A weather forecast

Listen to a weather forecast and answer the questions to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Hello and good morning! Well, we're off to a good start in the south this week, as most of the rain from the weekend has disappeared – just a few patches of cloud and maybe some showers here on the east coast. They'll all clear up by lunchtime, though. Over the next day or so, London and the area around Kent can expect a couple of isolated showers, but mostly dry through until Thursday.

It's not such good news for the north-west this week, I'm afraid: more wet weather, and not a lot of sunshine. Some of today's showers will be heavy – and even thundery in Manchester and across the Pennines. Leeds will escape the thunderstorms, with drizzle and light rain only throughout the rest of the day and tonight.

Elsewhere it becomes dry today, but with some foggy patches towards Wales. In England, tomorrow morning will see a dry, bright start in most places, with high temperatures throughout the week. We might see one or two thunderstorms appearing as the week goes on, with temperatures everywhere at 29 to 30 degrees.

By the weekend, unfortunately, the dry weather will make way for mostly cloudy skies and rain. The rain will move from Scotland, down towards the north and reach the south coast by Saturday afternoon. Temperatures, at least, will stay mostly warm at around 21 degrees for the weekend. It might feel like a nice change from the high twenties and early thirties we'll see in the week. That's all from me until tomorrow. Enjoy the mini-heatwave while you can!

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

B1 English level (intermediate)

Submitted by Ivan Barišić on Mon, 23/03/2020 - 10:55

I like dry weather but I do not like when it is heatwave or hotter than normal. Also, sometimes I like when it is snowing, but I never wish that it is rainy. Generally, I like sunny weather with light wind.

Submitted by vihertri on Fri, 20/03/2020 - 12:29

I like sunny weather,but not too hot. In my Country has a good weather and a lot of hours of sun but I prefer the cold, it is better if you work outside.

Submitted by nao on Tue, 17/03/2020 - 10:51

I like the spring is my favorite season because is not too hot or too cold.

Submitted by nochi1421 on Sat, 14/03/2020 - 17:25

My favorite weather is the weather of my city Puyo, from the ecuadorian Amazon. In the same day, you can have a lot of sun for a while and then a strong rain. But never the temperatures fall down until the people freeze or rise until the people feels that are living in the hell. We have all in the same day. It's fantastic !!!

Submitted by LucaCoglia on Fri, 06/03/2020 - 16:16

I like Sunny weather but I really like snowy weather
Profile picture for user Nikolaos Stavrianakis

Submitted by Nikolaos Stavr… on Wed, 04/03/2020 - 16:42

Hello everyone!! I would say that hot and dry weather is what I really like.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Tue, 03/03/2020 - 10:21

I like crisp weather. It's nice to walk around the nature, breatheing in the crisp autumn weather!

Submitted by vilma caram on Mon, 02/03/2020 - 20:16

Hello, I like sunny weather. Sometimes cloudy days and one a month a litle of rain. A bit of each

Submitted by Ayzhan on Tue, 25/02/2020 - 06:30

I like a sunny weather, but when not too hot. Like the weather in the end of the april and beginning the may.

Submitted by mselmi on Thu, 20/02/2020 - 07:27

I hate high and low temperatures. I like weather when temperature is around the early twenties. I don't like windy days. I like watching light rain or snow from the window. This gives me a good feelings.

Submitted by shahhoseini on Sat, 15/02/2020 - 14:30

I hate hot sunshine in summer while cloudy weather with a little drizzle is my favourite and ideal for me.

Submitted by huyentran on Tue, 11/02/2020 - 01:54

My favorite weather is cool weather with a little sunshine. This weather always makes me feel comfortable and relaxed. You know, because it's not too hot and too cold, so it's good for our health. In my country, the weather often appears in the afternoon, so I often go for a walk and enjoy the fresh and cool air, and whenever I go for a walk I feel more relaxed, my health seems to be more refreshed.

