A business interview

Listen to the business interview to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Presenter: Welcome to today's show. We're very happy to have Anna Oliveira as our guest today. Anna is the creator and founder of HomeworX – spelled with an 'x' we should note – an app which helps teenagers with their homework. Thanks for coming in, Anna.

Anna: Thanks for having me.

Presenter: So, tell us about your app. How does it work?

Anna: Well, teenagers and their parents have numerous challenges when it comes to homework these days. In many families both parents work and don't have much available time to help their kids with their homework. And even if they do have time to help, they may not be able to offer support with the content. What I mean is, they may not know, or at least remember, enough in any given subject to support.

Presenter: You mean they might not be able to remember complex maths or might have never studied certain subjects, such as biology or economics, themselves?

Anna: Exactly. So they might want to support their children with their homework, but have neither the time nor the knowledge to do so.

Presenter: I see. So the app helps solve this problem?

Anna: Yes, and more. The next issue is that tutors can be expensive, and there may be long waiting lists for specialist tutors in the town or region you live in. Our HomeworX app brings students and tutors together online. Students can search a database of pre-approved tutors and sign up for live online support. They don't need to be in the same town or city.

Presenter: That sounds really great.

Anna: It is. And this approach also enables us to offer the tutoring services at lower prices because there's no travelling time involved for the tutor to get to the student's home. And tutors who live in remote areas are happy to get access to more students, and be able to work from home, even at lower rates.

Presenter: This all sounds great. So, how did you come up with the idea?

Anna: Well, as you might guess, I was one of those parents I described earlier. I really wanted to help my son with his homework, but I was either too busy with work or I didn't actually know anything about the subjects he was having difficulty with. Also, we live in an area where there aren't many tutors and the ones that are there are either very expensive or have long waiting lists.

Presenter: Yes. I can understand your predicament. Well, it sounds like a very useful app that is clearly meeting a need. And its popularity obviously speaks for itself.

Anna: Thank you.

Presenter: So, do you have plans for the future?

Anna: We've just secured some funding and hope to expand the range of services we offer using the app.

Presenter: We wish you the best of luck. Thanks again for coming in. That was Anna Oliveira, founder of the tutoring app HomeworX (with an 'x', don't forget!), which is available for both Apple and Android devices. Join us again next week for another business interview. Have a great week, everyone.

Submitted by iamloïs on Tue, 17/11/2020 - 08:48

My favourite app to learn new things is Quizlet. Indeed, this app permits us to memorise new things thanks to flashcards: on the one side, you put a french word for instance, and on the other one, behind, you put its translation to English. It is very practical because you can revise what you learnt everywhere and when you want, and for me, I do it in the subway !

Submitted by nialataria on Mon, 16/11/2020 - 08:59

Maybe some apps connected with learning English.

Submitted by javibuendi on Fri, 06/11/2020 - 10:02

I think this is not an app but a website, but still I choose LearnEnglish as the tool that is helping me to learn English the most. I find the Listening section very useful. Its listenings have an accuracy vocabulary and speech for each level, and especially the first task helps you to realise if you actually understood the listening. From here I want to thank all your magnificent work. Cheers from Madrid.

Hello Javi,

Thank very much for your feedback. It's always nice to know that our users find our website useful, and it's also very helpful to know what people like so that we can continuously improve.

Submitted by vsanchez75 on Sat, 24/10/2020 - 14:25

I used many apps to learn and practice English, some of them are british and others americans, Let me share some of them Duolingo All ears english Cake ABA BBC Learning english Sounter Rosetta Stone Quiz your English Maybe The problem is when you dominated the app, it could be boring

Submitted by Ugulhan on Tue, 20/10/2020 - 09:19

I would like to say as a learning app I have been using a wide range of Language platforms like the British council, Futurelearn, and Engvig. I think they have been offering numerous English lessons with tasks. You can come up with an idea of doing tasks on the platform, and solve your problem in English. Students can meet their needs there in the field of English. Platforms can speak for itself in each task, and you readjust the task. I think we should secure the lesson's own desktop of computers for accessing all of the time. Overall, these platforms will offer a range of services.

Submitted by Sulagna Das on Sun, 18/10/2020 - 17:55

The app I am using right now for learning English and improving grammar is British Council Grammar. This not only makes our grammatical skills strong but helps in improving the concept of sentence construction.

Submitted by habibao.medo on Sat, 17/10/2020 - 08:43

actually i don't have something like favorite app or any thing else i don't even have space on my phone :)

Submitted by VeraN on Mon, 12/10/2020 - 14:46

I do not have a particular app for English language although I read a lot of local and international newspapers. For sometime, I have been using the YouTube to learn from good English scholars. I won't forget to mention the use of this website "learn and watch series" which has indeed been helpful.

Submitted by l.jiang. on Sat, 10/10/2020 - 03:05

Recently, I usually use an app that called Duolingo, I think it is my favorite tool of study within five years. You can find each area about english to learn and same as exam, it also has limitation when you test. The Duolingo help me to improve my reading and listening and writing, I will use it for a long time.

