure. Take care of yourself

Submitted by Laura1184 on Tue, 25/02/2020 - 09:31

In my country we don't get plans by e-mail, it takes too much time? more faster will be by wats up, this messenger very popular in my coutry. In our really life we don't have enugh time to meet with friends, it is so dificult... Especialy if you have children.

Submitted by Ana Cardoso on Fri, 24/01/2020 - 21:10

Usually, I make a plans with friends by whats app. I use on email other thinks.

Submitted by Dariusz on Wed, 22/01/2020 - 21:39

I don't make plans with my friends by email. We usually create our plans by phone using apps like messenger, We change messages, sometimes we are ringing.

Submitted by shahhoseini on Mon, 13/01/2020 - 14:12

No, I don't make plans with my friends by email. I usually phone calls with them.

Submitted by tvo69 on Fri, 10/01/2020 - 16:25

Yes, I often make plans with friends by email.

Submitted by mosab_fcb on Tue, 07/01/2020 - 13:20

I don't use email
Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Submitted by Magedelabd on Thu, 26/12/2019 - 12:11

I make plans with friends by what is up mobile application .

Submitted by Nilar Htun on Mon, 18/11/2019 - 08:52

Normally, I didn't use email to make the plans with my friend, just we use group messenger for sharing information and if we have changes plan, we use via phone.

Submitted by Manoji Jayatilleke on Wed, 13/11/2019 - 15:24

I don't use emails to chat with my friends. I use phone calls.

Submitted by Ruth on Mon, 11/11/2019 - 09:04

No, I don't make plans with my friends by email. I make them by What's App. I use email to make requests like when I write to my teachers.

Submitted by Yandri on Mon, 11/11/2019 - 05:29

Hello I have three chat groups in whatsapp, the first group is made up of all my family, the second is with my friends from the University with whom I play soccer every Thursday and the last group I talk about what we are going to do the weekend with my friends.

Submitted by Rodrigo Andres on Thu, 31/10/2019 - 23:55

with my friend don't make plans by email. we always make plans by whatsapp group.

Submitted by DominiqueCamila on Thu, 17/10/2019 - 21:47

Hi! Well, I have a chat group in wassap, there I talk with my friends and we do plans for going out at the weekends.

Submitted by Reon on Thu, 12/09/2019 - 08:35

First, I or my friends invite the opponent to do something through LINE or directory. And we make a schedule in convince time for all of us anind decide details of plan through LINE almost every time.
Profile picture for user Caterina Siligardi

Submitted by Caterina Siligardi on Sun, 08/09/2019 - 11:02

Usually, I make plans with my friends over the phone. Only once I made an Internet date with a nice chinese friend.But, insteadof asking her if there was anything she fancy eating, I cooked some popular dishes in my country. Then I discovered she was vegetarian!
Profile picture for user BRAHIM ABOULOUAFA

Submitted by BRAHIM ABOULOUAFA on Mon, 02/09/2019 - 13:54

When i want get a plan with my friends. I prefer to tel them by phone instead emails. Because is so easy by phone than by email.

Submitted by Fudhol on Fri, 30/08/2019 - 05:21

I rare in using email to make plans with a friend, I usually talk using phone or chatting-application.

Submitted by salehisalehi65 on Mon, 19/08/2019 - 17:43

in our country iran, as an underdeveloped country, almost people make a plan with each other by call or texting in new app same as whatsapp
Profile picture for user TP

Submitted by TP on Sun, 18/08/2019 - 04:21

I usually make plans with friends by messenger. Sometimes l phone them. However, making plans by email is quite rare unless it is a formal event.

Submitted by cittàutopica on Thu, 11/07/2019 - 17:48

In the past I used to make plans with my friends above all by call phones, but now I use whatsapp and, less frequently, email.
Profile picture for user mtalebi

Submitted by mtalebi on Sun, 02/06/2019 - 09:36

We usually make plans wit friends by phone call.