A phone call from a customer

Listen to the phone call from a customer to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Junko: Hello, Junko Mori speaking. How can I help you?

Andrea: Hi, Junko, it's Andrea here from Red Band. I'm calling about our latest order.

Junko: Everything arrived OK, right? We got the delivery confirmation at our end.

Andrea: Yes, everything's fine with the order. I'm calling about the invoice and the payment terms. I need a favour.

Junko: A favour? What do you need?

Andrea: This is a little, er ... difficult, but I need an extension on the payment terms. I know they're usually 30 days, but we're having some cash flow problems. You'd really be helping us out if you could extend it to 60 days.

Junko: I'm not sure if I can do that, Andrea. We've got regulations at our end, and also have to manage our own cash flow.

Andrea: I promise this won't become the norm, Junko. Actually, I also want to place another new order. The same size order as last time. It's for an important customer and they pay on delivery.

Junko: I see. So your cash flow problem will be solved after this new order is delivered.

Andrea: Exactly.

Junko: That sounds good. Hold on, Andrea. Let me see what I can do. Yes, I think we can make an exception this time.

Andrea: That's great, Junko. I appreciate your help.

Junko: And we appreciate your business, Andrea. It works both ways.

Andrea: Thanks again, Junko. Can you send me a quick email confirmation of the payment terms extension?

Junko: Sure, no problem. We're happy to help you.

Andrea: Great. And I'll email you the new order.

Junko: Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it. Talk to you soon.

Andrea: You too. Goodbye.

Submitted by David_Tham on Thu, 26/11/2020 - 15:25

Yes, I ever do some special payment term for special client.

Submitted by DJ Singh on Wed, 25/11/2020 - 07:42

I am far from business terms and tactics but sometimes I made exceptions in my daily life which is not my cup of tea but I challenge myself to do the things I have never done or difficult to do.

Submitted by Helena Clever on Sun, 22/11/2020 - 16:51

I'm totally an art person who doesn't understant what economy and business are. But, however, I know what the difference betweer customer and supplier after the lesson!

Submitted by foch04 on Thu, 12/11/2020 - 14:18

I have never been a business man and never had a deep commercial relationship with somebody or organisation. In the case that has been given things would depend on how high the confidence is which we carry out to our counterpart.

Submitted by Jorge Fabricio on Sat, 07/11/2020 - 16:08

Important excercises to know, How can to help a customer.

Submitted by masia on Fri, 06/11/2020 - 21:28

I think give a favour an important client it will be a good idea, because that is useful for both company.

Submitted by John A. on Tue, 27/10/2020 - 09:34

It's always good to build a relationship of trust with customers

Submitted by marian96 on Fri, 23/10/2020 - 22:13

Submitted by Karim.Karim on Wed, 21/10/2020 - 16:55

Yes, I've been worked for an employment agency. There was some payment late by our clients in another countries so we have been making exceptions.

Submitted by Elbay on Wed, 21/10/2020 - 08:12

I am currently working as Accountant and I wanna say that favours are good for both sides,but if you overdo it for your customers it does not matter they are loyal customers or new customers you will get problems in the future with management.Because it is a waste of time for company to "play" with cash flows of the company for customers frequently.If you wanna establish powerful company you need to keep down amount of recevibales from your customers.

Submitted by AprilApple on Mon, 19/10/2020 - 16:27

As a student, I haven't had any business of my own nor have worked in a company but, I have had some experiences in purchasing chemicals, equipment and consumables for the laboratory and for my studies. Based on my experiences of purchasing and payment, some companies do extend the payment based on regularity of purchasing, prices of items or quantities of items purchase. I think is important to give some exceptions provided the customer is a regular customers and honest, so that customers will be happy and will come back to contribute to the business again next time.

Submitted by cesartorresh16 on Sun, 18/10/2020 - 23:11

Yes but I think it would not depend on me, if not on my boss. First, I would ask if we can do a favor to a client, and giving her answer would be done.

Submitted by Leo Mandujano on Sun, 18/10/2020 - 03:50

I would do the same, because it´s important to give a back up to the clients, but it depends on the benefits the organization has, because in this case both parts were benefited, but there must be situations where it could be risky so you can´t do the same.

Submitted by Fernando Pardo… on Sat, 17/10/2020 - 00:46

I don´t know if it´s a favour but when I used to work in a family bussines, a client forgot his cellphone, I noticed about that so I took it, I wait a call asking for it and finaly I received the call and I told her that her cellphone was in the bussines so she can pass and pick her phone up.

Submitted by vsanchez75 on Fri, 16/10/2020 - 13:23

Yes, when you see the historical of your clients maybe you can make some exceptions It allows to grow up the trust each other.

Submitted by tittoo11 on Fri, 16/10/2020 - 09:00

I learned new meanings of some vocabulary such like cash flow, extension. It was useful lesson.

Submitted by Francisco Malagón on Wed, 14/10/2020 - 03:56

Never to new customers Maybe for old customers, with all conditions and payments plans

Submitted by Deisi cruz on Tue, 13/10/2020 - 23:05

If they are reliable customers to whom I have already done that kind of favor there would be no problem because I would already know them, but if they are new customers there would have to be some way for me as a company not to lose and to ensure their payment.

Submitted by juan felip on Tue, 13/10/2020 - 01:20

It seems very important to me to be a simple and cordial person capable of understanding the needs of others, taking as a position and condition that of the client as long as this favor is completely necessary and that it does not risk the integrity of him or me.

Submitted by nialataria on Sat, 10/10/2020 - 10:37

There are exceptions to every rule )) She has good problem solving skills. I learned new words such as favour, extension and cash-flow.