Submitted by conejo on Sun, 09/02/2020 - 03:45

My favourite weather is dry, bright and sunny. I like the sea, and I prefer live in warm cities. I hate weather in my country, because it is unpredictable.

Submitted by lifelearner on Wed, 05/02/2020 - 16:02

Well as an introvert and a person who is attracted towards loneliness, I love wet weather and winter as people tends to stay home and streets get less crowded. Snow really attracts me , as I have used to make a snowman since my childhood and I still do it until now . in the rainy weather I love to have some warm drinks like a cup of tea or hot chocolate.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Sat, 25/01/2020 - 12:18

To be honest, I'm not good at low pressure. ˘˘̥( ᵒ̴̶̷̥́ _ᵒ̴̶̷̣̥̀ )
Profile picture for user mehrazin

Submitted by mehrazin on Fri, 24/01/2020 - 06:21

I enjoy the rainy weather and drizzles. i like a really nice weather and cool breeze and I experience the favorite weather when the spring starts as it coincides with our new year (norooz). i like to see the nature changes and the revival of the nature reminds us the life is in the progress and we should enjoy the moments . i always travel in spring and i prefer to arrange a travelling plan in spring as the sunny weather is pleasant and really makes me more energetic.

Submitted by Hubert Sandoval on Fri, 17/01/2020 - 19:00

My first comment in British Council, here in my city the weather is most of time hot. When the winter comes then is the rain that appears, not the Snow. The landscapes are so beautiful here too.

Submitted by I P on Fri, 03/01/2020 - 19:57

My favourite part of the year is summer, so from that I like hot and sunny weather all the time. Unfortunately, in my city, (a few years ago) summer was rainy and cloudly most of the time, so I escaped on the south of the country, there you could see rain and heatwaves at the same time, but rain soon wear off and the sun comes again!

Submitted by Tossa on Sun, 15/12/2019 - 21:44

I have a problem British English, I can not hear the recordings. I dont´t know why it happens. Help me.

Hello Tossa

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble hearing the audio. I would suggest you try using a different web browser (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Edge) and/or using a different device (e.g. a different phone, or a computer instead of a phone, etc.). The audio is working for me.

If you still can't get it to work, please tell us what kind of device you are using, what operating system it has, and what browser and browser version you are using.

All the best

Submitted by taghi on Tue, 10/12/2019 - 06:58

sunny sky with cool weather is the weather that i like the best because i gives me feel good.for example, i like the first month of spring because you can breathe in a cool and fresh air.

Submitted by César Árraga on Thu, 17/10/2019 - 00:16

I'd like to know what the difference between 'weather' and 'climate' is, or they are the same.

Hello César

When we speak about the weather, we're talking about a shorter time frame -- a day, a week, even a year -- and when we talk about the climate, we're talking about a longer time frame. I'm not sure if there's a specific line, but I imagine climate is thought of at the very least in decades, if not longer periods of time.

You might find this NASA page useful.

All the best

Good day Cesar, 'weather' refers to the prevailing weather conditions on a short period of time from one day to about a month, and for climate from two months upwards.
Profile picture for user Caterina Siligardi

Submitted by Caterina Siligardi on Sun, 13/10/2019 - 17:11

I like hot weather. Summer is my favourite season. I don't fear warm. It fills me with energy!

Submitted by phongcienco1 on Thu, 26/09/2019 - 11:49

Thanks for your lesson. I like the spring that helps trees bud and sprout. By the way, I think the original sentence "Leeds will escape the thunderstorms, with drizzle and light rain..." should change into the followings "Leeds will escape the thunderstorms, except drizzle and light rain...". Because the original one makes me understand that Leeds will escape all the thunderstorms, drizzle and light rain. Am i right or not?

Hello phongscienco1,

The sentence is correct. We often use 'with' in this way. Here are a few examples:

Paul will not be promoted, with John getting the job instead.

You won't be very busy today, with only a few meetings in the afternoon.

Thank you phongscienco1and Peter, I'm just wondering... what's the role of the 'with' in the sentence ? For example, Paul will not be promoted, because/ as (with?) You won't be very busy today, since you've got (with?) only a few...