Submitted by Lilly098 on Thu, 08/10/2020 - 05:14

My favourite app for leaning is Duolingo. Because it is easy task to do daily and very clear to see your progress. This is the best app for those who are looking for studying new languages in their own spare time. It is addictive in a good way. In fact, it has been 5 years since I started.

Submitted by Cami on Fri, 02/10/2020 - 11:57

My favourite app for learning is BBC Learning English. Trough it anyone can hear a lot of interesting contents improving his hearing's skill. I suggest anyone wants to improve his hearing's skill to use it. It is also free.

Submitted by danisep on Tue, 29/09/2020 - 19:11

I used to use apps to learn english, when I started I used duolingo but after a long period of time it becomes a lot repetitive and I tried to find something more difficult, and I found learnenglish website, this page is really good but is a little difficult to me study grammar here, I think that the best way to improve your grammar is doing a lot exercises and in the section grammar there is two or three tasks that is few to me, to study vocabulary I'm using anki, creating my own word cards.

Submitted by senes19 on Sun, 27/09/2020 - 18:33

Frankly I have to say I didn't use any app in my Englisch learning process. I use only British Council. I don't think these apps aren't useful for the learning but most of them enlarges your wort treasure und your listening skills. When I come up with speaking, best solution is to create a contact with people who are speaking English. It is best way to contact to join different organizations which are not bored. You should attend like these organizations that you will improve your speaking talents. If we return again apps, I believe their contribution of your language skills are quite limited.

Submitted by katyatorres on Tue, 22/09/2020 - 19:54

I have some resources that are my favorites. For instance I use an English app called Cake, It's a really good and useful app for learning new vocabulary. Also I use Coursera and ABA English which are perfect for improving your english skills, and learn something new about any topic.

Submitted by wirzan on Mon, 21/09/2020 - 07:17

for me, I usually use youtube for learning English specially listening section, watching movies, and practice by own self. and I think this app so supportable for who wanna learn English every where.

Submitted by Rafael Balderas on Wed, 16/09/2020 - 18:25

I dont know applications that teach English, I have only used duolingo, however, its an easy to understand.

Submitted by GillianSoMa on Mon, 14/09/2020 - 23:48

I used a lot of English apps to improve but my favorites were Cake and Duolingo.

Submitted by Mariana Pot on Mon, 14/09/2020 - 14:02

for English I don't have an app but if it is something related to medicine it would probably be lecturio

Submitted by Gabrieljimenez1 on Mon, 07/09/2020 - 07:58

Actually i don't use an app to practice english, the only thing that i do it's watch series in english and that's it.

Submitted by ajesusmc on Fri, 04/09/2020 - 21:57

Up to now, Duolingo has been my favourite app for languange learning. It's free and easy to use, although it's not practical to read it into the smartphone.

Submitted by Andrea Hernandez on Wed, 02/09/2020 - 12:04

My favourite app for learning is Coursera, which is very useful and has different types of courses. I like this app because I can find many interesting topics from important universities. The courses allow you to practice and join the forum for more information. Also, I've used Aba English app to learn English. In my opinion, this app is useful and different from other apps to learn languages because creating real situations and put you in different contexts. You can practice listening, pronunciation, and reading. However, this app can be very repetitive and be in a long time boring and also you can't practice speaking.

Submitted by Hennadii on Mon, 31/08/2020 - 14:17

Honestly speaking, I don't use any app for learning. I used to use some of them to learn English some years ago, mostly on my way home or to work, but now I don't them at all. They are quite helpful in certain cases when you don't have much time at home and can't spare any time at work but I think if we're discussing e-learning, it's much better to use your desktop or even a laptop. In this case, you can rely on a much bigger screen, faster internet, and better sound. As for me, I like to learn at home and use all actual devices to meet my goals. On the other hand, our smartphones are great helpers to those who like to learn outdoor or in transport. You can spend your boring commute time with a profit. Especially, if you practice your listening skill. Just use an app for listening to different topics, dialogs or so. Another good point - watching the serials on your target language to practice. I think it's much easier to learn anything nowadays. You can also use your phone as a dictionary instead of the paper ones. It's a huge help for everybody!

Submitted by Huynh Nguyen on Mon, 31/08/2020 - 05:49

My biggest problem in English is speaking. I believe there are so many apps for learning English these days. But my top favourite is ELSA SPEAK. 2 years ago, when I was in high school, I thought that my pronunciation was great until I got a job which is I had to communicate with a lot of foreigners. People rarely understand me. Then I realized my English was not good as much as I think. I considered pronunciation as a key to speak English with great fluency and confidence. So I found this wonderful app. I use this app as a means to improve my pronunciation and vocabulary. ELSA is just an AI machine, hearing me and point out whether I'm right or wrong. ELSA will nerver overlook your every singal mistake. Once ELSA understand me, I believe 90% people out there will understand me

Submitted by donlearn on Mon, 24/08/2020 - 19:29

I have used plenty of apps for learning. In today's world, we have a range of learning services offered by many apps, especially after the pandemic. Though online learning has been there for a while, it has attained the peak of its popularity in recent times. To name a few, Udemy, course era etc are the leading players in this sect.