Submitted by mcambindo22 on Thu, 08/10/2020 - 23:18

Yes, it is important to back clients up, but depends on the trade-off and if the benefit that I receive from my client is better than my opportuny cost. According to the audio the first order was enormous and the second was the same, and both orders represented a bigger benfit.

Submitted by narcisa on Tue, 06/10/2020 - 21:29

If we can we always make an exception for same trusting clients.We are appreciating there effort to call us and make an agreement.

Submitted by ssyeem2012 on Mon, 05/10/2020 - 21:05

yes i did so many times .cause if you need to maintain a good relationship with your client sometimes you must need to make some exception & do some favour for them.

Submitted by angelcherrylina on Fri, 02/10/2020 - 10:46

I can't ask this question, because I am only a student, but I suppose that in the future I will make exceptions and do favours, because a real life is unpredictable, so all people periodically meet difficultes. I think it is very important not to be indifferent and to help out people if it is neccessary. But you should be careful and accurate, because there are some people who can deceive you, so you should exactly know you can trust a customer.

Submitted by KainattAli on Thu, 24/09/2020 - 07:13

Yes I will favor important customers.

Submitted by alimelic on Tue, 22/09/2020 - 09:09

I do it if I work with good customer.

Submitted by cittàutopica on Mon, 21/09/2020 - 17:22

I can't answer this question, because I don't work in the sale's sector, but I think doing favours or making exceptions for important clients are an understandable conduct by the companies.

Submitted by ErnestoV on Sat, 19/09/2020 - 05:16

I think it deppends of my boss. I would ask first him to know if we can do a favour.

Submitted by Maha Eltayeb on Fri, 18/09/2020 - 12:44

Yes i can do it if it's passible

Submitted by Josapc3 on Fri, 18/09/2020 - 02:10

Well,I think it's possible make some exceptions with a customer but firts, you have to see what kind of customer is it. For example: if is a regular customer with a good payment record, you can make an exception even you can offer extra credits or discounts to fidelized with your services.

Submitted by Malopez on Tue, 08/09/2020 - 23:54

Most of the time I prefer to receive the payment in the time that was agreed, but in some occasions I have made some exceptions. This is something that is really appreciated by the customer. In my company we have strict payment terms because the monthly operation depends of the punctuality in payment invoices.

Submitted by katyatorres on Wed, 02/09/2020 - 02:13

I think that I can do a favour or make an exceptions when the terms do not affect me or the company.

Submitted by ArtemenkoArtem on Mon, 31/08/2020 - 21:14

These tasks are interesting. For your record, I remember making different orders on shopping websites and checking, I am talking about phone calls with deliverers. After they see placed order, they call you and ask details. You are able to choose any payment terms of delivery, that suit you, are more convenient as I would say. The most amazing part is when delivery confirmation is sent to your e-mail. I am a shopaholic. Last time I had made the order and shop employees did me the favour: I got the discount for english courses. Such a generous acts attract new customers, especially when you don't put up with cash flow problems and don't have tight budget. But big companies just provide you discounts and avoid making exceptions or helping you out unless you work or own shares there.

Submitted by pilargarciach on Sun, 30/08/2020 - 10:03

Sure. I do ever did. I had a good customer and I allowed her to paid me a dozen bags in two pay

Submitted by Moses Habarugira on Fri, 28/08/2020 - 08:22

Thanks alot for creating this wonderful and skilful website. It's my pleasure

Submitted by Rinaa on Fri, 21/08/2020 - 20:24

I'm working as accountant, and my clients need to provide me their invoice and other financial data, so I would prepare their financial statements on time. But sometimes I make an exception for loyal clients. I give them an opportunity to bring them later if they aren’t ready. Even that I have my own regulation, sometimes I become flexible about deadlines. A small deviation from norms sometimes is needed if you want to collect more clients and to keep the older.

Submitted by davicovalencia79 on Fri, 21/08/2020 - 13:54

I haven't made exceptions just for important clients, sometimes it depends for the situation, in fact, if some client needs an exception and it's a good client, I can help it.

Submitted by walaazahran24 on Tue, 18/08/2020 - 13:38

Done , Yes , i made an exception before to gain customers

Submitted by Ugulhan on Thu, 13/08/2020 - 12:47

I hope if we work in a delivery company such as Upsala when the customers would call with their problems, then we should do favors for them because we don't like to lose our clients in the company.

Submitted by DEYA0510 on Mon, 10/08/2020 - 21:27

I had made exeception with the terms of payment of my clientes. If they are good customers we can be flexible.

Submitted by Eden alemayehu on Sun, 09/08/2020 - 10:45

I think it’s good to be flexible in business and that’s what I learned from the conversation.by communicating they create win win situation for both of them

Submitted by IKEDA on Sun, 09/08/2020 - 05:43

Actually, I have few chances to ask clients some favors, on the other hand, I try to be flexible to our clients' requests.

Submitted by aniley on Fri, 07/08/2020 - 12:06

I think only this execption is had with loyal and importan clients . The company should have segurity that they won´t have problems in the future

Submitted by Asni on Mon, 03/08/2020 - 22:55

I think making exceptions for important customers is something usual in the companies even if the company has its own regulations, sometimes they'd have to be flexible about the terms to maintain good business relationships.

Submitted by tolunaykan on Mon, 03/08/2020 - 20:22

If I were a supplier, I usually do a favor for my clients to keep them with me. Because for longer relationship between customer and supplier, I think there must be such a pleasant favors.
I think this is the best idea, good to win customer’s with a nice approach. And I usually preferred such kind of suppliers To buy anything I want . They got a good heart

Submitted by AmoOn on Sun, 02/08/2020 - 16:13

I work as a call center of Corona virus I make exceptions for people who have physiological problem a bout having this disease