A team meeting about diversity

Listen to a team meeting about diversity to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Nina: As you know, our team has grown a lot in the past year and we feel we need to address the diversity in the team.

Brenda: How do you mean, 'address the diversity'?

Nina: Well, we all know that diversity in teams is a good thing, but it can also be a challenge for some people to respect and value people's differences. We've got a really diverse team here – people of different nationalities, backgrounds, religions, ages … and sometimes I don't feel we make the most of this.

Stefano: Yes, and even if it isn't specifically challenging, many people are simply unaware of the isolation that some team members may feel because they are different.

Brenda: So, what does this mean? What are we going to do?

Nina: Well, we need to create a workplace charter. You know, one that promotes equality, diversity and inclusion.

Brenda: That sounds like a good idea. But will people just see it as something the management team has created? Maybe they won't even pay attention to it.

Nina: I know. That's why we're going to involve everyone in creating it.

Stefano: That's a good idea. We could run some workshops and get ideas from the employees about how we can create a more inclusive workplace.

Nina: Exactly. I was thinking that before that we could run some team-building sessions so they can experience the value of diversity for themselves.

Brenda: Yes, I like that. Many people see diversity as something negative, often because there are different opinions or ways of doing things.

Nina: Yes, I know, but if there's no diversity, then the risk is that we all work in the same way, think the same and see the world the same. This makes it hard to be creative and to innovate.

Stefano: I completely agree, Nina. OK. So, what do you want us to do?

Nina: Stefano, can you look for a successful trainer who specialises in running workshops and team-building sessions on diversity and inclusion?

Stefano: Sure. I'll be happy to.

Nina: And Brenda, can you find a fun venue? Somewhere that is quite diverse itself. Something that's not the usual seminar-style environment?

Brenda: Sure. That'll be fun.

Nina: And I'm going to do some further research into how other organisations are benefiting from their diversity. I can share this with the whole team.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

B1 English level (intermediate)
Profile picture for user AlejoPB

Submitted by AlejoPB on Mon, 15/06/2020 - 18:10

Actually, my workplace is quite diverse, there are people of different social classes, ages even different sexual preferences, and our team is a great team, all tasks are easier and pleasant to do and we can discuss the many topics without no one kind of problems, as well as, we shared our different point of view freely.

Submitted by sorayajesus on Mon, 15/06/2020 - 10:05

My workplace is diverse. I have colleagues from different ages, religions, gender, race and political positions. I think that the diverse create more respect for different opinions and new ideas.

Submitted by Lizochka on Sat, 13/06/2020 - 19:39

My workplace right now is not diverse at all, because I work alone, but I think that diversity is one of the most important think that can good influence on teamwork on the whole! Diversity of races, ages, etc gives us opportunity to have a lot of new opinions, strateges, mindes based on diversity of background, life experience and etc.!

Submitted by Adri on Sat, 06/06/2020 - 15:27

I'm a student, but If I had one work place, I would like find a work that It's have respect and diversity values.

Submitted by Abuelisa on Thu, 04/06/2020 - 21:19

Fortunately my workplace is quite diverse, that is, we have colleagues from different ages, gender, religions and even political positions. From my point of view, diversity has been very beneficial to team work; this is meanly due to the exchange of ideas and acknowledges that we can do things in different ways.

Submitted by endre on Tue, 02/06/2020 - 23:17

I don't think diversity is a good thing. It exists, in fact. Identity, to find a common identity, that is our aim. That needs love. Love through offering.

Submitted by Sara85 on Tue, 02/06/2020 - 22:18

Diversity is very important any where , and let people share an ideas and cultures.

Submitted by Miho Watanabe on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 16:12

I’m a student, so I don’t work at workplace. But maybe, there are a lot of diversity in my college. My college has some overseas students studying in Japan and a lot of students from other prefectures. They have own opinion and culture etc. I think that such an environment broaden my mind.

Submitted by wido on Thu, 28/05/2020 - 23:22

Diversity is very important thing. I work in university we have many different nationalities we creat a good relationship and we know more things about there countries.