Submitted by Jackson Nicola on Tue, 18/08/2020 - 19:41

My favorite app is Cake. I use to practice in English. It is successful app because it provide daily conversation with video and it is quite short and everyday it shows me a new video.

Submitted by abudo93 on Thu, 13/08/2020 - 18:26

My favorite app is Zamerican English due to make you enjoying with learning of English and it has more useful information.

Submitted by tlemos on Mon, 10/08/2020 - 12:43

I've used many apps since I started to studying English, but I think Anki and Duolingo were the most useful. However, only by using apps makes it too dificult, I think that other ways to improve English must be used. Sometimes, I say to myself: "Well, my English journey is far from over", because I know it's hard to reach this goal.

Submitted by macevedosalas on Sat, 25/07/2020 - 19:15

I've used some different apps and I've found good options for learning english, but it depends on what you want maybe listening, grammar or vocabulary, among the online alternatives, youtube is the best option as you can get a lot of examples and lessons to learn about teachers around the world, exactly you could compare their methodologies and you'll follow someone in their channels to grow the knowledge up. Also I've recently watched a video on phrasal verbs and I love it.

Submitted by Jeyk Gama on Thu, 23/07/2020 - 19:16

I have been trying numerous apps, one of my favorites is the British council and 6-minute English app by BBC, its easy to use and helps me to improve in learning English.
I didn´t know 6 minute English, I´ll try it. I am using Duolingo and British Council free also ABA English (My company pays for it).

Submitted by María Nieves on Wed, 22/07/2020 - 17:56

Well, i usually employ duolingo to improve my english. I know that is a very simple app and the sentences and grammar are quite easy, but i think it's better because i have a goal everyday and i have to strive to reach it

Submitted by Aljawhara on Thu, 16/07/2020 - 00:25

I sometimes listen to E podcasts. Recently I’m trying British council, hoping to get to the advance level.

Submitted by Sharon Torres on Fri, 10/07/2020 - 03:16

Actually i don´t have any particular app for learning english. I practice not only through different kind of apps such as this one but also watching movies in english or listening to music in english as well. Even though i don´t have a favorite app, BritishCouncil is one of the best websites i´ve practiced in.

Submitted by Simonida Vukobrat on Tue, 07/07/2020 - 01:17

I am exploring the British Council and I find it very interesting, so I hope to improve my English!

Submitted by Liz on Sat, 04/07/2020 - 14:09

My favorite app for learning is six minutes english our wordbite. I can listen an interview, then answer some questions. It's very helpful

Submitted by wahbi baklouti on Fri, 03/07/2020 - 20:32

my favorite website, not app is youtube I can find anything I want to learn for my study or my work. and also I can from it solves many problems I face it.

Submitted by Forgiven Angel on Fri, 03/07/2020 - 01:57

I recently started using some apps to learn English, but I found this British Council platform and it's great. I loved it!

Submitted by Hanan Ibrahim on Wed, 01/07/2020 - 23:25

I really do not have any particular app, I use many apps in my learning journey.

Submitted by Liosegura22 on Tue, 30/06/2020 - 03:31

Well, I don't have a favourite app. I really think that we can improve our skills and to increase our knowledge through many apps and websites like britishcouncil. Lately i've learned English through various tools: YouTube, Britishcouncil website, practicing with my friends... I hope be better in the future.

Submitted by BlaiChan on Sun, 21/06/2020 - 14:54

Personally, YouTube is my favorite app at the moment to improve my English skills. Also, I learn from Instagram especially for vocabulary, grammar tips, slang words, etc. For my opinion, social media apps are great to use for reminding of what we have recovered. That's all what I have been studying English with.

Submitted by Sergio F. on Sun, 21/06/2020 - 12:41

Good day everyone, I like to listen radios' app from USA. For me is very interesting because I can practise my listening an be update about the news. Thank you! Stay home! Stay safe!

Submitted by caroara on Fri, 19/06/2020 - 01:42

I like other ones use you tube for learn a lot of things I need, I can resolve problems also with the help of youtube.

Submitted by Adedeji Omowunmi on Mon, 15/06/2020 - 21:22

My best app for learning is you tube , this avail me convenience in term of time, dictate by my personal schedule. More also it gives both visual and audio sections which aid learning and understanding.

Submitted by Hai994 on Thu, 11/06/2020 - 01:51

Actually my favorite app right now is youtube, I use it to watch videos to improve my English especially in vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation. Also, I use twitter to be connected with the world.

Submitted by JCM26 on Tue, 09/06/2020 - 02:27

My favorite app for learning are Youtube and App, there, I can find videos on many topics: verbs, phrasal verbs, pronunciation,... but also films,...

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 15:08

My favourite app for learning is 'Opera Mini'. The reason for this, is due to its efficacy.

Submitted by mouna99 on Sat, 30/05/2020 - 11:17

My favourite apps for learning are: All the british council apps for learning English and youtube

Submitted by Wen_Koala on Tue, 26/05/2020 - 23:45

I use different apps to help me improve my vocabulary, grammar and writing skills. I have used Reverso, Grammarly, LDCE, even the Johnny G app. Each one offers distinctive characteristics which are useful for me, as I progress with my studies.