Hello Rafaela1

In the sentence phongscienco1 asks about in the weather forecast, 'with' means something like 'having'; the idea is that, unlike the rest of the areas mentioned, Leeds will have light rain but not thunderstorms.

'with' (see the sixth meaning, 'cause') can also be used to talk about causes, but the sentences you mention don't sound right to me. If you've seen it used this way, could you please include the whole sentence in its context?

All the best

Submitted by farah adila on Sat, 21/09/2019 - 06:39

I have completed the following lesson of a student Discussion, A weather Forecast. The level that i chose was intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by Muhamad Aqmal … on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 08:14

I have completed the following lessons of A Weather Forecast.The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 listening

Submitted by KhaleefRosely on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 09:22

" I have completed the following lessons of A weather forecast . The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by Haiza Supian on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 09:08

I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion, A weather Forecast, and Making a Decision. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by nurain khalisah on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:24

i have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion,A weather Forecast,and Making a Decision.The level that I choose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by hsyazhyra on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:14

I have completed the following lessons of A Student Discussion,A Weather Forecast and Meeting Old Friend.The level that I chose was Intermediate B1Listening.

Submitted by Siti Alawiah on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:03

I have completed the lesson of A Weather of Forecast. The level that I chose was intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by hafiyaqil on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 07:34

i have commpleted the lesson of A Weather Forecast the level i choose was B1 Intermediate Listening

Submitted by Catalina Pazmiño on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 03:40

I was born in a country which has two seasons; Winter and summer. In winter it is hot and it rains a lot, but in summer it is cold even when the sun is shining. I really enjoy both season.
Profile picture for user kamicounciler

Submitted by kamicounciler on Mon, 02/09/2019 - 21:32

i think a sunny sky with a cool weather would be the best for me.something like the last days of winter and the first month of spring.also i love snowy weather.
Profile picture for user miss.napoleon

Submitted by miss.napoleon on Sun, 01/09/2019 - 11:30

i love winter because it's the last time i could see my close friend. it make me remember her.

Submitted by popo1011 on Sun, 18/08/2019 - 07:53

The cool and breezy weather is best for me, in 15-20 degrees, learning speed, exercise and other activities are very good. I am full of energy. I enjoy such weather.

Submitted by starfish2019 on Fri, 09/08/2019 - 22:24

What kind of weather do you like best? I like the autumn, because it has very nice cool breeze that you can feel for soothing pleasure. Also autumn leaves are very beautiful, which you can feel pleasant and romantic. That sounds me like a poetry and romantic guy ;)

Submitted by pam89 on Fri, 09/08/2019 - 09:37

For me the best wether is when it's not so hot, because it's seem I can't breathe. I prefer when it's between 20 and 28 degrees and it's sunny so I can go to the beach, for instance.

Submitted by mustaphasadiki on Wed, 07/08/2019 - 02:51

i enjoy sunny days because with medium temperature
Profile picture for user Mercedes Quicano

Submitted by Mercedes Quicano on Sat, 03/08/2019 - 18:18

Colombia has not seasons, because it is located in ecuadorian line. We have rain, drizzles, hot and fresh weather. The tempetures could be from 15 grades until 32 grades depending the region. Nowadays the climate change has affected it very much and heatwaves are frequently. The weather I like the best in my country is hot in the day and rainy at night.

Submitted by Mamai on Tue, 30/07/2019 - 12:48

In africa we have most of time in the year a heatwave. 21 degrees is so cold for us. So we feel more confutable with 30 degrees.

Submitted by Smartsosty on Fri, 19/07/2019 - 21:20

I prefer cold, because in that kind of weather if you move yourself you can be very confortable and if you are at home only with heating you would pass a very good time as well.
Profile picture for user Kirillos.Saad

Submitted by Kirillos.Saad on Fri, 12/07/2019 - 15:11

Doubtless, I like winter season.