Submitted by senes19 on Thu, 28/05/2020 - 19:59

I think that diversity is not dangerous theme for workshops. It is important to include all our members to the process.

Submitted by mouna99 on Tue, 26/05/2020 - 13:59

Diversity helps in getting to know others cultures and interests, also its helps in learning from others and exchange knowledge

Submitted by Haider92R on Tue, 26/05/2020 - 11:11

Well .. for my concern the diversity is very important in the teamwork .. We can get a new ideas from different team members .

Submitted by vaniafed on Sun, 17/05/2020 - 13:45

Seems like diversity itself is a really big problem which needs to be solved. In my workspace there is no diversity, but If there was, I think the best way to solve it is to encourage best sides of our differences and tolerate the worse ones.

Submitted by Htet Min Khant… on Fri, 15/05/2020 - 13:50

Studying this lesson shows us how having diversity team is effective and profitable on our workplace.Individual ideas from diversity can create more innovations and the things that we share from our different experiences and backgrounds improve our skills properly.It also teaches the importance of listening others' visions.But,to avoid conflicts between staff,we all need to do diversity with the right way!!!!

Submitted by AMOUGOU Abega … on Sat, 09/05/2020 - 11:21

if truth be told, diversity can contribute in the well being of a team. because this create different viewpoints and different ways to resolve an issue. as far as I'm concerned my workplace has been blessed with peoples coming from different areas, having differents bakgrounds(specialities). and to make use of this our manager is having some workshops with us to ask about our needs, if everyone feel include and this participate in the more productivity of our team.

Submitted by FYfaby on Wed, 06/05/2020 - 16:05

Yes. The diversity is important in a team work. I think that all the opinion are important and I like different point of view.

Submitted by Masas on Sun, 03/05/2020 - 23:26

First thing: diversity is a good thing. Where I am working I don't feel any diverse ,for information, I 'm working away from my country ,we are working as team and respect all the values everyone for us ,if were about religions ,nationality,ages and backround .from my experience I guess that the diversity is very important for any workplace ,but we need to manage it in the right way .

Submitted by Tomofumi on Fri, 01/05/2020 - 01:36

Now is in the age which we cannot estimate what will happen in the future. That's why, we need to get the skill to cooperate with other people. Then, to respect the way of thinking, and life each other is required. Even in my workplace, there are a lot of ways of thinking, but Japanese people often hide their ideas to avoid competition. We should be talkative and positive!

Submitted by Dima Hraf on Thu, 30/04/2020 - 01:49

How diverse is your workplace? How can diversity benefit your team? When people ask me about complexity of my working place I always try to share with them my experience. Generally speaking, my work has dynamic process because it is trade. I have a lot of colleagues with different characters and positions and only because we treat our work and each other with respect it brings for us beneficial and effective results. I totally sure that diversity is an amazing advantage for a working process and for a team as well because atmosphere of diversity can help to develop and create new ideas for work.

Submitted by Merymoon86 on Wed, 29/04/2020 - 19:43

In my Opinion the diversity is really important so that you can get a lot of ideas that improve whatever place of work, for instance in my work I keep in touch with diferent countries people, so you can learn a lot things only their cultures but also their point of view.

Submitted by Naw Ring on Wed, 29/04/2020 - 05:16

That songs great. We could learn new experience if we are going through in the diversity community.

Submitted by Aye Nyine San on Wed, 29/04/2020 - 04:54

yes, diversity in teams is a starter to grow up diversity culture in country .Each value and respect different ideas , things and people. And sharing those thing,understanding of getting equality will move to well developed civilization.

Submitted by Anderson on Sat, 25/04/2020 - 16:26

When I begun my course at Federal University of Santa Maria, Brazil, I didn't like before of work with other people. The main reason of this is because always exist some people that don't do them work of the best ways and hence the responsabulity of the bed work is put on the hands of someone else. For example, you are working with people that frequentily make a bed work and you must have been correcting their work when they have wrong, but the problem here is how often they make a mistake. Sometimes one activity is put on the hands of someone else, when it's supposed that the activity is their responsability, not yours. However, at my 2nd semestrer at university, I joined in a group of people that have so different ways to see differente situations about something and I can see, today, that I learnt a lot with these people, which is amazing. The conclusion of this long coment is that: sometimes we are thinking that work with people is really bed, but we can have a lot of experience work with other people, learn how look at something of a differente way, for example.

Submitted by Hnin Ohnmar Htoo on Thu, 23/04/2020 - 09:01

there are so many diversity at my work also. I agree that different diversities get different ideas and experience and creative things.We also imitate who working skills, thinking skills and management skills as well.We can share our experience and culture also . Finally,i would like to advice you that different diversity is good one to improve your business.
Profile picture for user JuanManuelLopezGil

Submitted by JuanManuelLopezGil on Tue, 21/04/2020 - 00:28

In my office, there are many people from different origins, cultural groups and kinds of think. This is good because each insight might look since various points of view.

Submitted by SANDRA YINNET on Mon, 20/04/2020 - 02:59

When we talk of the diversity in team work I think that is important because from point of view business is necessary have people aligned for achieve of goal, and for this the ideas and opinions of the all can be complementary.

Submitted by laiakiesel on Fri, 17/04/2020 - 18:22

In my opinion it's very important to have diversity in all the type of groups because it will help you to have new ideas, new ways to think, learn about other countries, cultures or religions. No matter which are your thoughts or your way of life, you have to respect others thoughts and ways of life. I believe that the best way to do it it's sharing time with many different types of persons and learning how to work with them.

Submitted by Ahmed shady on Wed, 15/04/2020 - 19:37

Diversity is the role of the life , we should learn from different culture different prospective which may lead to more success in the organization ..

Submitted by BlaiChan on Wed, 08/04/2020 - 10:02

I had a diverse workplace when I worked on ship. We got people from different countries like Russia, Ukraine, China, Philippine and so on. We had different ideas and ways in solving problems. It was fun. But not every times, we had a problem such a pronunciation when we talking. We used to talk about our traditions, ways of living and so on.

Submitted by Dario Cambon on Tue, 07/04/2020 - 08:52

The harmony in the work group can be created by making the most of each person's skills and therefore the differences of thought and opinions, which must be verified and accepted from time to time, if they contribute to solving problems and achieving objectives
Profile picture for user JuanManuelLopezGil

Submitted by JuanManuelLopezGil on Mon, 06/04/2020 - 22:38

Diversity = New ideas!

Submitted by Cotufa84 on Fri, 03/04/2020 - 17:36

In these days, we are connected with a lot of people from different areas of the world. You can know people from other countries even other areas of your birth country. Is important that we are aware about it. No matter how are your thought or your way of life, you have to respect others thought and ways of life. We have got a diverse team. We are from different countries and different kind of people. There are males, females, old and young people. It's funny in christmas when we share our traditions.
Profile picture for user Kadir

Submitted by Kadir on Wed, 01/04/2020 - 20:51

The Importence Of Diversity Racism has been the reason for a lot of wars and conflicts in the world for years. During these wars, people killed others who had different colours, ideas, and religions. Why? Why couldn't we learn how to live together? I don’t understand why we don’t accept that people have different colours, religions and ideas . But nowadays a lot of companies in the world have many staff are from different countries, religions, ideas etc. These companies try to prevent conflicts among their own staff by arranging seminars, common holidays and cocktails. Diversity of religions, colours and ideas are not important as much as old times for modern day people. That’s a good development. I think that making common activities like that help to improve friendship and solidarity among staff.

Submitted by Wesley54 on Mon, 30/03/2020 - 21:36

I had a diverse workplace when I attended to the internship period. There were people with different beliefs, ideas and perspectives. Fortunately, we had weekly meetings so as to define the activities and new solutions to problems, according to each category and the people's role. The diversity helped our team by doing some researches, plans and reports more effectively and quickly, since it increased new ways of doing them.
Profile picture for user Kadir

Submitted by Kadir on Sun, 29/03/2020 - 19:34

In my country there is a very diverse population. We've all lived together in peace for years . We can share our pain, happiness and hopes. I think if people respected other people's differences, the Earth could be like a palace. Nowadays we fight as one world against the COVID-19 and I believe that we have to know that our differences are not more important than life. We have only one world and we have tou share it.

Submitted by Rania Koura on Thu, 26/03/2020 - 15:59

In my organization, we have a big diverse team; everyone has his own beliefs and background and we all respect each other.
In this case you should clearly find out the positive results out it. Specially innovation and creativity, is it so?

Submitted by micaela on Sun, 22/03/2020 - 23:33

My workplace is diverse in the way we have differences about our beliefs, religions, behaviours and ages. We believe that diversity benefit us when we need to find solutions for our clients, ¡that is really good!

Submitted by jason2295 on Wed, 18/03/2020 - 21:38

How diverse is your workplace? How can diversity benefit your tea My workplace is not so diversity but we have some paople that they think in a different way, about how to do its work well done. We can take advance of this because they can bring good ideas to solve problem happens in the company.

Submitted by IMS on Mon, 16/03/2020 - 08:45

I'm sure that diversity is most important for making innovations and realize them. Cause different people have a different ways to solve the problems. So human resources have to create new ideas and organize team-building sessions for consolidate diferent peoples.

Submitted by Kateryna on Mon, 02/03/2020 - 19:09

As far as I concerned, that diversity that's a thing that makes the team really productive and competitive. I've been working in a big international company and I know a lot about the value of diversity team with members from the whole world. If we will be politeness and try to understand other colleagues with different from your point of view - we can be great team-players. So, I believe that only a team with a wide circle of different views among ourselves can create some really unique and outstanding.
Profile picture for user Nikolaos Stavrianakis

Submitted by Nikolaos Stavr… on Fri, 28/02/2020 - 09:06

We've got a really diverse team. We have people of different nationalities, religions male and female, young and old. Diversity is a significant factor in keeping workers happy and retaining them. Businesses that emphasize diversity as part of their companies policy are actually more profitable. Employees ultimately feel more comfortable at work despite their difference, noting that a commitment to their culture is a commitment to them. Teams that are able to talk out their differences and discuss cultures ultimately grow closer. Accepting diversity makes a teem creative and innovative. It also makes the team more akin to family and community, versus somewhere to pick up a paycheck. PS: In my text above I wrote a sentence " Employees ultimately feel..... Is this sentence correct? or should I write "Ultimately employees feel.... Thank you Nikolaos

Hello Nikolaos

Both word orders are fine, though I think putting 'ultimately' first is a little more natural. If you put 'ultimately' first, there should be a comma after it: 'Ultimately, employees feel ...'

All the best

Submitted by jazmin marquez on Tue, 25/02/2020 - 12:00

Well, I am a teacher and I believe that diversity is necessary to promote a human education. Our society needs more people aware of the value of different cultures, traditions and beliefs, because these can help improve things. For example, in my country, Colombia, indigenous communities have a respectful relationship with the land and the environment. They believe that natural resources, such as water, are gods, and should take care of them. However, indigenous people are often victims of displacement and murder because of their beliefs. This is a shameful and unfortunate situation, and teachers have many things to do about it.

Submitted by mselmi on Wed, 19/02/2020 - 20:05

Diversity in workplace can have postive impact on business if it's well adressed by managers. The difference in culture, in habits, religion, accent and in mother langage doesn't have relationship with work performance. So rules must be written by managers based on egality, integrity and respect. This is a requirement to build a work environment where every employee can make the maximum effort and bring added values to acheive his objectives and contribute to acheive the global employer's business objectives. This also gives the employees the same opportunities to evolve and be satisfied.

Submitted by shahhoseini on Wed, 12/02/2020 - 15:28

Although there are many cultures and religions in my country, the problem of diversity has not caused much trouble.

Submitted by huyentran on Tue, 04/02/2020 - 03:34

My class is very diverse with many students from different countries. We can learn about each other's culture, language and good habits. In addition, we can explore many traditions from many countries.

Submitted by JuanVillegas on Sat, 25/01/2020 - 14:13

My workplace is very diverse, we are several people with different professions, in different areas, this is the great benefit, it allows us to have different solutions to the same problem.